2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Country Club Members - Do you get bored of the course?

I currently play a muni course 2-3 times a month and my game is pretty consistent to a point where I generally have the same tee club and the same approach shot on most holes. After a couple rounds of this, I find it a bit boring and predictable.

I was thinking of joining the local country club and was wondering if you guys ever get bored playing the same course most of the time?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a CC member, but I work part-time at my home course.

When I first got the job I was concerned that I would get tired of playing the same course all the time. I was used to playing somewhere different every week.

But here I am almost 8 years later and I still love my course. For me, the great thing about it is its become my home away from home. I know everyone there and I can show up and play anytime and go out with someone I know. I now have a hard time tearing myself away to play anywhere else.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yes. It does get boring. Hard to get the blood up about playing a course you've played literally 500 times before.

BUT

Being a member at a country club or public course usually affords you membership to a local golf association. Which means you are eligible to participate in things like team matches and association organized events like Amateur, Mid-Am, Open Championhips etc. This will give you an opportunity to go out and play some great local courses both public and private. More often than not, the championships proper are held at pretty high level courses so if you qualify you get a chance to play some great tracks. 2 years ago my associations Am. Championship was held at Aronimink (AT&T National course) and 3 years ago the associations Open Championship was held at Pine Valley, no explanation needed there.

So yes, your home course will get boring after a while, but joining a club really opens up a ton of opportunity's outside of that home base.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Many private clubs have reciprocal agreements with other local clubs.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yes. But I have elected to trade the routine of a CC course for the ease of getting a tee time and a much much improved pace of play. There are some great muni and public/private courses in my area, and I look forward to a round or two on them every year, but if it is a weekend and you do manage to get on those courses you have committed to a long long day. I save them for the week days when I can ease out the back door of the office early. I chose a club that is convenient to both my home and my work and as a result I play a lot more golf without the gymnastics of trying to figure out where I can get on.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I am not bored of my course, of the 180 rounds I have played over the last two years 150 have been at my home course. Start playing cash games, tournaments and leagues and even mini-golf courses would maintain their appeal.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

I don't get bored of my course because there are still holes that mind^#^* me.

However, I win sometimes and the course win sometimes, so it is a challenging course. If a course is getting boring then scoot back a tee or move up a tee. Either way it will put different clubs in your hands.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I've been a member at my current club for 3+ years. I was a member at another club for 5 years before that. I didn't get bored with playing the same course most of the time. I still tried to play a different court at least 1 time every 1-2 months. Most of the time, I preferred my home course over any other that I played. Plus, I like to switch up what tees I play from at my home club.

My best advice is to play the course prior to joining and really try to discern whether it's a nice enough course (both layout wise and upkeep wise) that you think that you'd like to play over and over again. The majority of country club golf course are usually very nice and well kept, however there are a few out there that are not and not worth the price.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Do get bored of the course itself from time to time especially in winter when I sometimes would rather be elsewhere. But that's mainly due the fact my course is flat and the holes look similar. Even if I was a member of Augusta I'd get bored after a while.

If I was a member at somewhere like Crans sur sierre, I doubt I'd ever get bored. There are some views you can never get tired of.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1425910065' post='11107565']
I am planning to play a round at the country club to try it out. Anything I should keep in mind while playing it? I was thinking of seeing how varied the tee boxes are and if they are at different angles, etc.
[/quote]

Keep track of several holes and how many ways you could play the hole but still make par?

A course gets boring if it has a lot of holes that 1) don't require any imagination and 2) force you to play the hole in a specific way.

As a quick example - a flat island green par 3 with maybe 150 carry with no wind and no bailouts. You're either on the green with a 2 putt par; or your in the water, hitting 3 from the drop zone. That can get boring quickly.

Compare that to #8 at Pebble Beach. There are a multitude of ways to play that hole.

I belonged to a private club through my company but only played about 30 rounds/year, about half of them at the club. The course is a great Charles Banks course and I never tired of it. Now, when retirement comes I have mixed feelings about joining a club since there are so many great courses in the NJ/NY Metro that you can play during the week for reasonable prices. I like the variety, but even now I have a regular course where I play more than half my rounds. Perhaps for the comraderie, club tournaments, and social activities I would consider a club, but I do not anticipate needing one to have good gold.

[quote name='Emthree' timestamp='1425911527' post='11107673']
Do get bored of the course itself from time to time especially in winter when I sometimes would rather be elsewhere. But that's mainly due the fact my course is flat and the holes look similar. [b]Even if I was a member of Augusta I'd get bored after a while.[/b]

If I was a member at somewhere like Crans sur sierre, I doubt I'd ever get bored. There are some views you can never get tired of.
[/quote]

There's a good way to invalidate any opinion contained in a response.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I played at a private course for almost 10 years. Did it get boring? Somewhat. But the advantage was that I could go to another one of the private courses in the area and play there for the price of a tee time at a public course. Also, I would just tee it up on a different set of tees or go play using only a 3 wood and no driver or mix things up that way. The one thing I got tired of quickly were some of the more arrogant golfers who would run around like it was their personal course and everyone was lucky to be on the grounds with them. Then I took their money!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I belong to one of the best public courses in the US and there hasnt been a time since I joined back in July where I said to myself "man this course is boring."

It's a tough course, which I think is why I havent been bored.

I play a lot of tournaments during the year at different courses so its always nice to see that my course is better than some of the private courses in the area.

one of the biggest reasons i haven't joined a club is i feel i would get tired pretty quickly playing the same course every weekend. i can see why those who have the means would join a private club, but joining a public club would be expensive compared to what your options would be otherwise.

having the option to play any course in the area is pretty big perk compared to feeling locked in to one course. i say feeling only because if you pay the money to join you'd feel like you were wasting it if you go somewhere else and pay. the biggest benefit to a membership would be getting tee times in the morning on weekends. last year i played over 20 different courses. i can't imagine playing same one all season with maybe a couple others throughout the summer.

it doesn't help that to break even on golf you have to play 50+ rounds at most courses.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I live in Orlando, there's literally hundreds of nice courses and practice areas within an hr or two.

I can't imagine paying to lock myself into one primary location.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I do get bored with mine, thats why I try to play a different course at least once a month. Luckily we have a pretty good money game about 3 times a week that at least keeps you interested. I try to play the black tees a couple times a month just to change it up a bit, but that said, at my course the blues and the tips aren't that much different.

TM M3 - Diamana D+
TM M3 13° - Diamana D+
TM M1 3HL - Diamana D+
Miura ICL-601 18°- Crazy STP
Miura CB 57 - Monaco TX
Miura WS 53° & 59° - Monaco TX
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB1 DASS / Miura KM-005 / Nike Origin B2-01 / TM Kia Ma Daytona / Yes Callie Fc

First off, you'll never fully justify private club membership financially. You can get close, but you will still find a way to say you could have played less. I don't look at it as playing the same course as I consider playing the same course as my tradeoff for:

-easy to get on the course. You're a member, with the exception of events, or a ladies league or something, they will find a way to get you on the course.
-Practice. Not just the range, but they will likely have a short game area, and do not discount the ability to go out and play 2-3-4 holes.
-Camraderie. It is cool when you can walk up on a busy range and you know most people and they know you. Plus, if you're looking to play, you're far more likely to get invited to join a less than fourball than you would be at a public course. Most of my friends not at the course don't play golf, so I would either be playing alone or not playing. While it's fine, it's also nice when someone is willing to make a tee time for you.
-Motivation. You've paid your dues for the year. Saturday morning comes along, it's cloudy, a bit windy and there may be a little rain. If I'm heading to a public course and paying a green fee, I'm calling them up, cancelling, and rolling over. Whereas I'm getting out there with my membership. And I'm a better player for it.

Those are the main things I find that outweigh the fact I'm "playing the same course."

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1425915075' post='11108031']
I played at a private course for almost 10 years. Did it get boring? Somewhat. But the advantage was that I could go to another one of the private courses in the area and play there for the price of a tee time at a public course. Also, [b]I would just tee it up on a different set of tees or go play using only a 3 wood and no driver or mix things up that way.[/b] The one thing I got tired of quickly were some of the more arrogant golfers who would run around like it was their personal course and everyone was lucky to be on the grounds with them. Then I took their money!
[/quote]

I was just gonna suggest that, maybe even pair up with some women, play forward and not use any woods maybe just hybrids or long irons.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

The OP's question is, in part, why 'most' private club tracks are considerably more difficult that most muni tracks. Difficulty is tied to ongoing learning. In other words, the average private club member is not likely to feel as though he's mastered the track. The other aspect to consider when joining a private club is can you afford to join, pay the freight and not feel guilty playing other tracks, if desired.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I suppose when you play the majority of your rounds at one place it can get a bit redundant. I usually know before I even get to the course what clubs I'm going to hit off certain tees.

But like others have said, all the other factors (pace of play, ease of tee times, the abundant $games, etc) all more than make up for that with me. And like Friday, we were going out for our first round in a while, and first round of the year where they were letting carts out. The guys in the shop went in the storage shed and had my cart out and waiting for me. Little things make a big difference.

We do however vary the tees on occasion to change it up.

i've been on the fence with joining a local private club for a few years now.

similar thinking to what others have posted, it's becoming less about the actual golf, but more about the time management.

As I now have a family, a small child, and a progressing career....my schedule is constantly changing. Some weekends I don't have the luxury of spending 5-6 hours away from home. Sometimes my weekend is not available but I've got 2-3 hours available on a Thursday or Friday afternoon. The ability to show up to a full scope practice range or play 9 and leave is nice. It's something i didn't care about before, but starting to ponder now.

Can't underestimate potential business networking and relationship building either.

Haven't been bored yet. We just had a renovation last summer/fall, so I'm very excited for the snow to melt and get out on our new course. We have tons of reciprocals within an hours drive. I can go play another course for peanuts if I want to.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1425921390' post='11108729']
I suppose when you play the majority of your rounds at one place it can get a bit redundant. I usually know before I even get to the course what clubs I'm going to hit off certain tees.

But like others have said, all the other factors (pace of play, ease of tee times, the abundant $games, etc) all more than make up for that with me. And like Friday, we were going out for our first round in a while, and first round of the year where they were letting carts out. The guys in the shop went in the storage shed and had my cart out and waiting for me. Little things make a big difference.

We do however vary the tees on occasion to change it up.
[/quote]

Also reason many clubs are creating 'combo' tees with ratings, and reason members should join Interclub team golf, which takes play to other clubs.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x