Wide feet and True Linkswear shoes

slicey17

I've been golfing in True Linkswear shoes exclusively for the last few years. I started with a pair of PHX's and have had the Tours and Stealths since. Although, I was intrigued with them because they were zero drop, I was drawn to them because of the wide toe box. Others can call them clown shoes all they want, I needed that extra width. Buying shoes has been a PIA since middle school. I have yet to find a pair of Nikes that will properly fit me without the tip of the shoe being a couple inches past my toes. I digress.

I recently got my first pair of the Gent Wingtips. I had my eye on them since they came out, and finally found a good deal on them. They arrived tonight and I go to try them on and I can't even get my foot inside the shoe. I used a shoe horn and it still took quite a bit of effort. As soon as my foot got situated, I could tell there was just no way. I ordered the .5 size up that is suggested, but no dice. The shoes are a certainly long enough, but for me it isn't the same wide toe box as before. It isn't like some of my previous Trues where they just needed to be broken in. My foot was trying to bust the shoes at the seams like the Hulk. Part of my problem is that not only do I have wide feet, but I've got high arches. I'm hoping that there are some WRXers out there that have had similar problems. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

I'm not a big fan of any of the other current True styles they have out. I like the zero drop aspect, as it just makes me feel as if I have a good sense of my footwork throughout the swing. That isn't exclusive to guys wearing zero drop shoes obviously, but for me it has been an added benefit. I'm looking for some possible alternatives. I love my Stealths and will probably stock up since it isn't hard to find them on clearance somewhere, but I would enjoy a different look. I've tried various pairs of ECCOs, but not wide enough. M:Project wide didn't work either. Vivobarefoot wasn't even close. What other options might you guys suggest? I hope future styles True Linkswear comes out with continue with the wide toe box like in previous years, but right now they have me wondering.

Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing others' experiences.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1423710245' post='10935981']
[color=#800080]I woulds suggest the NBG574 spiked or spikeless over the Minimus. They haves more support and overall more of sneaker type feel. To me the Minimus are too thin for golf.[/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I don't think there are too many options out there that I haven't tried, I may just give both a try. Never know. I may enjoy the thin feel.

I just bought the Minimus. I'm hoping I'll like the light weight but we'll see.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

And yes, it sucks having flat, wide feet. Very few companies make wides. Addidas, Footjoy and New Balance, that I know of.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='Pondy' timestamp='1423710690' post='10936037']
I just bought the Minimus. I'm hoping I'll like the light weight but we'll see.
[/quote]

It seems like that would be something you could get used to. I bet you wouldn't notice after a few weeks with them. As long as the shoe holds together through range sessions and rounds, it might be nicer to have a lighter weight shoe.

[quote name='Pondy' timestamp='1423710794' post='10936053']
And yes, it sucks having flat, wide feet. Very few companies make wides. Addidas, Footjoy and New Balance, that I know of.
[/quote]

Yeah, I loved the wide toe box concept that True Linkswear had, but the current offerings of their shoes that I like aesthetically just don't fit quite the same, or at all.

[quote name='slicey17' timestamp='1423704130' post='10935167']
I've been golfing in True Linkswear shoes exclusively for the last few years. I started with a pair of PHX's and have had the Tours and Stealths since. Although, I was intrigued with them because they were zero drop, I was drawn to them because of the wide toe box. Others can call them clown shoes all they want, I needed that extra width. Buying shoes has been a PIA since middle school. I have yet to find a pair of Nikes that will properly fit me without the tip of the shoe being a couple inches past my toes. I digress.

I recently got my first pair of the Gent Wingtips. I had my eye on them since they came out, and finally found a good deal on them. They arrived tonight and I go to try them on and I can't even get my foot inside the shoe. I used a shoe horn and it still took quite a bit of effort. As soon as my foot got situated, I could tell there was just no way. I ordered the .5 size up that is suggested, but no dice. The shoes are a certainly long enough, but for me it isn't the same wide toe box as before. It isn't like some of my previous Trues where they just needed to be broken in. My foot was trying to bust the shoes at the seams like the Hulk. Part of my problem is that not only do I have wide feet, but I've got high arches. I'm hoping that there are some WRXers out there that have had similar problems. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

I'm not a big fan of any of the other current True styles they have out. I like the zero drop aspect, as it just makes me feel as if I have a good sense of my footwork throughout the swing. That isn't exclusive to guys wearing zero drop shoes obviously, but for me it has been an added benefit. I'm looking for some possible alternatives. I love my Stealths and will probably stock up since it isn't hard to find them on clearance somewhere, but I would enjoy a different look. I've tried various pairs of ECCOs, but not wide enough. M:Project wide didn't work either. Vivobarefoot wasn't even close. What other options might you guys suggest? I hope future styles True Linkswear comes out with continue with the wide toe box like in previous years, but right now they have me wondering.

Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing others' experiences.
[/quote]

Yep Gents are a bust when the buyer expects a True Linkswear fit. Been there done that.

Try the Nike Lunar Cypress. Low profile and near zero drop. Very comfortable imho and wide forefoot and I have the same needs you expressed with needing room for my forefoot to spread out. Wont buy a shoe if I can't get that fit. Normal D medium width work great in this shoe for me but they are available in wide. Seems most GG and GS stock them so may be worth trying on if you can in your local area.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

The Gent's is definitely the narrowest TRUE shoe I've come across. I should do a comparison photo of them up against the original b/w tuxedo tour shoe I still have. From PGA Merch show photos, it does look that they're continuing that design with 1 or 2 models next season as well.

The good news is that the 2015 Oxford and 2015 Hybrid models appear to have wider toe boxes based on the photos I've seen so far. There's hope for us yet! Inasmuch as the 2014 Oxford was truly a casual shoe w/ suede and canvas options, I sure hope that the 2015 model offer a waterproof leather option that is more golf friendly. The picture below appears to be leather

Oxford

[attachment=2614277:1502537_800949189941723_7972839667452103182_n.jpg]

Hybrid

[attachment=2614279:10432480_800949146608394_4260137213475134727_n.jpg]

Trues lost me with the increase in sole rocker and the rigidness of the rocker. Lets hope 2015 is an improvement in design. The rocker may facilitate a better walking motion but for me creates a real disconnect of your toes to the ground for the golf swing posture

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Well I stopped by PGA Superstore after work and tried some of the suggestions. I managed to find pairs of the Gripmores and Lunar Cypress to try on. The Gripmores even a half to full size up weren't wide enough. Any sizes larger than that and I don't think they'd be comfortable. A quick look online and I wasn't noticing any wide sizes, so if there isn't a wider fit, I don't think those are going to work.

I tried on the Lunar Cypress, but it wasn't a wide, so no surprise it didn't work. I'll keep an eye out for some wide versions in my size range to try on. Anymore, I just feel like it's pointless to try shoes on in the store. Think I'm just going to have to order some of these online and try them out that way.

I like the look of those Oxfords. Seem like a slightly updated version of some of the old Trues. They're plain, but I'm not turned off by the look. The Hybrids I want to see in person. Both pairs look like they have potential though. I'm just hoping that True continues to make some wide toe box shoes like in previous years. That, or I'm going to have to hope that more companies want to enter the minimalist golf shoe market, giving me more options at the very least.

I went from an 11.5 in the first, second, and third generation True's to a 13 in the Gents.

Gent's are still great shoes that are zero drop and roomy in the toe, they just adjusted their sizing to reflect the competition.

I wear a 12.5 or 13 (or a 46) in all my non-golf related shoes (which are mostly of the minimal variety).

[quote name='howeber' timestamp='1423785206' post='10941857']
I went from an 11.5 in the first, second, and third generation True's to a 13 in the Gents.

Gent's are still great shoes that are zero drop and roomy in the toe, they just adjusted their sizing to reflect the competition.

I wear a 12.5 or 13 (or a 46) in all my non-golf related shoes (which are mostly of the minimal variety).
[/quote]

I've had the same size in all the Trues I've had. I could go up in sizes to get the width I need, but then they're too long. Whenever I've gone that route, golf shoes or not, it feels awkward and is a good way to end up with blisters. Might give it a shot though if I can't find anything else.

[quote name='slicey17' timestamp='1423792597' post='10942683']
[quote name='howeber' timestamp='1423785206' post='10941857']

[/quote]

I've had the same size in all the Trues I've had. I could go up in sizes to get the width I need, but then they're too long. Whenever I've gone that route, golf shoes or not, it feels awkward and is a good way to end up with blisters. Might give it a shot though if I can't find anything else.
[/quote]

Then definitely try the gent's again in a bigger size! They didn't chance the size / fit of the shoe so much as the number on the label.

[color=#800080]The bigger golf galaxy stores sell New Balance , if there is one nearby. In my opinions , they are the best golf shoe outs there. They are light in weight , stable , ands comfortable. The best part to me is the middle part , it is wider thans most. A lot of the shoes have that thinner middle parts ands to me it hurts my feet. I am mainly talking abouts the NBG574 , since it is based off of the 574 sneaker.[/color]

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1424098668' post='10962943']
Yes, wide feet are troblesome when looking for golf shoes.

The only thing that works for me at this point is FJ XW.
[/quote]

I only see wides(only W, not XW) in the stores so those have been the only pairs of FJ's I've tried on. They don't have XW in the M:Projects which would've been my first choice to try. They've got other styles that I like though, so I'll give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...

With most of the 2015 lines out, I've had a chance to try on some shoes in store and thought I'd pass my experience along to those of you that may still be looking. Or maybe you haven't had a chance to try any on, so I can give you a couple of places to start.

I started with Trues. Went up to a full size up and it still didn't work. I don't think they should be allowed to advertise a wide toe box anymore. At least that check box brand comparison chart on their website should be changed. They mine as well start making a regular and a wide version like everyone else because their one width model doesn't quite work anymore. By the way the models I was able to try were the game changer hybrid and the true motion. Wasn't really interested in trying on any others after I had such disappointing results with the first two.

Next I moved on to some Footjoy models. I finally found multiple versions in XW in the store, so I piled up a bunch of boxes and got to trying them on. The Hyperflex felt a little snug, but after walking around a little it was comfortable. It was different since I've been wearing strictly Trues for the last few years, but I could certainly give them a try. Next was an XW in the M:Project. Whenever I seemed to go look in the shoe sections I was never able to find an XW in my size, so I was excited to finally try this on(I hate getting shoes online to try because most of the time I know I'm going to have to ship it back anyway). It felt great and was more along the lines of the feel I'm used to. I almost bought a pair, but I'm holding off for now. I'll get to that in a minute. Wasn't really interested in any of the other FJ models, but their XW seems to work for me so good to know. I'd love to try a pair of the Superlites if they made those in XW. Gotta hope for '16 I guess.

There were plenty of wide versions in Nike, so I thought what the heck. Found a couple of pairs that actually worked. TW '15 wide worked in my normal size so that was a surprise. Felt pretty good after walking around a bit and I could give them a try. Like the Hypeflex it was just different to get used to, but it's an option. Saw some '14 TW Mesh that didn't have the spikes, but they didn't have a wide version in anything close to my size. Would've liked to try that on. The FI Impact wide worked for me and felt pretty good. I'm definitely going to keep them in mind in the future.

With all of that said, I may have already found some replacements. I liked the low profile and barefoot feel of the Trues enough that I decided to get a pair of Vibram FiveFingers to practice in. I got the V-Classics model, and the fit was comfortable. I had owned a pair of FiveFingers before that I used for river floats so it wasn't my first time. I got them to just use on the range, but soon I was anxious to try them out on the course. I admit I was a little self conscious about how they looked, but got over it pretty quickly. I really enjoy the feel they give me. I haven't slipped anymore than I did in my Trues. Most, if not all, of the time it seems like slipping is due to bad footwork, of which mine can get suspect at times. If you can stand the look, which I understand isn't for everyone, I highly recommend trying a pair. For practice, if nothing else. They aren't waterproof so in real wet conditions I won't wear them. I've worn them in morning dew without issue. You can feel some moisture on your feet after a bit, but I didn't mind or notice it too much.

Hopefully some of this information helps some of you.

[quote name='slicey17' timestamp='1428774164' post='11334465']
With most of the 2015 lines out, I've had a chance to try on some shoes in store and thought I'd pass my experience along to those of you that may still be looking. Or maybe you haven't had a chance to try any on, so I can give you a couple of places to start.

I started with Trues. Went up to a full size up and it still didn't work. I don't think they should be allowed to advertise a wide toe box anymore. At least that check box brand comparison chart on their website should be changed. They mine as well start making a regular and a wide version like everyone else because their one width model doesn't quite work anymore. By the way the models I was able to try were the game changer hybrid and the true motion. Wasn't really interested in trying on any others after I had such disappointing results with the first two.

Next I moved on to some Footjoy models. I finally found multiple versions in XW in the store, so I piled up a bunch of boxes and got to trying them on. The Hyperflex felt a little snug, but after walking around a little it was comfortable. It was different since I've been wearing strictly Trues for the last few years, but I could certainly give them a try. Next was an XW in the M:Project. Whenever I seemed to go look in the shoe sections I was never able to find an XW in my size, so I was excited to finally try this on(I hate getting shoes online to try because most of the time I know I'm going to have to ship it back anyway). It felt great and was more along the lines of the feel I'm used to. I almost bought a pair, but I'm holding off for now. I'll get to that in a minute. Wasn't really interested in any of the other FJ models, but their XW seems to work for me so good to know. I'd love to try a pair of the Superlites if they made those in XW. Gotta hope for '16 I guess.

There were plenty of wide versions in Nike, so I thought what the heck. Found a couple of pairs that actually worked. TW '15 wide worked in my normal size so that was a surprise. Felt pretty good after walking around a bit and I could give them a try. Like the Hypeflex it was just different to get used to, but it's an option. Saw some '14 TW Mesh that didn't have the spikes, but they didn't have a wide version in anything close to my size. Would've liked to try that on. The FI Impact wide worked for me and felt pretty good. I'm definitely going to keep them in mind in the future.

With all of that said, I may have already found some replacements. I liked the low profile and barefoot feel of the Trues enough that I decided to get a pair of Vibram FiveFingers to practice in. I got the V-Classics model, and the fit was comfortable. I had owned a pair of FiveFingers before that I used for river floats so it wasn't my first time. I got them to just use on the range, but soon I was anxious to try them out on the course. I admit I was a little self conscious about how they looked, but got over it pretty quickly. I really enjoy the feel they give me. I haven't slipped anymore than I did in my Trues. Most, if not all, of the time it seems like slipping is due to bad footwork, of which mine can get suspect at times. If you can stand the look, which I understand isn't for everyone, I highly recommend trying a pair. For practice, if nothing else. They aren't waterproof so in real wet conditions I won't wear them. I've worn them in morning dew without issue. You can feel some moisture on your feet after a bit, but I didn't mind or notice it too much.

Hopefully some of this information helps some of you.
[/quote]

[quote name='PingKing' timestamp='1428788845' post='11335887']
I would agree that the latest Trues aren't as wide as they used to be. I've had togo up a whole size compared to the original.
[/quote]

That is incredibly disappointing. I bought several pairs of the Phoenix because of how wide and comfortable they were. I bought a pair of the 2014 models and they were too tight for me and I never really wore them. The reason they were so great early on were because of how wide they were and how low to the ground they were. Now they have become just like every other company.

For those looking for wide shoes, I did find last years Puma FAAS Grip 2.0 in wide are wide enough for me (They also have quite possibly the best grip for spikeless shoes. One of the best I've bought). The new Adidas Wides are good if they are the sport style or casual style, but the standard style still gets too narrow at the toe.

I will never ever understand why golf shoes get so narrow at the toe. It makes absolutely no sense at all to do it and yet it's been done that way for decades.

I'll be breaking out my True Phoenix White/Green limited edition tomorrow for the Masters. I knew there was a reason I bought them...

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

• 3 months later...

Went through the same issue on Trues as everyone else reports...newer models not as wide as originals. Had success this year with the Hybrid...I use orthotics so out came the insole and when I put my orthotics in I actually had more toe room!

With the Footjoys you have to pay attention to what Last the shoe is built on. Superlite is probably the widest, then Contour. The XW have plenty of room but then the heel is loose.

I was very disappointed with New Balance...great fit for the running shoes and Dunham line, but not the golf shoes!

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Fujikura XLR8
TaylorMade M5 15* Oban Osawa
Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19* Fujikura Atmos
Titleist 816H1 23.5 Speeder HB 8.8
Callaway Apex 19 Elevate Tour
Callaway Vokey 54 58 KBS Tour V
TaylorMade Spider X

My foot was measured as a 12 EEEE, so that usually means 13 E shoes. I have a ridiculous time finding shoes.

Trues are the only ones that fit.

I tried 13 W in Adidas Boost, and the 12/13 XW in the Footjoy DNA's. While I could get my feet into them, they weren't quite right.

The 13 Game Changer Pro's were the ticket. Comfortable from the minute I put them on. Also got a free pair of the Oxfords with them...but they're a bit tighter.

Dunno if that helps, but golf shoe companies need to get their s*** together.