New golf venue for a major championship; Your Choice!

I've been thinking about this lately. What are some courses you would love to see Major Championships events play at? Think of courses that have never hosted a Major Championship. The PGA Championship and US Open are all fair game. I would love to see one of the majors be played at French Lick (Dye Course) and play the tips at 8,100 yards. I would be VERY impressed if they can score really well from those tees. Even though they are not a extremely difficult courses , Banff Springs and the Bandon Resorts courses would look really nice on TV. Any thoughts? Also, I'm looking forward the pros playing Erin Hills in a couple years.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei AV White Raw X 
Taylormade SIM UDI 2-Iron
Nike Vr Pro Blades P-4 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 
Ping Blade 2.0 Wedges 50*54*60*
Odyssey White Ice #1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few courses I'm tired of and would love to see the majors at new locations. I'm tired of Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines, just to name a few.

Having played Erin Hills last year, I think it will play similarly to Whistling Straits.

I'd like to see Bandon and I'm definitely looking forward to Chambers Bay later this year.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1422299735' post='10821829']
There are a few courses I'm tired of and would love to see the majors at new locations. I'm tired of Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines, just to name a few.

Having played Erin Hills last year, I think it will play similarly to Whistling Straits.

I'd like to see Bandon and I'm definitely looking forward to Chambers Bay later this year.
[/quote]
I completely forgot about Chambers Bay. That course will look amazing on TV!

Odyssey White Ice #1

I would love to see the young guns on Blackwolf Run for a US Open or PGA. The girls have been there and so have the seniors, but I expect it would be a totally different set up for the young'uns. Along the same lines how about taking the British Open to one of the classic heathland courses such as the Walton Heath Old Course, they host US Open qualifying there annually and from what I saw on the scoreboard last year the boys didn't have a lot of fun.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Pretty excited to see Erin Hills in a couple years. Just played there this past summer and that should make for a pretty cool major championship.

Someone voted BWR. Not sure I agree there. The course is way too quirky and has some oddly (poorly IMO) designed holes. Didn't seem to play near as hard to me as it was rated.

Outside of those, Cypress has been mentioned and I completely agree. Would be a lot of fun to see the Pros attack that course again. Though I have a feeling they would shred it. It just isn't long enough anymore to compete. A better option may be Spyglass Hill. As long as it during a time when the winds kick up. That course can be a monster and truly a great test of golf.

A couple of courses that I think could be really fun would be The Golf Club in Columbus, Oh (local bias for me there) and The Pete Dye Club in WV. Both are very cool golf courses and are some of Dye's finest work. Neither course would ever let it happen though.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I'd like to see PV and National Golf Links of America. I've played banff springs a handful of times, the pros would eat it up, it's short and there's the elevation factor too. They had the telus skins game there a few years ago and the drives Vegas and Casey hit were outrageous.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1422306964' post='10822735']
Cypress Point and Trump International. The Pros would eat the Bandon courses alive unless it rained heavily all 4 days.
[/quote]
I agree with your Bandon statement. The only reasons I would like to see it as a major championship is because they have plenty of room at those courses to make them longer and harder to play. And I love watching beautiful courses on TV. There aren't many courses more beautiful than Bandon (my opinion).

Odyssey White Ice #1

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1422299735' post='10821829']There are a few courses I'm tired of and would love to see the majors at new locations. I'm tired of Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines, just to name a few
.[/quote]

They've hosted only 1 major at Torrey almost 7 years ago and you're tired of it?

I also would love to see any pro tournament at Bandon, but the infrastructure is woefully deficient, especially for a major. Pine Valley would be great, and National Golf Links. I'd love to see Cypress Point on TV but I'd like to see it in its raw state, not covered with grandstands and hospitality tents.

I would absolutely love to see the PGA return to the South Course at Oakland Hills in Metro Detroit.

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1422374373' post='10827785']
Pretty excited to see Erin Hills in a couple years. Just played there this past summer and that should make for a pretty cool major championship.

Someone voted BWR. Not sure I agree there. The course is way too quirky and has some oddly (poorly IMO) designed holes. Didn't seem to play near as hard to me as it was rated.

Outside of those, Cypress has been mentioned and I completely agree. Would be a lot of fun to see the Pros attack that course again. Though I have a feeling they would shred it. It just isn't long enough anymore to compete. A better option may be Spyglass Hill. As long as it during a time when the winds kick up. That course can be a monster and truly a great test of golf.

A couple of courses that I think could be really fun would be The Golf Club in Columbus, Oh (local bias for me there) and The Pete Dye Club in WV. Both are very cool golf courses and are some of Dye's finest work. Neither course would ever let it happen though.
[/quote][quote name='lilc2334' timestamp='1422637861' post='10849171']
Cypress Point and Trump International. The Pros would eat the Bandon courses alive unless it rained heavily all 4 days.
[/quote]
I agree with your Bandon statement. The only reasons I would like to see it as a major championship is because they have plenty of room at those courses to make them longer and harder to play. And I love watching beautiful courses on TV. There aren't many courses more beautiful than Bandon (my opinion).
[/quote]

BWR is a composite course made up of 9 holes from the River Course and 9 holes from the Meadow Course...the seniors and ladies had a rough time on all three opens staged there. I expect stretched out and with all teeth sharpened it would be a very tough outing for the boys as well...plus it is quite photogenic and would look great on tv in HD.

Bandon Dunes is golf purity at its finest, built with no intention of hosting tournaments or commercial involvement. I just got their coffee table book on all the courses and backgound on the designs...it's great to know there is somebody still out there who just wants to play golf in its simplest form purely for the enjoyment of it.

Cypress Point would make a great "boutique Open" in the mold of Merion, but it will never happen after they told the PGA Tour to take the ATT National & stick it where the sun don't shine in the early 90's. They removed themselves from the course rotation after the Shoal Creek/PGA Championship fiasco and the tour adopting a policy of requiring tournament hosts to have inclusive membership policies...Cypress Point is more restrictive than Augusta National.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Agree with a post above. National Golf Links of America would be fantastic, very old school and right next to Shinnecock. Could also go to Sebonac, which is also next door, for a little new school.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

• 1 month later...

[/quote]

someone hasn't seen the championship tee's at Pacific apparently....but yes far too remote, not nearly enough lodging around the area.

Sand Hills would be a good choice. LACC is being groomed for a major, and that would be very interesting. Spyglass isn't worthy of a major.

Seminole will be interesting when they host the Walker Cup. They'd have to move the PGA until October in order to host it there, though. Pine Valley would be the best choice (never going to happen).

There are some quiet private clubs out there like Old Chatham in NC that could possibly host a major. The course and property there are just huge (and can be stretched out).

The Open Championship at Royal County Down or Royal Dornoch,

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

[quote name='lilc2334' timestamp='1422300137' post='10821905']
[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1422299735' post='10821829']

[/quote]
I completely forgot about Chambers Bay. That course will look amazing on TV!
[/quote]

I hope it looks it looks good. We know the USGA will make it firm and hard so been wondering if it will be a little "light" green... maybe brown in spots.

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1426284963' post='11138531']
[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1422309301' post='10822959']
Cypress Point. Chicago Golf Club.
[/quote]

Pros would tear them to shreds. Cypress alone has probably 4 par-4s that the pros could drive.
[/quote]meh when DL3 & watney played bubba and rickie at cypress a couple years ago DL3 was low man at 67

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='lilc2334' timestamp='1422299363' post='10821759']
I've been thinking about this lately. What are some courses you would love to see Major Championships events play at? Think of courses that have never hosted a Major Championship. The PGA Championship and US Open are all fair game. I would love to see one of the majors be played at French Lick (Dye Course) and play the tips at 8,100 yards. I would be VERY impressed if they can score really well from those tees. Even though they are not a extremely difficult courses ,[b] Banff Springs[/b] and the Bandon Resorts courses would look really nice on TV. Any thoughts? Also, I'm looking forward the pros playing Erin Hills in a couple years.
[/quote]

They have played the Canadian Skins Game twice at the Springs that looked amazing on TV. 2011 - Stephen Ames, Jhonattan Vegas, Lucas Glover, Paul Casey and Anthony Kim. They hit it in places and took routes that I couldn't even envision never mind try...lol. In 2006 it was Stephen Ames, Jack Nicklaus(!), Greg Norman, John Daly and Sergio Garcia.

That being said, it would be far to short for a current Tour event.

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1426462315' post='11149521']
[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1426284963' post='11138531']
[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1422309301' post='10822959']
Cypress Point. Chicago Golf Club.
[/quote]

Pros would tear them to shreds. Cypress alone has probably 4 par-4s that the pros could drive.
[/quote]meh when DL3 & watney played bubba and rickie at cypress a couple years ago DL3 was low man at 67
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, it's the greatest course on the planet, in my opinion. Thing is, it's just not an major-type track. It's the best member's course there is, but tricking it up to defend it for a major is not in the cards