2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New to WRX.. what is the definition of average joe?

Hi,

I've noticed that there are a lot of 300+ hitters at WRX... I mean a lot. Some of the feedback may not be applicable to my swing, and I noticed this average joe forum.

What is the definition of an average joe? Would I be better off looking/searching for advice on this sub forum?

I play between a 6-9 hcp. My SS is 100-105. A great drive of mine goes 300 yards, average about 270. I live in Colorado so the numbers are slightly inflated.

Thanks!

What you read on WRX and what is reality are two very different things.

If there was a requirement of a video submission for everyone on the site to showcase their golf game, the average drive would be around 265, and you would see more 15 HDCP swings than you would 1.5 HDCP. The Internet allows people to live an anonymous life beyond what is reality.

There should be a GolfWRX Open where everyone who plays is required to have their tournament score as a part of their signature until the next years tournament.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Haha some of this is brilliant, I was put off posting when I first joined.

I'll be honest I have a swing speed of 93-95 MPH - A good drive for me is 250 yards (9 Handicap), funnily enough either WRX has a conglomeration of all the best casual golfers or someone is telling lies.......especially when I am told that the average handicap in most countries is about 18, and swing speed 85 ish miles an hour.

I consider myself a very Average Joe!

I'd definitely say I'm average overall. I'm a high single digit handicapper that played in high school and just plays every spring/summer now. Just like to go out and have fun. I don't know anything about club tech or fitting etc. etc. etc. Just play to enjoy the game.

• Titleist TSR2 9* AD-VF 6x
  • Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Red 7x
  • Titleist T200 3-5 Modus 105T X
  • Titleist 620MB 6-9  Modus 105T X
  • Titleist Vokey- Sm9 Raw 46*/10 50*/12 54*/12  58*/08 DG TI 400
  • Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6.5

I'm a self-proclaimed average Joe. My driver SS is around 95, with the exception of my 54*/58* wedges all of my clubs are R-flex graphite shafted noodles. I hit my driver 220-250 depending on course conditions. According to this site, I'm a good 3 to 4 clubs shorter than everyone else but who cares??? I enjoy playing the game and I can work my way around reasonable length courses (<6,500 yards). I don't need to play the championship tees to feel accomplished. I don't practice as much as I play. I play when I can and I love the game :-). That's my idea of average Joe.

• Like 1

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

• 2 weeks later...

At courses where I've been a member, I'd say I was above average length wise - it helps that I'm tall and get the extra leverage of long arm. Out the screws , I hit my driver 270-280, that's including running out on the fairway (driver swing speed is ~ 105mph). If I had to average all my drives in a round, its probably around 250 (again, including run out). I definitely agree that most people over estimate/exaggerate how far they hit it. For what it's worth, in my book Average Joe in this forum is a 15-18 handicapper, who drives it 250ish

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Enfynet' timestamp='1433104819' post='11661968']
I think Average Joe is a Bogey Golfer. Probably has fairly good swing speed, but poor contact consistency. Sure, they will hit a 9 iron from 150, but only 10% of the time does it ever actually land on the green.

I don't think I want to be in a WRX tournament. I don't think there's enough digits for my scores.
[/quote]

I just played with one of these douchbg's on Friday. Would try to hit his approach wedge 130 yards whenever he could. Short and right most times aside from the one par 3 that was downhill and a breeze at his back. It trickled onto the front lip, 40 feet from the hole.

[quote name='pktaske' timestamp='1433785766' post='11712028']
I think Average Joe is a Bogey Golfer. Probably has fairly good swing speed, but poor contact consistency. Sure, they will hit a 9 iron from 150, but only 10% of the time does it ever actually land on the green.

I don't think I want to be in a WRX tournament. I don't think there's enough digits for my scores.
[/quote]

I just played with one of these douchbg's on Friday. Would try to hit his approach wedge 130 yards whenever he could. Short and right most times aside from the one par 3 that was downhill and a breeze at his back. It trickled onto the front lip, 40 feet from the hole.
[/quote]

I would like to think a terrible personality makes a person a d-bag, not their club selection, but I don't know it all

GI to Blades to SGI= Golf is now fun

[quote name='Asiz' timestamp='1433786412' post='11712106']
[quote name='pktaske' timestamp='1433785766' post='11712028']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would like to think a terrible personality makes a person a d-bag, not their club selection, but I don't know it all
[/quote]

You're quite right actually. I neglected to mention the 'personality' was equally as charming as his club selection. Lecturing me and the lady I was teamed with on the first hole about how we were going to approach 'pace of play' this round (ie-she wasn't very good and they wanted to make sure she kept the game going). . By the fourth hole the foursome behind us started yelling at him for hitting multiple balls at each tee!!

I'm definitely a below average joe, I due swing driver at prob something like 110-115 but that's about the only good part of my game I miss hit irons all the time have poor chipping in real game play(hole out chips when I'm practicing) and can't reliably sink any putt farther then 2 feet out. All that being said I love the game and want to learn as much about it as I can.

• 1 month later...

I would consider myself an Avg Joe for real life. Mediocre at best Joe on GolfWRX.

Index dropped from 22 to 16 this year. SS between 90-95 reliable. I've been known to swing faster, but it's anyone's guess where the ball will go. I have never hit a ball 300 yards (I'm pretty sure it wouldnt even happen in Colorado with a 20 MPH wind at my back hitting down a giant hill).

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='jdg2494' timestamp='1427488106' post='11229645']

If there was a requirement of a video submission for everyone on the site to showcase their golf game, the average drive would be around 265, and you would see more 15 HDCP swings than you would 1.5 HDCP. The Internet allows people to live an anonymous life beyond what is reality.

There should be a GolfWRX Open where everyone who plays is required to have their tournament score as a part of their signature until the next years tournament.
[/quote]

I've played with two people who post on this site this year. One claimed 112 mph clubhead speed, he may have gotten to 100 mph once, my 95 mph was putting balls past him all day. And he didn't come close to breaking 90.The other bragged about shooting even par the weekend before and having a driver from a tour player, he shot 94.

I think Phoenix would be a great place for a GolfWRX Championship.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

[quote name='shart6' timestamp='1438913209' post='12093424']

[/quote]

I've played with two people who post on this site this year. One claimed 112 mph clubhead speed, he may have gotten to 100 mph once, my 95 mph was putting balls past him all day. And he didn't come close to breaking 90.The other bragged about shooting even par the weekend before and having a driver from a tour player, he shot 94.

[/quote]
I wonder if the guy claiming 112 had ever had his speed tested WHILE on the course? I can swing pretty fast but am often afraid to with the ball in front of me.

[quote name='Enfynet' timestamp='1438918750' post='12093910']
[quote name='shart6' timestamp='1438913209' post='12093424']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I wonder if the guy claiming 112 had ever had his speed tested WHILE on the course? I can swing pretty fast but am often afraid to with the ball in front of me.
[/quote]

I doubt the guy ever did any real testing. As for your comment go hit some balls into Lake Erie. The swing speed you can stripe one is your maximum clubhead speed because how can you miss the lake? (From Jackie Burke) Your usable clubhead speed is how fast can you swing barefoot playing. I was taught to play the totally different game, tournament golf barefooted. I got to play some very nice places late in the day for the price of a $1 nassau with the other 3 guys in the group. You really learn tempo, balance and feeling slopes that way. My instructors to this day insist on a barefoot session. And I haven't worn golf shoes in 20 years. (Generally attributed to Sam Snead from a 1959 Life Magazine article.)

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Normally 235 off the tee....very,very short for WRX'ers.....I did hit a 300 yarder once....that sucker hit a cart path and REALLY

took off ! I have no doubt that there are some guys on here who can lay it out there on a consistent basis,but I also think

there are a lot more who maybe exaggerate, maybe just a little.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• 3 weeks later...

Mid-90's swing speed. Aside from recently lowing spin so my drives will roll out over 250 instead of plugging I've never felt like I needed to work on that. I'm rarely if ever paired with a true long bomber when I'm a single. Actually most of the time I get comments on my 250 yard 'bombs'.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

I like the honesty in this thread... Stay out of the Long Drive column....It gets deep in there, and I don't have the boots for it.

Personally, I do have a driver swing in the 110 range. I average 285 or so, but have hit a good amount of 300 yard drives. Of course, wind helps(and beer). I won't get into how my 3 wood goes just as far.....

I do play blades. MP-32's. S300's, bent 1* upright. My ball striking is decent. My 9 iron goes right at 145. I hit the ball waaaay high, so not a lot of roll up to 5 iron, which goes 185-190. My 3 and 4 irons roll out some.

I played to an 18 not too many years ago. This year I have played more golf than ever. And I'm playing close to a10 or 11. Had a few sub 80 scores for the first time and not many over 85.

Long story short, I think where you play has a big influence on handicap. I play a lot of munis, where you can miss a fairway by a ways and still score.. Desert or links courses where that same ball is out or unplayable? That can make a decent player look like a hack based on numbers.

Just re-read the earlier posts... I chip and putt pretty well. Hopefully keeping three putts to one or two per round. And, yeah, I keep track. Right along with fairways and greens hit