Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

1632633634635636638»

Comments

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,653 ✭✭

The photo didn’t load booo lol
    Taylormade MB 2014

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭

Don't even have to see them to know they're way cooler than the TW Taylormades

Wyoming Cowboys
  • BogeyParBogeyBogeyParBogey Trying to get better... northern ILMembers Posts: 143 ✭✭

What do you guys think the Maltby MMB-17? Having the CG farther towards the toe is attractive. I've drank the SGI/GI Kool Aid over the years and just this year picked up a MB 710 6 iron for testing. It's not as hard to hit as many people lead on, but gross mishits are obviously an issue. I'd like to consider picking up some more traditional/classic type irons, but the big name irons are too expensive.

• MIgolfer20MIgolfer20 Detroit, MIMembers Posts: 36 ✭✭

Anyone gaming MB718, love my set.

Beer makes me play better.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,058 ✭✭

@MIgolfer20 said:
    Anyone gaming MB718, love my set.

I have a set of those and they are probably my favourite current blade design on the market ( as well as the Apex MB's)

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

I'm back in blades baby

just got new 718 mb (still have the 714 6 and 5 iron)

last set was the 710 mb

Few rounds in they have been great!

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭

Can't go wrong with MP14s. An all time classic.
    I am actually going to play on Monday it looks like. Going to try to see how it's flying before that, today or tomorrow. And, going to give the green another cut today or tomorrow too. Picked up a couple sleeves of Bridgestone Tour B/X - Going to go with the TN87 and thinking about the wedge set up. Maybe trying something like like the 52 degree GW from the set and a raw Miura 58 and Ping Eye2 XG LW (strictly for bunkers) That Miura 58 brings me a lot of Joy, so we'll see. I don't have much need for my 3-wood at the course we're going so...

D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭

Going to PGA Sunday, huge motivation was to see big cat live. Chance to see the iconic. Yeah, looks like that's not going to happen, WTF! If Koepka makes it a rout I'm keeping time there short, Eat drink., watch a few guys, go home.

• COL_BCOL_B BryanMembers Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm back to using blades. My old set of 1985 Titleist Tour Models.
    They are short, and have weak lofts, but the distance is so consistent, and they are just plain straighter that the Srixons or AP2s I gamed previously.

I'm looking for a more modern equivalent. 690 MBs or 716 MBs maybe?

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9*; PX Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 63g
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15* (-1); PX Hzrdus Yellow 76g 6.0
    Srixon U65 18* Stiff (stock shaft)
    Srixon U86 23* Stiff
    Srixon Z765 5-PW; DG S300
    Titleist SM6 GW 50-12 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 SW 54-10
    Titleist SM6 LW 58-12 K Grind
    Odyssey 7S
    Titleist ProV1x
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,187 ✭✭

@COL_B said:
    I'm back to using blades. My old set of 1985 Titleist Tour Models.
    They are short, and have weak lofts, but the distance is so consistent, and they are just plain straighter that the Srixons or AP2s I gamed previously.

I'm looking for a more modern equivalent. 690 MBs or 716 MBs maybe?

I still play my original Tour Models sometimes back in the UK. Not the sweetest feeling iron, but I'll never get rid of them.

@Christen_The_Sloop said:
    Can't go wrong with MP14s. An all time classic.
    I am actually going to play on Monday it looks like. Going to try to see how it's flying before that, today or tomorrow. And, going to give the green another cut today or tomorrow too. Picked up a couple sleeves of Bridgestone Tour B/X - Going to go with the TN87 and thinking about the wedge set up. Maybe trying something like like the 52 degree GW from the set and a raw Miura 58 and Ping Eye2 XG LW (strictly for bunkers) That Miura 58 brings me a lot of Joy, so we'll see. I don't have much need for my 3-wood at the course we're going so...

Hope you get better weather than what we had today. The wind was brutal. 20~30mph, with stronger gusts, and swirling all over the place. It was really hard to read the wind direction and pick the right club. Twice I hit really sweet irons only to have the wrong club, once too much and the other too short.
    Here's an example: There's a par 4 of 310 yards, usually plays downwind. Last time I played the hole there was a breeze behind and I drove the ball just over green. Today the wind was against. I hit a lovely low drive and was still 60 yards short.
    Must say, though, that modern balls are a **** of a lot easier to play in the wind than the old wound balls. The penetrate the wind more and have less lateral movement.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,920 ✭✭

About the most brand uniform I have ever had a bag in my life. Onoff bag, wedges, irons and driver...bonus Onoff points for the roddio hybrid......Only the putter and 3 wood not conforming....

Played 18 on a half dog track. First round with them....shot 81 on a 71 course, but really I am still getting back into real grass non sim golf as so far I have a scramble and 9 under my belt before this.

These are cool sticks. I had some really gross misses (the kind a hybrid wouldn’t save). And my driver game was overall garbage, shock, but after opening with a double on a par 5, and hitting 3 trees during the round, it was a really ugly. Only birdie came on a par 3 that I thinned crap out of an 8 and ran it up to 16ft. I have myself another 4 looks and 2 lipouts that were inside of make range but meh, putting is putting. No three putts, good speed all day and some decent chipping made for bogey being my worst damage after the opener.

So for me it is really clear. Long game and tighten up in irons. I hit like 8 greens but only made one putt and right now I sorta have that look of one swing looks 70s and next looks 90s.

Iron highlights:
    Drew a 5 iron to back left pin from 190 out to 15ft. Hit 2 8s to 8-12 ft that were just fantastic, 100 yard range pw into the wind flighted down knock thingys pin high, shafts feel like steel playability wise, they really do....i lost one up, but I really think it was on my. I clubbed up one and hit it and I should have Clubbed up 2 and flighted a knockdown. Same in steel I believe was same 10 yards short elevator...

Iron lowlights. About 8 shots that look like that group of football coach looking dudes drinking 200 bud lights make in hole 16. The ugly was ugly.......I can’t even comment on how they are “forgiveness” wise to the small blades....but they softer but still miura solid...not in a better or worse way, in a different way. I like them. I hit some good shots for an unfamiliar club in current shape...

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,469 ✭✭

Biggie,
    What flatstick did you use with that set up? Glad to hear your back is allowing play and enjoyment of game again. Irons really look nice since development of some patina👍

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji TS 8.0
    Taylormade V Steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
    edited May 19, 2019 1:21am #19126

Nice work on the ace!!!!!

Thanks Mitchell, it is a Mazda studio...Fantastic putter. I got it beat up on a whim/deal, stripped and refinished it and it is the only blade style putter I feel I am as good or better than an answer from inside of 10ft. Granted it has a plumbers neck, but it is seriously an amazing putter for me. Standing over it that head looks like a block rectangle, love this putter...it has an orange grip and paintfill so seemed like it fit the set of the day and if going out with unfamiliar irons I correctly guessed it wasn’t a day for a vanity putter in combo, so I brought a comfortable business one...

Post edited by Bigmean on
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,545 ClubWRX

I had tried a set of Titleist AP2 716 irons for last year's golf season. As much as I tried to like perimeter weighted irons it wasn't working. I am back to my '99 Apex blades and am striking the ball pretty solid. I've got some early season rust to shake off but I'm already liking the change back to the Hogan blades. The feedback off of blades really lets you know whether you're striking the ball well or not.

Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips

NRJyzr
    Nice job with the ace. And with a 3i. That's a Big Boy's hole-in-one, for sure.

Here are the MP14s I mentioned the other day. I need to clean them up a little, but the faces are in good shape. I think the grips will have to be replaced.

Out of curiosity does the offset bother you any? It never did to me until I got used to less offset sets.... But it is easy to get accustomed to and I feel like that dart is the benchmark of offset for my where my tolerance is. I also think it is purely visual and doesn’t effect line in practice.

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭

Did the PGA today, incredibly well run event. Bethpage Black is diabolically long, card says 7400+ feels like 15000 walking around it. The scale of the holes, the terrain, and massive layout is something el;se. The yardage book under sells it. Severe wind was in play too. Always there and gusting quite high, 70 was a super solid round.
    Spent a few hours watching guys warming up in practice area, the tightness of their swings is humbling. Justin Rose has a great swing, machine precision to it. A modern Faldo.
    The only downside to event was that the "bargain" on food and beverages was Grey Goose on rocks at $11. Not kidding either.
    I enjoyed it and plan on going to more events major or not, could sit all day watching them warm up. The piercing ball flight, the swing and the tempo, great to watch great.

@Bigmean said:
    Out of curiosity does the offset bother you any? It never did to me until I got used to less offset sets.... But it is easy to get accustomed to and I feel like that dart is the benchmark of offset for my where my tolerance is. I also think it is purely visual and doesn’t effect line in practice.

I'm quite used to offset like that, so it doesn't bother me too much. That said, I am really enjoying my FG62s at the moment, and they don't have much offset, so switching from them to an iron like the MP14 might cause some initial problems.

• deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 480 ✭✭

Recently got a set of 2006 Hogan Apex irons as I was curious how game improvement (as measured by the Maltby Playability Factor) they really are. Really nice feeling irons and no easier or harder to hit than any of my other blades. Had to lose the green ring ferrules for some proper Hogan red rings.

I think these will stay in the modern bag for a little while.

WITB
    Macgregor M09 driver
    Macgregor M85 Super Eye-O-Matic 3&4 woods
    Cleveland Classic TC15 5-wood
    2006 Ben Hogan Apex 4-E
    Ben Hogan TK15 51* 
    Ben Hogan Special Sand Iron
    Ping bronze Anser
    edited Today @ 7:38am #19135

Good call on the ferrules, deejaid. Those green ones look out of place on a Hogan club.

Post edited by No_Catchy_Nickname at

• Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭

Second game this year. 4 greens. 25 Putts. One broken driver shaft. 81.

D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU

@Christen_The_Sloop said:
    Second game this year. 4 greens. 25 Putts. One broken driver shaft. 81.

That's some impressive scrambling. Did you get a load of rain as well? It poured down here from around 1pm.