Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• luke1333luke1333 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dciccoritti said:

@Golfjack said:

@dciccoritti said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@dciccoritti said:

@bodhi555 said:
    ...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend 👍

Have you entertained the thought of getting a 46 degree wedge? Like a Vokey or whatever that is 46 degrees. More versatility and you're not looking for distance on a PW anyway.

My PW loft on my 716's is 48 (49 on my 718's). However I am contemplating a 48 Vokey to go with with my contemplation of getting the new MP-20's. Already have a spreadsheet prepared for the new bag because you know, it's fun to contemplate :-)

Hit the mp20 for fun at local golf shop yesterday they feel good no doubt but how much better then the mp18 idk. Still need to try the new Titleist 620 mb when they are in to see which ones are the best butter

Ping G400 LST 8.5° Ping Tour Shaft Stiff
    Titleist 915Fd 15° Evenflow 75g Stiff
    Titleist 816H2 19° Diamana 100X
    Titleist 716 T-mb 4 Iron Project X 6.5
    Titleist 690MB 5-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18 54° S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 60.06 K Grind S400
    Piretti Potenza 2 36" 375g (carbon)

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

Wyoming Cowboys
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kingcat990 said:

If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NRJyzr said:

@JStang said:
    I picked up a new set of MP-69's from the classifieds and I am going to give them a run. I have been playing players CB's for a while now (716 CB's, 718 CB's, Apex Pro Dot's) and I also have a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's with the 8-PW being blades. I honestly> @NRJyzr said:

@NYCGolfNut said:
    PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

While it is a degree or two stronger than the weakest PW you will find today, 46 is pretty "traditional" by todays loft. Some peoples traditional is 50 degrees depending on how old you are.

Saying it's today's loft doesn't make it traditional, it just makes it current. Or modern. I realize lofts have been that way for most of this century, but they were a lot weaker for a lot longer. To me, that's tradition.

And yes, I know I'm nitpicking, and being a general pain. I apologize for that. But hey, it's Thursday. LOL

As compensation for having to even chat about this, I should post pics of my recently acquired MP37s...

We are not comparing club heads... Just lofts man. Run wild. Golf nomenclature can get out of hand. They should just do away with names and go by lofts.
    My last game I was hitting my 22 degree hybrid off the tee a lot. And, my partner, a gardener here in Japan who speaks probably one hundred words of English, says to me. "Baffy" I'm like "Pardon?"
    "Baffy, good!"
    So I got that going for me.
    And I got a new driver and a new 56 degree Cleveland RTX4 forged coming. Wife wasn't thrilled to see the mail today. I tried to arrange for delivery when she was out, but they sent it direct to my door (More losses in translation). She seemed less impressed when I told her I was going to hit a few balls right after opening the box... Life is a ****.
    First drive with the new driver was a glaring left to left. The Tour AD IZ needs a little care and attention when you swing the **** thing, I suppose. Ended my session putting 6/7 through the uprights with nice mid/high fades. Just gotta swing'er 90%. She'll get down on her knees for you. Really impressed with the Ping LST. Those gents know how to design a club. Loved my i20 before that too. If it wasn't more expensive to buy a club than replace a shaft I'd probably still have it in the bag.

D - Ping G400 LST Tour AD IZ 6x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90x
    4-P - Tourstage MR23 U.S. Spec CB DGX100
    52 - Tourstage TW01
    56 - Cleveland RTX4 Forged
    58 - Miura Special Edition (raw)
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU / Cleveland 588
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

Wyoming Cowboys

@Kingcat990 said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

Start a topic on it —- you’ll probably get a lot of input. Howard Jones is the club building nerd’s nerd and will likely give you detailed info re process.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

Start a topic on it —- you’ll probably get a lot of input. Howard Jones is the club building nerd’s nerd and will likely give you detailed info re process.

Man, if I start a topic on MOI building, Nessism is going to ferociously kick the door down on the thread and post a million links to the topic and ask me to use the search function :D. Ive searched it out, I may just PM Howard on the matter. I just don't like having to spend $489 on the necessary tool to do this appropriately

Wyoming Cowboys

@Kingcat990 said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

Man, if I start a topic on MOI building, Nessism is going to ferociously kick the door down on the thread and post a million links to the topic and ask me to use the search function :D. Ive searched it out, I may just PM Howard on the matter. I just don't like having to spend $489 on the necessary tool to do this appropriately

Ha! Fair enough... Howard can be a little over the top - but - it is possible to read thru his detail (and $489 in new tools) and get the basics to do it good enough for $26.85.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

edited Sep 3, 2019 12:59am #19810

Macgregor Pro 82 Japan spec FM 6 .5 - on their way.

I've been looking for a set of these for a long time. Had a little peak online this morning and say a set up for pocket change. There's another set of these I was considering overpaying for, so I guess there is a god. I've been meaning to try FM6.5 again, so it's a pretty good deal all around.

Post edited by Christen_The_Sloop on
    52 - Tourstage TW01
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Christen_The_Sloop said:
    Macgregor Pro 82 Japan spec FM 6 .5 - on their way.

I've been looking for a set of these for a long time. Had a little peak online this morning and say a set up for pocket change. There's another set of these I was considering overpaying for, so I guess there is a god. I've been meaning to try FM6.5 again, so it's a pretty good deal all around.

I find that Macgregor pricing can be a bit weird on the auction sites here, but probably not as loopy as for Hogans. I can't help thinking it's down to some old guys trying recuperate the cash they forked over during the bubble years for irons that are now 30 years old.
    As for the FM shafts, I like them a lot, but the 6.5 is a bit much for me. I've got some Mizunos with 5.5 (bit too soft) and Mac R58s with 6.5 (bit too stiff), so I really need to find a set with FM6.0s. That said, when I get back to playing, the 5.5s might be just right for me.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
    edited Sep 3, 2019 3:59am #19812

There are two more sets of the PRO 82 on Yahoo auction. One is brand new. The other looks pristine. hoping mine come something like that. The photos were a little grainy, but the shaft bands looked perfect and the heads, from what I could make out, are nice. It looks like they were being auctioned by a recycling shop in Gifu-ken. Whoever got them didn't know what they were, is my guess.

There are a few of totally unrealistic people on Yahoo auction. They probably just hope someone like themselves will swoop in and overpay for something. A lot of those sets sit there forever.

I have been really diligent about checking certain sets and have gotten rewarded a few times. This is one set I really wanted. There's a good thread on PRO 82s in the classic section. Basically, there are supposedly Miura forged and they were used by the GOAT to win the 86 Masters. Can't wait until they show up - but I have to find a safe time to get them as my wife saw another box last week. By the way, the Ping LST with Tour AD IZ 6x is pretty nice. Fades for days.

52 - Tourstage TW01
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2019 3:20am #19813

That pristine set is kinda tempting, but still more than I'd be willing to pay. I'm assuming you paid lot less (you said pocket change), so if your set are anything like that, you've done well.
    And you got me looking at Mac irons again on Yahoo Auc, you sod!

Must...resist....

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well maybe not as exciting as Mac Pro 82s but I did hit my pristine set of FC-4000s on the range today along with the woods that came with them. My back is killing me. I guess the old body can not take those stiff heavy Pro Pels any more. A friend of mine over on the Classics forum sent them to me a year or so ago. I had played a few 9 hole rounds with them in the past. Decided to hit them yesterday. Was pureeing them yesterday and got excited and over extended myself hit 2 buckets ouch I am in agony now and in my massage chair with the heat on

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

Stu, I've got some nice Mac Toney Penna woods with Pro Pel 1 shafts in them. They're like rebar.

edited Sep 3, 2019 5:29am #19816

@No_Catchy_Nickname said:
    That pristine set is kinda tempting, but still more than I'd be willing to pay. I'm assuming you paid lot less (you said pocket change), so if your set are anything like that, you've done well.
    And you got me looking at Mac irons again on Yahoo Auc, you sod!

Must...resist....

You don't want to search for Tourney Custom sets. That's bad. Don't do that... Tourney Custom

52 - Tourstage TW01

Too late! What has been seen cannot be unseen.
    I really don't need any new sets right now. Heck, I can't even play at the moment!

edited Sep 3, 2019 12:09pm #19819

Not much to go on... But, this is all I've got.

52 - Tourstage TW01

I messed up and looked at Tourney Custom last night. Then looked at Murifield. Then MacGregor in general. Although you warned me, I'm still a little disappointed in myself.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • 3riC3riC Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Golfingfanatic said:

After playing most of this year with cb irons (I'm sorry), I got the itch again. Found a decent deal on a set of 680 15th AE with some of the heads still in wrappers.
    They are gorgeous. Definitely different from the more modern blades I've had previously. Short irons are bigger with more offset. But I like them that way. The added offset helps me a lot with partial shots, I feel.

That looks stunning!!

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° Oban Devotion 65-04
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° Oban Devotion 75-04
    Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW Nippon Modus 125S
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 KBS Tour 120S
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 KBS Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

C_T_S
    I see what you mean about grainy. They look pretty good though, and you gotta love those ferrules.

C_T_S
    I see what you mean about grainy. They look pretty good though, and you gotta love those ferrules.

I don't think I'll be changing them up. If I do, they're probably worthy of some nice new ones - from the Boyd ferrule company.
    We shouldn't read much into it. But, I think the graininess of the photos is directly related to the estimated worth the shop put on the clubs. They were one of them quick sale, buy at the price type auctions. There was no bidding. Definitely psyched to see these ones.

My last trip to the range I took the TN87 out along with the MR23 and there was no comparison. The TNs will see the door for good this time with little regret. I don't have the game for the long irons and the short irons are just alright. Still waiting to find a set of MR23 blades.

52 - Tourstage TW01

C_T_S

I don't think I'll be changing them up. If I do, they're probably worthy of some nice new ones - from the Boyd ferrule company.
    We shouldn't read much into it. But, I think the graininess of the photos is directly related to the estimated worth the shop put on the clubs. They were one of them quick sale, buy at the price type auctions. There was no bidding. Definitely psyched to see these ones.

My last trip to the range I took the TN87 out along with the MR23 and there was no comparison. The TNs will see the door for good this time with little regret. I don't have the game for the long irons and the short irons are just alright. Still waiting to find a set of MR23 blades.

The local shop had a set of the MR23 blades in earlier this year. I saw them one day, and the next day they were gone. Someone knew what they were.

As for poor quality photos, I don't mind them so much when they're selling the product cheaply. It's the sellers who mark up some "rare" set of irons with just one or two poor quality pictures of the clubs lined up against the wall and no close-ups. And usually there's no decent description of the product to go with the lousy photos. Who's going to drop tens of thousands of yen on something they can barely see?

Right - When I see someone doing that I just click through. The thing with classic clubs is, there is always someone out there that doesn't know the value. So, if you are patient, and you know what you are looking for, and you have a bit of luck... You might get a nice set of sticks for the price of a pizza (which in Japan, is actually quite expensive).

I've got my back as set as can be for the fall season. I am just wondering what I should do with the shaft in the 52. It's a NS950 stiff. It doesn't 'go' with the rest of my set up, but I hit it on the nuts every time. Like, I have never swung a wedge better. I am thinking to put an S400 in it and have it the same length as my PW or my SW. Am I stupid? I will probably leave it for the time being or maybe just get another one and put in the S400.

52 - Tourstage TW01

Right - When I see someone doing that I just click through. The thing with classic clubs is, there is always someone out there that doesn't know the value. So, if you are patient, and you know what you are looking for, and you have a bit of luck... You might get a nice set of sticks for the price of a pizza (which in Japan, is actually quite expensive).

I've got my back as set as can be for the fall season. I am just wondering what I should do with the shaft in the 52. It's a NS950 stiff. It doesn't 'go' with the rest of my set up, but I hit it on the nuts every time. Like, I have never swung a wedge better. I am thinking to put an S400 in it and have it the same length as my PW or my SW. Am I stupid? I will probably leave it for the time being or maybe just get another one and put in the S400.

If the shaft works for you, don't change it...unless it makes you feel unconfident on the course.
    I bought a set with NSPRO 950S shafts a few years ago. I hit them well in terms of timing, but couldn't control the ball flight (overdraw, ballooning). I sold them back before I ever took them to the course.

Incidentally, is it a bit longer than your usual GW? NSPRO shafts often are. That might explain why you hit it well, because the longer shaft suits you. Just a random thought.

If the shaft works for you, don't change it...unless it makes you feel unconfident on the course.
    I bought a set with NSPRO 950S shafts a few years ago. I hit them well in terms of timing, but couldn't control the ball flight (overdraw, ballooning). I sold them back before I ever took them to the course.

Incidentally, is it a bit longer than your usual GW? NSPRO shafts often are. That might explain why you hit it well, because the longer shaft suits you. Just a random thought.

That's some good insight. It is actually a little longer. And I notice I can hit the thing sky high sometimes. I've noticed a lot of clubs in Japan don't work for me, simply because they are too short. The set I am using has a set of X100s I purchased new and had put in. They are based off some Titleist 990s I had way back. I may end up switching out the NS950. I'd like to keep my wedges all the same length as a little experiment (or simply to keep things simple).

52 - Tourstage TW01
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Members Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the consensus on Titleist 690 MB? I saw the pictures of the 680's which look awesome but I've never seen these in person or hit. I've always been won over on soft feel for feedback and turf interaction. I've been gaming my MP18's but wanted to take the old 690's out for a golf trip next week since they have x100's on them. I don't know if it's just because I'm hitting something new but I've been really liking these iron/shaft combo's at the range. Seem like they have little bounce so can really dig if you're too steep. It does appear like the 690's have more offset than I'd like to see. Makes me want to try the new 620's out. These 690's are pretty beat up.

• LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts or still playing Mizuno mp68s? Thanks.

• wrm2120wrm2120 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 7:02pm #19830

I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7:g:5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

Driver: Callaway XR 16
    3 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner HL
    Irons: Ping S-55 (3-PW)
    Wedges: Ping Glide (50, 54 & 58)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Ball: Callaway Chromesoft TrueVis
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

First few rounds with the 680s in the bag and I am in love. They give me a nice, high flight and plenty stopping power.

Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red 34"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file