Nashville Area Golf Clubs

Hello fellow GolfWRXers.

I have moved to the Nashville area and I am looking for a club to join. I am a 3.9 index and love Saturday morning games with the guys. Not scared to toss a little jack on a game, but I am no means a high-roller.

I am trying to find a club that has a good, down to earth MGA with member-member tourneys and first-class member-guest. My wife has informed me that we will buy a home in the south/southeast part of town. Franklin, Brentwood, Nolensville area for the schools.

I have heard good and bad about every club. I have been leaning towards:

1) The Governor's Club - can't get the membership coordinator to call me back. Kind of makes me feel like they must not be looking for members.

2) The Grove - seems a tad bit "out there" since I will be working in Mid-Town area and not looking for an hour commute each way each day. But love the thought of equestrian "tee times" for my two daughters on horses that I do not have to maintain (included in monthly dues).

3) Nashville Golf and Athletic Club - I hear this is the "Golfer's Club", but that was from members who were walking between holes. I've always thought my clubs were the best too! Not to discount them, but looking for completely unbiased feedback.

4) Legends - I hear this one is great, however, the $15K initiation has me a little hesitant to say the least

5) GC of TN - too far out.

These are the ones that I continuously hear about and see on the map while looking for a house. My wife is very attuned to my golfing needs and is looking for places in close proximity to courses...but I need to tell her which course. I am not in a big hurry, but would like to nail something down soon.

Any feedback you have is much appreciated.

Thank you and See you on the links!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a thread that will give you more information about the clubs in the Franklin / Brentwood area:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955491-nashville-golf-membership-help-i-am-close-to-relocating/page__p__9392455__hl__+nashville#entry9392455

Feel free to send me a message with any specific questions.

Brett

A brand new course will be opening this Spring called the Hideaway at Arrington. It was originally going to be called Mystic Ridge. It is located near the Kix Brook winery called Arrington Vineyards. Go to the Southeast subforum. A big thread discusses the course and has pictures of it being developed. If you are going to live near Nolensville, this course will be one of the closest to you.

Looks like it will be semi private or private. Homesites are also being sold around the course. Still get the Williamson County schools. PM me if you are looking for a group to play golf with or have any questions regarding the area, golf,etc. Good luck!

If having a game is what's most important to you, call Johan Kok, the general manager out at Temple Hills. There is a great group of low-handicappers who play there together every Saturday and Sunday morning and often on Wednesday and Friday afternoons. He can fill you in. I was part of that group for several years until recently moving to Pinehurst.

During peak season, there will be 4-5 tee times on weekend mornings with about half the guys playing to a 3 or lower, including a handful of legit players. Guys range in age from the low 30s to low 60s. They play the tips and play it down. There's a mandatory $10 scats game and all side bets (mostly 2-man bets) are $3 a side with automatic 2-downs and 1-downs on 9 and 18. Tough to lose more than $100 if you really get pasted. Also, to be completely blunt, it's a pretty tight-knit group and you better be able to take it and dish it out or you won't fit in.

Anyway, if that sounds like your cup of tea, call Johan, who plays with that group and is a stud (he shot 67 in the second round of the PGA Championship at Valhalla last summer), and he can fill you in. Tell him you were referred by the BSG!

I live downtown and a member at The Grove. It takes 35min not considering high traffic times. Great club and attention to detail and course conditions are fantastic. Some issues with greens last year but that was most Bermuda in the southeast. One of the best practice facilities I have seen including many tour courses with a Trackman to play with. You must be a property owner to join and lots start around 175-600k. The TN State match play for 2015 will be hosted there, as well as NCAA regionals 2016, Scott Stallings and Snedeker host a junior ryder cup and member meet and greet with a clinic. Rumor has a Champions Tour event will be hosted annually as soon as a sponsor is procured. Great pools, tennis courts, horses available, and spa on site, PM for more details

Nashville Golf - great value and centrally located, closer to Franklin, good lower hdcp game, clubhouse needs to be touched up, not much for the family but good golf course and games

Legends- has 1 good course and 1 ok course, large membership and 1 course is closed often for corporate events as owned by Vanderbilt, good practice facility and plenty of games

Hillwood CC, located 10 minutes from Midtown, great golf course and amenities

Governors- not a fan of the course, conditions not usually that great, nice amenities

Golf Club of Tn- great golf course, a lot of celebrity members, I think it is best course in the state, ahead of The Honors in Ooltewah top 30 in US, Golf club closes for about 3 months in the winter, caddies on site, good games, pure golf club no family amenities, always good conditions, 35min from downtown Nashville

Other good options, Richland CC, Westhaven, Belle Meade (hard to get into)

[quote name='Manderson59' timestamp='1424586713' post='11002353']
I live downtown and a member at The Grove. It takes 35min not considering high traffic times. Great club and attention to detail and course conditions are fantastic. Some issues with greens last year but that was most Bermuda in the southeast. One of the best practice facilities I have seen including many tour courses with a Trackman to play with. You must be a property owner to join and lots start around 175-600k. The TN State match play for 2015 will be hosted there, as well as NCAA regionals 2016, Scott Stallings and Snedeker host a junior ryder cup and member meet and greet with a clinic. Rumor has a Champions Tour event will be hosted annually as soon as a sponsor is procured. Great pools, tennis courts, horses available, and spa on site, PM for more details

Nashville Golf - great value and centrally located, closer to Franklin, good lower hdcp game, clubhouse needs to be touched up, not much for the family but good golf course and games

Legends- has 1 good course and 1 ok course, large membership and 1 course is closed often for corporate events as owned by Vanderbilt, good practice facility and plenty of games

Hillwood CC, located 10 minutes from Midtown, great golf course and amenities

Governors- not a fan of the course, conditions not usually that great, nice amenities

Golf Club of Tn- great golf course, a lot of celebrity members, I think it is best course in the state, ahead of The Honors in Ooltewah top 30 in US, Golf club closes for about 3 months in the winter, caddies on site, good games, pure golf club no family amenities, always good conditions, 35min from downtown Nashville

Other good options, Richland CC, Westhaven, Belle Meade (hard to get into)
[/quote]

You live downtown but you have to own property at the Grove to be a member? I'm confused. These facts don't seem to match up unless you have a 2nd home at the Grove, which is possible I suppose.

You'll probably find it easier to get into a few games at Legends quickly.

NG&A will have some pretty good games.

The Golf Club is by far the best but certainly not cheap and it is a haul out there.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Thank you all for the feedback. While I haven't nailed it down yet, this helps a ton. I am hoping the weather turns and I can get out to a course or three to have a looksee. I hope to see you all around the courses. However, finding lumberman and blueheron may find a bit difficult! But I will continue to pound the ProV1x until I find some friends. You all make it seem easy.

The blueheron can be found at Old Fort GC in Murfreesboro early every Saturday and Sunday morning weather permitting around 46 weeks per year. Best public course in the state, that I have played, in my opinion. Greens are consistently better than many private courses in the area if not the best. Super does a great job here. If you are looking for a game, Can hook you up with a friend that plays to around a 2(just guessing). Welcome to Nashville. Great folks around this area.

• 4 weeks later...

[color=#282828]I enjoyed the Hermitage as a visitor many times. No idea what it is like to be a member there though.[/color]

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

[quote name='Golfin_fool' timestamp='1427739535' post='11246449']
Ok Fellas! I think we are narrowing down our search. We have found a place in Thompsons Station off Lewisburg Pike south of 840. Instinct tells me to go to The Grove. Any other inputs for that far south?

She is also looking in Mt Juliet area...Suggestions there?

Thanks WRXers!
[/quote]Kings Creek for Public play and The Grove for private play. A new course is supposed to open off 840 at Nolensville road(31A) called the Hideaway at Arrington. Its close to Arrington Vineyards.