2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Streamsong - Am I the Only One

Just got back from 4 days at Streamsong. We had great weather and a great trip but am I the only one that played the courses and said, its nice but what's all the hype about? The conditions on several of the tees (especially the par 3s) were poor, most of the holes are not memorable, and the bunkers are way too soft and every lie become a fried egg. I can see the options that each hole gives you, like the Old Course, but with all the bunkers around the greens many of the links style shot options are not available or due to the speed of the greens are not advisable. If I was planning my east coast trip I am thinking Kiawah and Pinehurst would trump a trip back to Streamsong. Am I the only one?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides. I only played the Red course, so I can't speak to Doak's work on the Blue. I do think it is wonderful that there is a links type experience on the east coast as it was my first time playing on the firm turf. The greens were super fast and they are true as can be and Coore/Crenshaw's bunkering is beautiful. I also think Coore/Crenshaw have reached revered status whereby from here on out, for the most part, it will be tough to critique any of their projects.

With that said, there is a "sameness" throughout the Red Course. Perhaps it is just the property more so than the design/routing, but I agree that very few holes jump out at you. I will go back next year and play the Blue Course and again if they continue to build, but I don't have any burning need to return to the Red Course.

I think Tom Lehman's Dunes course at the Prarie Club is better.

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1425489955' post='11076297']
Not exactly fired up to read this. We just booked a trip to Streamsong for late March. I hope I like it much better than you did.
[/quote]

I would not fret. It is an individual opinion, but I would never discourage anybody from going there and playing. It is still fantastic and remember we are debating very minor points regarding Streamsong.

[quote name='prsgtrman' timestamp='1425493472' post='11076723']
is streamsong the end all be all? no. are there two really good golf course and a great golf "feel" to the place? absolutely. would i play it again? yes but only b/c my in laws live kinda close. i wouldnt make a trip of it b/c other than golf there isnt enough to do(night time).
[/quote]

That is kind of my point. I had been dying to play both courses since they were both voted top 25 in the country for public access courses. After playing both 2x, I felt like it was a lot of fun and good golf but not much wow factor. If you are only willing to make a short trip to a place that has two top 25 courses, doesn't that mean they are somewhat overrated?

As for the feel, its a very modern facility. Its very different than a traditional golf club. There isn't really a pub only higher end restaurants, which are great but not your typical guy trip golf feel. Give me the feel of Pinehurst anytime with the history and more golf club feel.

While I've never played there I did go to college in Lakeland and have some friends that caddy there. I think the "wow factor" is that it's a links style course in Florida. It's almost impossible to find elevation changes like the ones found there along with the overall upkeep of the courses. I'm surprised to hear that some of the tees were chewed up.

I know that when Mosaic and KemperSports built this they wanted it to be for the high-end corporate golfer. I assume that is why there isn't a pub and anything that you'd expect for a typical golf trip.

Did you not go upstairs? There's a pub and holes in the floor where you can have putting contests even later into the evening. There is also the rooftop.

While Streamsong isn't like Bandon where every hole seems to be memorable, the golf is still truly fantastic. You have to be really creative to play the course and have to be able to hit bump and runs like Bandon. There aren't many complexes like it on the east coast. I'll go back there tomorrow.

Everyone has their own opinion but I strongly disagree with the OP. The red course is hands down one of the best courses I've played. Holes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 16, and 18 are all very memorable to me. I just played Kiawah this fall and I would still choose Red over it. And I loved Kiawah. Johnny no worries about your trip. You will love it!

I also disagree with the original poster, I thought both courses were unbelievably unique and fun. Given that they don't overseed and the grass is semi-dormant this time of year, it's not surprising that conditions are a bit spotty right now, but if it's only the tees that are spotty, who really cares, you're teeing the ball up anyway.

I agree with the OP. I have played there and stayed several times. They want to be a high end golf resort but getting high end help when you are 45 minutes away from civilization is impossible. It is a ghost town come June. My opinion is the golf course is good but out of place. Most employess have to drive 40+ miles each way and the summer season cannot keep them busy. They bill it as a walking course but it is a 7.5 mile walk with 100+ yards from green to tee. The practice facility is very nice, locker room is well equipt but not serviced, and caddies are knowledgeable. Is it a top 25 golf course, not in my opinion. I have played each course 4 and 5 times and cannot remember but a handful of holes. For Florida, it is "amazing" because they created dunes and elevation. What was not accounted for is summer downpours and run off. In summer there were several areas and bunkers that were under repair and crippled by lack of drainage. The beverage carts are stationary and not exactly pleasant. You will see the 2-3 times during the round. Pace of play is 4:30-5:00 on a good day in the morning.

The hotel is very nice and beyond bizarre. It is like The shining meets the USS enterprise. The rooms are great but food and beverage options are limited. The bar upstairs serves tapas and the restaurants downstairs are fairly formal. There is no place to grab an informal burger and beer after playing 36. Living in Orlando, it is hard to see this becoming a destination as there is nothing to do and seasonal due to heat and summer rain. Go once and check it out for yourself but if you want Bandon Dunes go to the NW.

I think they are going for an east coast Bandon style desination which won't happen. I haven't been there but some friends have and they all said it was fun and they thought the courses were nice but weren't impressed enough to go back especially with the lack of options for after golf. I know there are hills on streamsong which is rare for Floria but to people that live most places they are just mounds lol. I think for the right price I would go.

Even better go down to the Doral resort, unreal now and right in miami for after golf activites ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Played it last spring. I think the biggest issue is that it can in no way live up to the hype and many will feel disappointed after playing it.

Nice course, bad (or you can say unique) location, quirky service in some areas....sell it to me as that and I'd probably leave happy.

Both courses are top 25 in US, 5+ stars service, end all be all golf destination.....sell it to me as that and I'm leaving disappointed.

My other problem is that it has no history. Why do people play torrey or sawgrass or have St. Andrews as their bucket list course? History! Try to make tiger's putt at torrey. Hit to the island green like you've seen so many pros try on tv at sawgrass. Walk over the Swilcan bridge at St. Andrews. Etc.

Well , it has no history...because it just opened. I think there are a few things people mentioned here that if they turned out to be true, I would hold against them. But not having history isnt one of them.

Its not like Bandon has 150 years of history behind it either and they only had one course for the first few years? Obviously that was back before a lot of online forums existed but I can pretty much guarantee the facilities and such that they have now weren't all as great on Day 1 or even Year 1 that the resort opened.

OP, I wouldnt worry one minute about it. I still cant wait for our trip. For $260/nt for a room/round - you cant get near that at Kiawah, Doral or any of the other courses people mentioned.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

That's why it was my opinion and not a debate. For me, history plays a part of it. Even being open before it shows up on a top courses you can play list would count as some sort of 'history'. I think it was over hyped too soon. I also think it is a pretty nice place. I also think it can, and hopefully will, get better with time. My experience didn't match expectations but that could be my fault for expecting too much.....I hope you enjoy it.

Hey....another Streamsong thread. Awesome!

What I don't understand is why it gets so much positive and negative attention. It's a great facility to some......very good to others, and others feel the need to pan it as over-rated. Maybe it is over-rated, if you're the type that gives a s*** about ratings, which I am not. I enjoyed it a lot when I played the Red course. It was a great day, which is basically what I'm after when I play golf. Sure, I love history and walking Pinehurst 2 where Hogan, Nicklaus, Jones, etc all walked is an incredible experience. But not every round on every course can equal that. I'm glad I don't have standards that high and can enjoy new facilities and courses for what they are.

And yes, Streamsong is overpriced, but I spend money on stupid crap all the time. That didn't bother me in the slightest when I played there. I loved it, but in no way would I compare it to Pinehurst.

You aren't the only one. Ten of us from the Orlando area traveled twice now to play both courses, and won't be back event if they build 3 & 4. The layouts are interesting and unique at least for Florida but pricey as is the lodge if you stay there. We have enough here at home at half the cost and without spending three hours round trip, not to mention being holed up in the middle of nowhere with the closest semblance of a town 45 minutes away.

[quote name='rrkman' timestamp='1425560038' post='11081739']
Played it last spring. I think the biggest issue is that it can in no way live up to the hype and many will feel disappointed after playing it.
[/quote]

It doesn't generate as much hype as Bandon, and Bandon doesn't get many (or any) disappointed visitors.

A course can live up to any amount of hype - as long as it has the course quality to support that hype.

[quote name='MikeMcM' timestamp='1425589923' post='11085041']
You aren't the only one. Ten of us from the Orlando area traveled twice now to play both courses, and won't be back event if they build 3 & 4. The layouts are interesting and unique at least for Florida but pricey as is the lodge if you stay there. We have enough here at home at half the cost and without spending three hours round trip, not to mention being holed up in the middle of nowhere with the closest semblance of a town 45 minutes away.
[/quote]

I don't get this. Bandon is in the middle of nowhere. Same for a lot of courses in Ireland. Everyone keeps mentioning the cost, but that doesn't matter to the course. Does the course live up to it? There are plenty of options but few on the east coast as good as that place to me.

Just got back from 4 days at Streamsong. We had great weather and a great trip but am I the only one that played the courses and said, its nice but what's all the hype about? The conditions on several of the tees (especially the par 3s) were poor, most of the holes are not memorable, and the bunkers are way too soft and every lie become a fried egg. I can see the options that each hole gives you, like the Old Course, but with all the bunkers around the greens many of the links style shot options are not available or due to the speed of the greens are not advisable. If I was planning my east coast trip I am thinking Kiawah and Pinehurst would trump a trip back to Streamsong. Am I the only one?

You've started one of the stranger threads that I've read here.

Re: "...am I the only one that played the courses and said, its nice but what's all the hype about?". Of course not, but the same could be said about St Andrews. I've met plenty of golfers who have played the Old Course, the New course and other links in the East Neuk of Fife and have come away unimpressed. Have you ever played a true links before? If so, what did you think? This style of course is not for everyone and for some it takes some adjustment and can be acquired taste. Even the great Bobby Jones didn't "get it" the first time.

Re: "but with all the bunkers around the greens many of the links style shot options are not available or due to the speed of the greens are not advisable" This sounds like we didn't play the same courses and leads me to guess that you haven't played many links. The Old Course and many other links have as many bunkers in similar proximity to the greens as Streamsong and equally fast greens. Isn't the Road hole bunker a feature that makes that hole great? There is hardly a hole among the 36 at Streamsong that you can't bump and run the ball to the green. Other than a few par 3's, I can't recall any holes that you need to fly the ball to the green. The approaches at Streamsong provide more options than virtually any other course in Florida. You didn't mention the greens which are among the most interesting on the East coast

I can't argue about the cost and remoteness being an impediment that will prohibit many people from visiting (or from visiting often.) For those posters who criticize Streamsong because it lacks a "Wow" factor, I'd ask what courses in Florida that are not on the Ocean or the Gulf have a "Wow" factor? I appreciate a good view and scenery as much as the next guy,and I love to photograph courses with those "wow" views, but I don't judge a golf course by its vistas. I judge it by the layout and in my opinion the two courses at Streamsong are as strong as any public access courses in Florida.

Re: "If I was planning my east coast trip I am thinking Kiawah and Pinehurst would trump a trip back to Streamsong" Kiawah has one great course and three okay courses. Other than the Ocean views, both courses at Streamsong are comparable to the Ocean Course at Kiawah, and head and shoulders above the others. Granted there are more touristy things to do nearby to Kiawah, but when I choose my golf destinations my primary focus is on the golf courses rather than the other activities and amenities. The Ocean Course is even more expensive than Streamsong for most of the year. Pinehurst is a great choice. Lots of excellent golf (not just at Pinehurst Resort, but in the surrounding area as well.), but even on #2 I don't think you'd say there are many holes that have "wow" visuals. There, like streamsong, it's about the greens and the strategy of each hole and #2 costs even more than Streamsong. I note that one response suggested Doral over Streamsong. IMHO, the courses at Doral don't compare to Streamsong (although I haven't been there since Gil Hanse re-did the Blue Monster). I'd play Streamsong 9 times out of 10 vs Doral based on the Golf.I'd go to Doral if I wanted a couples' vacation where the wives could go to the spa and my tennis friends could play, but for fun golf, give me Streamsong.

The "wow" at Streamsong is in the holes, not the views or the hotel. I think if you did a hole by hole comparison with any other 36 + hole public access facility, Streamsong would beat the vast majority, with Bandon and St Andrews, being among the few that would beat it

13507942503_16bc60e77d_c.jpg

Streamsong Red #1 from tee r

13507930653_e1c34e1c24_c.jpg

Streamsong Red #4 short par 4 from tee zoomed r

13508183354_45ba65c536_c.jpg

Streamsong Red #6 par 3 r

13507787605_0871250eeb_c.jpg

Streamsong Red #18 left side of fairway - 180 yards out r

15873941689_624d2072cd_c.jpg

Streamsong Blue #7 par 3 95 yards from front tee P1060336 (2)

15873932789_4988003a8a_c.jpg

Streamsong Blue #9 par 5 from tee P1060343 (2)

16060000705_9d2f770a54_c.jpg

Streamsong Blue #13 fairway slants left - tricky pitch to fast green P1060361 (2)

16058029151_a8dcf36424_c.jpg

Streamsong Blue #17 a great par 5

Sabram... nice review and the RED course is nice. But I agree with the OP.

I have played the red course and I also walked away thinking it was "Decent" and thought... "Not sure what the hype is all about".

You asked the OP if he had played dunes courses, which is a good point. I myself ([i]Thanks to clients and a generous golf course owner[/i]) have been very fortunate to play two of the best dunes courses in the country ([i]or at least by rating[/i]).

Sand Hills,.Ballyneal...ooo and Chambers Bay So would I say it compares to those, nope.... not even close. Now I played Chambers Bay when it was only a few years old. Would I play it now. [b]NO[/b] ... not for what they charge out of state players.

Sand Hills and Ballyneal, was the service good? In what has to be the two of the most remote locations around... [b]YEP[/b]. Beyond expectation. I understand you go for the golf courses, which is what I do also, but when you pay what they are asking there is a level of service expected.

Its obvious in your post you feel Streamsong has some of the best courses around .. and like I noted the RED is decent and it may be to you one of the best but its not for everyone. Do I think it was worth the money, Not really as I paid my own way at the above mentioned courses and they were less. ([i]Not sure not on Sand Hills now and I know Chambers Bay is over priced now[/i]...)

I will agree that you mentioned some have played St Andrews and walked off thinking little of it. I figure I would be one of those from a course perspective. Seeing it on TV it just does not seem to be appeal to me. History of the game different story. Would be the only reason I would go play it..

Funny thing on golf courses everyone has a different "EYE" to what they see. I think the Wilderness Club is one of the better ones I have played and yet it is not rated very high, not even in Montana's top 10. Yet the Olde Works... yea it was good, but I was not overly impressed. Locally I have played Cherry Hills numerous times ([i]clients again[/i]) and it is a good course but I also find it to be just a good course. Tough greens I will give it that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Streamsong and have been back 3 times. I enjoyed the lodge and food just as much as I did the course. Although, the Red is the players course, and the back 9 from the tips is a beast...I enjoyed the Blue just as much! Number 7 Par 3 over the water is just beautiful. I do agree that a lot of the traps are very soft and that some of the caddies are there just for a paycheck...i see myself going back every year.
I have been there different times of the year and have experienced different course conditions. Most of the time it has been great! Go again, maybe it will grow on you.[attachment=2687855:stan3.jpg]

I played it, and my results were mixed. I played it in February, my game was crap, couldn't drive the ball in the fairway, chipping was awful. As far as courses go, it is a great course in an unbelievable setting. It is costly and had I been plaint out of the fairways would have enjoyed it better. For the $ I'd rather have a driver fitting and played a mediocre course or two. My $.02

[quote name='Subpar7' timestamp='1427826414' post='11254311']
I enjoyed Streamsong and have been back 3 times. I enjoyed the lodge and food just as much as I did the course. Although, the Red is the players course, and the back 9 from the tips is a beast...I enjoyed the Blue just as much! Number 7 Par 3 over the water is just beautiful. I do agree that a lot of the traps are very soft and that some of the caddies are there just for a paycheck...i see myself going back every year.
I have been there different times of the year and have experienced different course conditions. Most of the time it has been great! Go again, maybe it will grow on you.[attachment=2687855:stan3.jpg]
[/quote]

I definitely plan to go again. It's a great place, was just curious I other thought it was a little over hyped. I am a huge Pinehurst fan so will probably go back there first. But I am certainly keeping Streamsong on the list.

[quote name='edresnick' timestamp='1425496422' post='11077059']
[quote name='prsgtrman' timestamp='1425493472' post='11076723']
is streamsong the end all be all? no. are there two really good golf course and a great golf "feel" to the place? absolutely. would i play it again? yes but only b/c my in laws live kinda close. i wouldnt make a trip of it b/c other than golf there isnt enough to do(night time).
[/quote]

That is kind of my point. I had been dying to play both courses since they were both voted top 25 in the country for public access courses. After playing both 2x, I felt like it was a lot of fun and good golf but not much wow factor. If you are only willing to make a short trip to a place that has two top 25 courses, doesn't that mean they are somewhat overrated?

As for the feel, its a very modern facility. Its very different than a traditional golf club. There isn't really a pub only higher end restaurants, which are great but not your typical guy trip golf feel. Give me the feel of Pinehurst anytime with the history and more golf club feel.
[/quote]

I have never been to Streamsong, but here are my thoughts on the topic, focusing on two things:
- Individual motivations, values and expectations
- use of the term "wow factor."

During the recent golf boom period (mid 80's to mid 2000's), a lot of golf courses were built where the "game of golf" was not really the primary focus. Courses were built to sell real estate or resort rooms and as such, an eye-catching visual presentation was needed to attract business. In many cases, the courses were sited on the less desirable property, leaving designers to deal with severe terrain that wasn't always golf friendly. Turning a negative into a positive, the spotlight began to shift from the game to the wow factor and a lot of courses were designed that made for stunning photographs. Dramatic elevation changes, bold hazards, beautiful landscaping, waterfalls, signature holes, etc. In many cases however, the actual playability and golf values were overlooked. High slope ratings became a marketing stratagem. The result: a lot of very visually attractive courses that were damn hard to play and not very fun.

Somewhere along the way, a handful of visionary developers and designers started a paradigm shift toward the idea of building golf courses for playing golf, using property ideally suited for golf. Perhaps one could look at Dick Youngscap and the Sand Hills Golf Club as a beginning of this shift. A site perfect for golf, but miles from nowhere. And the use of a relatively unknown architect, Bill Coore. Then came Bandon, and Ballyneal and so on. Some have called it a renaissance in golf where some of the traditional values of golf were rediscovered. The focus is on golf and the game and less on the peripheral clap trap that distract from the actual golf experience.

So perhaps that is what you are experiencing. Doak and Coore are designers that don't aim for WOW, their goals are playable and interesting GOLF. The focus of the Streamsong resort is golf, not nightlife or glitter.

Now that speaks to one's individual motivations, values and expectations. Perhaps one seeks the more traditional experience where the party is part of the equation in which case, the lack of nightlife may disappoint. On the other hand, if one's interest is more on the golf experience, an early rise and 36 holes of walking golf may not sustain a desire to continue with a late night out.

I think it's helpful to put value on these places for what they are, not knock them for what they are not. Taking a statement like "i wouldnt make a trip of it b/c other than golf there isnt enough to do(night time)" as a confirmation that the place is "overrated," to me misses the point of what places like Streamsong are all about.

I for one, embrace the paradigm shift.