Anything close to 2012 XV?

sabo31sabo31 Members Posts: 61
Has anyone found a ball that is at least comparable to the 2012 XV??
Ping G2 10* (yes I still play a G2)
Ping G20 3W
Titleist 980F 19* 5W
Titleist 909H 24* 4 Hybrid
Ping I15 5-PW
Callaway X Forged 52* NikeVR Pro 56*

Comments

  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you looking for FROM the 2012 XV?



    I use to be a big user supporter of the 12 XVs and hated it when Srixon went to Spinskins....based on the reports of slightly higher spins in the driver and lesser durability...but, I was WRONG and even stocked up on the 2014 XVs.



    So far, I still love the 14s, knocked out my Lethal balls thus far.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • abel88abel88 Members Posts: 86
    tour b330 from brigdestone !!! great ball
  • sabo31sabo31 Members Posts: 61
    SwingBlues wrote:


    What are you looking for FROM the 2012 XV?



    I use to be a big user supporter of the 12 XVs and hated it when Srixon went to Spinskins....based on the reports of slightly higher spins in the driver and lesser durability...but, I was WRONG and even stocked up on the 2014 XVs.



    So far, I still love the 14s, knocked out my Lethal balls thus far.




    I have been hearing that the spin skin increased the driver spin as well. I really loved the '12 version for the low driver spin, piercing ball flight and they never felt too hard even on mishits. But maybe I will just have to get a sleeve and try them out. I get a ton of spin on my wedges and short irons so that ball was perfect for me.



    Since I generate a ton of spin with short iron with my swing (steep) I was also contemplating trying out the Q Star. I don't play championship style courses and mostly play weekends and fundraising scramble type tournaments.
    Ping G2 10* (yes I still play a G2)
    Ping G20 3W
    Titleist 980F 19* 5W
    Titleist 909H 24* 4 Hybrid
    Ping I15 5-PW
    Callaway X Forged 52* NikeVR Pro 56*
  • ribeye26ribeye26 Members Posts: 309
    abel88 wrote:


    tour b330 from brigdestone !!! great ball


    This. I switched to the B330, didn't like the XV with spin skin. Been playing B330 since early 2014 and haven't looked back.
  • bigstingbigsting Members Posts: 92
    Surprised you don't like the new XV, I find it a great ball, for half the price of the pro v1x. The only other ball that I will play (besides xv and pro v1x) is the chrome +. why don't you give the chrome + a try, i think that would be similar to the pre-spinskin XVs.
  • sabo31sabo31 Members Posts: 61
    bigsting wrote:


    Surprised you don't like the new XV, I find it a great ball, for half the price of the pro v1x. The only other ball that I will play (besides xv and pro v1x) is the chrome +. why don't you give the chrome + a try, i think that would be similar to the pre-spinskin XVs.




    I tried chrome + and did not like it. It felt too harsh of the irons for my liking. Since I generate a ton of spin anyway I may just try the q star.
    Ping G2 10* (yes I still play a G2)
    Ping G20 3W
    Titleist 980F 19* 5W
    Titleist 909H 24* 4 Hybrid
    Ping I15 5-PW
    Callaway X Forged 52* NikeVR Pro 56*
  • highdraw69highdraw69 Members Posts: 1,783
    as noted above b330 will be closest to what you are looking for I think
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt the same way when spin skin was introduced. I moved to the Lethal ball and now the TPx. The 2012 XV was an excellent iteration. I miss it
  • sabo31sabo31 Members Posts: 61
    Why do some companies change a good thing? If it works LEAVE IT ALONE!! At least that's my thoughts 😃
    Ping G2 10* (yes I still play a G2)
    Ping G20 3W
    Titleist 980F 19* 5W
    Titleist 909H 24* 4 Hybrid
    Ping I15 5-PW
    Callaway X Forged 52* NikeVR Pro 56*
  • bigstingbigsting Members Posts: 92
    sabo31 wrote:

    bigsting wrote:


    Surprised you don't like the new XV, I find it a great ball, for half the price of the pro v1x. The only other ball that I will play (besides xv and pro v1x) is the chrome +. why don't you give the chrome + a try, i think that would be similar to the pre-spinskin XVs.




    I tried chrome + and did not like it. It felt too harsh of the irons for my liking. Since I generate a ton of spin anyway I may just try the q star.


    Yeah that might work. I like the q star on the driver/irons & putter, but for me I just didn't generate enough greenside spin, if you generate too much spin with other balls, then the q star may be ideal.
  • SnipermanSniperman Members Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sabo like you I didn't like the addition of the Spin skin. I had no problem stopping the pre spin skin with wedges or short irons, so sodnt care much for the new cover helping with spin around the greens. I love everything about the XV so I continued to play despite the change in cover



    I had a chance to try the new model and WOW what a difference off the big sticks! There seems to be lower spin off the tee and I noticed a tad less spin off short irons and wedges. Give the new models a try



    One other ball I would suggest is the TM TPx
    M2 Atmos Black

    M2 Speeder

    Ping G Tensei Blue

    p790 Modus 130

    O-Works Red 7s
    Z Star XV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file