Adding a 25 degree hybrid to the bag

kkrenzke ·  
kkrenzkekkrenzke Members  141WRX Points: 64Posts: 141 Fairways
Adding a 25 degree hybrid to my bag and take the 5 iron out. Would link recommendations either Adams or Titleist models that you have had success with.

I am 7 hdcp just trying to make the game easier and more reliable
Posted:

Comments

• dan100dan100 Members  60WRX Points: 45Posts: 60 Bunkers
    try bobby jones workshop edition 25 degree v.v. versatile
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tiffandgolftiffandgolf Members  45WRX Points: 36Posts: 45 Bunkers
    Titleist
    Posted:
  • grishamgrisham Members  445WRX Points: 89Posts: 445 Greens
    Ping Karsten. Very easy to hit.
    Posted:
  • AdotWuAdotWu Members  62WRX Points: 0Posts: 62
    Not the brands you mentioned above but I would start with the JPX Fli-Hi 25* from Mizuno. The shaft length will be the same as your 5 iron but you get much more pop out of the head.
    Posted:
    Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5 Driver
    Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi #5
    Mizuno MP-54 #5, #7, #9
    Mizuno MP-T4 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 56*
    Odyssey Metal-X Versa #1
    WITB Link
  • DoopreeDoopree Members  119WRX Points: 0Handicap: 11Posts: 119
    What's wrong with your 5 iron? If you can't hit that club you need to fix your swing and not band aid it with a hybrid. Of course, imho.
    Posted:
    Ping G25 10.5 Driver
    Ping G25 4 Wood
    Ping G20 7 Wood
    Ping i25 4 - LW
    Ping Ketsch Mallet Putter
  • backbonzbackbonz Members  404WRX Points: 0Posts: 404
    I used the Adams pro black to replace the 5 iron in the late fall and winter when the ground is really wet.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tmfool tmfool Members  1831WRX Points: 115Handicap: 3.4Posts: 1,831 Platinum Tees
    Adams Pro DHY 27* - replaces my 5iron in off-season (when lucky to get out)

also come in 24* & 21*
    Posted:
    TP MC 6-PW Steelfiber i95
    UDI 3-4-5 steelfiber i95
    Puglielli Black 52&56 s/fiber i125
    Adams XTD Superhybrid 17* s/fiber i110
    Superfast TP 13* Matrix HD7
    M2 9.5 (upright) Matrix 7M3
    SC Studio Select custom
    Snell MTB
  • mspeedpikamspeedpika Members  1064WRX Points: 90Posts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    My 25 degree tm stage 2 goes about 15 yards further then my five iron might want to look for a higher loft.
    Posted:
  • Forged5Forged5 Members  742WRX Points: 79Handicap: 8Posts: 742 Golden Tee
    Just added a 913h 24*.

I tend to launch my 5 iron too low to go after certain pins

6 handicap
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Driver
    Ping G410TS 3 wood
    Ping G410 hybrid
    Ping G400 hybrid
    Srixon Z 785 6-A / 585 -5: Nip Modus 120
    Callaway MD2 Tour wedge -54/11
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM 58 (black)
    Bettinardi Queen B 6

“8 hcp and going down!!! 59 years old and going up!!!” Lol
  • ALIFALIF ArizonaMembers  2774WRX Points: 342Posts: 2,774 Titanium Tees
    My 3 iron was 21* and I replaced it with a 25* adams super LS hybrid. Perfect gap to my 24* 4 iron.
    Posted:
    $$$$
  • zenman4711zenman4711 Members  828WRX Points: 90Posts: 828 Golden Tee
    I bought the original Adams Idea Pro 5 hybrid and it's great. It is longer then a regular 5 iron though.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mattuopmattuop Members  473WRX Points: 50Posts: 473 Greens
    Doopree wrote:

What's wrong with your 5 iron? If you can't hit that club you need to fix your swing and not band aid it with a hybrid. Of course, imho.

I'm a 4 handicap and I use a 5 hybrid instead of an iron. Just so much easier to launch the ball up in the air. The iron isn't a 'club I can't hit,' the hybrid is just much easier and repeatable.

I think basically all the hybrids out are good, just need to find the one you connect with. I current use a titleist 4, and an adams 5. Different flights from each, but the titleist 913h is my favorite of the two. Demoed the 915h side by side with it and didn't really see any benefit to upgrading.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
    Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
    Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
    Evnroll ER7
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs Members  2084WRX Points: 115Handicap: 2.3Posts: 2,084 Platinum Tees
    Doopree wrote:

Humm, guess I need to quit then😕

Thats a pretty bold statement, especially since neither you or I know his swing or game.

"you can't swing a 5 iron, then you need to work on your swing"- I tell ya' learn something new on the Internet daily.
    Posted:
    Ping Sunday Bag
    9 Clubs of Freedom
  • sergizmosergizmo Members  2763WRX Points: 156Posts: 2,763 Titanium Tees
    Doopree wrote:

As he is a 7 and you are an 11 maybe you are the one who needs to fix his swing. Many LPGA players have a bag full of headcovers and they are worlds better ballstrikers than you or I can ever be.

To all you "don't worry about equipment and fix your swing" posters: please post in the Hogan forum. Why do you even open equipment threads with the intention of telling people to work on their games or take a lesson? Set makup can make a difference to even very accomplished players.
    Posted:
  • ws6ws6 Pacific Dunes Members  2348WRX Points: 131Posts: 2,348 Platinum Tees
    I built a 26 degree Adams LSP with a True Temper Tour Concept steel shaft to use as a chipper at Bandon. It is still in the bag as a 5 iron replacement. I love that club.

I bought the head from Pro Clubs for $32 new.
    Posted:
  • BalloonBalloon Members  411WRX Points: 56Posts: 411 Greens
    Bought a 27° Titleist 913h with KBS Tour steel shaft last year. Very reliable club and a full club longer than my 5-iron (27°). One inch longer shaft though. Nice high ball flight and soft landing with little roll. The only odd thing was the lie of that club. I had to use its adjustment capabilities to make it fit.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dog flogdog flog Members  1364WRX Points: 26Posts: 1,364 Bunkers
    AdotWu wrote:

Not the brands you mentioned above but I would start with the JPX Fli-Hi 25* from Mizuno. The shaft length will be the same as your 5 iron but you get much more pop out of the head.
    The Fli-Hi are touted as 'direct iron replacements' and the Mizunoids at head office scold every time we call them hybrids. Whatever you call them, the concept is solid and they do bridge the gap between the irons and the woods. They are as easy to hit as my JPX 800 HD 6 through gap irons. Same shafts, same heft and the lengths and lofts progress at the same rate as the rest of the 'irons'. Mizuno also makes (or made, I'm not sure if they still do.) an MP version of their 'direct iron replacement clubs' so if I wanted to buy something to fill out the top end of my Sunday irons, I would buy the MP4 3 iron. Obviously, since the 4 is almost too easy to hit! But for anyone besides me and Jack Nicklaus, the hybrid is available.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping Anser 12°
    7 wood: Srixon Z 355 22°
    4 hybrid: Cleveland Classic 23°
    5 hybrid: Srixon Z355 26°
    6 hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z XL 28°
    Irons: Callaway X2Hot 7-A
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX cavity 52° 58°
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence Heavy
  • OldGolfer87OldGolfer87 Unregistered  1523WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,523
    i have taken the 3 and 4 and 5 irons out and am trying multiple options .... last season i have 913 H .... 18 deg. to replace the 3 ....21 to replace the 4 and 24 deg. to replace the 5 .

i prefer irons but with each yr. closer to 60 i just dont hit the low irons well any longer and have lost some distance with irons also and i also have a 27 deg. to replace the 6 also if needed ........and for 2015 i purchased 712 U ...2---3 & 4, & & same with Callaway x proto's and Mizuno MP ....H4 ....2----3 and 4 just to try other options as i try to stay 1 level above suck .. and keep my ho quota going strong
    Posted:
  • myspinonitmyspinonit Members  2951WRX Points: 190Posts: 2,951 Titanium Tees
    I haven't played Adams for a few years nor Titleist, so I can't be helpful for recs in those brands.

As others have said, 25* might be too much as a straight 5i replacement for your gapping. I suggest you try out some at lofts and in diff brands between 25-27, comparing them head to head to your 5 iron for distance, and maybe with your 6i. Also, if it's a 5i replacement do you want a traditional larger hybrid/rescue look or more of an iron-like look?

I'm not a fast swinger, but my 27* G20 is my 5i replacement and the gaps work for me to the upper end. It is a go-to trouble club as well, and I'll sometimes choke up on my 27* if I have full-bore 6i distance but not the best lie, especially to an elevated green. Even though it's a great club for me, I've thought about going a bit stronger in loft, but then that would mess up my gaps.
    Posted:

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410 5 Wood 17.5° Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  7 wood 20.5°  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07 F , SM4 54.11 M & 58.09 S  Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

• counselorcounselor Members  220WRX Points: 55Posts: 220 Fairways
    kkrenzke wrote:

Adding a 25 degree hybrid to my bag and take the 5 iron out. Would link recommendations either Adams or Titleist models that you have had success with.

Mizuno jpx ez

I am 7 hdcp just trying to make the game easier and more reliable
    Posted:
  • ModockModock Members  17WRX Points: 55Handicap: 18Posts: 17 Bunkers
    I have the Adams pro hybrid 23. I love it. It really plays like an iron vs the super xtd 20 that is also in the bag. The problem that I found that I had was that with me 7 year old set of irons I ended up carrying a 23 hybrid and a 24 iron to get the gaps right. I would suggest not too look at the loft but to go hit several clubs and get the proper distance you want.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • WouldRatherBePlayingWouldRatherBePlaying Woody Members  404WRX Points: 30Posts: 404 Greens
    I went through and Adams XTD phase but never really was overjoyed with long approach shots with them (yeah, I know, it's not the club!)

Grabbed some old 5 and 7 woods from the corner of the garage, cut them down 1.5" (dickered with the SW cuz I'm picky), approach shots fall like rain.

Whatever works.
    Posted:
  • NCHACK85NCHACK85 Dropping Putts and Hitting Darts Members  1151WRX Points: 3Handicap: BeerPosts: 1,151 Platinum Tees
    I play to a 10 handicap and I use a 19* and a *23 tm burner 2 hybrid. Took the 3 and 4 irons out of the bag for a higher flight with a soft landing. Only use those off the tee on shorter par 4 or some other lay ups off the tees plus on the par 5s needed something that won't run too much when it lands on the green in two.
    Posted:
  • ZASZAS Members  35WRX Points: 32Posts: 35 Bunkers
    late last year I got a Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 6H with a stiff Fuel Tour 70 shaft

liked it so much, I picked up a 4H

great distance control and tight dispersion

I'd encourage you to check out Tour Edge
    Posted:

2007 TM Burner TP 8.5º REAX 65 TP X Stiff 
    2007 TM Burner TP Tour Spoon 13º REAX Superfast 75 TP Stiff
    2007 TM Burner TP 5 Wood 17.5º REAX Superfast 75 TP Stiff
    2016 TM M2 7 Wood 24º Fujikura Fuel Tour 70 Stiff
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 #6 Hybrid 28º Fujikura Exotics Fuel Tour 70 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 Altitude 5 iron・24º 6 iron・27º 7 iron・31º 8 iron・35º Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff 
    iDrive 40º Hybrid Fujikura Pro 95i Regular
    Ping Tour Gorge 47º SS and 56º WS Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff
    Ping Anser 2 putter 
    B-1 Bomber One Iron Boron/Hi-Modulus Graphite Regular tree/desert/rock/tarmac/punch utility
  • Upper MichiganUpper Michigan Members  407WRX Points: 36Posts: 407 Greens
    I just bought a 4-5 cobra bio cell hybrid. Only one range session but I like it so far. The adjustability is nice (22-25) and there is very little offset. The head weight is just enough and I can feel it through the entire swing.
    Posted:
  • zenman4711zenman4711 Members  828WRX Points: 90Posts: 828 Golden Tee
    Doopree wrote:

What's up with your response. The OP asked for recommendations for a 5 hybrid not for a condescending comment.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8189WRX Points: 1,152Posts: 8,189 Titanium Tees
    I have a 23* Ping G25 hybrid which essentially covers both 4-iron and 5-iron distances for me. The club is so easy to hit that I can swing pretty hard with it for distance; I can also grip up a bit and swing a bit shorter to cover 5-iron distance.

Unless you are a very low handicap golfer with very consistent ball-striking, I suggest you find a hybrid which works for you, and which you can hit both hard and softer.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • markhdmarkhd Dadman Members  30WRX Points: 58Posts: 30 Bunkers
    My Ping 5i "replacement" or "5 hybrid" is 27 degrees... the 4 hybrid is 23. The Adams 5 in my other set is 25 degrees, with the 4 marked at 22. Best to test a few to see which one really flies the way you want.
    Posted:
  • KARL MKARL M Members  685WRX Points: 102Posts: 685 Golden Tee
    You might want to get the loft checked on your 6 iron.

Whatever that loft is, subtract a degree or at most two and you should arrive at a good starting point for the loft of a 5 iron replacement hybrid.

Ping has used this 1* to 2* gapping between a 6 iron and 5 hybrid.

In the G30 line the 6 iron is 27* 5 hybrid 26*.

In the G25 line the 6 iron was 29* and the 5 hybrid was 27*
    Posted:

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red tie 6Q3 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway set at 18* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
    Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Kangaroo-hillcrest AB

Advertisement
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members  2132WRX Points: 142Handicap: LowPosts: 2,132 Platinum Tees
    I replaced my 27* ap2 with a 27* g25 hybrid. It was a little longer, so I put my iron shaft in the hybrid, and it fits the gap perfectly. The control is better too.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G25
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    3i & 4i:  Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2010 model)
    5i - pw:  Mizuno MP 64 
    Wedges:  Vokey SM4  54°.14 / 58°.09
    Putter: Odyssey Two-Ball 
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Mizuno Stand Bag

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.