Adams xtd forged irons

Comments

• jonfleshjonflesh Members  321WRX Points: 56Posts: 321 Greens
    I have the xtd forged in the bag at the moment and am loving them. I was gaming a set of 714 ap2s but I'm really digging the xtds.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • idriveahondaidriveahonda Virginia Beach, VAMembers  1055WRX Points: 106Handicap: 1Posts: 1,055 Platinum Tees
    I've been gaming mine since winter 2014. Best set of sticks I've ever owned.

CTaper Stiff 120 is plenty of shaft for even most of you that are in an X (myself included). Gained a full club in distance. High launching heads with lower launching shafts. Shots are mid-high but they are flat, without spin.

Long irons are super easy to hit, and I picked up the matching 3-iron, just waiting for a matching CTaper to install.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
    TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
    Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
    Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider X
  • BrianL99BrianL99 Banned  5116WRX Points: 14Handicap: IRLPosts: 5,116 Titanium Tees
    OK, tried mine this week.

I've replaced the original shafts with Aerotech Steelfiber 110's.

The clubs are sensational, I love them. Easy to hit, accurate and longer than my S55's.

If you're going to change shafts, be prepared for the headweights to be all over the place and the hosel depths to be different from club to club. In other words, replacing shafts on these clubs are not for the beginner.

After 2 rounds, they're my #1 set.
    Posted:
  • crich88848crich88848 Members  988WRX Points: 20Handicap: 11.9Posts: 988 Bunkers
    Had a couple rounds with these over the last week and my old TMs are bag in the back for now. I'm not sure if it is the shafts or the heads at this point. The c-tapers feel really soft when I hit the ground and I have a hard time pulling them through a fat shot. I had this same issue with a UDI I had a while back with a C-taper shaft. For some reason when I contact the ground, the club stops immediately and bends to the point where I feel I'm going to break the shaft. I have some DG S300s laying around that I will reshaft the 7I with and try that to see if it feels better.
    Posted:
    Taylormade '16 M2 9.5* Speeder 661 EVO TS
    Taylormade M4 3HL Project X HZRDUS RED 75
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW PX 5.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 F-Grind 52-12
    Titleist Vokey SM6 M-Grind 56-08
    Titleist Vokey SM6 K-Grind 60-12
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." - The King
  • SanzabarSanzabar Members  1291WRX Points: 120Handicap: 5.4Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees
    First round with the XTD Forged in the bag. I think I love them. I honestly never thought I would find anything to replace my CB3's but I really enjoyed these.

I REALLY wish I could find a set of CTaper Lite's to throw in them. The CTaper 120 is a little much for my liking. Really considering the CTL's or a lighter Nippon.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    Srixon Z585/Z785
    Nike Engage 56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SeeMore DB4x PR

#Colts #COLTure
  • gioreekogioreeko Members  484WRX Points: 257Posts: 484 Greens
    I had a set made for me by Hurricane Golf with Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff, +1". Great piercing ball flight, have to get used to the extra distance these seem to have in them. Played 3 rounds so far, love them, and have gotten lots of compliments on the looks of these. They are gorgeous clubs!!
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylor Made M3
    3 wood: Taylor made 12 degree mini driver TP
    3 Iron Mizuno Fli hi
    4-UW: Ping i210
    Ping 54, 58 Ping Glide wedges
    Odyssey Versa Tank Putter
    Kirkland Tour ball

Advertisement
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7353WRX Points: 412Handicap: 5Posts: 7,353 Titanium Tees
    Anymore thoughts? Considering these(again) can't find another set for me that makes this much sense......ugh
    Posted:
  • Fish mojoFish mojo Members  92WRX Points: 0Posts: 92
    I'm still loving mine. If you can find a set with the RIP Tour graphite shafts, they are amazing. I had the Cally Apex with the Recoil shafts and I think the RIP Tours are way better to me. There is a nice set on fleabay right now with stiff shafts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adams-Golf-XTD-Forged-Hybrid-Irons-Graphite-3-4-DHy-5-PW-Stiff-Aldila-RIP-115-/162084815656?hash=item25bd020328:g:Ae0AAOSwoJZXSJp7
    Posted:
    Adams XTD Driver 10.5 degree(Matrix Red Tie S)
    Adams XTD-ti 3W 15 degree(Matrix Red Tie S)
    Adams XTD-ti 18 degree hybrid,(Matrix Red Tie S)
    Adams XTD forged irons 5-pw w/RIP Tour 115 shafts (R flex, DriTac midsize)
    Adams XTD DHY 21 and 24 w/RIP Tour 80 shafts (R flex, DriTac midsize)
    Titleist SM6 50/8 gap wedge
    Callaway MD2 54/11 SW
    Never Compromise Connoisseur Portofino Putter
  • crich88848crich88848 Members  988WRX Points: 20Handicap: 11.9Posts: 988 Bunkers
    I re-shafted mine with some DG S300s I had laying around, and they are money now. I really don't get along with c-tapers. Played 36 holes last weekend with these, and on the third 9 I hit 7/9 greens thanks to these. The ball just rockets off the face. They do have the soft forged feel to them, but the sound is a little different than your traditional forged iron. I am actually quite surprised at how forgiving these are on mishits. Much better than my Taylormade MCs were.
    Posted:
    Taylormade '16 M2 9.5* Speeder 661 EVO TS
    Taylormade M4 3HL Project X HZRDUS RED 75
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW PX 5.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 F-Grind 52-12
    Titleist Vokey SM6 M-Grind 56-08
    Titleist Vokey SM6 K-Grind 60-12
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." - The King
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX  11310WRX Points: 1,190Handicap: 7Posts: 11,310 ClubWRX
    I am thinking about buying my son a set. He outgrew the Ping Moxies I bought over the winter, hardly used em.

Any discount codes for Hurricane Golf?
    Posted:
    GBB 9* Ventus Black 
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Mavrik 7w - smoke 80
    Mizuno 919/T7 combo 5-P LZ Blackout
    MD5 48-53-58 TI S200
    SL Black Rossie Flow
    TM TP5X
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1281WRX Points: 319Handicap: 7.6 and trendingPosts: 1,281 ClubWRX
    They are great irons but I actually won a set of custom fit Ping I E1's that will arrive on Monday. I also have a set of KZG satin blades that I will play from time to time. I gave my son my Adams CB3's when I bought the XTD's. Anyway I am not one to have several sets of irons laying around so I am probably going to sell my XTD's. They are in excellent shape ( 4 - PW ) and have the KBS C-Taper 120 stiff in them. PM me if you want pics or are interested. I will post them here on the BST probably late next week.
    Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    3 WD -       Taylor Made M6 Rocket | Atmos Orange Stiff 
    HYBRIDS - PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    IRONS -     PXG Gen 3 -  0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    WEDGES - Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -         PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -     Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

Advertisement
  • jonfleshjonflesh Members  321WRX Points: 56Posts: 321 Greens
    Ended up selling my ap2s and keeping the xtd forged. Have them paired with the modus 120. Love them. Have the 3-pw and these are some of the easiest long irons to hit for such a small profile
    Posted:
  • Jsandy1996Jsandy1996 Members  141WRX Points: 0Handicap: 11Posts: 141
    jonflesh wrote:
    Ended up selling my ap2s and keeping the xtd forged. Have them paired with the modus 120. Love them. Have the 3-pw and these are some of the easiest long irons to hit for such a small profile

My exact setup bar the 4 iron. I also added GW and SW to the set. 3 iron is a beast off the tee. The Modus 120S shaft rocks. Put a WV115 in the SW for better feel on partial shots. Nice set sir!
    Posted:
    Nike Vapor Flex, Adila 110 MSi S
    Ping G15, 4W 17 deg, Reg
    Ping i25 4h 22 Reg
    XTD Forged 3, 5-PW, AW, Nippon Pro Mod120S
    XTD Forged SW, Nippon WV115
    Ben Hogan TK15 60 deg LW
    TM Limited Spider Black/Red
  • Jsandy1996Jsandy1996 Members  141WRX Points: 0Handicap: 11Posts: 141
    BTW the stock hybrids suck. Seek out the 3 and 4 iron if you want them or buy 5-PW and add something different. I have the 3 iron for tight tee shots and low bullets and added an i25 4 hybrid. Money!
    Posted:
    Nike Vapor Flex, Adila 110 MSi S
    Ping G15, 4W 17 deg, Reg
    Ping i25 4h 22 Reg
    XTD Forged 3, 5-PW, AW, Nippon Pro Mod120S
    XTD Forged SW, Nippon WV115
    Ben Hogan TK15 60 deg LW
    TM Limited Spider Black/Red
  • gooner21gooner21 Members  212WRX Points: 0Posts: 212
    Curious how forgiving these are? I'm playing the Adams Pro Gold irons and really like them but want more forgiveness.
    Posted:
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members  2605WRX Points: 34Handicap: 4Posts: 2,605 Bunkers
    gooner21 wrote:

Curious how forgiving these are? I'm playing the Adams Pro Gold irons and really like them but want more forgiveness.

Very forgiving! Play similar to AP2's or Callaway Apex Pros. I miss mine every day...
    Posted:
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2

Advertisement
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio Members  6263WRX Points: 1,044Handicap: 8Posts: 6,263 Titanium Tees
    I just bought a set of XTD Forged 5-pw, to drop my Modus 120 X (ss2) into. I'm looking forward to the combo, anyone have any experience?
    Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 9° | Ventus Black Velocore 7
    3wd: Titleist TS2 15° (C1) | Diamana D+ LTD 70
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 18° | AD-DI 95
    Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 21° | AD-DI 105/ MP 20 MMC 5-PW | PX Catalyst 100
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) | DG Black Onyx
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89

• WedgeWedge Wedge Members  389WRX Points: 55Posts: 389 Greens
    No experience with that shaft combo, but the XTD forged are outstanding. I've played CMB's for close to 3 years and never thought I'd change. Found great deals on a set of MB2's and XTD forged. Choosing between those 3 sets is impossible. They all have different positive attributes and no negatives. XTD's are in the bag for 2 basic reasons. They're a bit more forgiving and a touch longer. I could play any of the 3 sets and be happy.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
    3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
    Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
    Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
    NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
    I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels
  • divebreckdivebreck Members  377WRX Points: 78Posts: 377 Greens
    Just ordered a set at a couple hundred dollars its a bargain! I still think some of my favorite iron were the pro golds, and I bet my 18 degree pro gold hybrid with matrix shaft goes as far as any i've played with lately!
    Posted:
  • maxfli985maxfli985 Members  1237WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,237 BST Banned
    have my 1st set of these coming in the mail. I've been playing Srixon z745s and love them, but was looking for something new just because. Does the 24* DHY play longer than regular 4 iron? My set has a 4 coming but was contemplating getting 24* or 27* depending on how they perform. Thanks!
    Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6657WRX Points: 612Posts: 6,657 Titanium Tees
    maxfli985 wrote:
    have my 1st set of these coming in the mail. I've been playing Srixon z745s and love them, but was looking for something new just because. Does the 24* DHY play longer than regular 4 iron? My set has a 4 coming but was contemplating getting 24* or 27* depending on how they perform. Thanks!

I got the set with 2 hybrids and 5-pw. To me the 24 dhy plays about a club and a half longer than the 5 iron, so about a half club longer than a 4. But I'll say I've never been a good long iron player as I generally hit a lower ball, for someone that's a better/ higher hitting long iron player the gap might be more normal.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members  464WRX Points: 132Posts: 464 Greens
    I agree with VNutz it is longer than the iron. I have both and prefer to hit the DHY. Even as a low single capper, I'm not good enough where 5 yards at that part of the bag hurts me.
    Posted:
    Thanks guys!
    Posted:
  • LObinLObin Members  1603WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,603 Platinum Tees
    Don't think they well feel as good as your Srixon's but forgiveness, turff interaction and trajectory control are as good if not better than most player irons.

They're gorgeous (745 are no slush neither!) and when you pure one, the sound is perfection. The little extra distance from the thin face is also a plus.

Just a very very solid set of irons at a very very low price!

Hope you enjoy them!
    Posted:
    Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
    Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
    TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
    Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
    ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
    Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
    TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
    TM Lethal
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members  464WRX Points: 132Posts: 464 Greens
    Yeah, they're not as soft as the z745s ( I have both) because the XTD Forged have a tiny *click* to them that the z745s don't, and although both are great irons, I prefer the performance of the XTD Forged.

Neither are these are as soft as the Adams CMB however, but the XTD Forged just have way too much tech for such a ridiculous price that you can't match.
    Posted:

Yeah, they're not as soft as the z745s ( I have both) because the XTD Forged have a tiny *click* to them that the z745s don't, and although both are great irons, I prefer the performance of the XTD Forged.

Neither are these are as soft as the Adams CMB however, but the XTD Forged just have way too much tech for such a ridiculous price that you can't match.
    th

thanks for info. I have no beef w/ my srixons at all. I hit them well overall but i've had 2 sets of adams and just love the shape of their irons. Slightly rounded but not excessive like callaways tend to be in the short irons.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • divot headdivot head Members  64WRX Points: 45Posts: 64 Bunkers
    Just wanted to bring and old thread back to light here and share my experience with having the XTD forged in the bag 4 to pw irons Ctaper stiff.

I intially went out and got fitted for Srixon 765 irons yes they were soft beautiful looking irons but I hit a draw with them and I did not like that as it did not suit my eye.

I could of gone back to the fitter with them and had them altered to suit but the srixons had lost the battle in my head and I had lost all confidence with them.

Quality of strike was fantastic the shot shape cost me shots due to confidence being shattered by this drawing golf ball.

I bought An Adams XTD forged 7iron previous to the Srixon fitting and loved the flight, shot shape the turf interaction the lot.

Living in the UK it was hard to get hold of a new set of Adams xtd forged at the time hence why I went for the Srixon.

When I give up all hope on the Srixon I started looking for a set of new Irons and stumbled across a set of brand

XTD forged irons on EBAY I had to have them.

Once altered to length the XTD brought back my form confidence a scoring WOW

The 4 iron is just lovely to hit.

I do look at Miura cb57 and the Mizuno jpx 900 tour and think yes they are gorgeous.

But it`s all about how the ball flight looks not the golf clubs sat in the bag.

Anyone else got much love for the Adams xtd forged?
    Posted:
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7353WRX Points: 412Handicap: 5Posts: 7,353 Titanium Tees
    I'm the OP, and believe it or not but I'm coming full circle! This will be the 3rd and hopefully final time owning this set....
    Posted:
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder Members  991WRX Points: 209Handicap: 4.9Posts: 991 Golden Tee
    Adam's last hurrah.

Threw all their tech into a players style iron.

Bought mine at the high $$$ release price.

And have never regretted it.

Edit: Just did a quick troll thru the signatures of

people responding to this thread, and was amazed to

see how many still have the forged XTD in their bag.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II or Piretti 1 of 2 GSS Capri or Piretti GOAT or..........

Flask - Crown Black

Advertisement
    KRW59 wrote:

Adam's last hurrah.

Threw all their tech into a players style iron.

Bought mine at the high $$$ release price.

And have never regretted it.

Stock everything?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.