Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would just say the opposite. The yellow are super durable, I feel.

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have really fell in love with the X's
    At first I didn't care for the feel off my 410's. I stuck with them and that feeling is gone.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Deuce78Deuce78 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarwin said:
    For those that play the X (in both yellow and white)... do you notice that the cover on the yellow version is less durable than the white? My yellows scuff pretty easily and am wondering if the white is any more durable, as I've seen stated somewhere.

I'd Agree with that....

TM M5 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
    PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
    PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
    Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x
    MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/5-7-965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW
    Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/TVD/black Glides
    NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x
    Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM
  • el_b00tel_b00t Members Posts: 61 ✭✭

@Deuce78 said:

@dcarwin said:
    For those that play the X (in both yellow and white)... do you notice that the cover on the yellow version is less durable than the white? My yellows scuff pretty easily and am wondering if the white is any more durable, as I've seen stated somewhere.

I'd Agree with that....

I 3rd this.

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@el_b00t said:

@Deuce78 said:

@dcarwin said:

I'd Agree with that....

I 3rd this.

The same experience with Yellow Black. But I think it is paint/coating off. I do not see issue in performance.

WWG1 WGA

Weird. My yellow test pack have been indestructible

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX

@dcarwin said:

I ordered the yellow Black/X test pack when they were first released and I noticed the yellow seemed to to chip off on the X. I played the original MTB and Black (both in white) since they were released and durability was always excellent. I purchased a dozen of the White X a few weeks ago and the durability was excellent on those as well.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@dcarwin said:

I ordered the yellow Black/X test pack when they were first released and I noticed the yellow seemed to to chip off on the X. I played the original MTB and Black (both in white) since they were released and durability was always excellent. I purchased a dozen of the White X a few weeks ago and the durability was excellent on those as well.

So do you think it's a paint thing on the yellow moreso than damage to the actual urethane underneath?

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@dcarwin said:

So do you think it's a paint thing on the yellow moreso than damage to the actual urethane underneath?

Paint thing, imp. My yellows have held up nicely, however did see a little chip after a couple of rounds and bunker shots. Not big or noticeable, but it was there.

I love the color of Dean's yellow. However, I love the look of Srixon's with the clear cost gloss look.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX

@North Butte said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@dcarwin said:

To me it looked like a paint issue, not a cover issue.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 25, 2019 3:14pm #4692

Not sure if I can credit the ball exclusively, but I had a personal best four birdies yesterday.
    Two of them were full swings that stopped and hopped within two feet of the hole.
    The other two were good putts.

Ping G400 LST
    Ping G SFT 5W
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone be so kind as to post the US price list for MTB Black / X please? They use a geographic redirect and I can't get to their US site. So annoying...

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TheShaun said:
    Can someone be so kind as to post the US price list for MTB Black / X please? They use a geographic redirect and I can't get to their US site. So annoying...

$32.99 a dozen
    5 dozen for $139.95

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trackcoach13 said:

@TheShaun said:

$32.99 a dozen
    5 dozen for $139.95

Thanks. Do you know what their US shipping charge is?

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TheShaun said:

@trackcoach13 said:

@TheShaun said:

$32.99 a dozen
    5 dozen for $139.95

Thanks. Do you know what their US shipping charge is?

Free

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COmedic said:
    I seem to play the black better than the X. I do notice the decrease of green side spin a bit with the black, but it’s a small sacrifice compared to my driver mishits with the MTB-X. I feel like they hyper slice when I’m having a bad day with the driver. Both seem to fly long when struck properly.

That is what has worried me about possibly switching to the X because I really love the MTB Black. And I still have 2+ dozen left, but I went ahead and ordered a box of the X to try them out so that I know which ball I will get on my next 5 dozen order.

WITB

PXG  0811x Evenflow Blue 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4 swingweight)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG 400 gram Bat Attack putter(double bend shaft)
    Snell MTB Black
  • COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Absolutely worth trying out, some people love them. I’m not a big fan of the sound/feel with the X’s either. I seem to fall more in the Black/Z-Star/ProV1 crowd.

@1Mordrid1 said:
    That is what has worried me about possibly switching to the X because I really love the MTB Black. And I still have 2+ dozen left, but I went ahead and ordered a box of the X to try them out so that I know which ball I will get on my next 5 dozen order.

• herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

I'm really loving the MTB-X! Seriously, I have never tried a premium ball so durable as the Snell X. 2 and a half rounds with same ball and looks like I played 5 holes with it (for reference, I pretty much have tried all of the X-type balls in the market. Performance wise? Distance is crazy (same as the Bridgestone Tour XB) and spin is insane on the greens (was spinning some wedges like crazy yesterday, some even 12+ feet) and pitches stop dead on the spot almost. Then you add the lower price and this is a deadly combo for sure.

Right now is between MTB-X and Tour BX as my ball of choice.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@herbert7890 said:
    I'm really loving the MTB-X! Seriously, I have never tried a premium ball so durable as the Snell X. 2 and a half rounds with same ball and looks like I played 5 holes with it (for reference, I pretty much have tried all of the X-type balls in the market. Performance wise? Distance is crazy (same as the Bridgestone Tour XB) and spin is insane on the greens (was spinning some wedges like crazy yesterday, some even 12+ feet) and pitches stop dead on the spot almost. Then you add the lower price and this is a deadly combo for sure.

This is making me rethink my dedication to the Black... again. Sigh.

The Tour BX was my favorite ball of the season... I'm playing the black right now... still have some to get through... might pull the trigger on the X next time around. We shall see.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:

@herbert7890 said:

The Tour BX was my favorite ball of the season... I'm playing the black right now... still have some to get through... might pull the trigger on the X next time around. We shall see.

Please do, you will most likely be so glad you tried the X : ) I have a dozen balls of ALL premium brands at my house (including the X and the "Regular" so I still have like 10 dozen there but after that, there is a high chance I will default to MTB-X.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@herbert7890 said:

@Myherobobhope said:

@herbert7890 said:

Please do, you will most likely be so glad you tried the X : ) I have a dozen balls of ALL premium brands at my house (including the X and the "Regular" so I still have like 10 dozen there but after that, there is a high chance I will default to MTB-X.

The MTB X is what I started my season with... but it was early in the season and now I don't feel like I gave them the proper chance!
    The blacks play great for me, though. I think the only thing that could possibly kick them out of the bag is a tremendous deal on the B X or the MTB-X out performing them.

My season is coming to an end, though... so maybe I'll just wait until next spring.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

i wanted to like the MTB X but just didnt get along with it. Maybe I'm more of a fit for the Black. Had a good test this weekend in a 2-Man as it was a little cooler and windy. The X just seemed to spin too much off of the driver for me. I believe it's a good ball for sure just not a good fit for me. May order some Blacks and give them another go.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19

They definitely don’t feel the same but I really couldn’t see much difference in results. Both spun fine in the short game. Both seemed long enough off the driver.

Weird

• Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Minarets said:
    They definitely don’t feel the same but I really couldn’t see much difference in results. Both spun fine in the short game. Both seemed long enough off the driver.

Weird

There should not be much difference in the two models when you are close to the green... both have soft cast urethane covers and firm mantles behind the cover to create the short game "check" spin.. on longer shots, like 8, 9, pw, and AW type shots, the MTB X balls should have higher spin into the greens for these shots... off the driver, both will be lower spin, fast ball speeds and long...

Ordered 5 dozen yellow MTB-X yesterday

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

Has anyone found a difference between the MTB red vs MTB X?

• kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I switched to Snells with the original MTB. I now have 8 dozen of the MTB Black and 8 dozen of the MTB-X. I have 4 in white and 4 in yellow of each. I play the MTB-X on firm greens and the MTB Black on soft greens. I am so in love with the Snell Golf Balls that I dont look at another brand. I still have 2 dozen of the second iteration of the MTB. I have had about 6 of my golf buddies make the switch and have had people I get paired up with when I go out alone buy some and love them. I have my only hole in one with MTB Black. The only Snell ball that did not like was the MTB Red and Dean has made up for it with the MTB-X.

In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kejoal11 said:
    I switched to Snells with the original MTB. I now have 8 dozen of the MTB Black and 8 dozen of the MTB-X. I have 4 in white and 4 in yellow of each. I play the MTB-X on firm greens and the MTB Black on soft greens. I am so in love with the Snell Golf Balls that I dont look at another brand. I still have 2 dozen of the second iteration of the MTB. I have had about 6 of my golf buddies make the switch and have had people I get paired up with when I go out alone buy some and love them. I have my only hole in one with MTB Black. The only Snell ball that did not like was the MTB Red and Dean has made up for it with the MTB-X.

Why do you need 16 dozen golf balls?

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights