Adams xtd forged irons

SwooshLT ·  
 SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7353WRX Points: 412Handicap: 5Posts: 7,353 Titanium Tees
Understanding there wasn't a huge tour presence but was there another reason(price?) for lack of impact? Slotted for added forgiveness, forged though foam-filled behind floating face, appealing at address without being super blade-like(bigger than my vr pro combos)

So Golfwrx, what say ye?
Posted:

Comments

• Swillis3Swillis3 Members  99WRX Points: 0Posts: 99
    I hit some with kbs c-taper shafts and didn't care for them. Not sure what it was but they weren't the clubs for me.

I believe there was some problems with chrome chipping or lamination issues or something to that affect as well.

I know that doesn't answer your question just my thoughts
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7353WRX Points: 412Handicap: 5Posts: 7,353 Titanium Tees
    Yes it does......as a consumer, you've explained your experience with the set! Thanks
    Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6649WRX Points: 608Posts: 6,649 Titanium Tees
    IIRC, they had a pretty high price point when they came out, higher than many wanted to pay for the Adams name, so they went to other offerings instead. Then when they were on blowout this winter people picked them up and found out they're solid clubs. Some did have issues with polymer imperfections in the slot and got newer replacements from TM.

Personally I grabbed a set and really like them, battling with my CMBs right now for what will find its way into the bag.
    Posted:
    No problem. If your looking at Adams irons I'd recommend taking a look at the idea black cb3's. They are forged as well and a little chunkier but had a dang good feel
    Posted:
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7353WRX Points: 412Handicap: 5Posts: 7,353 Titanium Tees
    Swillis3 wrote:

No problem. If your looking at Adams irons I'd recommend taking a look at the idea black cb3's. They are forged as well and a little chunkier but had a dang good feel

I am.....probably going to buy a set.....oh , I don't like black irons.....call me silly!
    Posted:
    You wouldn't like the cb3's then. The color did last longer than the razr x blacks but wear is wear.

If your not set on Adams I'd look into the new callaways as well they have a great feel and are super long
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Yeah gonna keep it under the tmag umbrella! But valid points by you guys so hopefully they work as expected. .....anyone else?
    Posted:
  • sharks25sharks25 Members  389WRX Points: 51Posts: 389 Greens
    I have played a few rounds with mine and I honestly love them. A little clicky for a forged iron but I expected that and would sacrifice feel for performance any day. The set blends beautifully, every club looks awesome to my eye, unlike some sets with a PW that looks off compared to the other clubs. Just a smidge bigger than a blade and a tiny bit of forgiveness on the longer irons. For the low prices you can find them for nowadays I would definitely give em a shot.
    Posted:
    sharks25 wrote:

I have played a few rounds with mine and I honestly love them. A little clicky for a forged iron but I expected that and would sacrifice feel for performance any day. The set blends beautifully, every club looks awesome to my eye, unlike some sets with a PW that looks off compared to the other clubs. Just a smidge bigger than a blade and a tiny bit of forgiveness on the longer irons. For the low prices you can find them for nowadays I would definitely give em a shot.

These seem to be the factors that are drawing me in......just bought a set 4-gw with Rip Tour 115g graphite shafts! Arrive Wednesday!
    Posted:
  • zenman4711zenman4711 Members  828WRX Points: 90Posts: 828 Golden Tee
    SwooshLT wrote:

sharks25 wrote:

These seem to be the factors that are drawing me in......just bought a set 4-gw with Rip Tour 115g graphite shafts! Arrive Wednesday!

I just got my set of 3-PW XTD Forged with 115 RIPs two weeks ago and really like them. Had to lead tape them to get the swingweight up to D2 but think they feel great. Not as good as the Apex MB with Recoil 110 I had but the graphite really makes them solid feeling.

Good luck with them.
    Posted:
  • IMAwayIMAway Members  716WRX Points: 76Handicap: 8.6Posts: 716 Golden Tee
    I bought a set and also didn't care for them (since sold them). Part of the issue (for me anyways) was the shaft. The C-Taper looks awesome but I don't think I have the speed to load them properly. The XTDs felt a little harsh for my liking. When I think forged... I think butter soft - which these definitely are not. Absolutely awesome looking irons though. Just a beautiful set. Top line is actually too thin for my eye. But I like a thickish top line so take that for what's it worth. I would think for someone who can handle the C-Taper shaft (and the correct flex helps)... these can be real keepers. Just not my cup of tea.
    Posted:
    Wilson Cortex driver
    Wilson C300 3 wood
    Wilson C300 19 hybrid
    Wilson D7 5-G w/ Recoils
    Wilson PMP 54 &58
    Acculock Ace Arm Lock Putter

Advertisement
  • krutoikrutoi Members  534WRX Points: 95Handicap: 9Posts: 534 Golden Tee
    Amazing irons.Love the feel and the forgiveness. I like them more than my I25's and that says a lot.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 Blue Volition Driver, M4 3hl wood, Epic 3 Hybrid, Srixon u85 5 and 6 Utility Irons, Apex Pro 2019 6-Pw irons, Wilson 8802 putter, Mizuno S18 50 degree wedge, 54 RTX Cleveland Wedge, SM 7 D grind Vokey wedge
  • JonTJonT Members  346WRX Points: 55Posts: 346 Bunkers
    I got a set this winter and took them to Florida for a tryout; for me they are keepers. The c-taper shafts work well for me keeping spin down; I gained about 1/2 clubs distance or more from my i20 with CFS despite the weaker lofts of the XTD Forged. Setup beautifully; a fair degree of forgiveness from the technology; feel is not forge like for me, but acceptably pleasing when hit well. No issues with quality for me. If the shaft is right for you they are a bargain. My .02.
    Posted:
    JonT wrote:

I got a set this winter and took them to Florida for a tryout; for me they are keepers. The c-taper shafts work well for me keeping spin down; I gained about 1/2 clubs distance or more from my i20 with CFS despite the weaker lofts of the XTD Forged. Setup beautifully; a fair degree of forgiveness from the technology; feel is not forge like for me, but acceptably pleasing when hit well. No issues with quality for me. If the shaft is right for you they are a bargain. My .02.

Couple of key points......great look at setup.....I don't mind firmer than "butta" feel.....are these jarring on thin? I launch of long irons higher than exexpected?
    Posted:
  • JonTJonT Members  346WRX Points: 55Posts: 346 Bunkers
    SwooshLT wrote:

JonT wrote:

Couple of key points......great look at setup.....I don't mind firmer than "butta" feel.....are these jarring on thin? I launch of long irons higher than exexpected?

Nothing as extreme as "jarring" on any misfits, but a unpleasant reminder that you didn't stay down through the shot; thin shots carried better then expected, albeit lower trajectory. As far as, launch goes, my set only goes to the five iron so I cannot comment on a 3 or 4. All others launched low mid, peaked and flattened out before descending; reminded me of original FCM Rifle shafts.
    Posted:
    Are these .370 parallel tip? Ugh
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • LObinLObin Members  1603WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,603 Platinum Tees
    I was able to try them side by side with the newer XTD A tour irons and I prefered the XTD A tour. Better distance on off-center strikes. But I like the c-taper better than the KBS tour. Imo, the CMB's remain the best set they ever made. Look and performance.
    Posted:
    Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
    Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
    TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
    Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
    ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
    Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
    TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
    TM Lethal
  • thlongballthlongball Members  930WRX Points: 108Posts: 930 Golden Tee
    CMBs are ridiculous, xtd's without the slot and feel like BUTTER
    Posted:
    LObin wrote:

I was able to try them side by side with the newer XTD A tour irons and I prefered the XTD A tour. Better distance on off-center strikes. But I like the c-taper better than the KBS tour. Imo, the CMB's remain the best set they ever made. Look and performance.

CMB doesn't come in left hand.
    Posted:
  • GraymulliganGraymulligan Members  2443WRX Points: 146Handicap: 8ishPosts: 2,443 Platinum Tees
    I demoed a set when they launched, and I just couldn't justify spending 4 figures on a set of irons or they would have been in my bag then. When they got marked down around Christmas last year, I grabbed a set and I couldn't be happier. Great look at address, the C-tapers work well for me, and I like the feel. I cam from a set of mizunos, and the feel isn't as soft, but it's not harsh by any means. Overall I think Adams has some of the nicest irons on the market in the last few years, be it the cb3's, the cmb's, or these, but the name keeps people away sometimes.
    Posted:
    M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I demoed a set when they launched, and I just couldn't justify spending 4 figures on a set of irons or they would have been in my bag then. When they got marked down around Christmas last year, I grabbed a set and I couldn't be happier. Great look at address, the C-tapers work well for me, and I like the feel. I cam from a set of mizunos, and the feel isn't as soft, but it's not harsh by any means. Overall I think Adams has some of the nicest irons on the market in the last few years, be it the cb3's, the cmb's, or these, but the name keeps people away sometimes.

So initial pricing scared most off.....and as far as the Adams name goes, lost to those who turn up their nose.....I've had great success with Adams Idea Pro Forged,the set with black gold shafts, and I've looked long and high for a set in lefty.....enough similarities but also some upgrades in the XTD FORGED. ....get them on Wednesday!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members  2605WRX Points: 34Handicap: 4Posts: 2,605 Bunkers
    SwooshLT wrote:

.355 Taper don't worry!
    Posted:
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2
    pierso2 wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

.355 Taper don't worry!

Thanks Chris! And yours?

pierso2 wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

.355 Taper don't worry!

Thanks Chris! And yours?
    Posted:
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members  2605WRX Points: 34Handicap: 4Posts: 2,605 Bunkers
    SwooshLT wrote:

pierso2 wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

.355 Taper don't worry!

Thanks Chris! And yours?

pierso2 wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

.355 Taper don't worry!

Thanks Chris! And yours?

Mine went together perfectly using the .355 taper tip shafts. The builder was shocked how snug they fit actually.
    Posted:
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2
  • proamateurproamateur Members  120WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1Posts: 120
    Not sure re the tour presence but I tried them during an exhaustive irons test last year and they actually made the final 2, the other iron being the AP2. I thought the XTD was a great iron. Loved the C-Taper (which was probably a big part of it) and the head shapes/sizes were about right, but there was something artificial about the feel. It was... springy? I was really nitpicking, but it just felt like the AP2s (for comparison purposes) were more 'solid'.

Make no mistake, if someone said they were going to try a set or were thinking of getting some, I'd definitely give a positive review. Hope that helps somebody here.
    Posted:
  • george.arnoldgeorge.arnold Members  164WRX Points: 43Handicap: 2.4Posts: 164 Fairways
    Picked up a set and had some UST Recoil Proto 65s put in them. I love them. I have a few mishits per round, and these sticks still fly the correct yardage, even though it may not look pretty. That's my favorite thing about them.
    Posted:
    PING G30 LST 9* Stock 65 Tour Shaft
    Callaway X2Hot 15*
    Adams LS XTD 22*
    Adams MB2 4-9
    Vokey 48, Nike Engage 52SS 56TS & 60DS
    Betti Kuchar Model 1 Standard

Advertisement
  • LittlePoison1980LittlePoison1980 Members  1416WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,416
    krutoi wrote:

Amazing irons.Love the feel and the forgiveness. I like them more than my I25's and that says a lot.

I still have a set of heads in the plastic... can you tell me what they did better than the I25s? What they did worse?
    Posted:
    proamateur wrote:

Not sure re the tour presence but I tried them during an exhaustive irons test last year and they actually made the final 2, the other iron being the AP2. I thought the XTD was a great iron. Loved the C-Taper (which was probably a big part of it) and the head shapes/sizes were about right, but there was something artificial about the feel. It was... springy? I was really nitpicking, but it just felt like the AP2s (for comparison purposes) were more 'solid'.

Make no mistake, if someone said they were going to try a set or were thinking of getting some, I'd definitely give a positive review. Hope that helps somebody here.

And this was the xtd forged model correct? Did the springy feel lead to inconsistent distances in your opinion?

Picked up a set and had some UST Recoil Proto 65s put in them. I love them. I have a few mishits per round, and these sticks still fly the correct yardage, even though it may not look pretty. That's my favorite thing about them.

What setup are you coming from?
    Posted:
  • george.arnoldgeorge.arnold Members  164WRX Points: 43Handicap: 2.4Posts: 164 Fairways
    SwooshLT wrote:

What setup are you coming from?

R7 TP with S300, This set of Adams was the first set of clubs I ever had built for me. Got them through UST during a demo day with launch monitor.
    Posted:
    PING G30 LST 9* Stock 65 Tour Shaft
    Callaway X2Hot 15*
    Adams LS XTD 22*
    Adams MB2 4-9
    Vokey 48, Nike Engage 52SS 56TS & 60DS
    Betti Kuchar Model 1 Standard

Advertisement
  • proamateurproamateur Members  120WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1Posts: 120
    SwooshLT wrote:

proamateur wrote:

And this was the xtd forged model correct? Did the springy feel lead to inconsistent distances in your opinion?

Yeah, XTD Forged. Didn't necessarily lead to inconsistent distances, but it just felt like there wasn't quite as much feedback as other irons. I admit that I was probably swayed slightly by the reliability and reputation of the AP2s, but again, I wittled it down from about 15 different irons (everything from Miura to Callaway to Cobra) to just the XTD Forged and the AP2 so they are nothing but an excellent club which I recommend should be included in any serious golfers iron test.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.