2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Atlanta Georgia Private Clubs

I, like many, am a recent transplant to the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan area. I am also spoiled because I belonged to a private club that is rich in history, class, tradition, and comradery. My club was founded in the late 1800's and carries a lot of local prestige. I am proud that a fellow club member has worn the "Green Jacket." Unfortunately, my relocation has forced me to look for a new club. I am hoping to find a club that is open to outsiders that have made Atlanta their home for generations to come. I would like a pristine golf course, as well as, a great pool where my kids can rack up my bill on junk food. I am not interested in s sub-division club, a family owned club, cannongate, or the clubcorp experience. I am looking for a membership where I can play a round with myself, my son, and a caddy for under $25K initiation and pay the norm $500 Monthly dues. Please let me, and the other transplants know all available options anywhere within an hours drive of the city. For me, the closer to the city, the better. I believe there are a lot of people out there who are in s similiar situation.

All of that at that price? Good luck. Welcome to Atlanta. Depending on if you are with or against traffic an hour's drive could be 25 miles.

Tell people where you live. That will make a huge difference.

The two that come to mind are the AAC and Cherokee T&CC, but both are well north of $50k initiation.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Rivermont Country Club, don't know what the initiation is but dues are well inside 500

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Your profile says you live in South Atlanta. There is one exclusive country club that I think fits your range, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

But as far as 'prestige' goes, you're probably going to have a tough time getting a private club with that type of prestige for under $25k.

RH

Your age will play a big role with regards to the initiation fee. If you're under 36 you may be able to find something close to that initiation price, but the reality is it will probably be slightly north of that. If you're over 36 be prepared for something in the 50k - 85k range. Also, there are only a small handful of clubs with caddy programs, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker for you.

I have been in Atlanta for over four years now, and what you are looking for doesn't really exist that I can find. The high end prestigious clubs are well over 25k, and most of them you have to know multiple members and be invited to join if there isn't a waiting list.

I have not looked a ton on the South Side, but on the South side the only "prestigious" club I know of is Piedmont Driving Club(one of their courses) however it is WELL north of 25k initiation, and you have to be invited, and there is already a waiting list. Cherokee is the same. I believe the last I heard of Cherokee was that it was north of 80k for initiation.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Thank you all for the replies. Please keep them coming. One of the big questions I have is..,, How far North of $25K are we talking? I am above 40 so I am no longer a candidate for lower initiation fees. I live on the South Side. However, the distance really isn't an issue. The main focus is filling as many boxes as possible.

Is a caddy system a requirement? If so you are limited to about 5 clubs. All of which have waiting lists, will not let you tour the facility without a member recommendation, have waiting lists and initiation north of 80k. Eagle's Landing is a pretty good club, but not super exclusive, and the committee will sponsor new to town people. It is club corp, but not your typical club corp facility.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

This data is a bit old, 2008, but base solely on the sub $25K initiation fee requirement, you'll be looking at courses like:

Country Club of Roswell
Country Club of the South (Club Corp, initiation most likely has changed)
Horseshoe Bend (New owner, initiation most likely has changed)
Pinetree
Polo Country Club
Rivermont
St. Ives

Clubs you'd really like to join:

$80-90K
AAC
ACC
Capitol City
Cherokee
Peachtree
Piedmont Driving

$50-60K
Ansley
Druid Hills
Dunwoody
River Club

Oldest, most prestigious, "quietest" club would be Peachtree Golf Club. It apparently has more members that are members at Augusta National, than any other club in the world. Good luck even meeting a member from there.

(Maybe not the oldest-1947, just looked it up.)

http://www.golftripper.com/course-profiles/peachtree-golf-club/

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1427498612' post='11230789']
This data is a bit old, 2008, but base solely on the sub $25K initiation fee requirement, you'll be looking at courses like:

Country Club of Roswell
Country Club of the South (Club Corp, initiation most likely has changed)
Horseshoe Bend (New owner, initiation most likely has changed)
Pinetree
Polo Country Club
Rivermont
St. Ives

Clubs you'd really like to join:

$80-90K
AAC
ACC
Capitol City
Cherokee
Peachtree
Piedmont Driving

$50-60K
Ansley
Druid Hills
Dunwoody
River Club
[/quote]

The north atlanta areas exclusive golf communities have been struggling since 2008, some are digging their way out. As a result most have significantly cut their initiation fees. River club is now offering an initiation fee of 30k, cc of the south is at 15k, the manor is at 20k I believe as is the golf club of Georgia. If you are south of Atlanta I'm not sure what options you have available, as most of the exclusive courses I know of are north of the city. Sugarloaf cc is also a fine option in the 30k range if you are close enough to Duluth.

[quote name='CC Dreamer' timestamp='1427658025' post='11240621']
I'm not sure about Piedmont, but I would say there is no chance at Peachtree.
[/quote]

You can network over time, and likely meet enough Piedmont members for it to be a possibility, but that takes years. No chance of ever becoming a member at Peachtree.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1427665236' post='11241133'][quote name='CC Dreamer' timestamp='1427658025' post='11240621']
I'm not sure about Piedmont, but I would say there is no chance at Peachtree.
[/quote]

You can network over time, and likely meet enough Piedmont members for it to be a possibility, but that takes years. No chance of ever becoming a member at Peachtree.[/quote]

Makes sense, that was my initial read after talking to folks with experience with those clubs, glad to know I can scratch that one from my dream list :)

Peachtree?

Probably out of reach for most of people on this forum. 200 members only now and they already know who the next members going to be.
Invitation only.

Cherokee is the great club to join. Expect to spend $90k.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Thank you all. Based upon all your feedback.
I think I may be most interested in this category. Do these four clubs fit all the specs from my original post?

Ansley -Established 1912 - Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program? My only concern is: Only a nine hole course? Question to those who have played or belong. Loop it twice. Boring? Beautiful 9 holes...But... how tough to grab a tee time? Swing by the club for a quick nine. Impossible or get right out?

Druid Hills- 18 Holes- Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program?

Dunwoody - Established 1969- I dont know much about it.

River Club - Subdivison Club? Even though Million dollar homes... Still a Subdivision?

Subdivision clubs scare me. Golf courses require a lot of money. It seems to me that "Community developers" tend to build courses only to sell later..when the going and costs get tough. I don't want to pay a high initiation fee now; only for it to be $500 or less later to join. ie: CCorp CGate.

Does anyone know the exact current inition cost? For each of the four. Anyone play.. the courses above?

Thanks
Not Scratch

[quote name='Notscratch' timestamp='1427729300' post='11245185']
Thank you all. Based upon all your feedback.
I think I may be most interested in this category. Do these four clubs fit all the specs from my original post?

Ansley -Established 1912 - Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program? My only concern is: Only a nine hole course? Question to those who have played or belong. Loop it twice. Boring? Beautiful 9 holes...But... how tough to grab a tee time? Swing by the club for a quick nine. Impossible or get right out?

Druid Hills- 18 Holes- Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program?

Dunwoody - Established 1969- I dont know much about it.

River Club - Subdivison Club? Even though Million dollar homes... Still a Subdivision?

Subdivision clubs scare me. Golf courses require a lot of money. It seems to me that "Community developers" tend to build courses only to sell later..when the going and costs get tough. I don't want to pay a high initiation fee now; only for it to be $500 or less later to join. ie: CCorp CGate.

Does anyone know the exact current inition cost? For each of the four. Anyone play.. the courses above?

Thanks
Not Scratch
[/quote]

Ansley has the 9 hole in town club and the 18 hole Settindown course on the north side of town. The club has over 900 golf members.

Druid Hills is a nice club but the renovation of the course took away most of the older charm. now it just feels like modern course.

[url="http://www.editionduo.com/publication/?i=231711&p=28"]Dunwoody[/url] maybe the most underrated club in town.

If you live on the South side of Atlanta i would think travelling to any of the courses you have mentioned would get old really fast. Settingdown, River Club will take well over an hour to get to, even Druid Hills is not "easy" to get to with any traffic.
I would consider looking at Cuscowilla, the money is right for you and it wont take any longer to get to than any of those other places.
Good luck

a buddy of mine just go into Piedmont. Extremely difficult. It was a 15 month process. Then he stroked a check for $120k

i'm an eagles landing member, it might as well be a public course since the canongate merger.

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

[quote name='justin10784' timestamp='1427423598' post='11224909']
Depends on where you live, may want to give Druid Hills a look.
[/quote]

Druid Hills is 60k and $800 per month.

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1