My weekend getaway to Arizona (Quintero and Tegavah)

My wife and I took a quick three night trip to Scottsdale a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get a couple of rounds of golf in. After some pretty extensive research I chose to take a bit of a drive both days and go out to Quintero Golf Club and Tegavah.

After the drive taking a bit longer than expected (as well as the 5 min cart ride from the club house to the range), I got to the driving range 5 minutes before my 7:35 tee time, hit 4 quick balls, and got to the first tee. Right away I knew I was in for a treat. The course had incredible views and was in tip top shape.

view from the 3rd tee:

4th tee:

9th tee:

somewhere on the back 9:

I don't have a picture of it, but the highlight for me was the 6th hole. If features a steep downhill shot to a green that is guarded in the front left and back right. The view from this tee box is among the best I've ever seen.

I'd rate Quintero as one of the best golf courses I've ever played. It may be a bit out there, but if anyone is planning on making a trip to the Phoenix/Scottsdale I really thing the course is a MUST PLAY.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2nd round of my trip was at Tegavah, which was slightly closer to our resort than Quintero. Unfortunately the weather didn't quite live up to the first day it didn't get above the mid 60's and there was cloud cover for most of my round.
[attachment=2664165:photo 4.JPG]
[attachment=2664175:photo 3.JPG]
[attachment=2664177:photo 2.JPG]
[attachment=2664183:photo 1 (1).JPG]

Truth be told, I didn't enjoy Tegavah nearly as much as I did Quintero. It may have been the local I was paired up with who had it stuck in his head that we were going to play I under 2 and a half hours. It may have been that I didn't play the right tees. It may have been the weather.

At the end of the trip I left Arizona having played one of the most enjoyable rounds of my life and one round that was kind of "meh". Either way, it was a lot better than the frozen tundra that I left back in Chicago.

Ping I3 2-PW Blue

What resort did you stay at? I am going to Phoenix next week. I might try to add Quintero to my rotation.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

There wasn't any elevation change to speak of at Tegavah.

I stayed at the Marriott Camelback Resort. It was very nice, and our balcony had an amazing view of Camelback Mountain. A couple of years ago I stayed at the Fairmont Princess. Camelback had a nicer room and a more relaxed atmosphere. The Fairmont was a bit trendier and had a nicer pool and restaurants IMO.

Quintero is a bit of a drive, but I wouldn't miss it if you're playing golf in Arizona.

Ping I3 2-PW Blue

[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1426563076' post='11157635']

I stayed at the Marriott Camelback Resort. It was very nice, and our balcony had an amazing view of Camelback Mountain. A couple of years ago I stayed at the Fairmont Princess. Camelback had a nicer room and a more relaxed atmosphere. The Fairmont was a bit trendier and had a nicer pool and restaurants IMO.

Quintero is a bit of a drive, but I wouldn't miss it if you're playing golf in Arizona.
[/quote]

Im staying here later in the year and had seriously considered playing the courses linked to the Hotel, Padre and Ambiente, did you rule these out, and if so why? Based on your photos and experience I might seriously consider adding Q to my rotation out there though. Im staying for 10 days.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

The main reason I ruled the camelback courses out was price point. I can't remember exactly what they wanted per round ($200ish?)but I know it was a decent amount more than the $120 I spent at Quintero and $90 at Tegavah for early morning tee times. Keep in mind that this was the end of February when prices are high in the desert.

Also, I had decided before I went that I was 100% playing Quintero just based on the flyovers on their website, and I'm sure glad I did. In hindsight I wish I would've played somewhere other than Tegavah. I went over to the camelback courses on my last day just to see them and the conditioning looked fantastic.

Ping I3 2-PW Blue

Apparently they still haven't built a clubhouse at Quintero, no? Yeah, the ride in the cart to the practice area and first hole seems like a drive to the North Pole. Also, I think the carts have speed governors, so it feels like you're crawling. Lol.

The elevation changes on the par 3's are fun, but they are a bit redundant. It seems like I was hitting the same club on each hole, which of course was 3 clubs less than I would normally hit given the drop down to the green. Overall though, it was a fun round out in the middle of nowhere.

Tegavah is quite flat. I played it when it first opened, and there was one house on the course. I believe there may be a few others today, but it's still quite wide open.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1426432492' post='11146835']
[b]I don't have a picture of it, but the highlight for me was the 6th hole. If features a steep downhill shot to a green that is guarded in the front left and back right. The view from this tee box is among the best I've ever seen.[/b]

I'd rate Quintero as one of the best golf courses I've ever played. It may be a bit out there, but if anyone is planning on making a trip to the Phoenix/Scottsdale I really thing the course is a MUST PLAY.
[/quote]

I believe this is 6. ;)

I would rate Quintero as one of my top 5 favorite courses. I loved every minute of it. A definite "must play" in Phoenix area, in spite of the drive.
Cool part about the above pic is that from the green looking back to the tee none of the boxes are visible. The mountain is so steep and overgrown that the tee boxes can't be distinguished.

Cobra Ltdx LS 10.5. 

M3 3HL

cobra tec 2 and 4 hybrids
Cobra mim tour
PXG Forged wedges
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='TheInfidel' timestamp='1426594311' post='11158627']

[/quote]

Im staying here later in the year and had seriously considered playing the courses linked to the Hotel, Padre and Ambiente, did you rule these out, and if so why? Based on your photos and experience I might seriously consider adding Q to my rotation out there though. Im staying for 10 days.
[/quote]

At Camelback, you want to play Ambiente not Padre. Ambiente was recently redesigned and is a great track, the closest thing to links golf I have found in the area. Can usually find golfnow deals for $100 or so even in peak season. Padre is an old style country club layout, not a bad course, but not even remotely in Ambiente's league.

NB, I am a Tegavah fanboy. Even though the course is mostly flat, you get some great views on many holes. I think it's very well designed, a great mix of holes, and many, including me, consider it a far better course than Quintero from a design standpoint. That said, no question most visitors seem to prefer Quintero, almost certainly for the landscape and views - a much more memorable course.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

If you think Tegavah is flat, you will be continually fooled by putts with unexpected breaks. The entire property is tilted toward the Verde River but in a subtle manner that can definitely confuse.

Quintero has "in your face" elevation change. Not subtle at all. Perhaps a bit too severe for a golf course IMO.

[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1426432492' post='11146835']
My wife and I took a quick three night trip to Scottsdale a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get a couple of rounds of golf in. After some pretty extensive research I chose to take a bit of a drive both days and go out to Quintero Golf Club and Tegavah.

After the drive taking a bit longer than expected (as well as the 5 min cart ride from the club house to the range), I got to the driving range 5 minutes before my 7:35 tee time, hit 4 quick balls, and got to the first tee. Right away I knew I was in for a treat. The course had incredible views and was in tip top shape.
view from the 3rd tee:
[attachment=2664095:Flipped 1.jpg]
4th tee:
[attachment=2664097:Flipped 2.jpg]
9th tee:
[attachment=2664109:Flipped 3.jpg]
somewhere on the back 9:
[attachment=2664111:photo.JPG]

I don't have a picture of it, but the highlight for me was the 6th hole. If features a steep downhill shot to a green that is guarded in the front left and back right. The view from this tee box is among the best I've ever seen.

[/quote]

WORD! Glad to see someone that saw it the same as me. I liked Quintero way more than the courses that people rave about here in scottsdale area. I didn't find any flaws on the design, redundancy on any par 3's etc. I think some people with the negative comments must've lost a lot of balls when they played it. Great course, beautiful, well conditioned and cool elevation changes.

[/quote]

Sorry got to massively disagree with you here, while it might not be as in your face obvious as Quintero There is a massive elevation change at Tegavah from the top of 7 tee box to the bottom of the course on the 14th hole. You work slightly up hill from number 1 to number 7 although it is subtle. #7 # 8 #12 #13 #14 all play downhill #16 #17 back up hill. If you dont know you are going straight back up hill on 17 I dont know what else to add, by far the longest 630 yard par 5 I have ever played

I have played Tegavah 50+ times and can break that course down shot by shot it is hardly a flat golf course. On the flipside Quintero is a course that looks beautiful because of the elevation changes but the more you look at it the worse the course gets. 3 downhill par 3's all pretty close in yardage if the tees are in the correct spots. Par 4's that all blend together except two or three.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]