Buddies Trip in August...Where to go..?

So we have a group of 8 - 10 that try and take a golf trip every year. Typically we do it in May.

This year one the players used DOODLE to see what everyone's schedule is for the next few months. Based on the input for summer family plans it appears August is the best month.

I assume top places like Bandon or Kohler are good around August? Is Pinehurst any good or to hot and humid?

Will let you know up front... heat and humidity are things some of the players are trying to avoid after a Myrtle Beach trip in August a few years back.

Our trips are typically 5 day's (maybe more depending on travel time). We are not locked into resort places either we will go where there is great golf, food and fun.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bandon and Kohler are in your price range, you might consider places like The Broadmoor in CO or The Greenbrier in WV. If your group has a gambling streak you might look into Turning Stone in NY or Foxwoods in CT. Closer to home, Prairie Club in NE is also an option.

Outside of a pure resort setting, Napa/Sonoma might be an interesting play, especially if you have some food/wine connoisseurs in your group. There might be a bit of driving involved, but Silverado (two courses), Aetna Springs (a nine-holer, but one of the best in the country), Bodega Harbor and a personal favorite of mine, Windsor GC in Windsor, CA are all in that sphere (as are a number of private courses, if you or others in your group have juice). And if you flew into/out of San Francisco, there are options on the way up to the Wine Country that you could explore.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

Bandon in the summer, I am assuming is largely booked out by now and I cannot help but think it wouldn't be as nice an environment as in the offseason. A lot cheaper then too.
Based on where you guys live, I'd second the Prairie Club trip. What's not to like about a golf roadtrip? :)

Vancouver is my hometown and I'd rate Whistler as decent-ish, I'd rather drive into the interior and play Sagebrush, Tobiano, and the others around Kamloops. If I was doing a trip to Canadia from Denver, I'd go to Calgary, play Banff Springs and Jasper Park Lodge, amongst whatever else is solid up there.

To add to ones you haven't considered - and that are an easy flight for you - I'd suggest Albuquerque: Paa Ko Ridge, UNM Championship, drive up to Black Mesa. Also have Twin Warriors, Sandia and others. Good value for money too. Good microbreweries and eats as well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1426881956' post='11181591']
Duffer987,
Thanks for the input. I will present the locations to the group. Since we have more time I am sure there will be a lot more questions. Seems like the trips go smoother when we just decide and go. Not a lot of wasted time LOL
[/quote]

I can imagine! Me and one of my best mates have done a shedload of golf trips the past 2 years, bar one that was 6 of us, it was always just two or three, so a lot easier to get consensus and organize, when you only need 1 teetime, 1 car, 1 hotel room and only a couple calendars to adjust.

Trips are fun. Golf is fun. What's not to like! Well OK, apart from the paying.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I would agree with everyone and put BANDON at the top of the list.

I went for the first time in January and can't wait to go back! I have been to Kohler, Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, and Chambers Bay and golf is not comparable.

Banff would be nice but there isn't much else around since kananaskis is in limbo after flooding and Jasper is still a decent drive from Banff 2-3 hours.

If you are going in August check out Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs. with the USD strong it make the trip cheap and if you like seafood the area is great.

[quote name='Jeremysm1' timestamp='1426738807' post='11171245']
A real fun trip is Tacoma in August. Just did this last year. Chambers Bay a couple rounds, The Home Course, Trophy Lake and others. Get the package from Hotel Murano and enjoy. Weather couldn't be any better, staff was great and the price was ridiculously low (compared to our trips at Kohler, Monterey, and others).
[/quote]

I am going to second this suggestion especially since its my hometown. You can play a lot of quality courses for not a lot of money, with the exception of Chambers. The Home Course, Salish Cliffs, Gold Mountain and at least 3-4 others can be had in the $50-75 range if not less.

The weather will not be humid and temps will likely be in the 80's.

I have stayed at the hotel above and it's a nice place. They have packages for Chambers and are located in downtown Tacoma (maybe :30 from course. There are plenty of bar/ restaurants within walking distance.

Can give you plenty of information on the area if you need it.

[quote name='glk23' timestamp='1426967748' post='11186909']
Even though we often get made fun of because of our weather, it's tough to beat July and August if you love outdoor activities. I can't imagine you would be disappointed by spending 5 days here that time of year playing some nice courses.
[/quote]

Agreed :) When folks find out I am from Vancouver I always tell them if you go from mid-July to mid-Sept you should* be in for good weather, as it's really the only time of year that is remotely predictable.
Anchoring the trip with one big name in Chambers Bay and then the others you mentiond does sound like an excellent alternative-golf destination.
OP, one thing to keep in mind is Mariners and Hawks (only preseason obviously) home schedule. Both are great stadiums for an evening in the bleachers enjoying a few bevvies and something that came off the grill.

F.T.

Duffer... funny you mention the Mariners.. my ex brother in law is the Head / Senior trainer for them. Been their a long time. Rick is excellent at what he does and a pretty good golfer. Sad part, my sister still lives in the Seattle area so I know if I go up there I will have to waste a day with her LOL /ssshhhh :tongue:

Thunder Dan.. we thought about still going and maybe catching a day at the PGA. Still a lot of good golf in the area. So on the list.

A new leader seems to be Michigan. Looking temping but also looks like a couple of hour drive each day depending on the courses.

I am working the wife to let me go to Pinehurst in may since she knows I we will going in August too. More than likely solo but still worth a "Long Weekend". Out of Denver the flights are bit odd on pricing to NC?? [i]**Screwy thing to Wilimington ($280+/-) I go through Charlotte ($420+/-) and yet I save the price of rental and gas for 4 days?? If I hit Pinehurst solo I am trying to do it on the low side to keep the wife agro down...as much as possible that is. [/i]

[i]EDIT... Northern Michigan does have some very nice courses for damn good pricing...[/i]

[quote name='glk23' timestamp='1426967748' post='11186909']
Even though we often get made fun of because of our weather, it's tough to beat July and August if you love outdoor activities. I can't imagine you would be disappointed by spending 5 days here that time of year playing some nice courses.
[/quote]

Glk23

It is still on the table. Sad part one the members noticed Portland has more "gentlemen's" clubs per capita than any other city??? So you know his vote. Of course he is not a good golfer but a good friend so he goes to just get away.

Just got back from Bandon and as advertised, it's the best buddies trip in the country. They continue to amaze me and for our group of 12 it was the awesome. Already thinking about booking next years trip.

It's a bit out the ordinary but Lake Tahoe has some great tracks and has the lake to keep you busy at Night and an easy flight to Reno. Weather in August is a little more tempermental

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Mizuno 223 Pro  Modus 105S

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus 115W
Mizuno M Craft VI

We always do Northern Michigan in early to mid August. The weather is great. Admittedly, the driving can be in the PITA because you're probably looking at flying into Detroit, but it's worth it for our group.

And I agree with you, I did a golf/family trip to Myrtle Beach in August. That might have been the most miserable I had ever been.

TaylorMade JetSpeed
TaylorMade RBZ 14.5* and 18*
TaylorMade RBZ 4H 22*
TaylorMade SpeedBlade's
588 RTX 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty California Monterey

[quote name='farmerjg' timestamp='1427211689' post='11205217']
We always do Northern Michigan in early to mid August. The weather is great. Admittedly, the driving can be in the PITA because you're probably looking at flying into Detroit, but it's worth it for our group.

And I agree with you, I did a golf/family trip to Myrtle Beach in August. That might have been the most miserable I had ever been.
[/quote]

+1 for Northern Michigan in August. One of my best trips ever....Arcadia, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor, Tullymore, and Black Lake...and we just scratched the surface.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Forest Dunes is fantastic :)
Arcadia Bluffs is equal parts interesting and silly.

Arcadia - Treetops - Forest Dunes (amongst many other options) makes an easily* driveable triangle of venues.

*One you've made the hike up there that is.

F.T.

Michigan for sure
Day 1
1 Arcadia Bluffs
2. Kingsley Club
Day 2
3. Bay Harbor
4. Black Lake
Day 3
5. Tribute - Otsego Club
6. Treetops Signature
Day 4
36 holes at Forest Dunes

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

My top vote would definitely be Bandon, but August is their high season (low rainfall month), so booking might be hard. I haven't played a lot of the Michigan courses mentioned, but I have played courses near Harbor Springs (Little Traverse Bay), and it was great. Would also be very comfortable that time of year, and considerably less expensive than Bandon. You can also fly to Traverse City.. you don't have to drive from Detroit.

[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1427218813' post='11206051']
Michigan for sure
Day 1
1 Arcadia Bluffs
2. Kingsley Club
Day 2
3. Bay Harbor
4. Black Lake
Day 3
5. Tribute - Otsego Club
6. Treetops Signature
Day 4
36 holes at Forest Dunes
[/quote]

Nice list, some of the courses were on a list I thought would work with driving. Though I am down for your list, I think only 2/3rds of the group would be. Some are players...other are golfers. [i] <-- I am sure you get that reference[/i]

I thought Kingsley was private?? Some of the course rates lower than expected, some are higher but the quality of golf looks excellent all around.

[quote name='GoStars' timestamp='1427229010' post='11207513']
My top vote would definitely be Bandon, but August is their high season (low rainfall month), so booking might be hard. I haven't played a lot of the Michigan courses mentioned, but I have played courses near Harbor Springs (Little Traverse Bay), and it was great. Would also be very comfortable that time of year, and considerably less expensive than Bandon. You can also fly to Traverse City.. you don't have to drive from Detroit.
[/quote]

I did a quick check with Bandon yesterday. If we have 8-10 it is looking rather thin - tough during august. Issue is the group knows we have time before we go and I know a few will procrastinate which will Bandon... Which is fine as some of the players in our group want to go, so we may do a secondary trip with just 4 of us.