2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Urethane Covers for Cheap.... rank your top ones!

canadianrick

Few things are as great as a nice, fresh ball out of a new sleeve.... beautiful!

Trouble is, these damn ProV1's are expensive and get chewed up pretty quick. I'll play an NXT Tour when I'm out dicking around but for serious rounds I like the feel and higher spin of a urethane cover. Instead of having "good" balls and "junk" balls, I'm thinking about just picking one ball and playing it exclusively....

I've played Nike RZN's, Bridgestone B330's, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade RBZ Urethane (not sure what the equivalent would be on their current line, anyone know?). I usually buy the ProV1 practice balls when they're in stock at my local golf shop.

Anyways, whats the best choice for cheaper, urethane balls that you guys would recommend. To give context for what would fit me, driver swing speed is 115 and I'm a fan of the ProV1, but not the ProV1x because I prefer the higher spin and softer feel of the V1.

I'm particularly curious about the Bridgestone E5 and what the TMAG equivalent of the RBZ urethane is in todays line up. Also, is the Q-Star urethane? any good?

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1423871705' post='10948745']
I haven't played them, but Dean Snell (he used to design balls for TM and I think he designed the original Pro V1), sells a urethane tour ball for $31.99 a dozen.
[/quote]

Ya, by the time they're shipped to Canada I might as well buy ProV1's... basically I'm limited to mainstream ball makers

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

[quote name='canadianrick' timestamp='1423872087' post='10948783']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1423871705' post='10948745']
I haven't played them, but Dean Snell (he used to design balls for TM and I think he designed the original Pro V1), sells a urethane tour ball for $31.99 a dozen.
[/quote]

Ya, by the time they're shipped to Canada I might as well buy ProV1's... basically I'm limited to mainstream ball makers
[/quote]

Sorry Rick...forgot about those entirely unreasonable shipping charges.

[quote name='canadianrick' timestamp='1423871515' post='10948723']
Few things are as great as a nice, fresh ball out of a new sleeve.... beautiful!

Trouble is, these damn ProV1's are expensive and get chewed up pretty quick. I'll play an NXT Tour when I'm out dicking around but for serious rounds I like the feel and higher spin of a urethane cover. Instead of having "good" balls and "junk" balls, I'm thinking about just picking one ball and playing it exclusively....

I've played Nike RZN's, Bridgestone B330's, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade RBZ Urethane (not sure what the equivalent would be on their current line, anyone know?). I usually buy the ProV1 practice balls when they're in stock at my local golf shop.

Anyways, whats the best choice for cheaper, urethane balls that you guys would recommend. To give context for what would fit me, driver swing speed is 115 and I'm a fan of the ProV1, but not the ProV1x because I prefer the higher spin and softer feel of the V1.

I'm particularly curious about the Bridgestone E5 and what the TMAG equivalent of the RBZ urethane is in todays line up. Also, is the Q-Star urethane? any good?
[/quote]Easy, maxfli u3 15 a doz on sale, maxfli u4 17.50 on sale. Next is the mg tour ball, the updated model has a stronger cover. I like the tm (a), Call. Crome.

The TM urethane ball this year is the Project (a). I personally love the Chrome+ and I get last year (or previous year) Nike 20XI for cheap when I can. The e5 feels too hard for me. I don't really like any of bridgestones balls. Top flight gamer tour is also a decent choice but they tend to scuff easily.

[/quote]
The MG Tour C4 is a darn good ball for $20/dz.

Chrome Soft for $40/dz are going to be hard to beat, IMO. Great ball. Love the soft feel! And comes in yellow.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[/quote]

TM Project A is my hands down winner. Fantastic all around ball that can be had for $30/dozen if not cheaper.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I played the U/3 for most of last season but it did not spin for my 18 HCP swing the way the ProV1 does, and that is he way I like it. It did hold the green well and was very long for my 90 mph Driver SS. From the reviews I have read the 4 piece U/4 is a bit more like the ProV1 - I would give both of them a try. I believe the U/3 and U/4 both have the same cover which is very durable. The Gamer Tour is also a steal for a 3 piece urethene ball but not quite the caliber of the U/3.

I've played the ProV1/V1x and love those balls. Would only use them during rounds that count. Otherwise, when I'm just practicing, I'd go for the Zstar/ZstarXV or the TM Project (a). The project(a) ball really surprised me this year. Excellent feel and price factor. They can be had for $10/dz.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1424020086' post='10957573']
I've played the ProV1/V1x and love those balls. Would only use them during rounds that count. Otherwise, when I'm just practicing, I'd go for the Zstar/ZstarXV or the TM Project (a). The project(a) ball really surprised me this year. Excellent feel and price factor. They can be had for $10/dz.
[/quote]

$10.... where ?

MG c4 golf ball at the everyday low price of $20/dozen is the best ball and best value for a urethane cover. Other notable mentions, top flite gamer tour at 2 dozens for $35 from DSG, hex chrome at $25 to $30 depending on retailer, and my current balls Srixon Z-Star SL and Z-Stars can be had for around $25/dozen, I loved how the MG ball performed and felt but my eyes are terrible at tracking balls so I have to play yellow balls. The Srixon urethane has looked and performed well for me.

I bought a bunch of Wilson FG Tours when they had the "blemish" sale maybe a year and a half ago. No one on any forums can find a blemish... Paid about $12 a dozen. To me, that ranks as a great deal.

Cobra LTDX driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 4-A

Sub 70 JB Forged 54/58/62

Lock N Roll Putter 

I've played Nike RZN's, Bridgestone B330's, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade RBZ Urethane (not sure what the equivalent would be on their current lin

[/quote]

Rick, I was going to ask a similar question to yours. I note that you have a 115 mph club head speed, mine is 113, so we are roughly in the same boat. I'm just getting back into the idea of playing golf again on a regular basis(last 5 years has been busy), but I have noticed something about these low compression "soft" balls with a urethane cover; they suck at driver distance.

The last time I played was about 6 months ago, and I have a sleeve of Callaway Chromes with a urethane cover, and a sleeve of Callaway HEX Black. Simply put, the Chrome was a duck on my driver and 3 wood as I averaged 15 more yards on the HEX. This was consistent with my findings when I played everyday 5 years ago, low compression balls are nice but do not go as far as higher compression tour level balls. Caveat emptor my friend.

[quote name='tgard27' timestamp='1424138677' post='10967789']
I've played Nike RZN's, Bridgestone B330's, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade RBZ Urethane (not sure what the equivalent would be on their current lin

[/quote]

Rick, I was going to ask a similar question to yours. I note that you have a 115 mph club head speed, mine is 113, so we are roughly in the same boat. I'm just getting back into the idea of playing golf again on a regular basis(last 5 years has been busy), but I have noticed something about these low compression "soft" balls with a urethane cover; they suck at driver distance.

The last time I played was about 6 months ago, and I have a sleeve of Callaway Chromes with a urethane cover, and a sleeve of Callaway HEX Black. Simply put, the Chrome was a duck on my driver and 3 wood as I averaged 15 more yards on the HEX. This was consistent with my findings when I played everyday 5 years ago, low compression balls are nice but do not go as far as higher compression tour level balls. Caveat emptor my friend.
[/quote]

Just wondering if you played the Chrome or the Chrome+. With your swing speed I could see the regular Chrome maybe not fitting you that well. I have a much lower swing speed and the Chrome is one of the longer urethane balls I have played off the tee.

1. Maxfli U4 (Great performance and at 2 for $35 its a no brainer)
2. Callaway Chrome + (Great all around ball and $10 - $15 cheaper than the competition)
3. Any tour practice balls

Cobra LTD - 9* - Rogue 125 MSI 60TX
Cobra LTD - 14.5* - Rogue Black 70X
Adams Red Hy - 20* - Altus 80X
Titleist CB - 3-PW - DG S300 HSx1
Callaway MD3 - 52* / 56* / 60* - DG S300
Odyssey RX V-line Fang - 34"

[quote name='leerob3' timestamp='1424019869' post='10957555']
Like Hat Trick said end of year closeouts are always good deals. Just bought 2 dozen Wilson FG Tours for 28$ each, great all-around ball.
[/quote]

Great ball!

Durability ain't spectacular but for a round or two it's a great ball.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1423925109' post='10951647']
Srixon Z series $29.99 most places.
Rife V-Motion. $29.99. Very good ball.
[/quote]

What was your opinion on the V-motion? I was interested to try them but I try to not go on their site because I know I wouldn't be able to leave without a putter in the order too.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]