***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members  8212WRX Points: 387Posts: 8,212 Titanium Tees

LOL idle minds are the devil's playpen. (@NRJyzr that was for you too. 😝)

Call me an OCD engineer but I say go with the VR Pro and stay consistent with your iron type.

And since you are tinkering, you *might* think about going slightly lighter but also stiffer shaft with it, say X100 or even S300 instead of your S400. If you go with a lighter total weight shaft, without sacrificing too much on the stiffness, you'll swing it faster than the heavier shaft. In theory you'll hit the ball slightly farther. But the key is to lighten the shaft without sacrificing on the flex.

Posted:
    TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers  3088WRX Points: 701Handicap: 11Posts: 3,088 Titanium Tees

I’ve had an issue using lighter shafts in that I totally lost feel and a significant amount of distance. Tried the S300 XP in a Mizuno T4 52* wedge and it was a disaster. Lost about 30 yards in distance and for some reason I topped a lot of shots. That wedge is now confined to the office for short range chipping practice.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members  8212WRX Points: 387Posts: 8,212 Titanium Tees

Totally agreed! What *can* happen is that the lighter shaft flexes too much coming into impact and, in short, distance is lost. It's important that a shaft returns to a relatively straight position coming into impact. When it is not straight and bent too much, its relative velocity is lower than ideal. The golfer is effectively overpowering it. The clubhead never really "catches up" to the rest of the swing. It's ultimately safer to have as stiff a shaft as possible to avoid the issue of it bending too much, but...in doing this the shaft weight increases....and then the trade-off is that it's a heavier shaft (assuming that the shaft shape didn't change the stiffness) which takes more energy or work to swing.

When I built my strong 3w driver I made the mistake of going with a lighter shaft than my regular 3w, but...I kept the flex at regular which was my mistake. It was horrible. I could not hit it with distance at all and control was terrible. I replaced it with X flex which made it slightly heavier, but also it stayed relatively straight during my swing. And ultimately I got distance back that was on par with my 460cc drivers.

Posted:

Registered Bladeocrat
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members  1513WRX Points: 407Posts: 1,513 Platinum Tees

The first iron spot is another tough one. I wouldn't think anything of going 3-5,6,7..... I draw the line at 3,4,5,6,7,7,8 etc. Can't do it. Won't do it.

You could bend the 3 iron weak a degree or two - in theory it would make it easier to hit. It would also reduce the offset a touch (which is never a bad thing). Conversely, you could bend the 4-iron strong.

You could also try to salvage what you have with the Nike 4i. Try making 5-10 swings with you 7 or 8i and then grab that 4 iron and make (as much as possible) the same swing with the Nike. Maybe, you are just making a different swing with it (subconsciously). I run in to the same problems with my TMB - I can stripe it all day. Then the next day I have it going both ways. It's a problem with my swing, not the club. Usually after doing this drill I will be back to the striping.

Posted:
    D - Ping G400 LST Tour AD IZ 6x
    4W - Royal Collection V7 TI 17 with Attas G7 7X or something else
    3i - TMB 2016 DGX100
    4-P - Tourstage MR23 U.S. Spec CB DGX100
    52 - Cleveland RTX4 forged S400
    56 - Cleveland RTX4 forged S400
    60 - Vokey SM7 60-04L Raw S400

• NRJyzrNRJyzr I would only like to add that I have nothing to add Minnesota, USAMembers  7424WRX Points: 1,464Handicap: 7Posts: 7,424 Titanium Tees

Flex and weight are largely independent, such as they're applied to the shaft marketplace, that is. Consistency, or lack thereof, due to shaft weight is one of those lovely fitting parameters that's different for each person. Go too light and there goes the consistency.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching

Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 43.5"
    3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
    2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S
    3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, DGS400 or NV105 S
    Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
    GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300
    LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
    Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite

Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons

Understood, but...observe any shaft of the same design or model. What you'll find is that the stiffer versions are ALWAYS heavier than their lighter counterparts. This is how you make the shaft of the same exact design stiffer. You add more mass to it. This is how the physics work under that condition.

Other things that can make a shaft have different flex are the materials of construction being different and the literal shape also being different.

They're definitely NOT completely independent. Weight/mass is just one variable, and there's absolutely mathematical correlation that links them together.

And in regards to going lighter and losing consistency... that's why I stated, "the key is to lighten the shaft *without sacrificing on the flex*"...the last part is because I already know y'all are gonna try to nitpick my science. 😁

Posted:

Registered Bladeocrat

Advertisement
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees

I hated science and barely passed it way back when I was in school so I never question anyone's science. 😀

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Titleist 816 H2 23 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members  987WRX Points: 363Handicap: 8Posts: 987 Golden Tee

Interesting discussion folks - the Vapor Fly Pro I picked up still has a future as when I stripe it it fits the gap between the 3 and 4 iron perfectly, I'm just struggling with it a little off the deck, and don't really have the confience it's going to go (roughly) where I aim it compared to my other irons. I shall take it an the other two options to the range this evening to see whats what. I'm thinking it's going to be a trade off - I'm happier with a blade off the deck, but lean towards a cavity off the tee. However with only one hole relaistically needing an iron off the tee, but many long Par 4's needed a 4 / 5 iron for 2nd shots, I do suspect the blade is going to win out.

Very interesting thoughts about shaft weight as well - must admit I've been an S400 type of guy for as long as I can remember - to a point now that I don't actually notice what the shaft is doing when I swing it - if that makes sense. I'm definitely noticing the lack of "kick" on the X100, and do wonder if I'm swinging at it harder to replicate that feeling from the S400. Would explain why I'm getting away with it off the tee, but not so much off the deck. A new shaft for the Vapor Fly is definitely an option - from experience I'm slightly less accurate with an S300 so would probably go S400 again. The extra weight seems to smooth out my transition and helps me time the hit properly - I still make up for a couple of technical issues with rhythym and timing, so anything to preserve that really.

Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Cannon: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4i - DG X100
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 5i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist Pro V1x/EXP-01
    Bag: Motocaddy HydroFlex

• NRJyzrNRJyzr I would only like to add that I have nothing to add Minnesota, USAMembers  7424WRX Points: 1,464Handicap: 7Posts: 7,424 Titanium Tees

If all else is equal, that's true, but there are plenty of things that are routinely done such that it isn't always equal. (Hence the "as applied to the shaft market" in my post) 😁

The most obvious example is DGS400 vs DGX100. S400 is heavier than X100, but X100 is stiffer. The difference is slight, but it's there. Perhaps a better example is NV105 stiff vs NV75 X. Aldila tries to keep the flexes uniform among their differing weights in the same shaft model.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be that way in the now retired Fuji Motore Speeders. There, the 7.x models were usually noticeably stiffer than the 6.x models.

Tracking all this can be so much fun. 🤔

Posted:

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
    SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite

Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons

It's the joy of having a nerd habit. You just have to know.

Posted:

• Nard_SNard_S Members  3954WRX Points: 907Handicap: 9Posts: 3,954 Titanium Tees

Captain Obvious says, the issue at the long end of the bag is not in the club or shaft , it's all in the swing. When I look how much I actually do practice #3i, pretty clear why it can't be hit it as well as my #5i.

😊

The other thing is. It's too smart by a half to tinker too much with shaft flex & weight progressions throughout the bag. When I finally matched up my Driver setup to one that fully emulates, mirrors, iron specs , it's quite surprising how much easier it was to split the fairway with the stupid thing. My next bag upgrade will be a full set of metals that match within themselves (shaft choice huge) but also to the irons & wedges. In short a bag should be "birds of a feather".

Posted:

Advertisement

LMAO it's basically a three variables issue...mass, shape, and materials. That by itself makes it (flex) hard to track but worse yet is the arbitrary "standard" for it. From what I have reverse engineered from manufacturers specs, I ALWAYS see flex defined relative to one model type. The definition of stiff, regular, xstiff, and senior flex only applies to that one shaft model. And moreover it's always the weight that correlates to that particular stiffness. This is why I tend to talk about the science of it all based on weight (mass). Ultimately it's not an easy topic to discuss on a forum and also explain the science clearly. The ambiguity is all part of the carney game of selling clubs. 🤷

From my standpoint I'd rather have all the shaft technical data in hand. Like bend point, weight, torque, etc. It would get rid of the ambiguity and allow better technical discussion over shafts. But alas, then it would make buying shafts too easy and then golfers wouldn't have to do their own experimenting and buying them so much. 🤷

Posted:

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL if you are buying clubs based on it, I highly advise that you should question the "science" of "forgiving" club manufacturers. By and large it's a complete and utter carney sham.

Also I was talking to @WishIPlayedMore about this and we agreed that it's much better to be completely ignorant of the science of golf than to have a half-a$$ed understanding of it. You either have to disregard it completely or you have to fully explore and understand it. Having only a partial understanding of it can easily lead to completely false conclusions about your club decisions and swing mechanics

Posted:

Registered Bladeocrat
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees

Totally agree. I've never bought anything because of science. I just know what works for me.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Snell MTB 

• JonesyJonesy Durban, South AfricaMembers  1605WRX Points: 226Posts: 1,605 Platinum Tees

Apex MB update:

I'm still hitting these as well as I did in the honeymoon phase.

These things are a dream through the turf.

I haven't had this much confidence in my irons in years.

Heavy and super stiff irons shafts apparently work for me, who knew?

Really puzzling about a satin finish...

Playing 9 holes today and then our monthly medal comp tomorrow and really considering another 18 for Sunday, that's what these irons have done to me.

Posted:
    Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
    Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 14.5°
    Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°
    Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
    Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4428WRX Points: 506Handicap: 3Posts: 4,428 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix

Advertisement

It's weird Jonesy. Since I've gotten my Wilsons I just hate putting them back in my trunk! I just want to keep on playing.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Snell MTB 

• mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers  3088WRX Points: 701Handicap: 11Posts: 3,088 Titanium Tees

Funnily enough my old MacGregor VIP Limited’s fitted with original Mac Tourney Taper Stiff shafts (read rebar) are like swinging a sledgehammer but are very consistent in line and distance...if only I was fit enough to swing them for a full round!!

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3954WRX Points: 907Handicap: 9Posts: 3,954 Titanium Tees

Just threw away some (not many) dollar$ on this. Unused DBD 816 Alpha. Have heard good things about these, have never used Diamani shaft that it is mounted to. Intend to go flat adaptor, tinker with weights and change the shaft but we will see. Big fan of Aldila MSI 130 White but have major interest in trying a Fuji Ventus. on this. 681's still in bag, gotta say Nike VR Pro II, at the range is sultry temptress. Nice sticks.

Posted:

Dang! It's hard to get a beer out of my playing partner! That's awesome!

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Snell MTB 

Advertisement
  • boggymanboggyman Members  3027WRX Points: 414Posts: 3,027 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • Sir SlicealotSir Slicealot Mr. MP-4 Members  767WRX Points: 65Handicap: HaPosts: 767 Golden Tee

My playing partners gifted me lessons, CBs, a 3w and 60# of used balls. I took quite a while off and this was their strategy to get me back playing. I like the 3w...the lessons were okay too.

Posted:
    WITB:
    MP-9 1 iron DG X100 15°
    RAM FX Tour Grind 1 iron Tempur Dynamic Tour Stiff 17°
    MP-4 3-PW DG S300
    MD Forged 52°
    MD PM 56°
    MD PM 60°
    2014 8802
    In rotation:
    MP-29 1-2 DG S300
    MD PM 64°
  • JonesyJonesy Durban, South AfricaMembers  1605WRX Points: 226Posts: 1,605 Platinum Tees

This was my upgrade from the Optiforce I had and I have no complaints, really solid driver. sounds and feels great as well, playing it at 44" with my AD DI, added a little hotmelt and it's really become a solid bit of kit.

Posted:
    Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
    Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
    Scotty Cameron Newport

Awesome to hear. Great looking head. Plan on going to 44.5" I'm happy with my MP, just want to experiment a bit, tinker on shaft and weight set up. Thing cost $169 to my door. Another one is the Titleist TS4. Even a Cally rep I know raves about it.

Posted:

Mine came with a Tensei AV blue 65s which wasn't bad, I might actually tip it an inch and give it a try. The gravity core system really works, got the weight high side up in the heel at the moment as that's where my miss has been lately and it's definitely helped.

Would love to try a TS4 but they are so rare this side of the world, seen one or 2 floating around on FB BST groups but they want way too much for it.

Posted:
    Callaway BBA 816 ♦♦ 9.5°
    Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
    Scotty Cameron Newport

Advertisement
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6328WRX Points: 1,584Handicap: mePosts: 6,328 Titanium Tees

@justasgood

Nice playing partner!

1978 Tour Blades?

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • boggymanboggyman Members  3027WRX Points: 414Posts: 3,027 Titanium Tees

Anyone in here playing or played in the past the B’stone J15mb that could give a review? Got a set on the way with Px 5.5, which is my fave iron shaft of all time. Not having whole lotta luck on google. T. I.A. !

Posted:

Gravity core was what spurred my interest in the club. Also the matte finish & all Ti construction. My MP Type I is phenomenal. Shaft pairing matters quite a bit with it though. Callaway offers flat lie adaptors & weight kits. I can go nuts here and still spend on a great shaft too. Win/win.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tar_Heel_93Tar_Heel_93 Members  149WRX Points: 66Posts: 149 Fairways

I have the Bridgestone J15 MB 4-PW with Project X6.0 shafts as my backup set to my Callaway 2018 Apex MBs with Project X6.0 shafts. I only have 4-5 rounds with the Bridgestones plus some range sessions vs 30 plus rounds with the Callaway’s. Both are built to a swing weight of D2. Bridgestones feel like there is more weight behind the ball and slightly lower and produce a slightly higher ball flight with a little more spin. A well struck ball feels soft but meatier than the Apex MBs. Apex MBs feel softer on a pure strike almost like the ball melts and is gone. I am more accurate with the Callaway’s and find the Callaway long irons (6-4) to be more forgiving. I have had some iron shots come up much shorter than expected with the Bridgestones on small miss hits. The Callaway MBs don’t seem to lose as much distance on small mishits especially towards the toe. Both are beautiful irons and fun to play. Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 10 degree, Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X-stiff Shaft

Titleist 917 F3 15; Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 X-stiff Stiff shaft

Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid Tensei Pro white stiff shaft

Callaway Apex MB 3-AW irons; Project X 6.0 shafts

Callaway MD Forged 54 wedge

Never Compromise Gambler Royal 33” putter GP red star grip

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.