SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have Snell's prices increased? I thought they were $31.99 way back when the MTB first came out (4-5 years ago). I see they are $32.99 now. That's basically the same price.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,922 ClubWRX

@TinCup19 said:
    they were probably a better bargain a few years ago. but it seems that even their prices are starting to creep up to the top golf ball brands.

If you buy one dozen its $32.99 + tax, or $27.99 + tax per dozen if you buy the value pack, shipped. How is that creeping up to the same price as the "top" golf ball brands?

Pro-V1 - $47.99
    TP - $44.99
    Tour B - $44.99
    Chrome Soft - $44.99

5 dozen Snell - $139
    5 Dozen Pro-V - $239

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The weak point in the pricing argument isn't the normal list price. Other than Titleist, most of the other big-name-brand balls show up from time to time on eBay for something less than Snell's pricing. Maybe last year model or maybe with "PRACTICE" on them or maybe just someone selling off a few dozen at well under normal price.

But if you just want to go online and order a dozen or two at retail they're cheaper than the name-brand ones by 20-30%, which isn't nothing.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. If you want to wait around for the time some of those go on sale, which you can’t bank on lines up when you need balls, then they can be had for the same price as Snell. But if you need balls at anytime, Snell is almost always considerably cheaper.

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

When you consider that the Snell balls offer the same quality and performance (perhaps even better performance) than the premium tour balls, they are a bargain. I was not attracted to Snell because of the price, but rather the performance. When I found that I could get better performance from Snell and save some money too... well, how can you beat that. Although I know there are some that are up to their necks in the cool aid some of the ball manufacturers are selling that they would never consider a DTC ball. Their loss.

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭

i though that the taxes were included in the pricing. ?

• tbohtboh Need a game ... Im in MarylandMembers Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Snell Black ... best ball for me regardless of price (cheaper is just icing) 🏌️‍♂️⛳👍

G400 10.5*
    200 Steel 15*
    Rescue #2 16*
    919 Hm 4-5
    919 F 6-P
    T7 Blue 50* 54*
    Er2 Sqback
    Ogio
    Mtb Black
  • el_b00tel_b00t Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

@TinCup19 said:
    they were probably a better bargain a few years ago. but it seems that even their prices are starting to creep up to the top golf ball brands.

Yea I just left golfballs retail store and they had TP5’s for like $30 a dozen on sale right now.

• Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Been playing the MTB-X for a little over a month now and love it. Bought a test pack of yellow Black and X to just see what the Black is like. Love the color Dean amd company came up with...reminds me of the Nike Volt color. Looking forward to seeing how the Black performs on the course now.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • DevilDogDevilDog Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Snell balls are terrific. The MTB series are quite good. Performance will be same or slightly better than the big name brands at a much less cost. Not sure why more people don't play them.

• marks21marks21 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I have been switching between the Z-Star XV and MTB balls for the past year or so. Both play very similar and I will usually play whichever I can get for the best price. Dick's had a recent promotion for 2018 Z-Stars for $20 and I picked up a few dozen. These will probably last me through the season but I will keep my eyes on the Snell for deals or stock up at the value pack price when I need.

Cobra F7+ Driver 9* Aldila Tour Green 75 X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
    Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
    Toulon Portland H3
    Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,922 ClubWRX

Played the MTB-X today for 9 holes. This ball really feels nice off every club in the bag. The downside for me is I was getting a lot of additional spin off the driver, fairway wood and hybrid. I normally play a 5-10 yard draw with my woods, but with the MTB-X I was getting 20-30 yard draws. With my driver, the ball would start of on my normal line and have the same movement I'm use to seeing for the first 200 yards or so, then it would just turn right (I'm a lefty).

I liked the additional spin around the greens (it was superb) and it putted beautifully. i just can't live with the driver spin. For a person who likes to work the ball off the tee, this is the one.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is a lower compression Snell Tour ball ever in the works competing with Duo Pro, QST?

Played both the black and x in our industrial league and liked both. I still really can’t tell much a difference in performance other than the black feels slightly softer. They both spin well. I could play either and be happy.

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hot Rod 71 said:
    Played the MTB-X today for 9 holes. This ball really feels nice off every club in the bag. The downside for me is I was getting a lot of additional spin off the driver, fairway wood and hybrid. I normally play a 5-10 yard draw with my woods, but with the MTB-X I was getting 20-30 yard draws. With my driver, the ball would start of on my normal line and have the same movement I'm use to seeing for the first 200 yards or so, then it would just turn right (I'm a lefty).

I liked the additional spin around the greens (it was superb) and it putted beautifully. i just can't live with the driver spin. For a person who likes to work the ball off the tee, this is the one.

Precisely the same reason why I game Black.

WWG1 WGA
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larciel said:
    Id buy Snell even if it was$40 a dozen.
    It's pretty good.

Shhh, I'd only pay 5 bucks, wink wink

Played both again today and i still can’t really see a performance difference. Both feel and spin fine. The yellow are quite durable too.

• Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 3, 2019 3:11am #4641

@Minarets said:
    Played both again today and i still can’t really see a performance difference. Both feel and spin fine. The yellow are quite durable too.

Been playing the X for about a month. Bought a test pack to try the black knowing I love the X. Been playing the black exclusively this week. Love the feel of the black on all shots but feel like the ball spins (floats) a little more on the drives (still darn solid). X is also better 100 and in from my experience. Both are fantastic balls. All depends on what you want out out of your ball.YMMV.

Post edited by Go_Blue! on
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV

@Go_Blue! said:

@Minarets said:

Been playing the X for about a month. Bought a test pack to try the black knowing I love the X. Been saying the black exclusively this week. Love the feel of the ball on all shots. Feel the ball spins (floats) a little more on the drives (still darn solid). X is also better 100 and in from my experience. Both are fantastic balls. All depends on what you want out out of your ball.YMMV.

Yeah, i was hoping to see a difference tho so I could feel like I was getting more out of one or the other. It’s not really a bad thing as I love them and the color, I just see plenty of spin from the blacks (which i was worried wouldn’t spin enough) and i get plenty of distance from the blacks (which i was worried about) and they feel nice. The x feels more solid (than Soft) but I feel they spin close to the same on short stuff and fly nice and long as well.

Maybe I will start to see a difference the more i play them. But 2 rounds and practice putting/chipping/pitching and not seeing it yet.

That said, i love them. Just having a hard time picking one.

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I gammed the Original MTB's forcouple years, bought a big order when they first released. Just recently re-upped on the blacks, but wishing I would have grabbed a couple dozen of the x's to try... I play alot of golf in thailand and vietnam, saw a store in Bangkok with a huge display of blacks last year, they were asking 2000 bhat, or $65 US a dozen, I just chuckled and laughed. This was also a store that also only sold PXG, I didn't dare ask what they wanted for those .. discount ball and super premium clubs, I found it funny..

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice the X balls seem to be less white than other balls? Almost yellowing? Ball performs GREAT but it's strange setting it on the green as it's less white than other balls.

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimb6golf said:
    Anyone notice the X balls seem to be less white than other balls? Almost yellowing? Ball performs GREAT but it's strange setting it on the green as it's less white than other balls.

off white like the older prov? when i first started golfing i bought some from the lost golf balls.com, always knew which ball was mine thought they looked great.

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not really of white, although it's not as white as others but more that it seems to discolor with use perhaps. Not really sure. Kinda like the previous TPU covers that weren't as bright I guess.

• callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 3:30am #4647

I’m a 6 HC...With a Yellow snell MTB-X, I shot even par on the front 9 at Pebble Beach on 7/31(Followed it with a 41 on the back). I hit every fairway but one on the front and and all on the back 9. They were still US open width but the rough was much less but still there. Greens were firm. I had issues holding the green (they too were still firm) with my approach on 16 and tee shot on 17. They hit by the pin and released to the rough. My Birdies were with shorter approach clubs but they were kick in. It’s a great ball.

• gregpeppergregpepper Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

Last year did a test of ProV1, ChromeSoft and TP5. All good balls. This year been testing snell and mizuno balls. (Not to hijakc the thread but also impressed with the mizzy ball!). Picked up the Snell trial pack. Big fan of the ball! I see a five dozen pack of X in my future!

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shot a 75 with the black today... it’s my gamer for the foreseeable future.

It did everything I wanted it to do.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have confession...... that I have sinned playing Cally CS and TM TP5X. as a result, I had crappy 3 rounds.

WWG1 WGA
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@flushem said:
    I have confession...... that I have sinned playing Cally CS and TM TP5X. as a result, I had crappy 3 rounds.

I was distinctly unimpressed with the tp5x. Can’t put a finger on why.... chrome soft as well.

I’m fine with either prov as long as I’m not paying! Bridgestone x would be my gamer if snell didn’t exist.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file