ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Best lightweight stand bag

BulldogdocBulldogdoc BulldogdocAdvanced Members Posts: 375
I've had my Sun Mountain lightweight stand bag for over 10 years. It's worn out. I change clubs often, but not my bag.



Any suggestions on light weight stand bags? I don't like a bulky bag and I don't really care for a bunch of dividers. I've looked around and I am considering the Titleist 2015 Ultra lightweight stand bag. Not married to it, of course.



I prefer a red, white, and blue golf bag, but Titleist doesn't offer that color combo in that bag. I've always had a red, white, and blue combo and any suggestions would be appreciated.



Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Comments

  • CyFan CyFan If I could putt, I could play this game... Advanced Members Posts: 619
    Stay with Sun Mountain, can't be beat. The Titleist bags are very similar, but much heavier. I have a Titliest LIghtweight, but replaced it with a 3.5. Same basic bad but 1.5 pound difference.
    Titleist 917D3 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
    Ping i20 20 TFC 707H S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 DG
    Scotty Newport 2.7, Odyssey Metal X Milled 9ht, Ping Vault Arna
  • GreenieGreenie Advanced Members Posts: 3,505 ✭✭
    My vote still goes to Sun Mountain. Four 5 if you like the 14 way dividers or the Three 5 if you don't.
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Advanced Members Posts: 1,455
    Greenie wrote:


    My vote still goes to Sun Mountain. Four 5 if you like the 14 way dividers or the Three 5 if you don't.


    This.
  • BulldogdocBulldogdoc Bulldogdoc Advanced Members Posts: 375
    Thanks!
  • troysmithtroysmith Advanced Members Posts: 264
    I went to get a new bag yesterday..



    The Titleist lightweight one was great but was actually heavier than it used to be. The sun mountain 4.5 is nice but way to loud. I dont know why sm loves throwing up logos everywhere.



    The surprise was the Nike Hybrid bag - 14 way top. it was flipping amazing. Bought a grey one and love it.



    The titleist 14 way was way to big and heavy. Nothing from ogio looked good. Taylor made had a nice one but I didn't like the colors
  • noGIRsnoGIRs Members Posts: 354
    I have a Nike Sport carry and had the sport lite (won as a prize). I kept the sport because I like a few more dividers but the sport lite was nice and light, under 4 pounds.



    http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30099200/nike-sport-lite-carry-bag
    PING G30 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
    Nike Covert Tour 5W
    Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI #2 Iron
    Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-A Irons
    Titleist Vokey SM4 56*; Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60*
    Odyssey Big T V-Line putter
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Advanced Members Posts: 6,800
    Looking at SM Front 9 ... lighter than 3.5, lose 1 inch in diameter in the bag.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • longleftlongleft Advanced Members Posts: 777
    The Titleist ultra lightweight bag is a terrific carry bag that is just as effective when strapped to a cart. The size is perfect: not too small, and not a cart bag masquerading as a carry bag (like the four5, hybrid, Titleist lightweights/14 ways).



    Mine weighs just under 4 lbs empty with the straps.



    You can also get the ultra lightweight with a single strap in addition to the double strap if you request it when ordering.



  • titan_90titan_90 Members Posts: 72
    I bought the 2012 SM Swift x with a 2 way top, on clearnce last July. I usally use my SM C130 as I ride a part of the time. If you can find the Swift X on sale somewhere I would highly reccomend it. Nicely made and light, I thought I would hate the two way top but it works great. I also had a Ping Hoofer in the past and hated the thing. It was made very well but hated the grip tangle nightmare. The Swift has way less grip tangle then the Hoofer. So I don't get the sudden desire to throw the bag in a lake. Looks like SM replaced it with the Front Nine. I haven't seen one in person to know what the differences are as SM's website needs more and better pictures of their products.
    Ping G25 10.5* Stock Stiff
    Ping G25 4 Wood Stock Stiff
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
    Mizuno MP-52 4-6, MP-62 7-PW, DG S300
    Titleist SM5 50/12/F, 54/14/F, 58/7/S
    Ping Greyhawk TR
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Puma Formstripe. Just replaced my SM three 5 2015 which I thought had some major flaws. Like um the water bottle pocket is too small. Curved pockets produce zippers that dont really work that well, especially when the one doing the zippering has to slow down around the curve of the pocket. Just a really stupid design, that I could see becoming a problem down the road. The handle on the bag is very stiff and rubs on my back when I was carrying it. If it would have been made softer like it should have this would have not been an issue. Plus no putter well? on a 190$ bag??? No thanks. the only good thing about the new SM 3 5 is that they made the top wider.



    Yea the SM website sucks with the pictures. Which is incredible to me. Kinda of think they are just lazy industry leaders who dont really have to do much and still sell a ton of bags...
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Advanced Members Posts: 6,800
    vwgolfer wrote:


    Puma Formstripe. Just replaced my SM three 5 2015 which I thought had some major flaws. Like um the water bottle pocket is too small. Curved pockets produce zippers that dont really work that well, especially when the one doing the zippering has to slow down around the curve of the pocket. Just a really stupid design, that I could see becoming a problem down the road. The handle on the bag is very stiff and rubs on my back when I was carrying it. If it would have been made softer like it should have this would have not been an issue. Plus no putter well? on a 190$ bag??? No thanks. the only good thing about the new SM 3 5 is that they made the top wider.



    Yea the SM website sucks with the pictures. Which is incredible to me. Kinda of think they are just lazy industry leaders who dont really have to do much and still sell a ton of bags...




    Putter well? This is a thread about a lightweight bag.



    Putter wells add weight.



    Oh, well, no one can please everyone.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    SwingMan wrote:

    vwgolfer wrote:


    Puma Formstripe. Just replaced my SM three 5 2015 which I thought had some major flaws. Like um the water bottle pocket is too small. Curved pockets produce zippers that dont really work that well, especially when the one doing the zippering has to slow down around the curve of the pocket. Just a really stupid design, that I could see becoming a problem down the road. The handle on the bag is very stiff and rubs on my back when I was carrying it. If it would have been made softer like it should have this would have not been an issue. Plus no putter well? on a 190$ bag??? No thanks. the only good thing about the new SM 3 5 is that they made the top wider.



    Yea the SM website sucks with the pictures. Which is incredible to me. Kinda of think they are just lazy industry leaders who dont really have to do much and still sell a ton of bags...




    Putter well? This is a thread about a lightweight bag.









    Putter wells add weight.



    Oh, well, no one can please everyone.






    The puma bag weighs 4.5 lbs. is that light weight enough for you? Do your homework, you get a F.
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Advanced Members Posts: 6,800
    edited March 2015
    vwgolfer wrote:

    SwingMan wrote:

    vwgolfer wrote:


    Puma Formstripe. Just replaced my SM three 5 2015 which I thought had some major flaws. Like um the water bottle pocket is too small. Curved pockets produce zippers that dont really work that well, especially when the one doing the zippering has to slow down around the curve of the pocket. Just a really stupid design, that I could see becoming a problem down the road. The handle on the bag is very stiff and rubs on my back when I was carrying it. If it would have been made softer like it should have this would have not been an issue. Plus no putter well? on a 190$ bag??? No thanks. the only good thing about the new SM 3 5 is that they made the top wider.



    Yea the SM website sucks with the pictures. Which is incredible to me. Kinda of think they are just lazy industry leaders who dont really have to do much and still sell a ton of bags...




    Putter well? This is a thread about a lightweight bag.









    Putter wells add weight.



    Oh, well, no one can please everyone.






    The puma bag weighs 4.5 lbs. is that light weight enough for you? Do your homework, you get a F.




    lol.



    No, 4.5 lbs is not my preferred carry. I want to carry with something less than 4 lbs. And I do not like to carry an OEM bag as I think it tends to attract attention. If I must carry a 4.5 lb or more bag, it would have a belt like the SM ZG to take weight off the shoulders.



    Looking forward to seeing the SM 2.5. I think the issues are the lighter the bag, the lesser its durability. It's a balance.



    But you could try on a new attitude. You get more conversation and more feedback.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • Joebirds55Joebirds55 Advanced Members Posts: 1,091
    I just ordered a SM 3.5 from discount dans a few days ago. Def excited for it. Felt the price for it was solid compared to what I've seen elsewhere.



    *not adding much to this thread....
  • Marshawn LynchMarshawn Lynch Advanced Members Posts: 397
    anyone else with the ultra lightweight bag?
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Advanced Members Posts: 6,800
    edited June 2015


    anyone else with the ultra lightweight bag?




    I've carried around a 2015 Front Nine Bag recently ... it is and does feel lighter than the 3.5 -- a change one can believe in ... lol.



    When I first loaded it up, I had misgivings. 8.5 diameter with the wider top - didn't think it would work. Got it outside the house and it was okay - clubs will stick a tad, and it's not the easiest find - not as many dividers - I redistribute more to the top divider. But it sticks tight to the back so it feels lighter, they have a finger pocket below the ball pocket in which your hand falls naturally when you carry to keep the bag at your angle, the water bottle pocket is good if not insulated (weight saving). Will carry an umbrella if necessary ...



    Excellent walking bag as long as you're not too picky about some stickiness. I mean, it's a lightweight bag and you must balance weight versus space and dividers.



    I use a 2013 SM 3.5 as my cart bag.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
Sign In or Register to comment.