2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Dunes itinerary

Heading to Bandon Dunes the second week in March with a good friend of mine. I've been reading everything there is to know about it and getting lots of helpful information from peoples reviews. Our itinerary is as follows:-

Tuesday:- Land in Eugene 1pm

Hopefully get to Bandon dunes for some range time

Wed:- AM Old Mac

PM Bandon Dunes

Thurs:- AM Pacfic Dunes

PM Preserve & Punchbowl

Fri:- AM Bandon trails

PM Pacific Dunes

Sat:- Fly out

How does this itinerary look to people who have been?

Does anybody have any expeience of playing there in March? Course conditions?

Is check -in at the main lodge?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March is better but you might catch some rain, probably 50 - 50. The key and unknown is are you going to get the Oregon mist type rain (most likely) or the rain like from the movie The Perfect Storm (less likely but it does happen there and it is brutal).

The course is in the best condition in the winter if you get on after or at the end of a dry spell. The greens are much smoother and truer after a few dry days.

You'll have range time on Wednesday easily, you can drive from the Eugene airport to Bandon in less than 2.5 hours.

Yes, check in is in the main lodge. When you pull into the main lot, park to the south (left). It is a little closer.

Looks good! Heading in on the 16th with a group of 12. We land in North Bend around the same time and planning to get in 1 round on our 1st day followed by 36, 36 and 18. Similar routing except we start with PD, then go OM, BD, BT, OM and Preserve. Looks like some rain next 2 days then 5 straight days of sun. Will be praying as we get closer!!

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

Your itinerary looks fantastic - you guys will be exhausted but have a great time, I'm sure.

I've been to Bandon during March of 2013 and 2014 and, cumulatively, I think we had about 5 holes of rain - we were ridiculously lucky. Although I'm beginning to think that the marginal weather forecasts is the Oregonians' way of scaring us east-coast guys away and keeping Bandon for themselves during March ;-) In any event, we're going to be testing that again this year - we're scheduled for the last few days of March.

Enjoy your trip - itinerary looks great!

Trails is the toughest walk so depending on your fitness that is a tough last day choice.

I would swap it with Pacific Dunes in Wednesday and pull a double pacific Dunes day. I always think it is fun to play the same course twice in a day especially when the weather might be totally different. Or you could swap Ine of the Pacific rounds to Wednesday afternoon and finish on Bandon Dunes.

I don't think your itenerary is bad, just some thoughts.

Looks good. You'll get Punchbowl time in on your range day as well. Spend your first day practicing at the chipping areas and putting greens. Also get reservations for dinner if you want to have dinners on property. I suggest McKie's Pub during your stay as basketball will be in full swing during that time. I like Pacific's breakfast the best as they have the best bacon. Just saying.

That's a fine itinerary. Keep in mind that there are no bad itineraries at Bandon...

Agreed that Trails is the toughest walk, but you're playing there first round of the day and after a "lighter" day, so you should be fine, especially if you have a caddy.

Also agree on getting in a few holes on Shorty's on your arrival day. It's a lot like the Preserve, but free, and the half dozen times I've been out there, it's been completely empty, even when the practice tees are jammed.

+1 on getting dinner reservations for every night you're there, especially in the Pub on the weekend.

Have a great trip and post a trip report when you get home!

I'm heading down 27 Feb. 41 days and counting.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

One more thing - you'll probably want to drive down on I-5 (a little quicker), but consider taking the coast highway on your way back. We've got some real nice scenery on our south coast. If you do, add at least an hour to the drive time, as the towns can get congested with RV traffic on the weekends

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thanks for the Imput people. To say that we are excited about our first trip to Bandon would be an massive understatement. I've been looking at the webcam's and the weather forercasts for January and the weather has been lights out fantastic, I hope this isn't a bad sign for March!

Just a follow up,

- Do you think all the holes at shorty's will be open on a Tuesday afternoon?
- My google map says the shortest and fastest way from Eugene airport is the coastal road 101. My understanding is that most people go this way right?
- We are roughly 14-16 handicappers, The length of these courses doesn't really scare me too much on paper, but I guess when you throw in a 30mph wind with some rain it changes the situation. My point being does anybody change the tee's they play from to suit the conditions? I think we will play the green tee's.

- Are reservations actually needed for all the restaurants onsite?

Many thanks

Hey Highball. I just returned from my second trip to Bandon this winter and fourth overall so I wanted to answer a few questions.

Shorty's is usually closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday because the south range is being used. You can still play 1, 2, and 9 but the rest can't be used when the south range is open.

We typically come from Portland so taking I-5 south to exit 162 and taking OR-38 has been quicker. However, since the Eugene airport is a bit east of I-5, you may be better heading east immediately and go to 101.

I don't necessarily think the green tees are too much, but I would be open minded about using the gold set (one shorter than green) later on the trip as people get tired and especially if the weather gets wild. I'm a 4 handicap and I play the green because I want to have fun and have a chance at shooting a good number. I've never understood the idea of golfers who try to play as far back as possible assuming if they play perfectly they may do ok. I'm certainly not saying the green tees are a bad idea, just keep an open mind later in the trip because that amount of golf and walking will wear down people.

With two people, I've never had reservations but I don't go to either of the fancier restaurants.

Everyone talks about the meatloaf at McKee's but I thought the chicken sandwich on focaccia bread was one of the best sandwiches I can remember.

The buffet at the lodge is $16 and I like it.

The best lunch in my opinion is at Trails End. Pork sliders, club wrap, meatball sub, fish tacos. All for $8-$13.

Bring LOTS of socks. Maybe I'm weird but I change between rounds.

Bring old golf gloves as backups or buy good rain gloves in case you catch the oregon coastal rain.

If you've never been to Bandon and you don't plan to get caddies, buy yardage books for all four courses. They are $10/per and worth it. I think you can buy all 4 online for $32.

The Bunker Bar opens at 6pm in the basement of the Lodge and it's a fun spot. Drinks, pool, TVs, and chips if you want to start a card game.

Have an awesome time and let us know what you think when you get back.

[quote name='highball' timestamp='1421532504' post='10765753']
- My google map says the shortest and fastest way from Eugene airport is the coastal road 101. My understanding is that most people go this way right?

[/quote]

The fastest way from Eugene to Bandon is 126 to 101 south. I make that drive all the time. 38 through Drain to I-5 is pretty, but it isn't as fast.

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1421539827' post='10766313']

[/quote]

The fastest way from Eugene to Bandon is 126 to 101 south. I make that drive all the time. 38 through Drain to I-5 is pretty, but it isn't as fast.
[/quote]

Is it about 2 1/2 hrs?

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1421543186' post='10766539']
[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1421539827' post='10766313']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it about 2 1/2 hrs?
[/quote]

Yes.

There can be road construction on 126 and 101, and the bridge before Reedsport is under construction right now. But, if you drive 10 over the speed limit you will easily make it in less than 2.5 hours including time for slow pokes (people with BC and Washington plates).

your schedule is perfect. Your final round is at Pacific, which is an absolutely beautiful course. Great way to end the trip.

FourUnder's comments are spot on [except I really like McKee's meatloaf & the ambiance (on the ground floor) is great.]

I've been going to Bandon annually since June 2001 (the past 10 years in December). Generally I get only one bad weather day out of four or five.

As for the correct tees, you will likely get more rollout on drives than your home course so yardage is perhaps misleading. (The fairways are so dry that I saw sprinklers going at Bandon Dunes in early December 2014.) However if your group double bogeys every hole on the front nine, you may choose to move up one tee. After all, it's supposed to be fun.

David Fay (formerly executive director of the USGA) said four years ago in Golf Digest:

"If someone gave me tee times at Pebble Beach, Cypress, Spyglass and one of the two courses at Monterey Peninsula Country Club versus the same deal at Bandon -- four courses in two days -- it's no contest: I'd take Bandon hands down, and I think I've seen just about everything there is to compare it to. I love everything about the place."

Haven't played Cypress Point or the Shore course at MPCC, but in my view Pacific Dunes is as pretty as Pebble Beach, Old Macdonald is better than Spyglass, Bandon Dunes is at least as good as MPCC's Dunes course, and Bandon Trails is more fun than Spanish Bay or the Preserve in Carmel.

You guys are so lucky.

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1421591675' post='10769125']
your schedule is perfect. Your final round is at Pacific, which is an absolutely beautiful course. Great way to end the trip.

FourUnder's comments are spot on [except I really like McKee's meatloaf & the ambiance (on the ground floor) is great.]

I've been going to Bandon annually since June 2001 (the past 10 years in December). Generally I get only one bad weather day out of four or five.

As for the correct tees, you will likely get more rollout on drives than your home course so yardage is perhaps misleading. (The fairways are so dry that I saw sprinklers going at Bandon Dunes in early December 2014.) However if your group double bogeys every hole on the front nine, you may choose to move up one tee. After all, it's supposed to be fun.

David Fay (formerly executive director of the USGA) said four years ago in Golf Digest:

"If someone gave me tee times at Pebble Beach, Cypress, Spyglass and one of the two courses at Monterey Peninsula Country Club versus the same deal at Bandon -- four courses in two days -- it's no contest: I'd take Bandon hands down, and I think I've seen just about everything there is to compare it to. I love everything about the place."

Haven't played Cypress Point or the Shore course at MPCC, but in my view Pacific Dunes is as pretty as Pebble Beach, Old Macdonald is better than Spyglass, Bandon Dunes is at least as good as MPCC's Dunes course, and Bandon Trails is more fun than Spanish Bay or the Preserve in Carmel.

You guys are so lucky.
[/quote]

This is exactly right.

I think David Fay is on crack with his peninsula pointers, but I understand the point he's making. Bandon Dunes is by far and away the best golf resort in the world. Anyone who disagrees probably hasn't been there or just has another agenda.

Thanks guy's. Appreciate the information.

Just another quick one.

- On our first day of golf we have a quick turn around between our 8.20 round on old Mac and our 1.30pm tee time on Bandon dunes. What would be our best option for getting lunch, or would it be a case of eating on the go? I know allot is down to wheather we have a 4 hour round or a 4 1/2hr round.

[quote name='highball' timestamp='1421676807' post='10775537']
Thanks guy's. Appreciate the information.

Just another quick one.

- On our first day of golf we have a quick turn around between our 8.20 round on old Mac and our 1.30pm tee time on Bandon dunes. What would be our best option for getting lunch, or would it be a case of eating on the go? I know allot is down to wheather we have a 4 hour round or a 4 1/2hr round.
[/quote]
It might be a tight turnaround. I would plan on jumping on the shuttle from Old Mac ASAP and heading to Bandon Dunes. Just check in at the Pro Shop and then assess how much time you have. There is a little snack shack with great brats and dogs, or you could head inside to the Tufted Puffin Lounge for a quick lunch. Both are 10 steps from Bandon's first tee.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='lionman19380' timestamp='1421681388' post='10775893']
Does anybody have any advice for planning a trip to Bandon on a budget? Would be going with either a group of 2 or 4 and we wouldn't want to go crazy. Either play 4 or 6 rounds and would like to be as cost effective as possible so we were thinking of late February.

Any advice??? Thanks
[/quote]

Least expensive rates are in December and January, but the days are short (36 is possible but harder). February is second cheapest rates. Southwest flies to Portland so, that might be a cost saving option but it will take 5 hours to get there from Portland. Eugene is about half the Portland drive but airfares in and out of Eugene have more price variation in my experience.

You can skip on the caddies and save some cash. You could buy the course books (I think they are $10), and bring a range finder and you'll be fine.

Does anybody have any advice for planning a trip to Bandon on a budget? Would be going with either a group of 2 or 4 and we wouldn't want to go crazy. Either play 4 or 6 rounds and would like to be as cost effective as possible so we were thinking of late February.

Any advice??? Thanks
[/quote]

I guess you could bring a loaf of bread and some peanut butter and jelly and feast on PBJ's post round. Sometimes they do have packages they offer when you call the reservation desk and I am sure there might be an option to save some cash if you stay off site, but you are going to pay higher greens fees.

What is your budget and what are you trying to accomplish? They post all their rates, so there aren't many surprises.

Also, you have to consider availability of tee times. If you don't stay on premises, you must wait until 21 days out to get tee times.

if you are staying at the Inn, check in is right there at the Inn. I can't stress how good the Inn is. There is a large lounge with 2 large HDTVs and a great fireplace. You practically have the space to yourself and they serve beer/alcohol in the late afternoon into the night.

Always play pacific the most, and I also love playing Bandon Dunes as mcuh as possible, as I personally have left Bandon Trails off the itinerary in the last several trips. It's tough and very demanding.

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1421682858' post='10776085']

Any advice??? Thanks
[/quote]

I guess you could bring a loaf of bread and some peanut butter and jelly and feast on PBJ's post round. Sometimes they do have packages they offer when you call the reservation desk and I am sure there might be an option to save some cash if you stay off site, but you are going to pay higher greens fees.

What is your budget and what are you trying to accomplish? They post all their rates, so there aren't many surprises.

Also, you have to consider availability of tee times. If you don't stay on premises, you must wait until 21 days out to get tee times.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to pinch pennies here with PB& J but I just don't want to be spending 2k...my budget would probably be $1500

When trying to determine a budget, flight and rental car will be your variables. Other than that, the fees are pretty much set, so it just depends on how many days you want to stay.

I would want to stay at least three days if flying in from out of state.

Lodging: $200 per night / 2 persons = $100 per night = $300.
Golf: $100 per round + $50 replay = $150 per day = $450.
Food and beverage: $40-50 per night = $120-150.

Right there, you're at $900 without flight, rental car, or gas. Also, you're going to want souvenirs.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1421684786' post='10776283']
When trying to determine a budget, flight and rental car will be your variables. Other than that, the fees are pretty much set, so it just depends on how many days you want to stay.

I would want to stay at least three days if flying in from out of state.

Lodging: $200 per night / 2 persons = $100 per night = $300.
Golf: $100 per round + $50 replay = $150 per day = $450.
Food and beverage: $40-50 per night = $120-150.

Right there, you're at $900 without flight, rental car, or gas. Also, you're going to want souvenirs.
[/quote]

Basically what I was figuring...so I'm assuming that $1500 is probably doable then?

[quote name='lionman19380' timestamp='1421685092' post='10776319']
Basically what I was figuring...so I'm assuming that $1500 is probably doable then?
[/quote]
I just depends on flights. Flying from Kansas City, I couldn't find anything into Portland/Eugene less than roughly $500. Rental car will run you another $200+ split between your group.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1421685314' post='10776347']
[quote name='lionman19380' timestamp='1421685092' post='10776319']
[/quote]
I just depends on flights. Flying from Kansas City, I couldn't find anything into Portland/Eugene less than roughly $500. Rental car will run you another $200+ split between your group.
[/quote]

Granted I was just picking a random date but I found something from Philly for $430...I also saw somebody else suggest a shuttle service to and from the airport for $60 per guy

Our Budget is pretty much as follows for our march trip

Two guys fly into Eugene from Saint Louis $380
Rental car $100 each
3 nights at the Inn $345 Per person
1 nights hotel Eugend $50
Golf 5 rounds and the preserve $560 ish
Probably going to have caddies for at least 2 rounds $200

So that's $1635.... Without breakfast, lunch , dinner, beer and of course merchandise. If my wife new it cost this much I would be in touble.

$1500 is very doable.