Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

1152153154155156158»

Comments

• foreleft2008foreleft2008 Kadena AFBMembers Posts: 12 ✭✭

I played the MTB Black last summer and fall; and deployed in December and thus no golf for six months. While I was deployed I decided that the MTB-X was going to be in my bag when I returned. I got back to the course the middle to end of July and was overjoyed with the results of the ball. I gained distance off the tee, and the feel for me around the green was exactly what I needed. Very consistent on short-game shots and would bite with mid to long irons into the green from distance. I don't have easy access to any Trackman or launch monitor to provide any tangible hard data, but I don't see myself playing another ball for the foreseeable future.

TM M4 10.5* w/ Oban Gold 75X
    TM R15 5 wood w/ Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3-X
    Adams Tour Proto 18* w/ Matrix Ozik Hybrid 105-x
    Miura Y-Blades 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper 130X
    Callaway 2019 PM Grind 54*, 60* w/ KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Piretti Potenza
    Snell MTB -X

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

@kejoal11 said:
    I switched to Snells with the original MTB. I now have 8 dozen of the MTB Black and 8 dozen of the MTB-X. I have 4 in white and 4 in yellow of each. I play the MTB-X on firm greens and the MTB Black on soft greens. I am so in love with the Snell Golf Balls that I dont look at another brand. I still have 2 dozen of the second iteration of the MTB. I have had about 6 of my golf buddies make the switch and have had people I get paired up with when I go out alone buy some and love them. I have my only hole in one with MTB Black. The only Snell ball that did not like was the MTB Red and Dean has made up for it with the MTB-X.

How come you did not like the MTB red?

• arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

@Go_Blue! said:
    Why do you need 16 dozen golf balls?

That's my biggest issue with Snell. I need to order 5 dozen to really save on what I can get the Bridgestone BXS or Srixon Z-Star for. I don't think it's better than those balls (and it might be slightly less durable). 5 dozen would probably last me an entire year (or more depending on how often I play). I also live in a 900 square foot house and don't want to store more golf balls then I need. With those other two balls, I can simply set up Amazon to send me a dozen every other month and I save and extra 5-10% on them.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've long said that Snell's pricing is only really attractive to someone who's in the habit of paying retail at the golf course pro shop for his Titleist/Taylormade/Callaway/Bridgestone/Srixon balls. Snell is a bit of a premium priced option compared to the white-label models that tend to define the "DTC" space.

The appeal of Snell balls comes from either really preferred his specific models, really wanted to support Dean himself or for whatever reason liking them enough to have some brand loyalty. The pricing is also attractive enough to be a bonus compared to buying other name brands at retail pricing.

Snell has never been the choice of the brand-agnostic hardcore deal seeker. Those guys just haunt eBay and grab whatever's cheap in last year's model from whatever brand it happens to be. I suspect Dean is fine with not being the go-to brand for gimlet-eyed discount shoppers.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@Go_Blue! said:

@kejoal11 said:
    I switched to Snells with the original MTB. I now have 8 dozen of the MTB Black and 8 dozen of the MTB-X. I have 4 in white and 4 in yellow of each. I play the MTB-X on firm greens and the MTB Black on soft greens. I am so in love with the Snell Golf Balls that I dont look at another brand. I still have 2 dozen of the second iteration of the MTB. I have had about 6 of my golf buddies make the switch and have had people I get paired up with when I go out alone buy some and love them. I have my only hole in one with MTB Black. The only Snell ball that did not like was the MTB Red and Dean has made up for it with the MTB-X.

Who doesn't? :)

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:
    I've long said that Snell's pricing is only really attractive to someone who's in the habit of paying retail at the golf course pro shop for his Titleist/Taylormade/Callaway/Bridgestone/Srixon balls. Snell is a bit of a premium priced option compared to the white-label models that tend to define the "DTC" space.

The appeal of Snell balls comes from either really preferred his specific models, really wanted to support Dean himself or for whatever reason liking them enough to have some brand loyalty. The pricing is also attractive enough to be a bonus compared to buying other name brands at retail pricing.

Snell has never been the choice of the brand-agnostic hardcore deal seeker. Those guys just haunt eBay and grab whatever's cheap in last year's model from whatever brand it happens to be. I suspect Dean is fine with not being the go-to brand for gimlet-eyed discount shoppers.

Huh? I picked up some Bridgestone B X's at $35 a dozen cause I needed some balls... That's more than a Snell ball, and is poor planning on my part. Snell makes a ball that competes with other top balls. They are consistently priced at $30ish a dozen. You can get Srixon for $20 a dozen during BOGO and most major places do a buy 3 get 4 that come out to $33.75 a dozen... but you either need to buy a ton of balls, or have 4 dozen last a season.

I think the Snell value model makes sense, and it's a great ball to boot. If money were no object, I'm not sure I'd switch away...

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also @Snell Golf the visors look great and I'll buy one as soon as I'm gainfully employed again...

• kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 8:06pm #4721

@titleistek said:

@kejoal11 said:

How come you did not like the MTB red?

It spun way too much for me off the driver and woods. Nothing like the MTB Black or now MTB-X.

In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

my son who just did a ball test-
    Subjective Observation -Pitch, Chip and Putt - Outdoors
    Data Driven -Full 60*, 7 Iron and driver. - Indoors on Trackman

He says the MTB-X was his favorite/best performing by a small margin over the Z-Star XV, then reg ProV1, The ProV1X which he has played a lot in the past was his worst performer, but we are not talking about large variances either.

FWIW

D:Titleist TS3 10.5* Speeder 757 Evolution TS
    3W/5W: Taylor Made RBZ Tour 14* & 18* Matrix Ozik 
    Irons: Mizuno HM 4-5/HMP 6-PW Recoil 95 
    Wedges: Wilson PMP 52*/56*/60*
    Ping Redwood Anser

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still think the ProV1x in yellow is my favorite ball, but Snell at their pricing makes it too hard to refuse. I do very much enjoy my MTB-X

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

I've been playing the Snell MTB-X since the early part of June. Today I decided to try the Bridgestone Tour B X just because they are on sale for $ 34.99 a dozen. I've played the Tour B RX in the past and really like it, but I switched to the MTB-X because it was longer distance wise. I have gotten a few balls that went left or right without explanation, but all in all, the MTB-X has been a really great ball.

I only played 9 holes with the Tour B X today but was pleasantly surprised. I didn't seem to lose any distance over the MTB-X. It felt a little different so it might take a few rounds to get used to that feel, but it was very comparable. This is a 9 hole course that I played on today and I've played it many, many times so I know how far I can hit off the driver and long irons. On one hole, I decided to hit an MTB-X in addition to the Tour B X that I was playing for the entire round. I just wanted to see how it compared distance wise. I hit the Tour B X a little left of the fairway so I didn't get much run out at all. I next hit the MTB-X and my playing partners thought I caught it a little better than the Tour B X. It landed in the fairway and ran what looked to be about 10 yards. When I got up to the Tour B X, I was really surprised to see that it was about 12 yards longer than the MTB-X.

I'm going to play another round with the Tour B X tomorrow and see it performs as well. BTW, the feel off the putter was very pleasant and it seemed to roll just a little further than the MTB-X when struck with the same force. Anyone else compared these two balls?

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

How would you guys rate or compare the spin and feel with wedges of the MTB X vs MTB black

@jjfcpa said:
    I've been playing the Snell MTB-X since the early part of June. Today I decided to try the Bridgestone Tour B X just because they are on sale for $ 34.99 a dozen. I've played the Tour B RX in the past and really like it, but I switched to the MTB-X because it was longer distance wise. I have gotten a few balls that went left or right without explanation, but all in all, the MTB-X has been a really great ball.

I only played 9 holes with the Tour B X today but was pleasantly surprised. I didn't seem to lose any distance over the MTB-X. It felt a little different so it might take a few rounds to get used to that feel, but it was very comparable. This is a 9 hole course that I played on today and I've played it many, many times so I know how far I can hit off the driver and long irons. On one hole, I decided to hit an MTB-X in addition to the Tour B X that I was playing for the entire round. I just wanted to see how it compared distance wise. I hit the Tour B X a little left of the fairway so I didn't get much run out at all. I next hit the MTB-X and my playing partners thought I caught it a little better than the Tour B X. It landed in the fairway and ran what looked to be about 10 yards. When I got up to the Tour B X, I was really surprised to see that it was about 12 yards longer than the MTB-X.

I'm going to play another round with the Tour B X tomorrow and see it performs as well. BTW, the feel off the putter was very pleasant and it seemed to roll just a little further than the MTB-X when struck with the same force. Anyone else compared these two balls?

I'm actually gaming the B X for a dozen for the same reason... I needed some balls and didn't want to wait for them to be shipped. I think I prefer the MTB Black to the B X... but I wasn't swinging great yesterday. I'm planning on playing two balls today on the front nine, so I will compare them directly (kindof... I'm playing one ball aggressively and one ball conservatively and seeing what works best on my home course).

I think my general overall conclusion is: Find a ball you like, and play it. All the balls perform differently, and it's less about finding the PERFECT golf ball than it is finding one that performs consistently on the course.

• monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

I played through a dozen of the Bridgestone Tour BX and Tour BXS, at the time, I previously played Snell Red for about 6 months.
    I thought the Tour BX and BXS were very close in performance/feel with the edge going to the Tour BX for me.
    Then I compared vs Snell MTB-X. In the end I decided on Snell MTB-X, but would not complain if I went with the Tour BX.
    Both had a similar feel / results off the putter. I felt the MTB-X was a bit longer off the tee and it checked up/spun a bit more than the Tour BX on approach shots. Cost was a few bucks less than the Bridgestones - but that was more of a bonus than a driving factor.
    These two are really good competitors IMO - can't go wrong with either.
    Been playing the MTB-X for about 5 months now and have zero complaints, really enjoying them.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

@monkeyboy said:

@jjfcpa said:

I played through a dozen of the Bridgestone Tour BX and Tour BXS, at the time, I previously played Snell Red for about 6 months.
    I thought the Tour BX and BXS were very close in performance/feel with the edge going to the Tour BX for me.
    Then I compared vs Snell MTB-X. In the end I decided on Snell MTB-X, but would not complain if I went with the Tour BX.
    Both had a similar feel / results off the putter. I felt the MTB-X was a bit longer off the tee and it checked up/spun a bit more than the Tour BX on approach shots. Cost was a few bucks less than the Bridgestones - but that was more of a bonus than a driving factor.
    These two are really good competitors IMO - can't go wrong with either.
    Been playing the MTB-X for about 5 months now and have zero complaints, really enjoying them.

Played a 2nd 9 holes with the Tour B X and I've decided that I will go back to the MTB-X. I don't think it is quite as long as the MTB-X and the previous comparison was an errant swing that left the MTB-X a little shorter. I think it comes down to feel off the wedges and irons. I really like the feeling I get when hitting the MTB-X compared to the B X. The B X is a much harsher feeling ball while the MTB-X just feels solid without feeling harsh. Putting is very close. Feel is pretty much the same and I could play with either one. Driver is about the same but the edge to the MTB-X using woods and hybrids. I could probably play the B X, but then why play a ball that is 2nd best. MTB-X is going back in the bag.

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@titleistek said:
    How would you guys rate or compare the spin and feel with wedges of the MTB X vs MTB black

Generally, MTB Black spins less but feels bit softer. Also, Black flies bit lower than X. If you need spin, you gotta go with X.

WWG1 WGA

@kejoal11 said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@kejoal11 said:

>
    If you must know. I am stationed in Japan for the next 3 years. US brands are hard to find here or outrageously priced. I chose to buy that many balls because one I can afford it and two was to ensure that I don’t run out of balls while I’m out here. I also like to hand a sleeve or two out to people that want to try them after they see what I play and are curious as to what a Snell ball is. Did my answer satisfy your question?

First of all, thank you for the service.

I figure you had to hoard balls when I noticed your location in your profile.

WWG1 WGA

Dean, is there any retail store selling MTB's in Southern Cal area?

WWG1 WGA
  • Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flushem said:
    Dean, is there any retail store selling MTB's in Southern Cal area?

I know Big 5 has bought product in the past.. not sure if they are still selling them or are sold out... amazon also in CA has bought some and ship prime in day or two.. we also have free two day express shipping to CA as well... there are a few stores in the LA area that also have bought in the past as well...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file