SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,891 ✭✭
    I have only ever played a few holes with a MTB Red (yellow) so can't really say about the MTB Black. Still got a couple more of the Red so I'll give it a better trial first opportunity.

Sorry not to have anything to report!

P.S. I do have a fairly strong preference for yellow balls so I'd certainly HOPE the MTB Red works better for me ;-)
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • aquapigaquapig Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 #3303
    Would it be possible the Red is less spinny off the driver than the Black?
  • robp11robp11 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I think the Red spins more off the driver...at least it did for me.
  • c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Here is a test write up with some numbers, almost no difference in driver spin for him between Black and Red. In my unscientific testing, Red seems to move more right or left, and also rides the wind more than Black, which would imply more spin.

https://practical-golf.com/snell-golf-mtb-red-black-review/
    Cobra F8+ 8.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey White Hot RX RossieTitleist Pro V1x
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,720 ✭✭
    Great article! Just have to wait for the new MTBs to show up here in Canada!? image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • Sledge HammerSledge Hammer Members Posts: 205
    Snell Golf wrote:

monkeyboy wrote:

I don't mean to sound critical, but a small suggestion..

All print on the MTB Black should be Black

All print on the MTB Red should be Red

...more logical that way.

I saw your hats today, a Black hat and a Red hat...both with "MTB Black" printed on the side.

Red deserves it's own identity!

Just kidding - it is your company, not mine...maybe I am just too anal.

great comments.. let me share with you why I did this.. for the hats, we do have RED hats coming in with MTB RED on the side.. New Era did not ship them with this order, and have sent us notice they are to be shipped in May.. the Maroon hats, as well as other colors we may have, can have MTB BLACK or MTB RED on them.. like if we have a Grey hat, this could be either, or maybe even both.. so the maroon is not to be confused as being the RED, or MTB RED hat... that is coming.. maybe having it available now did make it a bit confusing since RED is not there..

For the golf balls and colors... In golf, over the years, RED numbers have always meant lower compression, or softer in feel... The reason I did not put a black number on the MTB BLACK is because this ball has a nice, lower compression softer feel... so the perception of a black number (meaning 100 compression to some) is not the reality of the ball.. so figured, since balls are bought in dozen boxes and sleeves, and shipped to your homes, the numbers are not really seen until the ball is played.. so if you happen to find one out there, and saw the black number, people tend to think it is 100 compression not knowing anything about the ball.. that is why I put the RED number on the MTB BLACK.. hope this helps and makes sense...i chose the performance of the ball to match the number, not the name of the ball to match the number...but appreciate the feedback, as always...

I remember when black numbers meant 100 compression balls and red numbers were 90's, but I think that was a whole different era. I'm pretty sure you are rewriting the book of how balls are designed and marketed, so you are entitled to make a statement and use black numbers for your MTB Black and red numbers for your MTB Red. Establishment (Titleist) be damned. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Golf64 wrote:

Great article! Just have to wait for the new MTBs to show up here in Canada!? image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />

Dean, any word on timing of Canada distribution?

Thanks,
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    Canadian blues again?
    WWG1 WGA
    I was told maybe May?! They are waiting for the boat(delivery) to arrive, I think?
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 #3311
    The U.S. has the blacks and reds

and I have got the blues

Won't ship me no **** golf balls

That I can lose

All these great products

I wish I could try

But nobody gonna ship me some

makes me wanna cry

I am up here willing to pay

So what can I say...

I got the Canadian Distribution Blues

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • Tony772Tony772 Golfanatic Members Posts: 238 ✭✭

Snell Golf wrote:

monkeyboy wrote:

I don't mean to sound critical, but a small suggestion..

All print on the MTB Black should be Black

All print on the MTB Red should be Red

...more logical that way.

I saw your hats today, a Black hat and a Red hat...both with "MTB Black" printed on the side.

Red deserves it's own identity!

Just kidding - it is your company, not mine...maybe I am just too anal.

great comments.. let me share with you why I did this.. for the hats, we do have RED hats coming in with MTB RED on the side.. New Era did not ship them with this order, and have sent us notice they are to be shipped in May.. the Maroon hats, as well as other colors we may have, can have MTB BLACK or MTB RED on them.. like if we have a Grey hat, this could be either, or maybe even both.. so the maroon is not to be confused as being the RED, or MTB RED hat... that is coming.. maybe having it available now did make it a bit confusing since RED is not there..

For the golf balls and colors... In golf, over the years, RED numbers have always meant lower compression, or softer in feel... The reason I did not put a black number on the MTB BLACK is because this ball has a nice, lower compression softer feel... so the perception of a black number (meaning 100 compression to some) is not the reality of the ball.. so figured, since balls are bought in dozen boxes and sleeves, and shipped to your homes, the numbers are not really seen until the ball is played.. so if you happen to find one out there, and saw the black number, people tend to think it is 100 compression not knowing anything about the ball.. that is why I put the RED number on the MTB BLACK.. hope this helps and makes sense...i chose the performance of the ball to match the number, not the name of the ball to match the number...but appreciate the feedback, as always...

I remember when black numbers meant 100 compression balls and red numbers were 90's, but I think that was a whole different era. I'm pretty sure you are rewriting the book of how balls are designed and marketed, so you are entitled to make a statement and use black numbers for your MTB Black and red numbers for your MTB Red. Establishment (Titleist) be damned. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I can't really believe it but I'm old enough to remember "black is 100, red is 90". What a bummer. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    F6+ 9.5 Black Tie 65M4 X
    917F 15* Diamana S+ 70S
    F6 18* Red Tie S
    F6 21.5* Red Tie S
    Z545 5 - P KBS Tour S
    SM4 48*
    Mack Daddy 2 52*, 58*
    TM Spider OS
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 678 ✭✭

The U.S. has the blacks and reds

and I have got the blues

Won't ship me no **** golf balls

That I can lose

All these great products

I wish I could try

But nobody gonna ship me some

makes me wanna cry

I am up here willing to pay

So what can I say...

Maybe we cannot get the products over the wall?
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
  • Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Golf64 wrote:

I was told maybe May?! They are waiting for the boat(delivery) to arrive, I think?
    Yes...they have ordered them and waiting on the delivery... some minor issues in shipping, but it is moving again and on the way... It looks like the delivery is scheduled for the week of May 20th.... so I would expect to see them up on the Canada site during that week, or close to that date...
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    Snell Golf wrote:

Golf64 wrote:

Yes...they have ordered them and waiting on the delivery... some minor issues in shipping, but it is moving again and on the way... It looks like the delivery is scheduled for the week of May 20th.... so I would expect to see them up on the Canada site during that week, or close to that date...

Canadian blues got the momentum....
    WWG1 WGA
    So looks like end of May?! Good thing I have a dz. Tru Softs left over from last yr. to use in the mean time.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,328 ✭✭
    Blacks were great today in my first round with them. VERY NICE feeling ball especially off the driver. Also had some nice action around the greens.

Only one round but I'm impressed.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    I played 9 with each again today but swapped the 9”s from last time. Scored better again with the reds.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • crazygolfnutcrazygolfnut CrazyGolfNut Members Posts: 1,176 ✭✭
    [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I ordered and just received my dozen Reds. Inside the package was a thank you note from Dean. Thanks Dean![/background]
    • Driver: ________ Ping G400 Max
    • Woods: _______ Ping G410 3 & 5 woods
    • Hybrids: ______ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
    • Irons: _________ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
    • Wedges: ______ Titleist Vokey SM6 52.08F & 56.08M
    • Putter: ________ Rife Mid Mallet 400
    • Ball: ___________ Snell MTB Red Yellow - looking for a replacement
    • Bag: ___________ Datrek Lite Rider
    • GPS: ___________ Bushnell NEO Ghost
    • Rangefinder: __ Precision Pro NX7
    • GHIN: _________ HCP floats between 10 and 12

“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,789 ✭✭

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I ordered and just received my dozen Reds. Inside the package was a thank you note from Dean. Thanks Dean![/background]

He still does that. Wow!

Getting ready to order a test pack.
    TM M6 10.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • MiddlerMiddler Members Posts: 366
    edited May 6, 2018 #3321
    Tony772 wrote:
    I can't really believe it but I'm old enough to remember "black is 100, red is 90". What a bummer. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I must be older than most here, I remember when:
    • Black brand name & number was 100
    • Black name & red number was 90
    • Red name & number was 80, and only played by women.

And the only clubs that had blue heads, grips or anything else on them were women's clubs.
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
  • HowieHowie Members Posts: 562 ✭✭
    Middler wrote:

I must be older than most here, I remember when:
    • Black brand name & number was 100
    • Black name & red number was 90
    • Red name & number was 80, and only played by women.

And the only clubs that had blue heads, grips or anything else on them were women's clubs.

Remember all that as well. Simpler times, I guess.
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,469 ✭✭
    I just played these balls for the first time today (Black) and I was impressed. It seemed to perform very similar to a ProV1 for me. It had nice feel, good length, and what appears to be similar spin. The only negative was that the cover seemed to scuff a little more easily than the ProV1 or Chrome Soft or Bridgestone; this was a minor difference. I would definitely play this ball, rather than spending $12 more per dozen to play one of the big brand names for what amounts to similar performance for me.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Synergy Black Proto 60TX shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Synergy Black Proto 65TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    Mob wrote:

I just played these balls for the first time today (Black) and I was impressed. It seemed to perform very similar to a ProV1 for me. It had nice feel, good length, and what appears to be similar spin. The only negative was that the cover seemed to scuff a little more easily than the ProV1 or Chrome Soft or Bridgestone; this was a minor difference. I would definitely play this ball, rather than spending $12 more per dozen to play one of the big brand names for what amounts to similar performance for me.

Interesting. I tried a Tour B X this weekend and shredded that in a few spots after only 4 holes. ProV's, TP5/X or the Snell I have not had that issue with.
  • MiddlerMiddler Members Posts: 366
    edited May 7, 2018 #3325
    CDM wrote:

Mob wrote:

Interesting. I tried a Tour B X this weekend and shredded that in a few spots after only 4 holes. ProV's, TP5/X or the Snell I have not had that issue with.

+1. I used several dozen original Snell MTB’s last year without any scuffing or discoloration issues, so I’m not expecting issues with Reds or Blacks. Sure they’ll mark if you hit a cart path like any decent ball, but otherwise they’ve held up well for me.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
    Middler wrote:

CDM wrote:

Mob wrote:

+1. I used several dozen original Snell MTB's last year without any scuffing or discoloration issues, so I'm not expecting issues with Reds or Blacks. Sure they'll mark if you hit a cart path like any decent ball, but otherwise they've held up well for me.
    the cover on the MTB and the MTB BLACK are the same urethane cover.. so the durability of the cover should be the same.. and when the core compression is lowered, like we did on MTB BLACK, that typically helps with the overall ball cover durability as well... but in general, they should be very similar..
  • UnteachableUnteachable North MississippiBST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,063 ✭✭
    For Dean- Ive noticed the Blacks (my preference of the 2) have already gone on back order twice since the release. Are you expecting long term problems keeping these available?
  • HehatemeHehateme Members Posts: 547 ✭✭
    I have been somewhat critical of the Snell ball in this thread, and still struggle with a lack of green side spin, but have played 3 or 4 rounds using the red and black exclusively and found that both balls play well. I prefer the Red fwiw.
  • JDW3JDW3 Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Played another round with the blacks today. It is a great ball. I really liked the original MTB and the black seems to be better in all areas. I have some reds to test too but I think they are going to have a tough time beating out the blacks. Great work Dean!
    Driver: Ping G400 Max
    3 wood: Cobra F9
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • monks66monks66 Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    They are on backorder.....so you can see the love for the MTB Blacks....
    monks66 wrote:

They are on backorder.....so you can see the love for the MTB Blacks....
    yes, this backorder is due to a delay in the shipment coming in.. they were due in on May 6th, but we got a call late saying May 13th.... so back order is over soon and game on... thanks..sales have been outstanding this year, and I appreciate the support, orders and patience... also got some real cool new hats in... should be posted on site in a few days...