2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Vanity Golf Courses - Personal, 1-Owner, Tiny Membership, Etc.

So, Michael Jordan wants his own golf club. This is not a new phenomenon in the US. There are quite a few courses in the US owned by one person or that have an extremely small membership (think less than 100). This thread is set up to name those courses or to spy cam them into the open.

I've provided examples of these types of courses below. I'm not looking for the super-exclusive, remote clubs. I'm talking about the type of courses that one person has built for him and his buddies to use. Usually, the story goes that that person couldn't get into __________________(FILL IN AUGUSTA, SHINNECOCK, CYPRESS here), and decided to built a monument to their ego.

Here are the examples I'm aware of:

White Oak Plantation (Georgia):

https://www.jaxdaily...Story_id=539050

I was aware of this course in my younger years. It's been around quite some time. Built by Howard Gilman, a paper company owner, this property has quite the colorful history. Think it's only a 9-holer. Not sure if the golf course is still in action after the sale.

Anne Arrundel Manor:

http://www.golfcluba...p?topic=58353.0

Recently featured in the Congressman Schock disclosure issue, this is where your Fannie/Freddie money went prior to the bust. Guess it sold to a new owner and now it's used on Lobbying fiestas.

Upperville VA Golf Course (NAME?)

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

So, this is a true sleeper. Full 18 hole course in a great location. NOBODY plays there except the owner. If the link above doesn't work, try Oakley Lane Upperville, VA. You'll see it. Rumor has it that it's owned by the developer of Crystal City in DC. Further rumors include the owner banning his own son from playing after he caught him on the course without his permission.

The Institute Golf Course:

https://www.google.c...ed=0CIMBEKIqMA4

So, this place is owned by the Fry's guy in California. His personal course. Maybe the future host of the Fry's Open. I'm sure the Cali folk know all about it.

I know that Kenny Rogers had an 18-holer on his estate in GA, as well, but I didn't include that one. I also consider the Wynn to be a personal golf club. Yes, you can play there (for a huge fee), but the rounds per year are ridiculously low, and it's really a playground for his family.

Also, Wayne Huizenga's place in Florida no longer really qualifies. He sold it.

Anyone else?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not quite up to snuff but this is a small 60 member course near me. [url="http://www.balmoralgolfclub.com/index.htm"]It has 9 holes with 2 sets of tees to make 18. [/url]

Also near me the CEO of Simon Malls has a course on his estate grounds. [url="http://curbed.com/archives/2014/09/03/lavish-baronial-estate-with-private-golf-course-wants-25m.php"]Currently for sale for the bargain price of $25 million.[/url]

[b]The Sanctuary [/b]in Colorado.... one owner and one member. It is owned by the owner of REMAX...rumor is he was not allowed into Castle Pines so he built his own course right down the road. Article from 97' .... turned down PGA event talks.

[i][url="http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/1997/04/07/story6.html?page=all"]http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/1997/04/07/story6.html?page=all[/url][/i]

The Dunes Club in New Buffalo,MI. Its 9 holes and its Mike Keiser's first course as legend goes. It has members, but no public play. Highly praised.

I also did irrigation for a few summers and a retired firefighter had a huge 4 hole spread he built himself from scratch. He leveled an insane amount of his woodland to make it. I didn't appreciate what hed done at the time,but now I see why he would do it.

R9 460 10.5 L flex 46"

COBRA Baffler XL 17* FW
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 28* hybrids
Hand ground Bazooka QLS 7-PW

Component Wedges 50* 54* 60* 63*
(hand grinds) torched 

Heavy Putter B2m 38" Ust FF shaft
Rife Switchback XL (custom long neck) 34" UST FF 

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1425147824' post='11047905']
[b]The Sanctuary [/b]in Colorado.... one owner and one member. It is owned by the owner of REMAX...rumor is he was not allowed into Castle Pines so he built his own course right down the road. Article from 97' .... turned down PGA event talks.

[i][url="http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/1997/04/07/story6.html?page=all"]http://www.bizjourna...6.html?page=all[/url][/i]
[/quote]

Interesting. Here's an article from Links on the course

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/sanctuary-6-26-12

[quote name='LansingMI' timestamp='1425148359' post='11047959']
The Dunes Club in New Buffalo,MI. Its 9 holes and its Mike Keiser's first course as legend goes. It has members, but no public play. Highly praised.

I also did irrigation for a few summers and a retired firefighter had a huge 4 hole spread he built himself from scratch. He leveled an insane amount of his woodland to make it. I didn't appreciate what hed done at the time,but now I see why he would do it.
[/quote]

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-06-28/sports/0906270406_1_mike-royko-nine-hole-golf-cars

Porcupine Ranch in Rancho Mirage bought by Larry Ellison of Oracle fame. Think just him and his friends play it. Bought it from a member of the Forbes family for a steal - $42 million.

[attachment=2641575:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1425222478.209420.jpg]

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Porcupine Creek, not Ranch.

Tim Blixseth's own course. Phil Mickelson used to ask him to come over and practice there before the Humana and TPC Scottsdale stops on tour. The Blixseth's went through a bitter divorce and the wife got the course. It went straight to hell and Larry swooped in and bought it.

Also, at the time, Shadow Creek was prob Steve Wynn's own course with his house right on the course. You could play 50K at the tables and still not get on that place. Had to be at least 250k in play to even be considered for one round there. Obviously not like that anymore.

[quote name='URStillAway' timestamp='1425222490' post='11053117']
Porcupine Ranch in Rancho Mirage bought by Larry Ellison of Oracle fame. Think just him and his friends play it. Bought it from a member of the Forbes family for a steal - $42 million.

[attachment=2641575:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1425222478.209420.jpg]
[/quote]

This place was originally built by Tim Blixseth, who was recently released from jail for contempt. This deadbeat defrauded investors on a ski and golf resort in Montana. When the court demanded accounting records Blixseth decided he would rather go to jail than provide them, hence the contempt conviction. A real class act. Phil must have a thing for shady characters.

I got to play Porcupine Creek! The Calif Police Chiefs got it for the annual conference and around 60 of us played. They had to bring in carts from nearby courses as the course only has a handful.

There really isn't any way to do it justice in describing it. Watching Augusta during the Masters reminds me of the way they keep this course. Flowers on the tee box (that are as smooth as some muni greens,) nothing out of place, refreshments every other hole. Amazing.

I can't speak about Tim Blixith's morals, but I can highly recommend his taste in golf. BTW, we got the course because one of the chiefs knew his former wife Edra Blixith. She was very accommodating to us.

Another private course in the Coachella Valley is Sunnylands- the former Annenberg estate in Ranch Mirage. It is where a lot of sitting presidents go to play. Older course but very nice.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Blixith's fraud was pretty startling. It's an interesting read if anyone is so inclined, lots on the internet. I think the contempt of court came during a civil lawsuit involving Greg LeMond, Bill Gates, and other Yellowstone Club homeowners. A friend of mine taught skiing there and received a Suburban that was few years old as a gratuity. :)

"Papa John" Schnatter has a golf course on his property in East Louisville. I have no idea who built it or what the exact routing is. It has all kinds of tees, fairways, and greens but they play in multiple directions. There isn't much info out there about it either. Papa John is a very private person.

Rick Dees apparently has a golf course on his property in central Kentucky. It is in the Danville, Boyle county area.

One that is well documented and supposed to be a super course is called Wolf Creek in Texas. If you are really interested in these types of courses definitely look more into that. I can't remember the person that owns it but Mike Nuzzo built it and apparently used some cool principles in his design for maintenance. GCA has lots of info over there.

[quote name='LansingMI' timestamp='1425148359' post='11047959']The Dunes Club in New Buffalo,MI. Its 9 holes and its Mike Keiser's first course as legend goes. It has members, but no public play. Highly praised.

I also did irrigation for a few summers and a retired firefighter had a huge 4 hole spread he built himself from scratch. He leveled an insane amount of his woodland to make it. I didn't appreciate what hed done at the time,but now I see why he would do it.[/quote]

In the last five years or so The Dunes Club has become much easier to play. The membership is within 2 or 3 of 100.

paul desmarais (recently died).... french canadian business tycoon.... has an 18 hole course in rural quebec, canada..... i could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if it is top 50 course in canada... was his own course. no members.

red tail near london,ontario is renowned for amazing course and very small membership. like a true "club" of wealthy friends... small, very exclusive.

does the old walter annenburg property in palm springs still have its own golf course? not sure if it was 9 holes or 18 holes but i think the holes were full length.,,, was his own course.

trying to think of others, and i don't think 3 or 4 greens with a bunch of different tees counts... would be nice though.

i was thinking of kenny rogers golf course............ i think harold lloyd and his neighbor each had golf courses in beverly hills, not full 18 full length but pretty big apparently. and beverly hills.

not a course but a guy in a very expensive area of malibu has his own pretty large practice area.... is it the univision guy (hispanic tv)? big problems with neighbors and government.

[quote name='jim rockford' timestamp='1425269359' post='11058461']
paul desmarais (recently died).... french canadian business tycoon.... has an 18 hole course in rural quebec, canada..... i could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if it is top 50 course in canada

red tail near london,ontario is renowned for amazing course and very small membership. like a true "club" of wealthy friends.

does the old walter annenburg property in palm springs still have its own golf course? not sure if it was 9 holes or 18 holes but i think the holes were full length.

trying to think of others, and i don't think 3 or 4 greens with a bunch of different tees counts... would be nice though.
[/quote][quote name='jim rockford' timestamp='1425269359' post='11058461']
paul desmarais (recently died).... french canadian business tycoon.... has an 18 hole course in rural quebec, canada..... i could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if it is top 50 course in canada... was his own course. no members.

red tail near london,ontario is renowned for amazing course and very small membership. like a true "club" of wealthy friends... small, very exclusive.

does the old walter annenburg property in palm springs still have its own golf course? not sure if it was 9 holes or 18 holes but i think the holes were full length.,,, was his own course.

i was thinking of kenny rogers golf course............ i think harold lloyd and his neighbor each had golf courses in beverly hills, not full 18 full length but pretty big apparently. and beverly hills.

not a course but a guy in a very expensive area of malibu has his own pretty large practice area.... is it the univision guy (hispanic tv)? big problems with neighbors and government.
[/quote]

was a golf course with a ton of houses for sale really cheaply near winnipeg, canada..... could have had your own golf course pretty easily there.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1398030/canadas-most-exclusive-golf-courses-you-may-never-get-to-play/

craig mccaw had one on an island near vancouver... i saw it on google maps looked like pretty good country type course.

didn't realize good wood near toronto was that exclusive...... less than 100 rounds a year LOL for an absolutely elite course. at least the first few years.

desmarais has his own course AND a 50 member course. wow, can anyone beat that?

There are not that many full 9 or 18 hole Estate courses across the country, but quite a number of hybrid courses that have not been mentioned

Shadow Creek - Oklahoma CIty, OK

Wildflower - Stuart Island, BC

Abramson - Blue Bell, PA

Frogs Breath - New Liskeard, Ontario

Schonfeld Estate - Old Westbury, NY

Asherwood - Carmel, IN

Coeur Du Boise - Caldwell, ID

Sunnylands - Rancho Mirage, CA

Pocantico Hills - Tarrytow, NY

Three Pond Farm - Bridgehampton, NY

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1425126236' post='11046191']
I was trying to remember the name of that one yesterday. Definitely fits the bill. Interesting that they are hosting events.

There's got to be more "backyard" courses out there. Hell, there's 2 within an hour of where i live. This is DC though
[/quote]

what two in DC are you referring to