It just plain stinking WORKS

Hidalgo

Over this winter I've been experimenting with a few different balls. I've played the Chrome Soft, the ProV1, Srixon ZStar, Bridgestone B330, B330s, B330RX, B330RXS, and even the DUO. Without going into a dissertation about the good/bad of these balls, just suffice to say that none of them ever gave me that "good" feeling when I played them. There was always something lacking in some part of the game that made me uncomfortable. After many rounds and testing, I just couldn't make ANY of them work for me.

Finally, I put the Prov1x back into play. WOW. It was like shaking hands with an old friend. The distances were where they were supposed to be and the dispersion was back to a good spread. No more struggling or second guessing myself.

The bottom line is that the ProV1X just stinking WORKS for me like no other ball out there.

How many of you have tried several different balls and found that you were smiling when you went back to your old-time favorite?

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally. I made the change to TM Tour Preferred X last season, and have never looked back. I played the Pro V1x exclusively for years. I have about 7 dozen sitting on the shelf, so no plans to return anytime soon.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I can relate as well. Played the V1/x for many, many years and have lately tried a multitude of others. They all work, but when I go back to the ProV1, it is like an old friend. That's a good way to put it.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I feel the same about the B330. Play around with a ton of balls, but none does exactly what I want/need like the B330. When a ball fits you, it just fits you. Finding that fit is the hard part.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Every Spring when the new balls come out I'll give each a try to see what the buzz (if any) is about. After all the effort I come back to the ProV1. It just seems to do everything good with no down side. Other balls may fly a yard or two further or have some other attribute, but overall for every shot that you face on the course the ProV1 does just fine. Very balanced performance. As they've become more durable the past few years, if you don't spray them in the woods the price is acceptable.

I'm interested in both the Z Star SL and the B-330 RX right now, but there's a reason Titleist is the number one ball in golf.

One of the websites that reviews balls makes a statement about Titleist being the only manufacturer that disagrees about fitting a ball by linking the compression to swing speed. That seems to match their current marketing strategy with the pro's saying they use a lot of different swing speeds.

To me, if you're going for the best ball and price is no object then absolutely play the ProV or the X, but why do people buy the other Titleist balls? There's always a better ball at the same price point.

To me the idea that Titleist makes a ball that is superior to all others is more marketing and tradition than anything else. I played the 330rx last year and had my best year ever. For me the difference was my misses. I found the rx to stay in play more and give me a chance to recover. I didn't make more birdies with this ball just fewer bogies. I found it to be more stable in wind than any Titleist ball. But that is the case for me with the calloway balls too. For my game Titleist is behind both of these ball makers. So much so I won't even bother trying their new balls this year. I like the new variety of choices available for me and am happy the competition in the ball market is healthy. This winter I tried the gamer soft and was really surprised at what a good ball it was. This site has a lot of info to help decide which ball is properly suited for your own game. For those that only try Titleist they may never know what they are missing.

I am of the same thinking Muni. I truly believe that if the OP did a blind test and hit the Prov1x, Srixon XV, Bridgestone, B330, TM Tour preferred X, he could not pick out the Prov1x.

Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Series Zing putter

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1424207927' post='10973071']
I am of the same thinking Muni. I truly believe that if the OP did a blind test and hit the Prov1x, Srixon XV, Bridgestone, B330, TM Tour preferred X, he could not pick out the Prov1x.
[/quote]

And you are SADLY mistaken. YOU might not be able to tell the difference, but I surely can. Ballooning, ball flights, green side spin, compression, distances, workability ........ there were many, many variables that reared their ugly heads with the other balls.

I wasn't intending to start a Titleist vs Brand X thread as we already have one of those on a weekly basis. I was simply wondering if anyone else had been "ball testing" only to return to their original ball afterwards.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424208334' post='10973117']
[/quote]

And you are SADLY mistaken. YOU might not be able to tell the difference, but I surely can. Ballooning, ball flights, green side spin, there were many, many variables that reared their ugly heads with the other balls.

I wasn't intending to start a Titleist vs Brand X thread as we already have one of those on a weekly basis. I was simply wondering if anyone else had been "ball testing" only to return to their original ball afterwards.
[/quote]I could be mistaken. But, have you ever tested these balls without knowing which ball you are hitting?

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1424208471' post='10973139']
[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424208334' post='10973117']
[/quote]

And you are SADLY mistaken. YOU might not be able to tell the difference, but I surely can. Ballooning, ball flights, green side spin, there were many, many variables that reared their ugly heads with the other balls.

[/quote]I could be mistaken. But, have you ever tested these balls without knowing which ball you are hitting?
[/quote]

I'll say it one more time ..... You ARE mistaken. You obviously aren't aware that knowing the name on the ball doesn't make it act any differently.

I don't have an ego, and am not connected to Titleist or any other manufacturer. I just want a ball that does what I expect it to do on a consistent basis. I gave every ball I tested several rounds to see if there were any patterns of behavior that I liked or didn't like.

FWIW I can tell when I strike a ball properly. When it acts differently than what I am accustomed to it is noticed. When it does it repetitively it becomes a problem. Names on balls don't cause that.

Heck, I'd play a pink Noodle if it fit my game better than anything else out there.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1424211623' post='10973547']
No need to get angry. We just disagree. It's not the end of the world, I can live with that.
[/quote]

Nobody's angry. However, it isn't prudent to comment on someone's ability to distinguish between different golf balls and their inherent traits unless they know that player and their game and can back up your statements. What you may or may not be able to tell about a golf ball has nothing to do with my ability to observe said differences. You insinuated by your remarks that if I had played the balls blindly I could not have told the difference between them all. That's simply not the case, and is not a disagreement but an outcome of my testing. There were obvious differences and it was plainly evident.

And like I said .......... I was simply asking if anyone had tested balls recently only to go back to their original ball afterwards. I wasn't endorsing a certain brand nor bashing another.

And FWIW, your favorite B330RX/RXS balls are great offerings. They just don't perform as I need a ball to perform.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

It's a good ball no doubt, but I've played many just as good and some better (For my game). There are so many good balls these days, I could likely put into play 15 different balls and be fine with the results, v1x included. I think there is something to be said about "tried and true", having that confidence that you know this ball will work for you, no ?'s. That helps in the confidence dept., which IMO is very important; like your fav. shirt or pair of shoes, you just feel better with them on:)

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424214738' post='10973907']
No need to get angry. We just disagree. It's not the end of the world, I can live with that.
[/quote]

Nobody's angry. However, it isn't prudent to comment on someone's ability to distinguish between different golf balls and their inherent traits unless they know that player and their game and can back up your statements. What you may or may not be able to tell about a golf ball has nothing to do with my ability to observe said differences. You insinuated by your remarks that if I had played the balls blindly I could not have told the difference between them all. That's simply not the case, and is not a disagreement but an outcome of my testing. There were obvious differences and it was plainly evident.

And like I said .......... I was simply asking if anyone had tested balls recently only to go back to their original ball afterwards. I wasn't endorsing a certain brand nor bashing another.

And FWIW, your favorite B330RX/RXS balls are great offerings. They just don't perform as I need a ball to perform.
[/quote]I'll stand by my opinion (and it's only my opinion) that if you hit those balls I mentioned, side by side, over and over again, you wouldn't be able to pick out the Prov1x. The reason I brought up blind testing is because I feel that if you know which ball you're hitting you may already have a preconceived notion.

Call it a preconceived notion or just plain confidence, the idea that a particular ball is the best for you is powerfully addictive, so I agree with Hidalgo's premise as it relates to HIM. I feel the same way about the Srixon Z Star even though being in the business affords me plenty of free balls from all the major manufacturers.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1424216395' post='10974087']
[/quote]

[/quote]I'll stand by my opinion (and it's only my opinion) that if you hit those balls I mentioned, side by side, over and over again, you wouldn't be able to pick out the Prov1x. The reason I brought up blind testing is because I feel that if you know which ball you're hitting you may already have a preconceived notion.
[/quote]

You know you are exchanging barbs with Hogan? :swoon: He can tell!

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name='buckI' timestamp='1424216940' post='10974157']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You know you are exchanging barbs with Hogan? :swoon: He can tell!
[/quote]LOL

Long-time ProV1 user here and dabbler of other brands in the search of the unicorn... but in the last 12 months found the B330S (I think the 2013 version is the one I am using) to suit me better and stuck with it throughout the 2014 season.

The problem I have is when you find a model that suits you well, the manufacturers think they can enhance it with their next version/iteration and screw up something good. Admittedly I am not an expert on Bridgestone B330 versions, but the newest (maybe the 2014 version?) isn't quite as good IMO.

The search continues I guess...

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I'll stand by my opinion (and it's only my opinion) that if you hit those balls I mentioned, side by side, over and over again, you wouldn't be able to pick out the Prov1x. The reason I brought up blind testing is because I feel that if you know which ball you're hitting you may already have a preconceived notion.
[/quote]

Yep, it's your opinion and based on ZERO knowledge of my game and abilities. Pretty poor evidence to base an opinion on .......................

Let's just drop this issue because it's not going anywhere. I know what I know, and you are making observations about what you THINK you know.

I'm done here.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='cmb71' timestamp='1424217586' post='10974249']
Long-time ProV1 user here and dabbler of other brands in the search of the unicorn... but in the last 12 months found the B330S (I think the 2013 version is the one I am using) to suit me better and stuck with it throughout the 2014 season.

The problem I have is when you find a model that suits you well, the manufacturers think they can enhance it with their next version/iteration and screw up something good. Admittedly I am not an expert on Bridgestone B330 versions, but the newest (maybe the 2014 version?) isn't quite as good IMO.

The search continues I guess...
[/quote]

I agree. I used to play the B330S a few years ago when it was a 3 piece ball. I liked everything about it. Then they had to "improve" it and make it a 4 piece ball. It just didn't work as well for me.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424217650' post='10974263']
I'll stand by my opinion (and it's only my opinion) that if you hit those balls I mentioned, side by side, over and over again, you wouldn't be able to pick out the Prov1x. The reason I brought up blind testing is because I feel that if you know which ball you're hitting you may already have a preconceived notion.
[/quote]

Yep, it's your opinion and based on ZERO knowledge of my game and abilities. Pretty poor evidence to base an opinion on .......................

Let's just drop this issue because it's not going anywhere. I know what I know, and you are making observations about what you THINK you know.

I'm done here.
[/quote]

Thank you.

I am willing to bet that one could take any golfer on this site and perform a blind test with various premium balls, resulting in the golfer not being able to reliably predict which ball he is hitting with any sort of scientifically valid correlation. There's a reason that drug trials are performed blindly.

When the ProV1 first came out, I would say it stood above the rest. Since then, it has easily been equaled (and in some cases surpassed) by other offerings.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424217650' post='10974263']
[/quote]

I'm done here.
[/quote]So am I.

Long time ProV1 user here. Actually really liked the TM TP5 also, but that lasted a whole year till they stopped producing them. Back to the ProV1 for me !!

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X