Ben Hogan FTX

Gxgolfer

For the most demanding player and shot-maker, the club head designs of the FTX forged set differs from club to club, making every club specifically tuned for its task. The club heads of the longest irons feature perimeter weighting of a cavity back blade style with longer blade lengths for improved playability and a muscle back within the cavity to enhance feel and shots. From the 8 iron to the wedges, the cavity back blade style disappears entirely, resulting in a muscle back blade style. For the ultimate feel and appearance, Ben Hogans irons are forged from 1020 carbon steel and adorned with a nickel chrome finish.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Hey golferboy just exactly how cheap are they? I have been looking to add a backup set to my I10's.

Jumping in here...Like New (read new with plastic) condition from Callawaygolfpreowned.com for $271.99.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Jumping in here...Like New (read new with plastic) condition from Callawaygolfpreowned.com for $271.99.

About to pull the trigger on those, just way too cheap to pass up. Hit 6 iron at the range this morning and it felt great.

Question for those familiar with Apex shafts: there's two shaft options listed on callawaygolfpreowned - Apex Steel and Apex Edge Steel. Is there a difference between the two provided the stiffness is the same (4stiff)?

• 4 weeks later...

I love mine, for $280 shipped from callaway preowned I couldn't pass them up

the blades aren't that hard to hit at all, and the cavities are plenty forgiving as well

the trajectory is much improved over my old ballooning LT2's

now that I'm back with forged clubs, I have much better control over the trajectory and direction of the ball and I also get more spin to hold greens with,

I'm not going back to cast clubs again, forged is the way to go

I played with these irons for about a year, and I agree, these irons are a great set and offer very good feedback as well as shot shaping ability, while still being pretty forgiving.

However, I've noticed that the ferrules seem to come to separate from the club head after a few months of use. This happened to my friend's set of FTX's as well. Has this happen to anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Likes: I've been playing with these clubs for a month now and have been very impressed with the performance of these. The 3i thru 7i are Cavity Backs are basically re-branded Apex Pro's while the 8i thru E (PW) are very reminiscent of the 98 - 02 Apex Blades. Both were excellent sets of clubs and this combo set offers the best of both worlds. These clubs are very workable left, right, high, low and the Forging of these are incredibly soft. Softer than my old X-Forged and at impact it feels you you just struck a marshmallow.

The stock Apex shaft (manufactured by Royal Precision) are about the same weight as a Project X 5.5 @ 116g but is a higher launching shaft. Those of us with less than tour caliber swing speeds will appreciate this as they deliver a nice high ball flight that allows you to stop a 3i on the green, no need for a hybrid with these. Also, the lofts are a bit juiced with a 20º 3i and 23º 4i, so these clubs are not lacking in distance either.

Looks: These clubs are like jewelry for your golf bag, they are an absolutely beautiful set of irons. They have a thin topline and frame the ball great at address.

Dislikes: The heads seem a bit light in the cavity backs when compared to my Apex Blades which took some getting used to as I didn't feel like I had any idea where the head was in my swing. The forging is incredible soft and dent very easily (not bag chatter, but dents). Hogan stock grips also seem a bit thinner than standard Tour Velvets so it you have quick wrists you might want to replace these with thicker grips.

The Juiced lofts do add a larger gap between the 46º PW and your other wedges making a gap wedge almost a necessity. Another solution is to just have these adjusted 1º weaker which will add another 1º of bounce.

Originally these were targeted toward higher handicap players as game improvement irons, but that is certainly not the case. Shots hit a tad low will elevate and travel, but these are not forgiving off toe shots. If you are looking at these irons, you need to stay in the center of the face to get these to perform.

Quality: I have owned a few sets of Hogans and have not had any quality issues except for ferrules coming loose after a season. I would expect the same to happen to these.

Cost: These originally were around the $799 mark, but currently can be picked up for $259 brand new from Callaway Golf Pre-Owned

Standard Specs:

Club / Lie / Loft / Length / Offset / Bounce

3 60.5 20º 38.75" 0.155" +2º

4 61.0 23º 38.25" 0.150" +3º

5 61.5 26º 37.75" 0.145" +3º

6 62.0 30º 37.25" 0.140" +4º

7 62.5 34º 36.75" 0.135" +5º

8 63.0 38º 36.25" 0.130" +6º

9 63.5 42º 35.75" 0.125" +7º

E 64.0 46º 35.50" 0.120" +7º

• 3 weeks later...

I'm contemplating getting a set of these irons or maybe a set of X-forged. The only problem is that it's hard to find a set of hogans that is longer than standard length. I need them to be +1", but every set I've seen is standard. I guess I could reshaft the set with some kb tours and bend the heads upright, but that would probably cost another $400, and the set will probably only cost $200. It seems like longer x-forged sets are all over the place, and while they cost a little more, I wouldn't need to reshaft. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm contemplating getting a set of these irons or maybe a set of X-forged. The only problem is that it's hard to find a set of hogans that is longer than standard length. I need them to be +1", but every set I've seen is standard. I guess I could reshaft the set with some kb tours and bend the heads upright, but that would probably cost another $400, and the set will probably only cost $200. It seems like longer x-forged sets are all over the place, and while they cost a little more, I wouldn't need to reshaft. Anyone else have this problem?

Great sticks.....I believe Cally PreOwned will adjust for you (when you purchase) them for like 5 or 10 a club. So if 260 + 80 to add length, that's still a steel

WHomever said these we aimed at high handicappers when released must be HIGH for stating that....these were player's cavity backs, one of first progressive sets out there

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I just got these off of callaway preowned and they are awesome irons. Nice trajectory and great feel. I do have one question though! With these being a relatively soft forging will face wear be an issue with these clubs? I play around 50-60 rounds a season and practice quite often (benefits of working at a course). Will these wear quicker than other clubs? If thats the case I would almost consider picking up a backup set (at $260 its hard not too)....but I think I'm going to wait a while...see if the love is still there after the honeymoon lol

• 4 weeks later...

I have a dilemma. I got fitted with FTX irons about 3 years ago and proceeded to change my shafts from Apex 3 to DG Lite Stiff (w/ copper Winn Classic grips). I too also felt that the head felt a bit light with some irons, so the club maker swing weighted the whole thing at exactly D-2 and even adjusted the lie to +1 from stock. So far so good....

A year after I got these made for me, I had a serious injury to my back and my golf swing is entirely different. Thus, I feel unworthy of playing Ben Hogans. Now, I mainly play with Callaway clubs with much softer shafts because they are easier on my back and go straight no matter how you hit it. From time to time, I look at my beautiful FTX's and daydream that some day I might be able to play them again.

the big question is: Should I just let them go? Or should I keep it as a museum piece?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got these as a backup set given how cheap they are ($299 brand new) and because I've always been impressed (and somewhat puzzled) how Hogan has managed to continue to keep making one of the best forgings through all the ownership changes and financial problems the line's had. I think they're on the short list of forgings along with Mizunos and Miuras, but for anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/2 half the price. That said I wish they had a different shaft. Apex is just too light and weak for the type of player this club appeals too. I also think these are setup a degree to upright and the grips are a bit larger than standard and of not a high quality either. But even after changing the shaft, lie and grip, the head quality makes these the best deal out there.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...