Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wrm2120 said:
    I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7:g:5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

Very hard to find where I am, but Dustin Johnson won lots of money with them, and they are based off a classic Hogan design*, so what's not to love? I'd love to try them.

• and you can probably find something similar to that design even further back
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Members Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@wrm2120 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7:g:5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Very hard to find where I am, but Dustin Johnson won lots of money with them, and they are based off a classic Hogan design*, so what's not to love? I'd love to try them.

• and you can probably find something similar to that design even further back

I played those for a year and loved them. That is, until I upgraded to MP18's. The 18's look almost identical at address to me but beat them out in every possible category. I still have the heads (minus the 8i that I left at a range and was never returned) but I would probably never bother playing them again as long as I have the 18's laying around.

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The TM MBs are nice. They are basically a Hogan Personal / Mizuno MP29 design. Not the smallest head out there, but a good option. If you look at the Rose Protos from Honma you can see the influence, too (No suprise given JR used those TM blades).

Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red 34"
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wrm2120 said:

Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

• wrm2120wrm2120 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭

@Nard_S said:

@wrm2120 said:

Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

I think I'm going to try and find something at a GG or something like it that has that shaft first. My S55s have the stock Ping CFS shaft, which is "okay," but every set of irons I've ever had in the past all had S300s. I'm not sure how I'd do with something lighter than that, especially since fittings usually recommend x100s (which feel too heavy to me).

Though I am also wondering if I should grab these, since they're such a good deal, and then reshaft them if I don't get along well with them.

Driver: Callaway XR 16
    3 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner HL
    Irons: Ping S-55 (3-PW)
    Wedges: Ping Glide (50, 54 & 58)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Ball: Callaway Chromesoft TrueVis
  • mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nard_S said:

@wrm2120 said:

I read somewhere that the effect Faldo’s changes had on the look of the transition from the hosel to the blade were epic...the TM designers couldn’t believe how his subtle changes really improved the look at address.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stu, I've got some nice Mac Toney Penna woods with Pro Pel 1 shafts in them. They're like rebar.

You are darn skippy on that one makes my back go in to spasms just THINKING about trying to hit one of those

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

@LowAndLeft32 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts or still playing Mizuno mp68s? Thanks.

I have a set of them I have not played them in a while. I got them with S-300s but changed them to R-300s--- Like them all right they are my reserve "conforming Set" if I decide to come out of retirement and play comp again. IMHO they are underrated

LW Ping Zing 60* Stock

@wrm2120 said:

@Nard_S said:

@wrm2120 said:

I think I'm going to try and find something at a GG or something like it that has that shaft first. My S55s have the stock Ping CFS shaft, which is "okay," but every set of irons I've ever had in the past all had S300s. I'm not sure how I'd do with something lighter than that, especially since fittings usually recommend x100s (which feel too heavy to me).

Though I am also wondering if I should grab these, since they're such a good deal, and then reshaft them if I don't get along well with them.

S400 might be the ticket, I cannot relate to X100 at all but the S400 is killer good. As to re-shaft, I have 6 sets where redo of shafts is in order. It's really a frustrating issue in that unless you're setup and comfortable to execute on it, you're sitting on pretty irons that are dead money. I'll get there this Fall. I have dowel production slated for next month and will start going at re-buildoing irons to my preferences.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Small update on my MP37 usage...

They've been lovely, to sum it in a short phrase. I'd forgotten about the bounce they have in the years since I first had a set, and have benefitted from it on occasion. Excellent accuracy, as well. The feel is exactly what you'd expect from a Mizuno of this vintage, which is magnified lately, as I've been playing Wilson Staff Duo Professional balls. Its a lot of pillow like contact. :)

The set I scored were in really nice shape, surprisingly so. There are a couple odd dings in a couple of clubfaces, higher on the face (hence the "odd"), but on the whole, rather healthy. Combined with the price I paid, just over $200 US, feeling a bit lucky.

Only thing wrong with these is the hosels. As I've continued to demonstrate, shots off the hosels are remarkably inaccurate.

Once my pup gets energetic about going outside, I'll see about pics....

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* set to 10.5*, Xcaliber T6+, TS, 44.25", D6
    3w:  Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 14*, stock stiff, 42.5", D5
    1i:  Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Scratch 8620 58*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game

Played today. Had a clean shot at going sub 80 gross. Ended up 82 with 8 pars and a bird. Best round since June. Greens were blazing. Used the Titleist 681's. Man, do I like those sticks.

@Svingit said:
    Hi,
    New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

Nice Wilson's! Never heard of "49's". Great find Best of luck.

• SvingitSvingit SwedenMembers Posts: 7 ✭✭

Nard_S said:

Svingit said:
    Hi,
    New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

Nice Wilson's! Never heard of "49's". Great find Best of luck.

Thanks :) The little information I have found in other forums is that Nick Faldo was involed in the process of making them and they was only sold in Europe.

Driver: King F9 10.5° (9°), 44,25", Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    3-9: Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade, DG S400.
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50°, 54°, 58°
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W

• Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

D - Ping G400 LST Tour AD IZ 6x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90x
    4-P - Tourstage MR23 U.S. Spec CB DGX100
    52 - Tourstage TW01
    56 - Cleveland RTX4 Forged
    58 - Miura Special Edition (raw)
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU / Cleveland 588
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Svingit said:
    Hi,

Love those 49s. I had heard they were a Europe-only release, but I didn't know Nick Faldo had a hand in their design. That might make them easy to date, because IIRC he wasn't at Wilson that long. Mid-Eighties? It was before he went to Mizuno, I think.
    There used to be a couple of British WRXers on here who knew an unhealthy amount about Nick Faldo's clubs.

edited Sep 11, 2019 10:20am #19848

@Christen_The_Sloop said:
    Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

Were they in the condition you hoped they'd be?
    I got a semi-greenlight from the wife for more ho'ing: she bought some new trouser-type things the other day then came downstairs crestfallen yesterday holding a near-identical pair that she's bought months before and forgotten about. I told her that I could account for all of my 22 sets of irons, so I was good to go for a set or two more. She didn't argue back!

Note: I counted up later, and found I actually have 24 sets of irons. Ooops. None identical, though.

Edit: Double oops. 25 sets. I forgot about the pristine Muirfields in the cupboard.

• Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got a semi-greenlight from the wife for more ho'ing: she bought some new trouser-type things the other day then came downstairs crestfallen yesterday holding a near-identical pair that she's bought months before and forgotten about. I told her that I could account for all of my 22 sets of irons, so I was good to go for a set or two more. She didn't argue back!

Note: I counted up later, and found I actually have 24 sets of irons. Ooops. None identical, though.

Edit: Double oops. 25 sets. I forgot about the pristine Muirfields in the cupboard.

I've been meaning to count up all the sets in my possession, it's expanding slowly, but surely... If you visit yahoo auction enough there are going to be offers you can't refuse... set of classic Yamahas reshafted with Modus 105X for $50 for example. You can't get one of those shafts installed for that much, so therein lies the dilemma.

I always miss a set or two when I do the mental calculation, so it's fun to rediscover them, still gotta thin them out a bit...

I'll have that box in my hands at 2pm, Catchy and if they are nice, I'll put up a few pics. I am actually pretty sure they'll be alright. The shaft bands usually tell a lot, and they looked clean...

D - Ping G400 LST Tour AD IZ 6x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90x
    4-P - Tourstage MR23 U.S. Spec CB DGX100
    52 - Tourstage TW01
    56 - Cleveland RTX4 Forged
    58 - Miura Special Edition (raw)
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU / Cleveland 588

Wow, C_T_S, they're nice! Very good condition. The wear on the PW doesn't look too bad at all, and there appear be no gouge marks on any of them. What don't you like about the grind? Sharp leading edge?

BTW, I couldn't find those Yamahas you mentioned. I am quite interested in trying Modus 105X shafts, but my back is still not up to a full swing. I am managing to do some pitching practice, though.

• LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Wanted to get your thoughts on the Nike Original blades. Thinking about getting a set!

@LowAndLeft32 said:
    Hi guys. Wanted to get your thoughts on the Nike Original blades. Thinking about getting a set!

They're great. Simple as that. If you find a set in condition for a good price, go for it.

I love the weak lofts and didn't change mine.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 2:05pm #19854

I had a few chances to get original Nike blades several times, and didn't. I passed on them only due to procrastination, they vanished before I could act. :)

When I've actually hit them, they're in that top shelf level, such as I could tell from such limited time with them.

Also rather like the weaker lofts, fewer wedges to have to buy. A 30* club is only a 30* club, regardless of the number someone has stamped on the sole.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* set to 10.5*, Xcaliber T6+, TS, 44.25", D6
    3w:  Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 14*, stock stiff, 42.5", D5
    1i:  Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Scratch 8620 58*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • phil gphil g Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

New to the forum and I just picked up a very gently used set of 716 mb. These have handily beat you he ap2 s out of my bag. Blades are just great. I think I am in honeymoon phase but have tourney on the weekend and I know I will be gaming them. The have s400 in them as well.

• SvingitSvingit SwedenMembers Posts: 7 ✭✭

Everything looks in order. Faces and backs are really clean, just a little discoloration/wear on the soles of the 5 and P. Oh well. Love the square toe and how they frame the ball, but not so sure about the grind.

Lovely clubs. Love the classic look and the flat sole.

Driver: King F9 10.5° (9°), 44,25", Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    3-9: Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade, DG S400.
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50°, 54°, 58°
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W

@deejaid said:
    After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

Perhaps the Wilsons are like what VIPs and certain Muirfields are to me---- But then again when I first met you on here you were a self described Hogan man----- Of course I fell in love with those old Teardrop KZGs too--- But then again maybe you found your set for all time

LW Ping Zing 60* Stock

Everything looks in order. Faces and backs are really clean, just a little discoloration/wear on the soles of the 5 and P. Oh well. Love the square toe and how they frame the ball, but not so sure about the grind.

I can tell you from experience those butter knife Macs can dig. If I play them all the time I am ok. If I don't for a while and have been playing my CBs I can dig some. Monday I was off work and went to the range with a mixture of clubs in the range bag. Had a 5,7 and 8 Special Order Tourney Custom 985s that a fellow WRXer sent me. Those 985s are Special Order and appear to be the same grind as your 82s. Anyhow when I first started hitting them I dug some which I am a digger anyhow. But remember I have played Mac blades most of my life so I got used to them again. I was also bagging a Mac Mashie niblick hickory and a Mac Fairway iron also hickory. Also had a persimmon Toney Penna Model 1 driver. Had my 915 D-2 because I was doing some tinkering with it. But had a fun couple of hours at the range

LW Ping Zing 60* Stock

I've been meaning to count up all the sets in my possession, it's expanding slowly, but surely... If you visit yahoo auction enough there are going to be offers you can't refuse... set of classic Yamahas reshafted with Modus 105X for $50 for example. You can't get one of those shafts installed for that much, so therein lies the dilemma.

I always miss a set or two when I do the mental calculation, so it's fun to rediscover them, still gotta thin them out a bit...

I'll have that box in my hands at 2pm, Catchy and if they are nice, I'll put up a few pics. I am actually pretty sure they'll be alright. The shaft bands usually tell a lot, and they looked clean...

Yep I always do a mental miscalculation and miscount ------ I think for club hoes like you and I it can be easy to do----- I do have one excuse I am over 60 so I qualify for "senior moments"

LW Ping Zing 60* Stock

• deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BIG STU said:

@deejaid said:
    After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

Perhaps the Wilsons are like what VIPs and certain Muirfields are to me---- But then again when I first met you on here you were a self described Hogan man----- Of course I fell in love with those old Teardrop KZGs too--- But then again maybe you found your set for all time

I don’t know, I never planned on becoming a Wilson guy, it just happened. I just feel comfortable standing over the ball with the 58’s. I still like Hogan’s but I’ve always been an Arnie fan and when people ask about my clubs I enjoy telling them these are the same irons he used to win the 1958 Masters and probably all his majors if he used this model all the way through 1964 before leaving Wilson.

The bag....Stan Thompson persimmon woods, ‘58 Wilson Dynapowered irons, Ping Day putter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file