Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golfing everyday?

Comments

• rcain1usrcain1us Members Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    craniac76 wrote:
    mguhler wrote:

I don't like golf enough to play everyday

Kinda agree.... especially if you play at the same course every single day.....

Golfnow.com

• SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if I could I would go broke . The cost would be insane unless your a member but even at that I can't afford to it.
  • craniac76craniac76 Members Posts: 2,456

I work 7-3:30 generally and I work near my club. No issue getting in 9+ holes in after work.

Ok if you play that late in the afternoon, for 9 holes what time are you gonna be done?
  • butch33611butch33611 Members Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    I work the overnight shift, 10PM TO 6 AM. In bed by 7, up at 2. Im at the course by 3. I can get 9 in and be home by 5;30 in time for dinner. I could do this everyday but it depends on a lot of things. My kids are grown and gone but I still have the yard work to do and other chorse. I try and get all my stuff done on the weekends because I dont play on saturday or sunday. My days off are Tues, Wed Those days are for golf. 18 or 36 depending my playing partners.

On occasion I wake up and see a text message....see you at 3. I wasnt going to play.....but here I go.

Summers are short in Minnesota. You have to take advantage when you can.
    Handicap 7.7
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX
    craniac76 wrote:

I work 7-3:30 generally and I work near my club. No issue getting in 9+ holes in after work.

Ok if you play that late in the afternoon, for 9 holes what time are you gonna be done?

What does that matter? I doubt he has a curfew.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • jrich61820jrich61820 The putter wisper(er) Members Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    craniac76 wrote:

I'll shoot out to my club after I finish the day teaching and can walk 9 holes and be home by 5:30-6. Cook dinner for the family, all's good:)
    Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
    Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
    Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
    Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
    Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1
  • mspeedpikamspeedpika Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I bartended after college at a country club that also owned the public course next to it. I played for free, had my own cart key and played 18 everyday and 36 on my days off for three years well at least when weather was ok in Pittsburgh. I teach now so I get to play alot of golf but not like I did then.
  • RedsReds Members Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im single with no kids. I have a membership at a club and my season lasts from Apr-Nov. I play 6 days a week and sometimes 7. Absolutely love the game. I think I practice more than play. I remember being a junior and my dad dropping me off at the course before he went to work at 6:30am. He would pick me back up at 3pm. I did that 7 days a week and every summer for 6 years. My cap was down to 6 back then. Im 29 now and about 5 years ago I started my current routine. In the winter I get a range membership at a place 15min from where I work. I hit balls or practice putting about 4 to 5 days a week until the season starts. This winter it has helped. My cap is 11 but I just got back from Myrtle Beach yesterday and had 5 rounds of 83,80,82,79 and 81. I was pleased with how I played and was pretty consistent.
  • Michael C.Michael C. Things that make you go hmmm Members Posts: 4,490 ✭✭
    I work overnights. My kids are grown. I buy a pass to the local munis for $600.

I play 3-5 days during the week after work. Sometimes 9 others 18. Most of the

time I'm the first one off and play by myself half the time. I can hit two balls

into the green or throw a few in a bunker and get a little extra practice. I walk

80% of the time. Occasionally I will play other courses around the area just to

mix it up a bit. My season usually runs March to November. I don't play too often

on weekends but I will go to the range on Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes both.

LOL.
    The difference between stupidity
    and genius is genius has its limits

Lifetime Member (#4) of the OGA as a non-rules official
  • BorssBorss Members Posts: 135
    I'm 43 and am a web developer. My wife and I work from home and we own the business. I can play and work late if I want.
  • baconkierbaconkier THE BACON Members Posts: 26
    I drive 12 hours, at night, driving cab till 5:30 AM. I wake up at 1, out the door by 2, hit the range bt 2:30, practice for an hour, off to work. As the sun comes up earlier, I will hit the course for 9 when they open before I go to bed. 18 every day off.
  • landolakeslandolakes Members Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 48 ... Probably play 3 rounds per week, but do something at the club the other 3 days.. Practice for 45-1hr, or play 4-5 holes
  • mguhlermguhler In the EtherMembers Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rcain1us wrote:

craniac76 wrote:
    mguhler wrote:

Kinda agree.... especially if you play at the same course every single day.....

Golfnow.com

No thanks, I am happy playing my private club and reciprocals. I just don't feel the need to play every day. Heck, I haven't played since the end of October and it will be a week or two until the snow is gone. Plenty of other things I can do.
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Yellow HZRDS 6.0 65g
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • Maddog10Maddog10 Members Posts: 791
    I'm married, under 30 and the past two years there have been several weeks that I play at least 9 holes every day during the work week and 18 both days on the weekends. A usual week was 5 times to account for missing a day due to weather or having other plans. This year my wife and I have our first child due in late spring so I'm guessing my time for golf is going to decrease quite significantly.
  • GameDayDogGameDayDog Members Posts: 380
    butch33611 wrote:

I work the overnight shift, 10PM TO 6 AM. In bed by 7, up at 2. Im at the course by 3. I can get 9 in and be home by 5;30 in time for dinner. I could do this everyday but it depends on a lot of things. I dont play on saturday or sunday. My days off are Tues, Wed Those days are for golf. 18 or 36 depending my playing partners.

On occasion I wake up and see a text message....see you at 3. I wasnt going to play.....but here I go.

This is me with a few exceptions.. I work 10 pm to 6 am, but my days off are Sunday & Monday nights.. I'm single and my son lives with his mom but we're great co-parents. He's in after-care program at school, so we have until 6pm to pick him up. I try to tee off by noon so I can pick him up around 5.

I'd play everyday, but that's a stretch on the budget.. I do love playing during the week while everyone is in school or at work.. I hate playing on weekends when the prices get jacked up. I don't mind going out as a single or getting paired up, but I'd rather play golf with my buddies.
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in high school / college the local course had a Jr. Membership for the summer for Mon-Fri for $275 (late 1990's/early 2000's.) I played every day, often 36 holes. Love it. But mostly because I could play in 2-3 hours easy. We did 18 in less than 90mintues once, like 88min. That was flying. But it honestly took no thought to hit the driver, knew the club getting up to it, never had to read a break. Just knew it. Played to about a 1 handicap by the end of the summer.

I didn't get tired. I rarey warmed up much more than a few putts and only if there was someone on the tee in front of us. All the old guys would let us go through because they knew they'd never see us again. Course had a deal for a hot dog & a soda so we'd go out at like 9am, finish by 11:30, get a quick lunch, head out again. I'd wake up at like 8am, play 36, be home before 3 to do enough chores to keep my parents off my back and have enough time to get showered up and ready for dinner & going out with friends. That was the life!
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked 11-7a for the city while my wife was in pharmacy school, Sunday and Monday's where my days off. I'd get off work and go directly to the course and play 18 or more then come home and sleep a few and wake up around 630-7. I'd take sat and Sunday off from playing, Monday I'd probably play 36 or more in the summer and then hit balls all afternoon. I miss it, but this was before we had kids. I love golf and practicing, I could literally play and practice 7 days and not get sick of it.
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mguhler wrote:

I'm retired and love golf but I don't want to play everyday. Since I have been retired, 5 days is the max I have played. And I was tired of it at the end of the week. 3-4 times a week is the sweet spot for me.
    My senior bag.......
    Cleveland SL290  9 * driver stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood  reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6,7 hybrids reg
    Ping G 7-pw(power lofts) CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 52, 58* reg
    Ping anser g5i putter
  • BobbyDPlaysGolfBobbyDPlaysGolf Members Posts: 698
    I have a crazy schedule. I can have two weeks off or work two weeks with no days off, 10+ hour days. When I have two weeks off though, I will play everyday. For me when I play everyday, I play much better. I get comfortable with the shapes I'm hitting and can commit better. I've never been able to get that going if I'm only playing maybe 1-2 times a week. On the flip side, I know a plus player who plays 1 to maybe 2 time a week and still maintains a + handicap. I wish I knew his secret.
    Why play it safe?
  • Tcdmb36Tcdmb36 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    My wife and I moved into a development that is built around a local county course...it doesn't have a range but I can stop before heading home any day of the week for a quick 9.
  • LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Don't have kids. That's it.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,940 ClubWRX

@LongGoneDawg said:
    Don't have kids. That's it.

You had to dig deep to find this thread Sir!

• Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first two clubs I played had a number of guys that played every day. One guy owned a convenience store, he'd get to work at 7am, work until the lunch rush ended, and then go to the course. Played 18 holes every day. He'd go back to the store afterwards to close up. Another guy owned some sort of custom woodworking business, semi-retired, he'd play every day. The clubs I worked at always had a handful of guys who would play every day. I played close to every day when I was in high school, probably 320+ rounds a year. I doubt I'll every get back to that level, but in two weeks, I'll have all my kids in school for the first time, so I'll be able to play quite a bit. I mean, in September, between days off and working before/after shifts, I could potentially play 24 days, but there's no way that will actually happen.

• Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

real estate or work for yourself doing financial advising/CPA. just never set appointments in the mornings and theres no requirement to work 8 hours straight t or a 9-5. as long as you get the amount of work done you eed to make the money you want you can set your schedule pretty much however you want.

• Tepop84Tepop84 Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

I could play everyday in the summer. I’d love to get on a night shift so I wouldn’t have to worry about the pm leagues mon-Thur

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Self-employed, kids grown & club member. Practice is not in my vocabulary and golf season is May-October, so yes try 4X/wk and generally first off or end of the day. If club was 5 minutes away i'd play more......

• msgmsg Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 7:22pm #58

I did that before in 2012. I worked from 3:00 pm to 12: 00 am. I golfed in the morning almost every day when I got a membership cheap. I never got better though because I did not have an idea on what to do to improve back then, but I did have fun since it was my first year of golfing again since 2002.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are single and have some control over your work schedule I can see this being too hard to do. Most of my round stake 3.5hours play in a group. If I went out in the evening or first thing on the weekend I could walk in 2.5hrs easily.

• SammyShafSammyShaf Members Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 2, 2019 12:58pm #60

I worked at courses and big box golf retail during my 20s. While at courses, I would play before or after work everyday. While in retail, I would practice before work and play after. I loved it, for I had great relationships with courses and never had to pay for anything except beers. Now that I am married and out of the industry I do not get to play anywhere near as often. The brightside now is that I have a 2 and 7 year old who have an interest in the game. I score better playing less often and appreciate it much more. I hope my retirement gig envolves marshalling so that I can go back to overdosing on week day morning golf.

Post edited by SammyShaf on
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I play just about every day for the entire golf season, but I've got the perfect storm of conditions to do so. My wife also plays, and we live less than 5 minutes from our course. I work as a software engineer, and work from home full time, as does my wife. As long as I keep delivering projects ahead of time, and answer messages when I get them, my boss doesn't care what kind of hours I work. A lot of times I'll slip out mid-day for a quick 9, and every day after work, the wife and I play, except on our league nights. Weekends I'll play 18 with the guys and another 9 or 18 with the wife after.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file