Veylix Rome versus Arcane

rtraudt

I recently picked up a Veylix Rome 688x on a whim as, like most of you, I'm never quite satisfied with my current setup. Although it's the middle of winter here in Wisconsin and I don't have any on course results (the ones that actually matter, I know), I'm already blown away by the shaft. I'm a big fan of low/low shafts because I have a quick, aggressive swing born from hockey roots that simply doesn't jive with the high-launch, smooth shafts of the world. I usually turn to a slightly higher lofted head to get what I need in terms of launch (it's going to have a chance in both a SLDR 12 and Bombtech Grenade 10.5 head when it warms up). That being said, I love a smooth feel...and it can be hard to find sometimes with the profile I like. I was gaming a TP6HD in stiff flex towards the end of the season and thought I had found my holy grail, but then winter set in and, like most, the bag turnover begins.

The Rome, since the moment I took the first swing, has been a revelation. Smoothest low/low shaft I've ever hit (even moreso than the TPHD and that's despite it being a flex stronger), and I've never found the center of the clubface more consistently (and that's with the far from grooved swing of a mid-winter Midwesterner). I don't have numbers yet, obviously, but on feel and consistency (and knowing how to read the ballflight in my dome), I can tell this is going to be a winner...

...that being said, I have two questions:

1. Why on earth doesn't the Rome get more love on this site?

2. How does the Arcane compare to the Rome? Obviously I'm drawn by the beautiful look of the liquid crystal and the changing appearance in the sunlight, but when it's not acting as a beautiful stick of graphite to drool over how does it perform in a driver? How does the launch/spin profile compare to that of the Rome?

Hopefully someone around here has hit both and can provide some feedback!

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, I share your same love of the Rome. I actually just picked up a Roughneck to test because I love the shaft family so much. The Arcane is not a low/low shaft by comparison, rather it would be a mid/low. Incredibly stable because of the liquid crystal application. Typically, the Veylix shafts go Alpina-Arcane-Roughneck-Rome from highest launch and spin to lowest, and I have found this to be the case. That being said, all are so stable. My numbers with my Rome are perfect, Arcane is a bit high on the launch for me. I have it in a 10* SLDR JDM.

As far as love on the site, I think it is most likely because not many guys have tried them. They don't come as options for any major OEM, and aren't incredibly available. But, that being said, everyone who gets the chance should swing a few. They perform as beautifully as they look, for sure.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Green "Hulk" 70-6.5TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 18* Ventus Black TR 8X

Srixon ZX7 3-PW DG TI X100

Callaway MD5 Raw 50.S & 54.X KBS 610, Vokey SM9 Raw 60.04T DG TI X100
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Victory41' timestamp='1423628493' post='10929451']
Hey man, I share your same love of the Rome. I actually just picked up a Roughneck to test because I love the shaft family so much. The Arcane is not a low/low shaft by comparison, rather it would be a mid/low. Incredibly stable because of the liquid crystal application. Typically, the Veylix shafts go Alpina-Arcane-Roughneck-Rome from highest launch and spin to lowest, and I have found this to be the case. That being said, all are so stable. My numbers with my Rome are perfect, Arcane is a bit high on the launch for me. I have it in a 10* SLDR JDM.

As far as love on the site, I think it is most likely because not many guys have tried them. They don't come as options for any major OEM, and aren't incredibly available. But, that being said, everyone who gets the chance should swing a few. They perform as beautifully as they look, for sure.
[/quote]

How much of an increase in spin did you see from the Rome to the Arcane?

And I agree with your assessment of why they don't get enough love... I really wish more people had the chance to try these things.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been convinced to try these shafts. I ordered a Rome wildeye 688 and Rome 888. I will try the 688 in my jpx 850 driver to see if I can get the spin below 2500. If that doesn't work I'm sure the 888 will. If it does lower my spin enough I'll just throw a 915f tip on the 888 for my 3 wood. I'm really hoping these shafts perform as well for me as others are saying. They are some really awesome looking shafts!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

[quote name='jetmech879' timestamp='1424830942' post='11022761']
I have just been convinced to try these shafts. I ordered a Rome wildeye 688 and Rome 888. I will try the 688 in my jpx 850 driver to see if I can get the spin below 2500. If that doesn't work I'm sure the 888 will. If it does lower my spin enough I'll just throw a 915f tip on the 888 for my 3 wood. I'm really hoping these shafts perform as well for me as others are saying. They are some really awesome looking shafts!
[/quote]

These have me interested as well. Where and how much are you getting them for?

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[email protected]. it is a small company out of Shelby, nc. Shoot him a email and he will hook you up! Tell him jetmech sent ya. I ordered 2 Rome shafts at once and got a hell of a deal.

[quote name='jetmech879' timestamp='1424830942' post='11022761']
[/quote] the rome knocks a ton of spin off. i have no doubt you'll get below 2500. i'm a high spin player and it got me below 2100.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Awesome @jetmech. Thanks buddy!

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I am so excited to try these shafts! Im probably going to get a arcane to snd tip it a inch just because it looks Bada$$!!!

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1424871711' post='11024871']
Awesome @jetmech. Thanks buddy!
[/quote]

You bet brother! His best deals are on the x flex shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested both today on Flightscope and went with the Arcane. The were both very similar in performance with regards to spin, stability, feel, and dispersion. The Arcane launched a few degrees higher, which was what I was looking for. This was performed with a Bio Cell Plus head at 9.5 degrees. The Rome 688 launched at 12.5 degrees on average, and the Arcane launched at 15 degrees. I much prefer the higher launch angle. The Arcane felt slightly better/smoother, but very hard to distinguish as they both outperform most other shafts I have tried over the years. They both outperformed my UST Elements Chrome 6F4T shaft in pretty much every category. I love the look of the Arcane, so the look and launch angle tipped things in favor of the Arcane; otherwise, it was pretty much a wash. I come from a long line of high end shafts, and have pretty much tried them all. I have 4 Japanese high end shafts that are more expensive than the Arcane. I can say that these Veylix shafts are as good as any other company out there, regardless of cost. I have an Alpina in my SLDR 430 head, and I just put a 888 Rome in my Callaway 3Deep. I can't wait to get the Rome and Arcane out on the course. Now I am thinking of selling my 2 UST Chrome shafts.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1426026645' post='11117461']
I just tested both today on Flightscope and went with the Arcane. The were both very similar in performance with regards to spin, stability, feel, and dispersion. The Arcane launched a few degrees higher, which was what I was looking for. This was performed with a Bio Cell Plus head at 9.5 degrees. The Rome 688 launched at 12.5 degrees on average, and the Arcane launched at 15 degrees. I much prefer the higher launch angle. The Arcane felt slightly better/smoother, but very hard to distinguish as they both outperform most other shafts I have tried over the years. They both outperformed my UST Elements Chrome 6F4T shaft in pretty much every category. I love the look of the Arcane, so the look and launch angle tipped things in favor of the Arcane; otherwise, it was pretty much a wash. I come from a long line of high end shafts, and have pretty much tried them all. I have 4 Japanese high end shafts that are more expensive than the Arcane. I can say that these Veylix shafts are as good as any other company out there, regardless of cost. I have an Alpina in my SLDR 430 head, and I just put a 888 Rome in my Callaway 3Deep. I can't wait to get the Rome and Arcane out on the course. Now I am thinking of selling my 2 UST Chrome shafts.
[/quote]

What is your swing speed and tempo and what flex did you use in the Veylix shafts? Curious to try one out.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0 Tour AD-GP 6x
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5 Tour AD-TP 7X 
Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5 Tour AD-HD 8x
Tee CB Pro U 21 Tour AD DI 95x
Cobra King Forged Irons 5-G Nippon Modus 130 S
Cobra King Versatile 56* 60* Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Kingston KP001 GSS

My swing speed is typically around 105 mph, although today it was 98 mph. It's been a long off season. I have been told that I have a smooth swing but with power behind it (whatever that means). I tried both in the stiff flex. I also tried the Rome in the X flex. If you want to know more about this shafts, PM Tony Rhode as he is somewhat of an expert on Veylix and Accra shafts. He can help fit you. I typically at a stiff flex in most shafts, occasionally an X flex if it is on the soft end of the spectrum like a Fubuki shaft.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

I'm right around the same ballpark in the 105 area. How did the stuff vs the x feel? Was the x a little too demanding?

Kingston KP001 GSS

[quote name='Kalicardplayer28' timestamp='1426042438' post='11119163']
I'm right around the same ballpark in the 105 area. How did the stuff vs the x feel? Was the x a little too demanding?
[/quote]

It may have felt a touch more demanding, but keep in mind my swing speed today was 98 mph. 105 mph can go either x or stiff, whichever you prefer.

LEFT HANDED

Just thought I would share some interesting pictures of my Veylix Arcane shaft indoors, then outdoors. Very cool to see how the finish changes color when exposed to UV light.

[attachment=2662569:IMG_5703.jpg][attachment=2662579:IMG_5716.jpg][attachment=2662581:IMG_5704.jpg][attachment=2662583:IMG_5715.jpg][attachment=2662587:IMG_5705.jpg][attachment=2662591:IMG_5717.jpg]

LEFT HANDED

Darn it I just may have to get this shaft!!! I just need to sell some tour ad shafts first!

• 4 weeks later...

Just played two rounds with the Arcane, and I am still loving this shaft. It has a very smooth feel while feeling stable as well. It has a penetrating mid trajectory flight. I am not getting any roll because our fairways are soaked, so it is hard to gauge distances. My misses were much better than usual, and my good strikes felt and looked great. I have a Aldila 125 msi rogue coming, but honestly, I have hit this so well the past two days, that the Rogue may stay in the closet until the Arcane starts to fail. I have been wanting a Rogue, since they came out; now, I am less likely to put it in play, at least until I get them both out on the range and test them side by side. It will be hard for the Rogue to win if I keep swinging the Arcane the way I am.

LEFT HANDED

So I picked up an Arcane stiff about a month ago with a G30 tip on it used off the bay. I really wanted to try one because of all the hype. Take it to my local golf store and hook it up to a G30 head and after about 10 swings the shaft snaps at the tip. My buddy at the store is a legit club builder tips it another inch so we don't run into any more problems and throws a inch and 1/2 adapter in the butt and I was thinking this thing will be hard to get in the air and will probably be too stout for me. I ended up throwing it on my trusty old ZL Encore that I usually spin about 3000+ rpms on average but find a ton of fairways with. Get on the Flightscope with the new setup and I am spinning around 16-1800 rpm and mid 2000 on bad swings. I have tried about every shaft with this head and had some success but could never really get the spin down. I have been shredding the courses off the tee but then the rest of my game has been a crap shoot. This shaft is super stable obviously being tipped 2 inches but I can't believe how easy it is to load and how smooth it is. I feel like I am cheating right now with this setup because it goes long and straight.

How is the Rome in relation to the arcane? I picked up a 688x Wildeye and was looking to put it straight in on a fly z +? Does it have a stiffer tip and mid?

Kingston KP001 GSS

I've played my Arcane for about 3 rounds so far. I am impressed. Very smooth shaft, low spin, mid launch, great feel. When I hit it vs. the Rome on the launch monitor, the feel was very similar; the only difference I noticed was the Rome launched about 2 degrees lower for me and is fade biased. I bought a Rogue 125 msi, and now have the 2 shafts to play in the same head. They both seem to feel and play similarly from what I can tell. It is going to be very hard to choose between these two. I am going to play a few rounds with each of them and see if I can determine which one I prefer.

LEFT HANDED

I'm contemplating even messing with the Rome because the Arcane/Encore setup is that good. I wanted to get a Wildeye though and the one I received is pretty cool mostly blue with a little purple. The tough thing about the Arcane is the color change is very minimal as the shaft must have been used a lot or left out in the sun. I spoke with a Veylix rep and they stated that there is usually a two year life expectancy on the color change depending on how much it's out in the sun. I have gotten over that with the performance of the shaft as that is just an added benefit.

Kingston KP001 GSS

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1429146874' post='11369573']
I've played my Arcane for about 3 rounds so far. I am impressed. Very smooth shaft, low spin, mid launch, great feel. When I hit it vs. the Rome on the launch monitor, the feel was very similar; the only difference I noticed was the Rome launched about 2 degrees lower for me and is fade biased. I bought a Rogue 125 msi, and now have the 2 shafts to play in the same head. They both seem to feel and play similarly from what I can tell. It is going to be very hard to choose between these two. I am going to play a few rounds with each of them and see if I can determine which one I prefer.
[/quote]
Will be really keen to hear how you rate Em both .
I'm thinking of grabbing myself an Arcane .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1429189313' post='11372137']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am playing Saturday. I will take the Arcane out that day and let you know my impressions. My swing, while still slow, is starting to get alittle better. A lot of rust from the offseason apparently.

LEFT HANDED

So, I've read that the Rome is fade biased and the Roughneck is draw biased. Would the Arcane be in between those two?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1429195316' post='11372925']
So, I've read that the Rome is fade biased and the Roughneck is draw biased. Would the Arcane be in between those two?
[/quote]

That is my impression; I do not notice a particular bias with the Arcane, but perhaps Tony Rhode can chime in on this?

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1429195398' post='11372939']
[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1429195316' post='11372925']
[/quote]

That is my impression; I do not notice a particular bias with the Arcane, but perhaps Tony Rhode can chime in on this?
[/quote]

Yes, I would consider the Arcane series to be a "straight" bias shaft like the Alpina. They have a bit lower torque, so they hold up good for guys with a hard release.

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1429191134' post='11372331']
[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1429189313' post='11372137']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thanks Mob , looking forward to hearing your comparisons on the 2 .

I am playing Saturday. I will take the Arcane out that day and let you know my impressions. My swing, while still slow, is starting to get alittle better. A lot of rust from the offseason apparently.
[/quote]

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

Played the Arcane a couple more times and I am really impressed with this shaft. I am hitting more fairways than last year, using the same BC+ head. This shaft has great feel, nice control, mid-high ball flight, with mid spin. Distance is unclear at this point as it is early in the season and fairways are wet with no roll, but I suspect it will be equivalent to most other shafts I play. The big key here, besides great feel, is dispersion. My misses were much closer to the fairway, and the side spin seemed less. The only issue I have now, is that I also have a Rogue 125msi that I am hitting equally as well. How to choose?

LEFT HANDED

Played the Arcane a couple more times and I am really impressed with this shaft. I am hitting more fairways than last year, using the same BC+ head. This shaft has great feel, nice control, mid-high ball flight, with mid spin. Distance is unclear at this point as it is early in the season and fairways are wet with no roll, but I suspect it will be equivalent to most other shafts I play. The big key here, besides great feel, is dispersion. My misses were much closer to the fairway, and the side spin seemed less. The only issue I have now, is that I also have a Rogue 125msi that I am hitting equally as well. How to choose?

LEFT HANDED