2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why I play with vintage clubs!

I hit my first shot in 1964.

I played professionally for 12 years. I spent way too many hours standing in the Pro Shop for the next 20+ years. I retired 3 years ago. I now spend my days building custom clubs, teaching a few how to play inside 100 yards, and playing golf with my friends.

I have played clubs with wooden shafts. I have played with the most current prototype from the Tour Van. I have had big companies build clubs to my exact specs. I've built my own clubs. I've used clubs built for others..18 handicappers to a Major winner.. I now know what I like, and more importantly, why I like them.

Most of the preferences for things we like are stored in our memory banks during our early years. When I see a1967 Corvette, reflect on a 17 year old girl I spent every waking hour with in 1973, or put my hands on a set of 1972 Hogan Apex irons, there is absolutely nothing that I don't like! In my mind these are the pinnacles, perfection unmatched!

I have two sets of these '72 irons and am working on a third. My persimmon woods.. Toney Penna TP-85 driver, Macgregor Tourney M65W 2 wood, Macgregor Silver Scot Tourney W693 4 wood, all with wonderful finish and perfect grain patterns, bring out these same feelings. Three Spalding wedges form the late '60's, all unique, slip easily into that warm and peaceful place in my soul.

I have massaged all these clubs into weapons that are like extensions of my body. Visually and mentally they leave no feelings of un-finished business. Ready for battle, they await my command.

If you could spend a day with me, this is what you would come away with. I'm comfortable anywhere, but the golf course is the place I prefer to be. I have no problem being by myself, but I prefer to be with my friends. I have no problem playing golf with the newest clubs of this era, but I prefer the clubs of my youth. I have no problem talking about your last round, but I prefer to discuss mine. I have no problem if you order us gin & tonic, but I will order us single malt. I have no problem if you disagree with my opinion , it just gives us more to talk about. Yes I have a few issues, but I have no problems.

I play vintage clubs for one reason...

THEY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD!!

And that is what I prefer most.

• Like 3

I do not play my vintage all the time Not as much as some of you do on here I will admit. For me I like walking on Sunday afternoon by myself with a few vintage clubs in a vintage walking bag just taking it all in. For me the old blades that I played most of my life help me be a better ballstriker and give me instant feel and feedback. They also give me pleasant glimpses of days gone by. It is funny sometimes the old farts mens group will let me substitute for a missing member if I play my vintage stuff only and I still will beat them. Most of the time it is really fun for me and I don't care about the score or if I have to hit driver 4 wood 5 wood to a par 5 that normally I will hit driver 3 wood to with the moderns. But I am a drawback to the Dinosour era I did not switch to metal woods until 03 and played old Macgregor blades until the last 2 years or so. But really in my so called modern set to some folks standards I carry antique clubs I mean my 3 wood is a Cally Steelhead that I have had for 13 years now and my V-Steels are not new either. My old Ping Zing putter is going on 24 years old now have had it since it was new and I took it out of it's plastic

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I have a set of '72 Apex I would love to refinish and reshaft. Do you play them with the original shafts?

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I do use the first generation Apex 3 shafts made by Brunswick. However several have been reshafted with shafts robbed from other sets. The brunswick apex 3 has a problem of failure due to shaft bending just above hosel. Especially in 2 thru 5, but all are candidates. I have no written data to prove it, but this could have been a factor in Hogan switching to True Temper for their platform. Early light weight shaft ...wall thickness just too thin...easy design flaw to have. KBS has same issue now with Tour 90 reg. Educated guess. Could be wrong, but have seen many early Apex irons with this. :)

I play classic clubs because I can. I currently own more than 50 sets of irons and probably more woods, persimmon and laminates. I have yet to spend more than $120.00 on any one set with most being purchased for less than $30.00. Often I will play a different set each time I play (although this past summer I played either a set of '72 Apex's (2-E, Precision Utility Wedge) or a a mixed set of Precisions and Sunbursts. I love the way the classic clubs feel. I have owned Epon's and currently have Epon forged Hogans and Miura forged MacGregors but still mainly play the stuff forged at either at Hoffman or Cornell in the United States. I have stainless irons from Spalding, MacGreger, and Hogan/Slazenger all of which feel as good as anything new feels to me. I also have several sets of '50's and '60's Mac's which are great irons. Enough background :-)

I have found I score within a couple of strokes no matter which Irons I use, so I use a lot of different sets. I guess I am vicariously living in each of the decades represented by the irons I use. I love hitting crisp, clean shots with a set of irons of the same models (or close) that Nelson, Hogan, Nicklaus, Demaret and Venturi (among countless others) used to win a bunch of tournaments and then to realize I can play with the same equipment they used, reinforcing the fact "it's the indian more than than the arrows."

As Eidolon stated in the opening post "THEY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD." I play for fun, and for me, playing with classic stuff is fun! Isn't the reason we all play to have fun? Suggestion, if you aren't having fun maybe you should step back, reevaluate, and remember why we play this game. If you haven't dipped you toe into playing classic clubs, now is a great time to give it a try! You will find a great resource here to help answer any questions about classic equipment and what may work best for each individual.

I like knowing what's happening. Old clubs give me feedback. Maybe if I had 'top of the line' new stuff it would be different, but I don't feel anything (except uncontrollable whippiness of my 'woods') with that modern set of mine I never use.

I'm convinced my ball striking has improved significantly from using heavy, flat Hogan PCs, and my driving and fairway wood shots are better with the older, smaller 1951 woods than with my 60's and later Mac AT2W and PT2W.

Now I have a set of 1956 Dynapowers which feel different and also great. 2 iron just left and shy of a green 185 yards away the first day I tried it. I'm a beginner.
Seriously, the technology claims are essentially BS. Skill trumps a marginal technological advance any day.

• Like 2

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1425349223' post='11065395']
I like knowing what's happening. Old clubs give me feedback. Maybe if I had 'top of the line' new stuff it would be different, but I don't feel anything (except uncontrollable whippiness of my 'woods') with that modern set of mine I never use.

I'm convinced my ball striking has improved significantly from using heavy, flat Hogan PCs, and my driving and fairway wood shots are better with the older, smaller 1951 woods than with my 60's and later Mac AT2W and PT2W.

Seriously, the technology claims are essentially BS. Skill trumps a marginal technological advance any day.
[/quote]

I think the operative cliche is "you can't buy a game."

YMMV, but the more I practice and play with hickories and steel shafted classics, the more fun I have and the more steadily I seem to improve.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Personally I like the way a lot of the old gear is set up. While I'd alway's played "classic" irons, I woke up to heavy and flat gear a couple of years back after stumbling upon an old Pyratone shafted Bobby Locke 7 iron in my Grandmothers garage. A few swings in the yard had me hooked, I'd never encountered anything that felt so natural to swing before. It's true your body reacts to what you put in your hands! So after sorting out what I really liked in terms of how my irons are set up.
I turned my attention to Persimmon woods.

Now I learnt to play in the late 80's, my first decent set were TM TD Tour Preferred blades 1-SW with a "hand me down" laminated Wilson 1200 LT 4 wood. I played the hell out this gear as a teen. My father didn't want me using a driver, so for years I played with out one. I got good with what I had. My first driver was a 2nd hand steel headed TM 7 deg Tour Burner. While I hated the sound it made and I objected to the very existence of steel woods, it did work and I was more than ready for a driver by this stage. Especially if my father was paying for it.

Once I hit my twenties, I rarely played golf, way, way too many distractions....... thirties much of the same.

A few years a back I played 18 with a friend while on holiday and haven't really stopped since.
Soon after that game I went looking for some new sticks and was in for a rude awakening....

So here I am about twenty years later finally able to enjoy playing Persimmon. During the first round ( not so long ago) that I played persimmon I grinned from ear to every time I hit that driver... and I still do.

By now you can probably understand why I like the classic gear. However the reason I stick to playing it is because the bulk of courses I play are traditional courses and playing them with modern equipment put's me at a disadvantage. These courses are designed around traditional shot lengths, so play them with traditional gear.
Frankly It gives me a far better appreciation of what the course architect had in mind and how the course should be played, consequently I play smarter and score much better. Only last week I played a long par 4 with a sharp left dog leg. I played a 1 iron up to the apex of the dogleg then a 3 wood into the green... easy par !?!
I've seen countless guy's try and go over that dog leg with their tin can's and they always get in trouble, hit short get in trees or get over the dogleg and hit the tree's long.... Carrying a modern driver seems to have some how stopped people thinking about how to play a course properly. Let alone whether they actually have the skill to execute the shot.

Anyway we all know the master ball striker could go around that dog leg with his persimmon driver and balata ball!

My 2 cent's

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

[quote name='Eidolon' timestamp='1425253251' post='11056459']
I do use the first generation Apex 3 shafts made by Brunswick. However several have been reshafted with shafts robbed from other sets. The brunswick apex 3 has a problem of failure due to shaft bending just above hosel. Especially in 2 thru 5, but all are candidates. I have no written data to prove it, but this could have been a factor in Hogan switching to True Temper for their platform. Early light weight shaft ...wall thickness just too thin...easy design flaw to have. KBS has same issue now with Tour 90 reg. Educated guess. Could be wrong, but have seen many early Apex irons with this. :)
[/quote] I played Brunswick shafts in Macgregor clubs for years never had any problems with them in fact some of my macs now have Brunswick shafts. But your statement brought up something I had a Pinseeker 1 iron that was BECU looked like a Karsten 1 and hit great that thing would go until the shaft collapsed. I put 3 different TT X-100s in it and the same thing would happen after 20 shots or so. Just for kicks and giggles I hard stepped a TT Lite and collapsed it after 2 shots. No one at the time could figure out why and so far no one I have talked to since knows why. The darn shafts would collapse just above the hosel and I did check the hosel depth and it was the same as a Karsten 1 and Eye2. I think I scrapped that aggervating head

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1425377361' post='11066965']
Personally I like the way a lot of the old gear is set up. While I'd alway's played "classic" irons, I woke up to heavy and flat gear a couple of years back after stumbling upon an old Pyratone shafted Bobby Locke 7 iron in my Grandmothers garage. A few swings in the yard had me hooked, I'd never encountered anything that felt so natural to swing before. It's true your body reacts to what you put in your hands! So after sorting out what I really liked in terms of how my irons are set up.
I turned my attention to Persimmon woods.

Now I learnt to play in the late 80's, my first decent set were TM TD Tour Preferred blades 1-SW with a "hand me down" laminated Wilson 1200 GE 4 wood. I played the hell out this gear as a teen. My father didn't want me using a driver, so for years I played with out one. I got good with what I had. My first driver was a 2nd hand steel headed TM 7 deg Tour Burner. While I hated the sound it made and I objected to the very existence of steel woods, it did work and I was more than ready for a driver by this stage. Especially if my father was paying for it.

Once I hit my twenties, I rarely played golf, way, way too many distractions....... thirties much of the same.

A few years a back I played 18 with a friend while on holiday and haven't really stopped since.
Soon after that game I went looking for some new sticks and was in for a rude awakening....

So here I am about twenty years later finally able to enjoy playing Persimmon. During the first round ( not so long ago) that I played persimmon I grinned from ear to every time I hit that driver... and I still do.

By now you can probably understand why I like the classic gear. However the reason I stick to playing it is because the bulk of courses I play are traditional courses and playing them with modern equipment put's me at a disadvantage. These courses are designed around traditional shot lengths, so play them with traditional gear.
Frankly It gives me a far better appreciation of what the course architect had in mind and how the course should be played, consequently I play smarter and score much better. Only last week I played a long par 4 with a sharp left dog leg. I played a 1 iron up to the apex of the dogleg then a 3 wood into the green... easy par !?!
I've seen countless guy's try and go over that dog leg with their tin can's and they always get in trouble, hit short get in trees or get over the dogleg and hit the tree's long.... Carrying a modern driver seems to have some how stopped people thinking about how to play a course properly. Let alone whether they actually have the skill to execute the shot.

Anyway we all know the master ball striker could go around that dog leg with his persimmon driver and balata ball!

My 2 cent's

J
[/quote]That is not so odd I have been known as recently as 5 years ago after switching to metals to put my Penna persimmon driver in the bag on certain courses to hit a small draw on certain holes. I did this in some mini tour events and people thought I was touched in the head for doing so. On other courses I would substitute my wife's 7 wood to use in certain draw sittuations it has a cheap Apollo senior flex in it and I can hit the prettiest 170 yard controlled draw with it. Even now if it is really windy I will pull my 3 wood out of the bag and substitute either my 985 or Eye2 1 iron I cant hit either like I used to but I can hit it quail high about 200 yds with the roll out

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1425420169' post='11070673']
]That is not so odd I have been known as recently as 5 years ago after switching to metals to put my Penna persimmon driver in the bag on certain courses to hit a small draw on certain holes. I did this in some mini tour events and people thought I was touched in the head for doing so. On other courses I would substitute my wife's 7 wood to use in certain draw sittuations it has a cheap Apollo senior flex in it and I can hit the prettiest 170 yard controlled draw with it. Even now if it is really windy I will pull my 3 wood out of the bag and substitute either my 985 or Eye2 1 iron I cant hit either like I used to but I can hit it quail high about 200 yds with the roll out
[/quote]

I can relate to what your saying about the 7 wood, l like x - stiff in damn near everything. Yet I've always liked 5 woods with a soft shaft, which I find it makes it easier to control soft landing fades.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

I've made this comment before. Playing with vintage clubs is just like a time machine. Walking the course with 5-7 clubs in a Sunday bag makes me feel like a young guy again. (I started playing golf with three clubs, 3W, 5I, and putter, bought with Christmas and birthday money.)

I play hickory also occasionally, don't really get that same feeling as with 1960's-70's clubs. Probably due the fact that I never hit a hickory until around 10 years ago.

Hopefully, winter is almost over.

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1425448434' post='11073927']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1425420169' post='11070673']
]That is not so odd I have been known as recently as 5 years ago after switching to metals to put my Penna persimmon driver in the bag on certain courses to hit a small draw on certain holes. I did this in some mini tour events and people thought I was touched in the head for doing so. On other courses I would substitute my wife's 7 wood to use in certain draw sittuations it has a cheap Apollo senior flex in it and I can hit the prettiest 170 yard controlled draw with it. Even now if it is really windy I will pull my 3 wood out of the bag and substitute either my 985 or Eye2 1 iron I cant hit either like I used to but I can hit it quail high about 200 yds with the roll out
[/quote]

I can relate to what your saying about the 7 wood, l like x - stiff in damn near everything. Yet I've always liked 5 woods with a soft shaft, which I find it makes it easier to control soft landing fades.

J
[/quote]My regular 7 wood which is a TMAG V-Steel has a UST Pro Force Gold 65 in it and it is tipped stiff. I mostly hit a high soft fade with it and can draw it. That little 7 wood of my wife's is a Cally Clone without the bore thru shaft and is shorter than mine but I can hit the prettiest draw with no effort with it

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1425269299' post='11058453']
I play classic clubs because I can. I currently own more than 50 sets of irons and probably more woods, persimmon and laminates. I have yet to spend more than $120.00 on any one set with most being purchased for less than $30.00. Often I will play a different set each time I play (although this past summer I played either a set of '72 Apex's (2-E, Precision Utility Wedge) or a a mixed set of Precisions and Sunbursts. I love the way the classic clubs feel. I have owned Epon's and currently have Epon forged Hogans and Miura forged MacGregors but still mainly play the stuff forged at either at Hoffman or Cornell in the United States. I have stainless irons from Spalding, MacGreger, and Hogan/Slazenger all of which feel as good as anything new feels to me. I also have several sets of '50's and '60's Mac's which are great irons. Enough background :-)

I have found I score within a couple of strokes no matter which Irons I use, so I use a lot of different sets. I guess I am vicariously living in each of the decades represented by the irons I use. I love hitting crisp, clean shots with a set of irons of the same models (or close) that Nelson, Hogan, Nicklaus, Demaret and Venturi (among countless others) used to win a bunch of tournaments and then to realize I can play with the same equipment they used, reinforcing the fact "it's the indian more than than the arrows."

As Eidolon stated in the opening post "THEY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD." I play for fun, and for me, playing with classic stuff is fun! Isn't the reason we all play to have fun? Suggestion, if you aren't having fun maybe you should step back, reevaluate, and remember why we play this game. If you haven't dipped you toe into playing classic clubs, now is a great time to give it a try! You will find a great resource here to help answer any questions about classic equipment and what may work best for each individual.
[/quote]

Great post. I use an old set of Wilson 1200 GE's. Absolutely smoke them better than any new irons. Friends try them and love them.

[i]Eidolon, welcome to WRX.[/i]
[i]It isn't often that I smile in complete understanding at a post from a newcomer, but I did today. [/i]
[i]I look forward to reading you often.[/i]

• Like 1

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1425269299' post='11058453']I play classic clubs because I can. I currently own more than 50 sets of irons and probably more woods, persimmon and laminates. I have yet to spend more than $120.00 on any one set with most being purchased for less than $30.00. Often I will play a different set each time I play (although this past summer I played either a set of '72 Apex's (2-E, Precision Utility Wedge) or a a mixed set of Precisions and Sunbursts. I love the way the classic clubs feel. I have owned Epon's and currently have Epon forged Hogans and Miura forged MacGregors but still mainly play the stuff forged at either at Hoffman or Cornell in the United States. I have stainless irons from Spalding, MacGreger, and Hogan/Slazenger all of which feel as good as anything new feels to me. I also have several sets of '50's and '60's Mac's which are great irons. Enough background :-)

As Eidolon stated in the opening post "THEY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD." I play for fun, and for me, playing with classic stuff is fun! Isn't the reason we all play to have fun? Suggestion, if you aren't having fun maybe you should step back, reevaluate, and remember why we play this game. If you haven't dipped you toe into playing classic clubs, now is a great time to give it a try! You will find a great resource here to help answer any questions about classic equipment and what may work best for each individual.[/quote]

Amen fellow enthusiast! I am going to try vintage clubs this year.

Good post.

I have been thinking about recreating the set I learned how to play with back in '68, but when I see the clubs on eBay they are too pricey for me. They weren't that good of clubs when I bought them brand new from the department store, but now just the laminated woods will set me back almost $100. Maybe I'd get the same experience using another 60's brand.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='joelight' timestamp='1428446625' post='11306539']
Hello all. I joined this site because of this post. I recently started using vintage woods instead of my metals and I really do enjoy them. I think it's something about the authenticity of it as opposed to the giant heads of today's golf world.

It feels like "real" golf to me.

Fairways and greens to all of you.
[/quote]

Welcome, Joe. I switched two seasons ago, haven't looked back. Would love to hear more of your experiences of vintage vs modern.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

• 2 months later...

Eidolon - I have never seen this topic before and you write very well. I too play older golf clubs. They feel good and it makes me feel good too. I play a set of Men's R/H 1956 HB PowerBilt Stainless Steel irons Model 4390R's . Lie's & Loft's are mine along with my swing weights(D2). New grips too. 1935 Johny Revolta punch dot National Model sand iron. 1952-56 HB PowerBilt persimmon wood P9 putter I rebuilt. 1949 MacGregor Tourney M43 spoon I rebuilt and refinished. and a 2005-07 Miura Precious Metals 390 cc driver(10 degrees of loft) I built. I just like the feel and how they play.
Max
Canada

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1435602792' post='11856268']
Eidolon - I have never seen this topic before and you write very well. I too play older golf clubs. They feel good and it makes me feel good too. I play a set of Men's R/H 1956 HB PowerBilt Stainless Steel irons Model 4390R's . Lie's & Loft's are mine along with swing weights. New grips too. 1935 Johny Revolta punch dot National Model sand iron. 1952-56 HB persimmon wood P9 putter I rebuilt. 1949 MacGregor Tourney M43 spoon I rebuilt and refinished. and a 2005-07 Miura 390 cc driver(10 degrees of loft) I built. I just like the feel and how they play.
Max
Canada
[/quote]

You really need to lose that driver Max. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.