New Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder

Comments

• Captain Morgan Captain Morgan Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    I'm sure a few raindrops are not going to hurt it. Unless your standing in the water hitting your ball out of the mud and have to laser your target while in the water directly behind your ball and drop the rangefinder in the pond, it will be fine. I can play golf anytime I want, if it rains, I don't play.
    Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile
  • CukiCuki Members Posts: 61
    I'm thinking the same, I need something at least rainproof. I visit and play a lot in Scotland, it rains there more than it shines. New Nikon Coolshot 40i is rainproof, new Nikon Prostaff 7i is waterproof, they are also on my test list.

I'm waiting for a delivery of the Tour X at a store in Bratislava and then I'll test them all back to back.

That's a shame that their flagship model isn't rain or waterproof.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,700 ✭✭
    Do you need prisms on the flagsticks to get these to work well?
  • avgjoeavgjoe Members Posts: 4,999

it's 2015... very few- if any- require prisms these days. certainly not a $500 top of the line model
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,689 mod

I'm sure a few raindrops are not going to hurt it. Unless your standing in the water hitting your ball out of the mud and have to laser your target while in the water directly behind your ball and drop the rangefinder in the pond, it will be fine. I can play golf anytime I want, if it rains, I don't play.

So if you travel or go on a golf trip and it rains...?

Its just absurd that a top of the line rangefinder isn't waterproof. The X7 is completely waterproof - seems like one step forward and three steps back.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • happybobhappybob Members Posts: 150
    I recently ordered the Tour X, but was just notified that it's on backorder at Bushnell due to a technical production issue, and won't be in stock till late April - Mid May. Since it will replace my Bushnell 1600 slope edition which I still have, I don't really mind the long wait. But now the non-waterproof issue is concerning me. I live in the rainy Northwest, so if I don't play golf at all on rainy days, I might as well just pack it in and find another hobby. I don't need this thing to be professional grade water sealed and being able to tolerate a drop into a pond, but it needs to be able to withstand at least some rain. I have my concerns about Bushnell's overall quality control and customer service vs. Leupold. For example, my Bushnell 1600 already shows some fading in the display of numbers with a vertical line (eg. 1 or 7), but since it's 4 years old, I doubt Bushnell would do anything about it. I've read about the excellent service of Leupold, and was leaning toward getting the GX-4i2. But after reading from all the posts above on how the Tour X is so much faster than the GX-4i2, I decided to bite the bullet and give Bushnell another chance. But if Tour X is indeed not waterproof, it's a deal breaker, I will give the GX-4i2 a try, which is built like a tank.

For those of you who've tried both, is the Tour X really that much better in performance? How is its built quality compared to the GX-4i2? And for all Tour X owners, can you verify whether this thing is waterproof? Is it built more than the tour v3 (cheap plastic) or the Z6 in terms of quality?

Thanks all!
    Do you think the production issue has something to do with them finding out it is now not rain or waterproof as first mentioned on their website?
    Cuki wrote:

Do you think the production issue has something to do with them finding out it is now not rain or waterproof as first mentioned on their website?

Very good question.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
    happybob wrote:
    I recently ordered the Tour X, but was just notified that it's on backorder at Bushnell due to a technical production issue, and won't be in stock till late April - Mid May. Since it will replace my Bushnell 1600 slope edition which I still have, I don't really mind the long wait. But now the non-waterproof issue is concerning me. I live in the rainy Northwest, so if I don't play golf at all on rainy days, I might as well just pack it in and find another hobby. I don't need this thing to be professional grade water sealed and being able to tolerate a drop into a pond, but it needs to be able to withstand at least some rain. I have my concerns about Bushnell's overall quality control and customer service vs. Leupold. For example, my Bushnell 1600 already shows some fading in the display of numbers with a vertical line (eg. 1 or 7), but since it's 4 years old, I doubt Bushnell would do anything about it. I've read about the excellent service of Leupold, and was leaning toward getting the GX-4i2. But after reading from all the posts above on how the Tour X is so much faster than the GX-4i2, I decided to bite the bullet and give Bushnell another chance. But if Tour X is indeed not waterproof, it's a deal breaker, I will give the GX-4i2 a try, which is built like a tank.

For those of you who've tried both, is the Tour X really that much better in performance? How is its built quality compared to the GX-4i2? And for all Tour X owners, can you verify whether this thing is waterproof? Is it built more than the tour v3 (cheap plastic) or the Z6 in terms of quality?

Thanks all!

I'll sell you my GX-4i2. I bought it back in September. Didn't use it that much cause winter came fast.
  • happybobhappybob Members Posts: 150

happybob wrote:

Thanks all!

I'll sell you my GX-4i2. I bought it back in September. Didn't use it that much cause winter came fast.

So the Tour X is that much better the GX-4i2? Even when it's not waterproof?
    happybob wrote:

happybob wrote:

Thanks all!

So the Tour X is that much better the GX-4i2? Even when it's not waterproof?

It is for me. The waterproof thing doesn't bother me. I don't need two rangefinders.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,375 ✭✭
    Nothing on the site or manual indicates the Tour X is water or rain proof. My guess is the different face plates depress a switch that turns slope reading on and off which isn't waterproof. If water gets behind the face plate, it could seep through the switch housing and inside the unit.

Another case where a company rushes to market a product that isn't ready just so it can compete. Does Bushnell expect their customers to shell out another $500 when the waterproof version gets released in six months? I'll be cancelling my order for the Tour X unless I see something from Bushnell that confirms it's waterproof, I don't need a $500 paperweight.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
    If you go to the "Specs' tab on http://www.bushnellg...ers/Tour-X.aspx you will see that it is listed as not waterproof. This has changed the last week or so, because I've seen a website in Europe listing it as waterproof, this info would have come from a sales or product sheet from Bushnell.

Now I went to check out the Tour X yesterday and while it is indeed very fast with great optics, I could see where the issue could be. new2g0lf is indeed correct, it is simply a plastic attached faceplate, even worse, the connection is at the top of the faceplate and rangefinder body.

Attached photo, righthand faceplate (lighter faceplate) in the photo, you can clearly see this small connector. I swapped faceplates around, and while they are snug and tight fitting, I'm not in a position to say if it is rain or waterproof.

I ended up buying the new Nikon Coolshot 40i which I think has better optics, is just as fast, and is smaller, lighter and a better fit in the hand. Even better, it was 150 euros cheaper. It doesn't have exchange technology but I don't play tournaments so that wasn't an issue for me.

TourX_zpssv9hpmnd.jpg
  • str8teeth23str8teeth23 str8teeth Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    As previously mentioned, the "SPECS" tab on their website says it is NOT waterproof.
    Callaway Rogue Driver HZRDUS Yellow
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood EvenFlow Blue
    Callaway Rogue 5 Wood Atmos Red
    Ping S55 4-P
    Vokey 52
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback
  • msh645msh645 Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Definitely going to use my V2 until they rectify this....
    EPIC PX HC Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0
    Rogue SZ PX EvenFlow 75 6.0
    716 T-MB 3 Iron  AMT White S300
    19 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS C Taper Lite Stiff
    SM7 52.08F 56.10S 60.08M Tour Chrome KBS Stiff
    SC Futura 5W
    The Tour X, was listed as being waterproof on their "old website" - not even a month ago - when the information first went up after the PGA Show. A couple of online vendors also still list it as being waterproof, maybe they haven't gotten the updated information.

Not sure how the faceplate feature itself would cause this as the Leupold 4i2 is waterproof.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
    avgjoe wrote:

it's 2015... very few- if any- require prisms these days. certainly not a $500 top of the line model

really? and thanks

avgjoe wrote:

really? and thanks

yes, really
    avgjoe wrote:

avgjoe wrote:

really? and thanks

yes, really

really? thanks
    avgjoe wrote:

avgjoe wrote:

really? and thanks

yes, really

really? thanks

believe it or not, yes
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members Posts: 945 ✭✭
    TGW will honor the $399.96 price if you email or call them. Top notch operation over there.

Also, I spoke with a bushnell rep. yesterday and he stated that the issue is the interchangeable faceplate as stated earlier but can with stand :20 of misting in an isolated box (during testing).

Take it for what it's worth. I still ending up keeping mine. Works great for me.
  • myspinonitmyspinonit Members Posts: 2,799 ✭✭
    I saw the Tour X at the store this week and was surprised at the back-to-plastic after Bushnell going more solid from the V3 to the Z6 Jolt that I bought last year. The "waterproof" vs water resistant was my deciding factor for the Z6 Jolt model, as well as the rugged case. It is still showing as "waterproof" on the website.

I dropped it once on a cartpath, just a minor scape in a corner that I touched up with white car touchup paint. Otherwise aok.

So if you want to save some bucks and want a sturdier case and waterproof in a Bushnell product, that might be the bet.
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
    Vokey SM6 49.07F; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S (or 60.07S)  Steelfiber i80
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”

• baummkbaummk Members Posts: 12
    Shradersr wrote:

TGW will honor the $399.96 price if you email or call them. Top notch operation over there.

Also, I spoke with a bushnell rep. yesterday and he stated that the issue is the interchangeable faceplate as stated earlier but can with stand :20 of misting in an isolated box (during testing).

Take it for what it's worth. I still ending up keeping mine. Works great for me.

I just got the same price from TGW on the Tour X - $399.96 w/free shipping. Thanks for the heads up!
  • msh645msh645 Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    baummk wrote:

Shradersr wrote:

I just got the same price from TGW on the Tour X - $399.96 w/free shipping. Thanks for the heads up!

What do you have to tell them on the phone or via email for the lower price?
    EPIC PX HC Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0
    Rogue SZ PX EvenFlow 75 6.0
    716 T-MB 3 Iron  AMT White S300
    19 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS C Taper Lite Stiff
    SM7 52.08F 56.10S 60.08M Tour Chrome KBS Stiff
    SC Futura 5W
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Saw it on their website and on here that they were selling at the lower price but wasnt able to order it at the time and ask them to honor the price. There was zero push back and after ok'ing it with the supervisor they charged me $399.96 no tax no shipping. I ordered it on Saturday and received it on wednesday. If you have an issues feel free to PM me as I still have my email communication.
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,311 ✭✭
    If you need waterproof get the Z6. If you need waterproof and slope get the V3 Slope Edition. I have the Z6 and have used it in steady drizzles with no problems. Its durable too. The first month in use it bounced out of the carts cupholder and down the cart path. Other than a minor scratch in the paint it still works perfect.
  • baummkbaummk Members Posts: 12
    msh645 wrote:

baummk wrote:

Shradersr wrote:

What do you have to tell them on the phone or via email for the lower price?

I did the same. Emailed TGW customer service saying that they offered the Tour X for $399.96 previously and would they be able to honor that price today. Got an email back from a sales rep saying that they would, called him directly and placed the order. Received mine last Friday, can't wait to play this week!
  • richbrycerichbryce Hacker Dawg Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Still like my Z6
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,311 ✭✭
    msh645 wrote:

Definitely going to use my V2 until they rectify this....

So is the V2 waterproof?
  • El SantoEl Santo Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    6 rounds in with my Z6. Awesome Sauce!
    I play so bad, but it feels so good!
    WITB Link