American Club Kohler WI, Whistling Straits

I booked my first visit to Kohler for a weekend in May. I didn't have any buddies willing to drop the coin, so I'm taking my non-golfing girlfriend along. I'm playing Straits and Blackwolf-River with early AM tee times.

I have the following questions for those willing to lend some helpful insight

1.) Are there activities my girlfriend can find enjoyable when I golf in the morning? She has an eye for the yoga studio and spa already.

2.) What activities are there besides golf, eating, and spa that we should partake in? I see on the website that there are alot of family oriented activities, though we are both 30 with no kids.

3.) I'm really going here because I want to play Straits, and because my girlfriend likes vacations (who doesn't.) She supports my golfing habits fully, though I don't want this to be complete disaster with me ditching her alone every day, bored. Am I making a mistake here?

Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1425422798' post='11071061']
I booked my first visit to Kohler for a weekend in May. I didn't have any buddies willing to drop the coin, so I'm taking my non-golfing girlfriend along. I'm playing Straits and Blackwolf-River with early AM tee times.

1.) Are there activities my girlfriend can find enjoyable when I golf in the morning? She has an eye for the yoga studio and spa already.

2.) What activities are there besides golf, eating, and spa that we should partake in? I see on the website that there are alot of family oriented activities, though we are both 30 with no kids.

3.) I'm really going here because I want to play Straits, and because my girlfriend likes vacations (who doesn't.) She supports my golfing habits fully, though I don't want this to be complete disaster with me ditching her alone every day, bored. Am I making a mistake here?

Thanks
[/quote]

Kohler has a design center a few blocks away. If she's into cool bathrooms, etc. it's a great few hours. Some of the stuff there will blow you away...and cost way more than a custom set of clubs. You might seriously enjoy it as well. Most of the rooms at the main lodge have upgraded bathrooms. You will truly enjoy in room spas.

If she/you guys are into hiking there are some great trails. They also have some culinary programs but those might not be in place other than winter. If they're out there, it's fun. They also have fishing, archery, horse riding, trap shooting, bird watching and a bunch more. If you don't mind spending the money, you can have an awesome time alone and together. BTW, the spa is phenomenal.

There's a;very good Italian restaurant nearby in Sheboygan. I think it's called Stefano's.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Kohler is the one place that my wife has said she will go back [b]anytime [/b]that I want. :)

The spa is one of the best experiences she's ever had... and trust me she knows spas like I know golf courses... haha.

Dinner at the Immigrant Room and brunch were both exceptional. Just a really quaint, special area. Wonderful people... and the golf is ok too.

Can't say enough good things about our experience there. :)

You guys will have a great trip. She will enjoy the American club. I went with my dad over the summer strictly to play golf but it looked like there was a lot to do in the area. I would do a little research as I am sure there are some outdoors things you can do.

On a side note, I know it may be out of the question, but, if you get a chance to play 36 I would absolutely play the Irish course at WS. In my opinion, it was just like playing a less punishing, more fun version of Straits. Straits is punishing. It's like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for 4 and half hours.

Also, if she wouldn't mind doing it, she could always walk Straits with you and not play golf. It's a beautiful course. Some of the views are incredible. And if she is like my mom (who walked Arcadia Bluffs with us last summer), she can laugh at you when you get stuck in a bunker or have a baseball swing on a side hill lie.

As others have posted, Stefano's is great. My dad and I had a couple of very solid meals there. Also, if you get the opportunity, eat at River Wildlife. It's a private dining club that is near Blackwolf Run. The food, I believe, is all fresh game from the property. The restaurant itself is in a private cabin in the woods. There are some great views of the river that run along the property. Each table looked like it is only set one time for the entire night. When my dad and I ate there we were one of two tables. It's a really cool spot and will surely be a memorable meal. I should caution you, it's not cheap. I think the dish we each got was $50 with no sides. While it is private, if you are staying at the American Club I believe you can all them and they have some limited reservations they can get you. It's worth it for the experience alone.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1425564917' post='11082111']
You guys will have a great trip. She will enjoy the American club. I went with my dad over the summer strictly to play golf but it looked like there was a lot to do in the area. I would do a little research as I am sure there are some outdoors things you can do.

On a side note, I know it may be out of the question, but, if you get a chance to play 36 I would absolutely play the Irish course at WS. In my opinion, it was just like playing a less punishing, more fun version of Straits. Straits is punishing. It's like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for 4 and half hours.

Also, if she wouldn't mind doing it, she could always walk Straits with you and not play golf. It's a beautiful course. Some of the views are incredible. And if she is like my mom (who walked Arcadia Bluffs with us last summer), she can laugh at you when you get stuck in a bunker or have a baseball swing on a side hill lie.

As others have posted, Stefano's is great. My dad and I had a couple of very solid meals there. Also, if you get the opportunity, eat at River Wildlife. It's a private dining club that is near Blackwolf Run. The food, I believe, is all fresh game from the property. The restaurant itself is in a private cabin in the woods. There are some great views of the river that run along the property. Each table looked like it is only set one time for the entire night. When my dad and I ate there we were one of two tables. It's a really cool spot and will surely be a memorable meal. I should caution you, it's not cheap. I think the dish we each got was $50 with no sides. While it is private, if you are staying at the American Club I believe you can all them and they have some limited reservations they can get you. It's worth it for the experience alone.
[/quote]

That's interesting, do they allow non golfing walkers? She would totally be in to that.

Thanks for all the insight, feeling much better about the trip now

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1425422798' post='11071061']

Thanks
[/quote]

I see I am late to this party, but I will put my 2 cents worth in as well. I am in the exact same boat as you, love to golf, non-golfing wife. We have made the trip to the American Club and the golf courses the past two summers and are going again at the end of June. My wife loves it up there.

One piece of advice, don't short change walking the Straits course with you as something for her to do. The first year we went up, I played the Straits and my wife went to the design center (which she loves). The second trip, my wife decided to walk the Straits course with me because I kept telling her about the scenery and how 14 or the 18 holes are along the water...so she went along. And it poured rain for the first 7 holes.....she still loved it. Calls it the best part of the trip. Walking along with me and enjoying the scenery AND seeing how much fun I was having made her day. Plus, it allowed me to get a ton of pictures of the course without me having to carry a camera, etc.

But, yes, the design center would be fun for her and a great way to kill 3-4 hours (if she is like my wife). We haven't been to the spa, but there is plenty of good food around. The Bread & Bean in Sheboygan Falls is only about 5 minutes away from the American Club. We love Fay's Pizza in Sheboygan. It is just a pizza joint, nothing fancy, but great pizza. Plus there are signed tshirts from Bubba and Ricky Fowler hanging in the restaurant. The italian restaurant is really good, that everyone is talking about. Also the Horse and Plow (in the American Club) is good (get the cheese curds). After our raining walk around the Straits course, we treated ourselves to a dinner at the Whistling Straits restaurant. A bit pricey, but very nice. (our bill was $90 after tip and no alcohol).

By the way, the Whistling Straits courses are not right near the American Club (if that is where you are staying), so allow 20 minutes or so to get there. But, Blackwolf Run is only about a mile from the hotel.

One other thing activity that my wife and I both did, and enjoyed. We did the horseback riding.

Have fun, we are going up at the end of june.

Edit: my wife said I should mention Olivu 426. It is just a little shop in downtown Sheboygan, but has all sorts of homemade bath/beauty products. In fact, my wife ordered some birthday presents off of their website, she enjoyed it so much. Also, there are plenty of shops in downtown Sheboygan that she can park and walk around.

Stefano's was one of the best meals I've ever had period, not just in that area but anywhere. Beef carpaccio was excellent. It's a must for a trip to the area, especially if the GF likes fine food and drink.

2nd the suggestion to play the Irish Course if you can garner the time from the GF. Very entertaining track. One of the better opening par 4's of any course I've ever played. Excellent par 5's. Good fun all around.

As has been suggested, leave early for your tee time. It's a solid 20 mins away and kind of a zoo when you arrive, and it will take some time to check in, pay, get your caddie situated and get to the range.

Beautiful area though have fun!

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1425646558' post='11088931']

[/quote]

That's interesting, do they allow non golfing walkers? She would totally be in to that.

[/quote]

They most definitely do.

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1425646558' post='11088931']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not 100% positive, but, I don't imagine it being a issue. If its something she would want to do I would just call the course. My Mom has now walked a handful of high end destination courses (Arcadia Bluffs, Pebble Beach, Cypress Point, Kiawah) and it has never been a problem. I wouldn't think WS is any different.

[quote name='Phreddy' timestamp='1425564573' post='11082083']
Kohler was a great call, and I hope you both fully enjoy it. On the margin I think I prefer Erin Hills for the golf, but Erin Hills is NOT a couples place in any way.

Phred
[/quote]

It's kind of off topic but I agree, from a golf perspective I liked Erin Hills a lot more than WS. IMO it wasn't really close. WS has the views and the major championship history, but, I would play Erin Hills every time over WS. I walked off WS thinking it was a great track, one that I was very glad I played, one that has a lot of history and is very cool. But at the same time, I walked off it thinking I would never want to play there every day and really didn't have a burning desire to return. Erin Hills on the other hand, I felt like I could play every day and not get tired of it. I simply loved the layout and the course in general. I wanted to turn around and play it again. WS, I still don't feel the need to return and play it again.

But then again, I have never really loved Dye courses. I always love aspects of them but in general they are rarely my favorite.

Just a heads up - there are usually some great shoulder season deals to be had, including spring and fall challenges/tournaments. Also, if you can snag a package that doesn't require hotel stay you can decrease your cost even further by staying in Sheboygan or nearby. FWIW I think the rooms are better at the Inn at Wood Lake.

I'll be making a trip up to Kohler as well in early June with my wife, who is also a non golfer, and this thread has been greatly informative. My only question is that I know a lot of you stated that non golfers can walk with golfers, but how likely is it that I would be allowed on the course as a single? We are going during the week, and am hoping to get a mid morning tee time.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

[quote name='Soxfan21' timestamp='1425870282' post='11105711']
I'll be making a trip up to Kohler as well in early June with my wife, who is also a non golfer, and this thread has been greatly informative. My only question is that I know a lot of you stated that non golfers can walk with golfers, but how likely is it that I would be allowed on the course as a single? We are going during the week, and am hoping to get a mid morning tee time.
[/quote]

My guess is, you will have to play with others. Not as a single. But they usually have a lot of singles to pair up together. The first year I went, I played with a father/son pair and another single. This past year, it was just me and another single. (for what it is worth, you never really feel like you are stuck with other golfers). The caddies do a great job of making you feel like you are the only guy on the golf course. They are fantastic. And yes your wife will be allowed to walk along.

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1425423487' post='11071155']
Thanks guys. That is helpful.

My plan is to play Straits Saturday, doing activities Sunday, then play River before driving home.

Sounds like there is plenty to keep all happy.
[/quote] Kohler just came out with their April-May promotion from April 25-May 10 and you can play the Straits for $150, BW Run MV for $100, and the Irish and River for $70. Change your reservation to May 9-10, mention the April promotion and save some $$$ on golf.

[quote name='ckostrewa' timestamp='1426081386' post='11120825']

My plan is to play Straits Saturday, doing activities Sunday, then play River before driving home.

[/quote] Kohler just came out with their April-May promotion from April 25-May 10 and you can play the Straits for $150, BW Run MV for $100, and the Irish and River for $70. Change your reservation to May 9-10, mention the April promotion and save some $$$ on golf.
[/quote]

Good suggestion.

Not sure who is correct but just to clarify from the other thread:

[b]April 24* - May 10, 2015[/b]

[b]$70 The Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run[/b]
[b]$95 The River at Blackwolf Run[/b]
[b]$70 The Irish at Whistling Straits[/b]
[b]$150 The Straits® at Whistling Straits[/b]
[color=#282828]Per person plus tax[/color]

[quote name='ckostrewa' timestamp='1426084771' post='11121243']
Yep, you are correct with the numbers in the post from the other thread. The MV is $70 and $70 if you want to play the US Women's Open routing (I think it's a combination of the two courses). $95 for River course.
[/quote]

The U.S. Women's Open routing starts off with a fairway that is not on either course and hits to the green for #10 Meadow Valley. From there you play #11-18 on Meadow Valley for the front nine. The back nine consists of the first four holes on the river (#1-4) followed by the last five holes (#14-18). Hope that helps clarify.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[/quote]

Thanks. I have a promo for $300 at Straits. This is a trip for Memorial Day weekend so I'm not in a position to change dates, even though it's a good deal.

I just pry that they don't make us play off mats on Straits bc of the PGA. I hope they would tell me now if that were the case. I believe Pinehurst made people do that last year in May-June

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1426109219' post='11124027']

[/quote]

Thanks. I have a promo for $300 at Straits. This is a trip for Memorial Day weekend so I'm not in a position to change dates, even though it's a good deal.

I just pry that they don't make us play off mats on Straits bc of the PGA. I hope they would tell me now if that were the case. I believe Pinehurst made people do that last year in May-June
[/quote]

No worries on mats. Have never heard WS doing that.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1426083839' post='11121151']

[/quote]

Good suggestion.

Not sure who is correct but just to clarify from the other thread:

[b]April 24* - May 10, 2015[/b]

[b]$70 The Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run[/b]
[b]$95 The River at Blackwolf Run[/b]
[b]$70 The Irish at Whistling Straits[/b]
[b]$150 The Straits® at Whistling Straits[/b]
[color=#282828]Per person plus tax[/color]
[/quote]
[quote name='ckostrewa' timestamp='1426084771' post='11121243']
Yep, you are correct with the numbers in the post from the other thread. The MV is $70 and $70 if you want to play the US Women's Open routing (I think it's a combination of the two courses). $95 for River course.
[/quote]

Is there a LINK for the rates. I just looked at the website and I did not see these rates??

Get on their mailing list. Yes you get lots of stuff you'll never need, but you do then get links to these: http://www.americanclubresort.com/golf/spring-golf-specials
As well as heads up when their new packages and deals for the year come out.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.