Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

1670671672673674676»

Comments

• JonesyJonesy Durban, South Africa 1569WRX Points: 164Members Posts: 1,569
    Posted:
    Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
    Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
    Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
    Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
    Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

@No_Catchy_Nickname I finally replaced the LW

The old guy was a bit tired

Posted:
    Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5894WRX Points: 1,072Handicap: meMembers Posts: 5,894

Got to take them and get them up! Hopefully do it over the Bank Holiday weekend, but I'm playing tomorrow, and going to watch a rugby game on Sunday.

I'm also looking at swapping my Yoro MP4s for a non-Yoro set of MP4s that has carbon shafts (Attas 115X) and are half an inch over standard length. While the Yoro MP4s look great, the PW feels like a lollipop stick, and I'd prefer to play clubs that set up right for me.

I saw pics of your new wedge and your Old Faithful in the New Purchases thread. Impressive stuff. Is that sole wear purely from use, or did you grind it at all? Judging by the face, I'd guess it's from use only, but I'm just amazed that the loft number has been worn away. It must be a good few grams lighter now then when you first bought it.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Welcome to the X Proto club! I think you'll be impressed by them 😎 Who's playing on Sunday? Local league?

It will be sad to see those Yoro MP 4's go but I hear you, rather have the right setup. Interested to hear your thoughts on the graphite shafts v steel.

The wear is all from playing and practice, never took a grinder to it at all. I got asked the same question the other day and the chap was amazed to find out I hadn't taken a grinder to it 😅 It is definitely lighter, I actually didn't realize by how much until I got the new one, it feels like a sledgehammer to me which is strange but it's nice having actual grooves again...

Posted:
    Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5894WRX Points: 1,072Handicap: meMembers Posts: 5,894

The X-Protos are a set I've been wanting for a while. This one was just too good to pass up, even over the TN-87s. I traded some old wedges and stuff in, and ended up paying about $30US for them, so I'm more than happy.

I'm pretty curious about trying graphite shafts in irons. The Attas 115X are pretty stout, and I did not feel I had to make any compensations. Also, the graphite-shafted clubs weighed in at 10g less than my Yoros with Modus 125X shafts; which means they should be better for my back.

The rugby is domestic league. There's a team near me that's in the top league (as of this season, I think), and I have been wanting to go watch the for a while. Now my little daughter is into rugby (I took her to the England-Australia quarter final match, and she enjoyed the whole experience), it's easy to make it a family day out. The match is in the same stadium where I watched France play America in the group stages of the World Cup, and it's not too hard to get to; better than the quarter final venue which was a nightmare.

Now for important matters. That old wedge is just amazing. I've seen wear, and I've seen wear-spots, but I've never seen the sole worn down that much by just use alone. I did a self-custom grind on an old Cally X-Jaws 58* once, and as part of that, I ground off the numbers on the toe of the sole, but it took me a fair few minutes with an electric belt grinder to get to the sort of state your wedge is in👍️

Posted:

Played this last Saturday with my regular group at a course I'd never played before in Saga Prefecture. We were lucky to get some great weather; at first it was a a bit cold and cloudy, but it was dead calm, then by the afternoon we got a slight breeze--about half a club's worth--but warmer temperatures and sunshine. Couldn't ask for more.

I was playing with my FG62s (5-PW), and I also put my new Cleveland RTX4 Forged wedges into play (52* and 58*).

I've been fighting a flip ever since I started playing again in September after my hernia. In fact, I think I was doing it before the injury, just to a lesser extent. Basically, I'm afraid of turning the hips too much in case I hurt myself again, so subconsciously I am stopping my hips in the downswing, which means my hands get ahead and I flip the club, usually leading to massive pull hooks. To prevent this, I found shortening the backswing to be a good short-term solution, but it also results in a loss of power. Still, that better than hooking the ball OB.

So, front nine I played OK, some nice iron shots in particular, including a 5i over water (3-putted for bogey...), a nice 8i on a downhill lie on 9 over water. The line was great, but it rolled out too much to leave a viable birdie chance. Also, a nice high soaring 7i on a short par 3 over water to within 10ft. Missed the birdie putt, though. Ended with a 38 with 18 putts.

Then, we had a lunch break of nearly an hour and half. The course was packed, so it was backed up, although we got through the first nine in just under 2 hours 15 mins, which isn't bad for a foursome in one cart and cart-path only.

By the time we started the back nine, my muscles had started to stiffen up, and the flip returned. I managed to limit the damage by about the 5th hole, but it never fully went away, and I closed with a 44 for an 82.

Irons were the best part of the game, followed by the short game. My tee game was OK in that I didn't have any serious misses, but with my flipping I'm not getting my old distance. Putting was terrible, but we all struggled on the greens. First, the practice green was noticeably slower than the actual greens, so it took us a while to adjust. Second, every putt was pretty much straight! It wasn't just me, we all said this. We were all reading break into putts that wasn't there. Never putted on greens like that; if anything, it's usually the other way round.

I think over winter, I need to strengthen my lower back, and get over my mental block about turning my hips. If I turn properly, it doesn't actually hurt at all, I just have to convince myself of that.

Posted:

Advertisement

One more thing. I traded in my Yoro MP4s today...for more MP4s.

The Yoros had Modus 125X shafts in them at standard length, or just a little under, which means a PW at 35.5" (to the end of the grip when I measured it). The short irons felt too short for me, and the shafts really, really stiff until about the 7i. In fact, I loved the feel of the Modus 15s in the middle and long irons, but hated in the short ones. Recently, I noticed a 4-PW of MP4s in great condition with Attas 115X shafts at +0.5" over standard, so the PW starts at 36". My god, it felt so much better at address.

Static weight was 10g lighter than the Yoro with Modus shafts, but the swing weight is 2 points heavier. I'll probably need to adjust the lofts a little so they blend in with my wedges.

I'd like to stick to the PW-52*-58* setup if possible.

Posted:

I think this thread might just have run its course...but I still want to put in a word about the MP4s with Attas 115X carbon shafts I just got and tried out at the range today.

In a word, amazing. I really like the extra 0.5" in the short irons as it stops me feeling hunched over the ball. I don't really need it in the longer irons, but it has given me an idea about re-shafting an old set up with a PW starting at 36" then going up in 3/8" increments, so I get closer to standard lengths in the long irons. I think some Macgregor iron sets were made that way.

The Attas shafts feel great, though I need to see how they perform with real balls instead of the lousy range balls. I certainly didn't see any ballooning, but I was getting a nice, high ball flight that was still penetrating. Also, I felt enough flex in the shaft to not feel any need to force it, yet it was still stiff enough that I never felt it was getting away from me.

I adjusted the PW to 48* and went down in 4* increments from there, except I left 3* between the 5i and 4i (25*) just to make it that bit easier to hit (more mental than anything). I had to do weaken the PW, because I was seeing a gap of about 20 yards between it and my new 52* wedge. Incidentally, I like that both the shafts in my 52* and 58* are 35.5" as it blends in nicely with the 36" PW.

I also adjusted the lies. They were pretty flat, and I found the toe was digging into the mat. IIRC, the PW was between 61* and 60*, and I bumped it to a hair over 64*. I had to do something similar with the rest of the set, too.

My only grumble is that the face of the 7i appears to be oddly closed to me. Not sure if it's just me, and I don't know of a way to check if it, nor adjust it.

Posted:

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6925WRX Points: 997Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,925

I've noticed something odd with this thread lately, even when there are new posts, it's not been showing up as unread to me. Such as this morning. I happened to notice it at the top of the "posts I've participated in" list, but it was marked as read. As such, I've missed several days worth of posts. Odd.

Catchy, I don't believe irons have a face angle the way woods do. They can, though, be weighted such that they roll in a specific direction when soled with a loose grip pressure.

What you're describing with the longer short irons and PW is something I've done with my clubs for quite a few years. I've tried to have my PW be at the same length as my 9 iron, at 36", in part due to my shortish arms; not fond of having to bend that far at address or in the swing. I also tried the 3/8" length slope idea with my set of Ram TG-898s, the previous owner had set them up that way, starting with a 36" PW. I admit I didn't really notice much, other than really appreciating the slightly longer short irons. The performance, such as I remember, was as I'd expected.

Not sure this thread has played out, for a fair number of us, it's dead winter, and golf is forced to the back burner somewhat. I know it has been for me. Though interestingly, as a necessary side effect to having bought a new car for myself, my wife and I reorganized the golf clubs in our garage, with the irons now being stored in our house, the extra sets rubber banded together. Found my imagination ramping up on how I might use this or that set, including the Wilson 78 Tour Blades I've never actually played. I'd always thought they were a mixed set, and have a couple of odd club lengths, but it turns out it's largely just the 7 iron that is mismatched, with a Dynamic Regular, while the rest of the set is Dynamic Stiff. Giving some thought to buying a replacement, regripping them, and taking them out on the course.

Though, a lot of work for a set that's not really part of the standard rotation. LOL

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

You're right about it not showing up as unread! You posted after me, yet on the Equipment forum just now, the thread was showing as already read (not bolded). Odd...

Regarding the shaft lengths, I've had a problem with short irons for a while now simply because I feel I am reaching down with them too much. On the other hand, I don't want massively extended long irons because that makes good contact harder. Hence the 3/8" increment idea. Definitely an experiment I want to try, and I have a set of clubs that need reshafting😁

Posted:

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6925WRX Points: 997Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,925

Wanted to comment on the graphite shafts, also...

You may remember a couple years ago, I went through the process of setting up one of my Golden Ram sets with NV 105 graphite. I found they provided excellent wind play, much better than I'd expected. It reminds me of something that's often said about the potential of graphite shafts, they can do much more with the flex profile than can be accomplished with steel. Makes one wonder if my observed results are the product of Aldila's efforts in that regard, or if it's merely power of suggestion on my part. LOL

As a side note: those NV105 were available for a long time at Hireko, but the supply is finally exhausted. End of an era.

I keep watching the graphite shaft options, seeing if Aldila will be coming out with a replacement for the RIP Tours of a few years ago. It's been rumored for a while, but nothing has materialized, at least not that I've noticed. Also wish there were more options in heavier shaft weights, but maybe I've become a dinosaur in that arena; few want 130g iron shafts anymore. And maybe I should start thinking about lighter myself, at 56 now and won't be getting any younger. 

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

Advertisement

Age and the hernia were the other two reasons why I decided on these MP4s so quickly. I liked the extra length of the shafts, but also figured that they'd be easier to swing.

I'm also looking at steel shafts in the 115g range. Heavy shafts help me drop the club into the slot, but I've got be realistic about what I can continue to play.

Posted:

• Nard_SNard_S  3680WRX Points: 725Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,680

Yeah, I'll 3rd the thread showing up as "read" on my participation page.

I'm not sure thread has fully run course (yet) because I 'll have a bunch of preening posts about builds coming in the pike, lol. Also, somewhat odd but WRX has become less toxic about blades and such in last year or two. Minds are opening a bit or people are drinking the koolaid, depends you're POV. Quite remarkable the slew of OEM offerings that abound these days, would not have imagined it 5 years ago. Who knew Ping would issue their own BB. Personally, love the new Cobra's Fowler is using. But I'm so knee deep in sets doubt I would up and buy if they went retail. Have my dollars earmarked on shafts and bombardier gear of driver and fairways. Right now, my swing is in stinkville but it's cleaning up of late. Started a gym routine, which knocked body IQ down to 60 while my muscles adjust to fitness again (been a while). Also, realized my takeaway had a flaw and made a tweak that set me righteous. Played 12 last Friday, have hit the range an average of 2X a week past month, not bad for Yankee winter, so no complaints.

Posted:
  • bodhi555bodhi555  922WRX Points: 289Handicap: 8Members Posts: 922

Add me in as well to the not seeing the thread, was always showing as no new posts for me, even though it was near the top? Agreed this thread hasnt run it's course at all - still plenty of new releases out there, and I'm sure we all have some models from the past we haven't hit yet - for instance if a set of Apex 99s or even TP-9s turn up in a used rack near me there's a good chance they'll come home with me 🤔

Progress has been a stop start for me due to the **** rain, but the Shotscope has proved very interesting so far. It really is hassle free - install the tags, set up your bag and courses then off you go. It picks up which course you are playing and loads it automatically when you get there. When out on the course it goes about its business with very little input - just tag where the pin is and how many putts you had - all with one button press. The data it picks up is really good - takes a little getting used to but I can see the potential. For instance at the moment my distances are all over the place, as I didn't realise you could mark a shot as "Positional" after the round and take it out the yardage calculations - so my 5 iron is looking a little short as it's including some fairly heroic punch outs 😂 well worth the £139 though.

Have only got out to test it a couple of times though with the weather - played in a couple of winter league games where I could. Was mid 80s for both whilst tinkering with a new bag set up and the (hopefully) last of the swing changes - so lots of potential to improve when the ground conditions get a bit more consistent. Last round could have been much worse after some wayward tee shots, but my irons were about the best the ever been - I'd tell you my average proximity if I could figure out that part of shotscope 😂

Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder  23WRX Points: 26Handicap: 6.6Members Posts: 23

Your MP-14 look a lot like my MP-20s , I also play MP-5s , and MP-4s -- all three are great clubs to play. I have Recoil graphite shafts in the MP-20s... so far very happy with the change.

Posted:

Well, I'm glad to hear the thread isn't dying. I felt I was pretty much talking to myself over the last few days, but the thread not showing up as unread might have caused that.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Jimjam651Jimjam651  101WRX Points: 76Handicap: 3Members Posts: 101

So the MP68s are back in the bag, need to gap test them but I'm hoping these can finally become a permanent fixture! Added some 919 Tours to the long irons for a bit of help!

If anyone catches me swapping to another set of irons before these are worn out, shout at me!!!!

Posted:

Driver - Titleist 910 D3 10.5 Motore Speeder VC6.1
    3 wood - Titleist 910 F 15 Motore Speeder VC 7.1
    Hybrid - Titleist 910 H 19 Diamana Kai'li
    Irons - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4 - 5 KBS Tour
    Irons - Mizuno MP 68 6 - PW KBS Tour
    Wedges - 52, 56 & 60 SM7
    Putter - Yes! Callie

Two 5-irons in the bag? Aren't the 919 Tours quite similar in lofts to the MP68s?

Posted:

I use the MP68 5 iron for range work to reduce wear on the other clubs :)

The 919 Tours actually blend well with the 68s if you want four degree loft increments as the 919 tour 5 iron is 27 degrees and the 68 6 iron is 31 degrees

Posted:

Wedges - 52, 56 & 60 SM7
    Putter - Yes! Callie

Got it. The 919 tours do seem to blend well with the 68s (and other recent MP offerings, for that matter).

I was close to buying a set of 68s late last year, but I held off because the shafts weren't a good fit for me. I've heard people say they are one of Mizuno's softest-feeling irons.

Posted:

They are nice. I can't compare them to the other Mizuno blades but they are noticeably softer than Titleist 718 CB and MB which are almost clicky in comparison.

I still need to gap test them but they certainly flight the ball nicely.

Posted:

Wedges - 52, 56 & 60 SM7
    Putter - Yes! Callie

Advertisement
  • NixLix26NixLix26  372WRX Points: 118Handicap: 4Members Posts: 372

Question for you guys. I have played quite a few different models of blades. Titleist , Mizuno, Nike.

I recently got a good deal on a set of Callaway Apex MB's in the raw finish. I really want these clubs to be the one. But the shaft in them may be wrong for me.

Life long dynamic gold S300 or S400 player. These came with true temper 120 S400 TI. I wont lie, the thin wall to save 10 grams in these shafts makes them feel i guess not solid, almost cheap.

Anyway I think if I put my standard go to S300 it should make them feel more of what i am looking for. A solid (but soft) impact. fingers crossed.

anybody else been down this road or similar before?

Posted:
    905R-8.5
    906F2 - 13*
    X Forged - 3 iron
    Apex MB Raw (18) - 4-PW
    52* - J38 raw
    60* - Clvlnd 588 gunmetal
    8802 style TW Ram Tour Grind

[/size]

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • PReardonPReardon  13WRX Points: 26Members Posts: 13

Sorry if I'm interrupting the conversation but, i was at a little winter tune up thing my golf coach told me about ( i play high school) and i was getting some great advice on swinging with an iron vs a wood and i pulled out my 7 iron to take a few swings and i hit maybe 2 balls before i decided i was too tight to swing and put the club down leaning against my bag and stretched, i picked my club back up and went to grab a ball and as i leaned over to reach into the bucket and in doing so i heard a loud snap only to look down and find out that the head of my club had snapped off and was beyond repair, I finished the lesson and afterwards me and my coach checked all my irons to see if something was wrong with them and we discover that 3 other clubs had hairline cracks going down the shaft, i did some research and called mizuno only to find out that my warranty on the clubs expired last month, it'll cost about 600 bucks to buy new shafts and have them installed... at least that's what mizuno said. Iv decided that I'm gonna have to get a new set of irons and abandon my mp18 mmc and I've been looking around and dont really know what i want to get or even what would look similar to them, any recommendations on cb's that aren't too lady but also aren't to chunky and big.

Posted:
  • Nard_SNard_S  3680WRX Points: 725Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,680

I have DG 300 SL on my FG 59. Stock offering. At 115g did not care all that much, prefer DG S400's. But, I purchased corded Tout Velvets, then stepped 4 wraps of tape underneath. It added like 12 grams and clubs felt much much better. Much cheaper than a re-shaft and well worth it.

Posted:
  • NixLix26NixLix26  372WRX Points: 118Handicap: 4Members Posts: 372

I did slapped some lead tape on the backs of the heads it improved a little, but I think I may try the grips. Thanks for the tip. I am going to regrip myself anyway to my Lamkins and maybe I’ll put a length of lead tape under the grip as well. Have never tried that

Posted:
    905R-8.5
    906F2 - 13*
    X Forged - 3 iron
    Apex MB Raw (18) - 4-PW
    52* - J38 raw
    60* - Clvlnd 588 gunmetal
    8802 style TW Ram Tour Grind

[/size]

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.