SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    Somewhere earlier in the thread I asked about the new Snell series in Canada.

Dean gave a reply that they would be available here starting May 18th.

May 28th I ordered 5 doz and they showed up May 31st.

Great job guys, great service and at a great price.

I marked the balls with my usual ID mark and noticed that the finish is somewhat different than other urethane balls such as Bridgestone and Callaway. Those 2 seem to have a slight tacky feel to them and the Snell is slippery.

Anyone else notice this and can comment on it?
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 #3423
    larciel wrote:

I have bought MTBs from my local Big 5. It's a smaller, old-school store that reminds me of my youth (all those days of buying fishing stuff and sleeping bags, etc...simpler times). I asked them to start acquiring the Get Sums. I have a couple boxes of those crossing the nation as I type this. Way overlooked ball, IMO.

Didn't know snell was available offline. Is this official channel or just some diversion selling?
    Dean himself has noted in this thread that a couple of places have asked to sell his golf balls and have worked it out to do so. Global Golf has also sold the Snell balls.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1130047-snell-golf-balls-anyone/page__st__3360#entry17420270
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,202 ✭✭
    cool. would big5 carry MTB Blacks soon?
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:

Sorry I have no idea. PM Dean or direct reply to Dean and ask him. He can answer your question better than anybody else.
  • c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited Jun 1, 2018 #3426
    Quasimoto wrote:

I marked the balls with my usual ID mark and noticed that the finish is somewhat different than other urethane balls such as Bridgestone and Callaway. Those 2 seem to have a slight tacky feel to them and the Snell is slippery.

Quasi, were those Reds? I haven't tried to mark any of mine (one of the niceties of playing yellow balls), but Red has a different cover than Black and I could see where the TPU cover of the red would not take marker as well.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi SCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 52,56 - DG S300Odyssey White Hot RX RossieBridgestone Tour B XS
  • robp11robp11 Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Check this out:

https://www.tgw.com/snell-golf-mtb-black-golf-balls

They have the Red also, in both white and yellow. I was going to order 2 more dozen from Snell, but was on TGW because I needed some gloves and some other items, so I ordered the Snell's from them as well and got the free shipping.

Incidentally, my clear preference early in the year was for the blacks, because our fairways and greens were wet and I found the Red's in the fairway several times in their own pitch marks. With the blacks, I was getting some roll. Also, I spun some red's right off the green several times with front pin locations.

However, our greens are getting firmer, and I was thinking that when it starts to get hot and the fairways are baked and the greens are dry and firm, that might be a good time for me to switch back to the Reds. I'm glad I have both.
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    c50sooner wrote:

Quasimoto wrote:

Quasi, were those Reds? I haven't tried to mark any of mine (one of the niceties of playing yellow balls), but Red has a different cover than Black and I could see where the TPU cover of the red would not take marker as well.

Yes, these are the Red MTB.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    I found $10 Big 5 coupon stuffed in coupon envelope in mail. That means OG MTB for $22 plus tax. If interested, scan your snail mail well.
    WWG1 WGA
  • Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 537 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

larciel wrote:

Sorry I have no idea. PM Dean or direct reply to Dean and ask him. He can answer your question better than anybody else.

yes, they should have MTB BLACK in stock very soon, if not already...
    Snell Golf wrote:

grm24 wrote:

larciel wrote:

yes, they should have MTB BLACK in stock very soon, if not already...

How about MTB Red?
    WWG1 WGA
    They already have it.
    larciel wrote:

They already have it.

Thanx for the update.

I only see og MTB online but I will have to make a visit. I look forward to testing RED.
    WWG1 WGA
    cool. let me know if they have black. I'm in socal as well.
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭
    Got my trial pack, excited to get them out to the course in a couple days. Playing 9 after work on Wed and then playing in a scramble on Saturday.

Both feel nice off the putter just putting at home, slightly prefer the red actually but so close it doent’t matter much. Bouncing a ball off a wedge I like the feel/sound of the black. So we’ll see what happens when I get outside with them. I honestly have no idea which I’ll prefer.

Packaging is great, feels/looks very quality and like what you’d expect for a premium ball. The balls and printing look great too. I need a ball Im visually comfortable with and it’s one reason I’ve gravitated towards Titleist (best logo in the business!)...but after handling these, I’ll be buying the value pack once I decide on Red vs Black, assuming they live up to expectations, which I have no doubt they will.

I really think this is a great business model for golf balls
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    Got my $10 off Big5. If they have the MTB Red near my house I will be trying them this weekend.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • RobDMBRobDMB Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2018 #3437
    Any higher swing speed players playing the Reds instead of the Black? Also for those that played the original MTB and now play the Black, do you find it spins just as much?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping Anser 9.5* Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood
    Ping i20 Hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-AW Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    So I have stopped in at 3 different Big5 locations in the OC area. (I drive a lot so when I see one I stop). They all seem to carry 1-2 boxes of the MTB-Red only (also white only).

Just a thought but if they only are going to carry one offering , why not test packs , 6 of each?

I am guessing this is a test product for Big5 and if they move they can bring in more variations.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭
    RobDMB wrote:

Any higher swing speed players playing the Reds instead of the Black? Also for those that played the original MTB and now play the Black, do you find it spins just as much?

I'm not a "high swing speed" only around 100mph, but I believe the articles and comparison stories of these balls vs Pro V1 with stronger swing speeds all 3 played basically played identical off the driver, all ball speeds, launch, spin were in .5mph within the 3 balls, launch within 1 degree of all, and spun no more or less than 200rpm between them all, and flew with 1-2 yards of each at most.
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,204 ✭✭
    RobDMB wrote:

Yes, i have 120 plus CHS. and i prefer the red to black every day all day.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • hwturner17hwturner17 Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Does anyone (looking at you Dean...) know the approximate compression # for the get sum ball? Also, any update on the new iteration of the get sum Dean?

Thanks!
    Driver: M5
    FW: Ping Anser 4 wood
    Irons: Mizuno MP-18 Combo X-100
    Wedges: 50/54/58 Callaway Mack Daddy Forged
    Putter: Odyssey #7

Ball: Many
  • Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 537 ✭✭
    hwturner17 wrote:

Does anyone (looking at you Dean...) know the approximate compression # for the get sum ball? Also, any update on the new iteration of the get sum Dean?

Thanks!

the GET SUM compression is around 60...we are in prototyping now for new GET SUM balls, and hope to have finalized in month or two, then plan the launch.... so most likely around the fall
    hwturner17 wrote:
    Does anyone (looking at you Dean...) know the approximate compression # for the get sum ball? Also, any update on the new iteration of the get sum Dean? Thanks!

with the equipment in your sig, i am surprised that you are interested in the get sum.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,616 ClubWRX
    Scheels had both the Red and Black. But not the yellow version. Until I get some yellow ones I’ve set my Snells aside. I’ll probably play through my existing stock of yellow balls and then order some “yellow reds”. I’m giving several leaves of my white ones to friends to try. So far they’ve all been impressed.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Scheels had both the Red and Black. But not the yellow version. Until I get some yellow ones I’ve set my Snells aside. I’ll probably play through my existing stock of yellow balls and then order some “yellow reds”. I’m giving several leaves of my white ones to friends to try. So far they’ve all been impressed.

The Scheels where i live does not have them at all.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    rymail00 wrote:

RobDMB wrote:

I'm not a "high swing speed" only around 100mph, but I believe the articles and comparison stories of these balls vs Pro V1 with stronger swing speeds all 3 played basically played identical off the driver, all ball speeds, launch, spin were in .5mph within the 3 balls, launch within 1 degree of all, and spun no more or less than 200rpm between them all, and flew with 1-2 yards of each at most.

This is good news. Played ProV1s for years, but stopped because I had dificulty seeing white balls in flight. I was playing Chrome Soft when I stopped playing a couple years ago, and am now getting back into playing again.

SS is slowing down (down to 105 now) so I'm in uncharted territory now regarding balls. According to a recent fitting, I still hit a high ball with a steeper than average approach angle. Hoping for a bit of zip on the ball when it hits the greens as they are harder here in AZ than back east.

My order of a dozen Reds (optic yellow) is in Phoenix, and I should have them in a few days. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,616 ClubWRX
    QuigleyDU wrote:

The Scheels where i live does not have them at all.

This is the one in Loveland, CO. And they didn’t have much stock, looked like two or three boxes of each was all.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Break81 wrote:

So I have stopped in at 3 different Big5 locations in the OC area. (I drive a lot so when I see one I stop). They all seem to carry 1-2 boxes of the MTB-Red only (also white only).

Just a thought but if they only are going to carry one offering , why not test packs , 6 of each?

I am guessing this is a test product for Big5 and if they move they can bring in more variations.

I checked out Brea & Anaheim (off Orangethorpe & Lemon) stores. Red only. If I get a chance, I will check out the El Segundo HQ store.
    WWG1 WGA
  • flushem wrote:
    Break81 wrote:

I checked out Brea & Anaheim (off Orangethorpe & Lemon) stores. Red only. If I get a chance, I will check out the El Segundo HQ store.

Why not just order direct? Seems a lot easier

flushem wrote:
    Break81 wrote:

absolutely. but having a quick local source is not a bad idea, especially you can get it CHEAP.
    WWG1 WGA
  • flushem wrote:

flushem wrote:
    Break81 wrote:

absolutely. but having a quick local source is not a bad idea, especially you can get it CHEAP.

Are in store prices less then online form snell?