SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• AUDufferAUDuffer ClubWRX Posts: 2,922 ClubWRX
    Mine should be arriving this thursday in time for a round this weekend!
    10.5° PXG 0811LX Project X HC Evenflow 75X<br />15° PXG 0341 Fujikura 2.0 7X<br />19° PXG 0317 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S<br />4-6 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Oban CT-115 S-<br />7-9 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 46/50/54/58 Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 0117 x 2 (Night and Day)
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭
    I got my sample pack yesterday. I did chip and putt in the house with them. Noticed they were made in Korea (not that there's anything wrong with that per se).

I agree, the names look funny, <Get Sum> and <My Tour Ball> need to go soon.

Ok, so I did like the way they felt, nice soft feel. My Tour Ball was much like the ProV1

Here's what I found visually that I didn't like, that I hope they address:

Upon looking closely at the Get Sum balls, some of the smallest dimples, if you think of them as craters, as the surface of the crater comes to the top and should never rise above the surface of the ball, it does. So you can run a fingernail over it and it catches because it rises slightly above the O.D. of the ball.... not good.

I don't see this on the My Tour Ball, as the surface on it is remarkably better. However on both balls, you can pretty quickly find the equator line, where the two halves come together, which I also found interesting.

Still, I do like the feel, and am looking forward to trying them out on the course.

Perhaps the My Tour Ball should just be called Tour, and the Get Sum, well, maybe Ama-Tour?
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 844 ✭✭
    Got a notice mine were delivered today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test them this weekend, unless the temps will only be in the high 40s/low 50s. Then I'll wait for a warm up.
    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • LuvToGolfGuyLuvToGolfGuy Members Posts: 382 ✭✭
    I got my dozen yesterday. I must say, my attitude about the "look" of the ball, name and box has changed a bit.

It's really not that bad.
    Ping G30 LS Tour 65 Shaft
    Ping G 3 Wood
    Ping G 3 Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 4 hybrid
    Nike Covert 5,6,7 iron (PX 6.0)
    Nike VR_S 8-PW Blades (PX 6.0)
    Nike VR_S 52* & 56*
    Ping Glide 2.0 60*
    Nike Method 001 33"
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,579 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2015 #66
    Great ball here folks.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tmfool tmfool Members Posts: 1,828 ✭✭
    got shipping notification on 3/16 - and delivered 3/18
    TP MC 6-PW Steelfiber i95
    UDI 3-4-5 steelfiber i95
    Puglielli Black 52&56 s/fiber i125
    Adams XTD Superhybrid 17* s/fiber i110
    Superfast TP 13* Matrix HD7
    M2 9.5 (upright) Matrix 7M3
    SC Studio Select custom
    Snell MTB
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,366 ✭✭
    A person at my club grabbed a dozen of these (he's a 8hcp) and said the he really liked the ball overall especially for the price. His only complaint was he didn't feel he was getting his usual spin around the greens on chip shots the ball wanted to run out more. Overall he had positive things to say about them.
    Driver - TBD
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    Do they come in yellow?
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • kgkkgk Slapshot Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭

Here are my "my tour ball" initial thoughts. I played 9 with it on Friday.

Ball looks good. Dimple pattern seems oddly shallow. Graphics fine (contrary to golfwrx comments) and the ball was very durable. No wedge scuff marks, pretty much what you'd expect out of a modern ball.

Initial thoughts on feel were that it reminds me a lot of the 2004/2005 prov1. A friend's description was "clicky marshmallow" and I agree.

I was hitting a new driver so its hard to comment objectively on length, but I was pleased. Sound off the club was good, launch was good, spin looked good... it certainly got out there for me. Lots longer than the Zstar for me off my old driver.

Irons were another story for me. Its a club longer for me than the Zstars I have been playing.

Ball has good manners on the green. Things were soft and slow because of all the rain, but the ball really had some bite. It chips well (soft feeling) and it putts well.

Overall I think you should give this ball a try if you like softer, spinnier balls. I really liked it.

I am surprised by the lack of spin comment above.
  • kevina001kevina001 Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I ordered a dozen of the My Tour Snell balls and played one this past weekend. I usually play a Pro V1x.

In my opinion, the ball looks fine. I had no issues there. However, I did find that the lettering printed on the ball seems to wear off much more easily than most balls, like it was rubbing or chipping off the ball. By the end of the round, some of the lettering was missing. Not a huge deal, but it was noticeable.

Also, I thought the ball had a firmer feel than the Pro V1x. Not sure how much that had to do with the weather, which was a little cooler than it is in my typical round. But I think the ball is not as soft as the Pro V1x.

It was hard to judge the spin, as the greens were slow and pretty damp. Can't really comment on that at all due to the conditions. My guess, based mostly on the feel, is that the ball doesn't spin as much as the Pro V1x.

I'll keep playing the dozen until I find a reason to stop. I doubt it knocks the Pro V1x off as my preferred ball, but I'll give it a chance.
    edited Mar 23, 2015 #72
    kgk wrote:

Here are my "my tour ball" initial thoughts. I played 9 with it on Friday.

Ball looks good. Dimple pattern seems oddly shallow. Graphics fine (contrary to golfwrx comments) and the ball was very durable. No wedge scuff marks, pretty much what you'd expect out of a modern ball.

Initial thoughts on feel were that it reminds me a lot of the 2004/2005 prov1. A friend's description was "clicky marshmallow" and I agree.

I was hitting a new driver so its hard to comment objectively on length, but I was pleased. Sound off the club was good, launch was good, spin looked good... it certainly got out there for me. Lots longer than the Zstar for me off my old driver.

Irons were another story for me. Its a club longer for me than the Zstars I have been playing.

Ball has good manners on the green. Things were soft and slow because of all the rain, but the ball really had some bite. It chips well (soft feeling) and it putts well.

Overall I think you should give this ball a try if you like softer, spinnier balls. I really liked it.

I am surprised by the lack of spin comment above.

I usually play ProV1 or Tour Preferred (last year). I played 15 1/2 holes on Saturday in windy, sub 60 temperatures on soft greens and my thoughts were similar. I liked the feel, the ball seemed to fly really well, both with irons, hybrids and woods and I liked it off the putter. It seemed durable with the exception of the "Snell" paint beginning to rub off. I gave a sleeve to a fried who plays ProV1s to try. And I'll definitely try them again next time I'm on the course to see if I can do a side by side with some ProVs. But my first impression is a favorable one.
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • kgkkgk Slapshot Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    I played 18 again today with the Snell. Again, more favorable impressions. I really like it off the wedges & putter, and it's good at everything else too as far as I can tell.
    Same positives as everyone else; really liking this ball other than the graphics rubbing off, but I think it's a solid offering.
    10.5° PXG 0811LX Project X HC Evenflow 75X<br />15° PXG 0341 Fujikura 2.0 7X<br />19° PXG 0317 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S<br />4-6 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Oban CT-115 S-<br />7-9 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 46/50/54/58 Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 0117 x 2 (Night and Day)
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2015 #75
    And yet, no pics...
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
    My dozen arrived today. I see nothing wrong with the name, graphics or paint. Looks like good quality. I'll play them this week and report my findings.
  • LuvToGolfGuyLuvToGolfGuy Members Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Ping G30 LS Tour 65 Shaft
    Ping G 3 Wood
    Ping G 3 Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 4 hybrid
    Nike Covert 5,6,7 iron (PX 6.0)
    Nike VR_S 8-PW Blades (PX 6.0)
    Nike VR_S 52* & 56*
    Ping Glide 2.0 60*
    Nike Method 001 33"
  • Gauchograd99Gauchograd99 Members Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    Anyone take a pic of the name getting rubbed off the ball? How bad is it getting? Is it like when you mark your ball with a Sharpie and the color fades and fades, or is it like the name is chipping off in bits and pieces of paint (flaking)?

Technically, I would almost view this as a point of pride for some. "I'm hitting the ball so flush I am taking the paint off the cover." Well, unless you are hitting everything fat or thin that day at least.
    Razr-FIT Ext. 8.5deg, Black Tie (S)
    XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
    TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
    Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
    Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
    Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
    http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23

Anyone take a pic of the name getting rubbed off the ball? How bad is it getting? Is it like when you mark your ball with a Sharpie and the color fades and fades, or is it like the name is chipping off in bits and pieces of paint (flaking)?

Technically, I would almost view this as a point of pride for some. "I'm hitting the ball so flush I am taking the paint off the cover." Well, unless you are hitting everything fat or thin that day at least.

It's more like rubbing off than chipping or flaking.
  • venturagolfer87venturagolfer87 Golfing is harder with a fro. Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭
    Kind of funny how initial comments were of how bad the text on the ball looked, now there's concern because it's coming off haha. I am very curious to try these balls, but as of now, I am a Chrome Soft junkie, and refuse to try anything else, as I haven't been playing this well since, ever. I may go for the sample pack and give some of the get sum balls to my dad to try.
    WITB 2018
    - F8+ 10.5*, Kuro Kage Silver DC TiNi 60
    -2017 M2 3HL, Rulz Type A 70
    -MP H5 2 iron, PX 6.0
    -F6+ Hybrid, S+ 80
    -MP-18 MMC 5-PW, PX 6.0
    -50/54 SM6 Jet Black
    -58 RTX4 Mid Raw
    -Rife Iconic Vault 1
    -Cut Blue
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭
    cristphoto wrote:

They tested pretty on the site (this site wouldn't let me post a link). I agree with previous comments - the graphics and the name are hideous and need to be changed quickly. I'm picky enough to not want to try it for those reasons alone.

Graphics shouldn't play a role in ball selection, but like you I can't help noticing it. I didn't use the old Wilson FG Tour cause I thought the graphics looked cheap. For some reason Wilson didn't use the Wilson Staff logo on those balls, which made them look cheaper than their cheap balls. First thing I noticed about Snell balls was the graphics, which are not good.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,366 ✭✭
    Agree you have to like what ur looking at.
    Driver - TBD
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • jjrjjr Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    I agree, but you shouldn't be looking at it that long! Waiting for mine, if it performs, I don't really care what the text looks like, as long as it stays on the ball for identification purposes.

I won't need to mark it until the brand (if it does, takes off)
  • SixtyAnythingSixtyAnything York, PAMembers Posts: 476 ✭✭
    I loved my first round with the ball. Unbelievable spin around the greens and short irons.

Here is my review http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1155569-my-first-review-is-my-tour-ball-snell-golf/
    In my Sun Mountain Tour Series: ARCOSS setup
    G400 LST ATMOS blue
    Exotics EX-10 beta (firmly in bag)
    Titleist 816 17* (up 1) speeder tour spec 8.3 (probably need to switch to 19* soon)
    PXG 0311t 4-9 PX LZ 6.0
    RTX4 raw 46,50,54,60
    Cameron select 2.5
    AVX/ProV1
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
    I played 9 holes with one last night. The only problem is that the greens have been plugged so it is hard to tell about putting and spin around the greens. Everything was just stopping in it's tracks. It is very long off the tee and irons shots feel solid. Little effect from the wind. I'll play with it again tomorrow in my regular game and see how it does. No issue with the graphics or with the lettering coming off. So far I am impressed.
  • countach711countach711 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited Mar 27, 2015 #86
    Had to chime in on this. With four holes left to go today, a gentleman in my group handed me a Snell and told me to give it a try. I had noticed him playing it eariler and told him about the review on another golf 'spy' site (it went 6 yards further than the Pro V1x and was their top pick). Anyway, I hit 4 wood off the tee and put it out there a good distance, probably my best of the day. My approach hits the green and holds. Next hole I honestly put it about 20 yards further than I have ever on this particular uphill hole with my driver. My 8-iron approach goes about 10 yards further than normal but lands on the green. Putts about the same as my usual Wilson Duo, very soft feel. Next hole is up then down, I hit a low drive that barely clears the hill and puts me again about 20 yards further than ever. No doubt I will be switching to this ball. When he gave it to me I thought it was brand new but he said he had already played it about 4 holes. I didn't get to test it chipping cause I hit all the greens but that's not really a problem! ;-) Wasn't affected much by the wind either. It was slighly the worse for wear after I got done with it but it was just cosmetics, I will easily keep playing this particular ball. Nice crisp sound to it as well. If you are not one of those people that just HAS to play the Pro V, you owe it to yourself to give this ball a try. It is going to be BIG once the word gets out. Now I wonder if I can buy stock in Snell?
  • roverdog99roverdog99 Members Posts: 31
    Compared ProV1X with Snell tour ball. Similar in driver distance and irons are longer with the the Snell. It is my new gamer. Softer with better feel than the prov1x. Knowing that Snell has designed balls for a long time, i broke out the shag bag to see if the dimples and patterns are similar to any other balls. Turns out the TP Red is very similar. TP Red was my favorite and never eent back to TM once it stopped production. I believe Snell has a great ball on their hands.
  • heiman5heiman5 Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Thanks for the various reviews, time to give this one a try!
    Update: I played the MTB yesterday. With my new Mizuno 850 driver I was outdriving two guys that in the past were regularly longer than me. The ball stays in the air nicely off the tee. With my irons it felt as soft as the ProV1 I usually play, but instead of spinning backward it hit and stopped for the most part. Distance was as good if not better. Putted soft. So far, no complaints. I'll order another dozen to play as the weather continues to get better, but so far it seems to be playing as advertised.
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • AjlepistoAjlepisto Members Posts: 2,358
    At least my criticism of the name was just the actual wording...not the graphics so much. I just didn't, and still don't, like the model name.

Not huge on the logo either, but that's okay. And yea, it's just a ball. But it sounds a little cheap, is all I think a lot of us were saying.

And I think we know that doesn't correlate to performance.