Damascus Steel Machine M10 Twins! 5 Different Kinds of Damascus Steel on Two Putters!

rbhan12

6/1/15, rainy day = putter photoshoot! Took some new photos at home that show the finer patterns and details of the damascus steel. Enjoy!

Hey guys,

As Dave said in the MACHINE Putters Picture thread, this post has been a long time coming. It started off with purchasing a DH89 and selling it because I just didn't get along with the toe hang from the standard plumber's neck! I knew it was time to replace it with something more face balanced and of the same shape. Because I wanted to make these truly my own and truly special, there was no choice for the base metal other than Damascus steel.

As luck may have it, I found my inspiration here:

http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__5370

At this point, I knew I would be reaching out to Chris and Dave at Machine. I leave the rest to Dave, as he said it best in his thread.

"This project started as one putter, and turned into two! A member here pushed Chris, the team and I to make some new combinations that we hadn't done before, and it led us down a long and winding journey... a few twists and turns, some serious bumps in the road, a few dead end paths, and ultimately, a couple of really cool putters, IMHO. I'm really grateful for the inspiration, patience and support during the whole process.

So, without further ado, here are some "family photos" of a pair of new Custom M10 Damascus MACHINE ART putters.

The putter with the silver-grey finish is Tidal Wave Damascus with a first-of "Silver Lining" finish, featuring a first-of custom-forged Mokume Gane face insert with TMG-32 grooves, Ball-nosed pill cuts in the sole, a floating face cut, a ball-nosed dot pill cut Long Plumber neck, and a Crocodile-pattern Stainless Damascus Logo Medallion. The finish on this putter was achieved after much experimentation and quite a bit of elbow grease. It's hard to capture it well in photos, and is even more beautiful in person.

The putter with the darker finish is Stainless Steel Damascus with Ball-nosed pill cuts in the sole, a floating face cut, a Twisted Long Plumber neck, a fly-cut face, and Titanium Damascus Logo Medallion. The head, hosel and medallion have all undergone numerous layers of hand finishing, and the colors really change dramatically in the light. Head weight is 350 grams.

Both putters are intentionally subtle and clean at address, all the better for gaming."

I can't say enough how about Dave's character. He is the epitome of class, and will do just about anything to make his customers happy. The "stars aligned" for me and I ended up with two beautiful putters. I can't imagine any other putter maker having done what he's done for me throughout this entire process, and always with nothing but grace. Even when the road was indeed bumpy and frustrating, we both put aside our irrationalities and went back to the drawing board. Without further ado, here are higher resolution photos of my two new Damascus Steel M10 putters.

Stainless Steel Damascus with Titanium Damascus Medallion and a Fully Twisted Long Plumber's Neck

Tidal Wave Damascus with custom Mokume Gane Damascus Face Insert, Stainless Steel Alligator Damascus Medallion, and Ball Nose Cut Long Neck

What's the point of Damascus Twins without some family photos?

Here are the dropbox viewing links for those who are interested in seeing the fully-sized and additional photos of the putters individually and together.

https://www.dropbox....mftEDmd-Wa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....W4IIAFoQTa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....fwyVb9N1Ea?dl=0

Thanks for reading this long post! I hope you enjoyed the photos, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. Can't wait to see these in person.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Wow!!! So pretty!

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

RB,
Absolutely great choices there, the long neck with pill cuts and insert looks particularly good for a gamer and whenever we make it to the Black, would love to give it a roll! The twisty is truly a piece of functional art! Congratulations!

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='DB MACHINE' timestamp='1427684984' post='11243099']
RB,

I'm sending you putters and Spring weather from Texas!!! Thanks again for all your support. Can't wait to hear what you think when you finally get these putters in hand.

Looking forward to our Golf and Tito's. :)

-DB

PS: Great new avatar!!
[/quote]

I swear I'm gonna choke that groundhog when that SOB sticks his head out. Tito's is on me!

[quote name='derek08844' timestamp='1427685591' post='11243171']
Those look sick! Love the twisty neck on the first one :pimp: .

How can you order a machine now because the websites down? And when will it be back up?
[/quote]

Shoot choeppner or DB MACHINE a PM. They'll take care of you!

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1427685992' post='11243209']
LOVE the Tidal Wave
[/quote]

Thanks C. Hope all is well out there in California and with the munchkin!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

Fantastic putters. Congratulations! You're biggest problem is going to be which one to put into play, though don't rule out carrying them both and using them on alternate holes :man_in_love: . Who needs three wedges anyway!?

I have an M10 in the works at the moment and would certainly echo your sentiments about Dave and Chris, who have been great.

Be sure to post a review once they arrive...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'll have these in hand hopefully tomorrow evening and will add a few photos of my own then.

Brb, need to change my underwear

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

[quote name='j.a.' timestamp='1428351730' post='11296677']
Those putters are truly amazing!

Does the Damascus have any face milling? If it does, it's perfectly camouflaged

Great job from all of you.
[/quote]

Thanks! The milling is more evident on the dropbox links, WRX reduces photo quality significantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic putters. What was the timeframe from initial contact to starting work, and then starting work to completed project?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

RB,
Out of those two fantastic choices, is one establishing itself as the early favorite for use in majority of rounds?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1429756500' post='11421701']
Fantastic putters. What was the timeframe from initial contact to starting work, and then starting work to completed project?
[/quote]

Well, that's a tricky question. Dave had to place an order for the Tidal Wave Damascus billet, which took something like 8 weeks to be completed and arrive. However, Dave did offer to use an Ocean Wave Damascus billet instead, which he had in the shop already. Unfortunately, there was some miscommunication, and Dave was kind enough to start with a new billet.

So, now we're on billet #2, and unfortunately the head fails in the final stages. Dave, again, was kind enough to offer to upgrade me to Stainless Steel Damascus (!!!) because of the length of the process. Midway through the SSD being finished, Dave shows me the original putter we worked on in the beautiful Silver Linings finish, and I just knew I had to have it.

So that's how I ended up with two putters! All in all, it took about 6 months. However this was under extenuating circumstances and involved making 3 putters. Between Dave having other customers and the Bobby Jones line, he was understandably busy. Between the business doing well and the damn white stuff that was everywhere, I didn't mind waiting.

Realistically, the putter could have taken 4 weeks if I took Dave up on his offer to change the billet to Ocean Wave Damascus. If you plan on ordering a Damascus MACHINE and you want the putter ASAP, I recommend asking what billets he has in stock, as it can surely shorten your waiting time!

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1429756735' post='11421731']
RB,
Out of those two fantastic choices, is one establishing itself as the early favorite for use in majority of rounds?
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Mitchell, class act. Surprisingly, I think it's going to be the SSD. With some guidance from Dave, I painted the sight line white, and the putter just came alive. It became very easy to align the putter and I just love the feel of the SSD. It's also a maintenance free putter, which is a huge advantage over the TWD in and of itself.

I do think the TWD is a bit softer, and I LOVE the finish. I think I'll have to split time with the two for casual rounds, but any tournament round or event where I may want to "show some flex," I'll bring the SSD. Or do I bring the TWD because of the press fit insert? Decisions decisions!

Hope this answers your question and adds to my dilemma :)

• 1 month later...

Just got to see these two sexy sisters myself. Like the twins at the Playboy mansion I would do dirty things to them!

Wait, are we really talking about two Long Neck custom M10's made of Damascus?

So awesome RBhan, love them and hope they love you back.

-Benny

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated