2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Masters Advice from those who have gone (pick up thread)

So I'm heading to the Masters and was seeking some advice to be as prepared as possible for my 1 day there!

I plan on/expect to be picking up a decent amount of merchandise for myself (hats, shirts, jackets, umbrella, etc...)

Whats the best way to go about doing so? I will be there Saturday so I was thinking attack the merchandise tent first thing before good items sell out, bring a backpack to fill up and walk around with it for the day.

How does parking / shuttle / cell phone usage go there? Anything I should bring?

Please share anything you recommend picking up

All ears and just excited to hear about it

thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have storage lockers that you can put your purchased items in for the day. I would do this to prevent the back pack issue.
I have been many times and parking is not an issue, just follow the signs. Avoid Washington Rd, you can google parking at The Masters and get a map. I am not aware of any shuttles, never have needed one.
Cell Phone are not allowed at The Masters. It is enforced !!!!
Get there early as possible, go to merchandise tent/building first and wear comfortable shoes.

If you NEED to bring a bag, check their size guidelines first. When I went in 2013 there was a long line to the main gate, and the guy in front of me got rejected on his bag size, had to go back to his car and wait in line all over again. I'd suggest forgetting the bag altogether. Cell phones are definitely a no go. Buy all your stuff early, and check it, either to be shipped home or to be picked up in the afternoon. Super easy, just might take a while waiting in line. Parking, when I went, was close to the course and really easy, you just have to wait in line to get in.

ENJOY!! :)

Thanks for the feedback, great to know about the storage lockers. That will certainly come in handy.

As far as cell phones, I guess it is best to leave in car or hotel? I assume they don't allow cameras either? It's too bad we can't put our phones in airplane mode and take some nice pics.

In terms of parking, is there 1 big official lot that you're directed to? Or just several different smaller lots / peoples driveways with different prices?

So it looks like the website says gates open at 8. Do you guys recommend showing up way before that? I don't want to spend an hour in line waiting to get in haha.

Thanks again for any info!

If you look at Augusta on Google maps, or Google earth, there is a large, brown area immediately to the west of the driving range, that's the parking lot, or at least where I parked. I only went on for a practice round so I don't know if that area fills up for a tournament day. From there you can see the main entrance in grey that fans out just below the driving range. I don't know if there are other entrances for attendees, but this is the main one.

No cameras, no phones for tournament days, and they'll enforce it. For every 100 people that follow the rules properly, you could be certain there would be an idiot or two that ruins it for the rest. Leave it in the car, you won't miss it, wear a watch. You can have cameras for practice rounds though.

No one has mentioned it but bring lots of jack--- that stuff is expensive--- and hard not to buy a lot since you are only there once.

I went in 2013--- and went in the side entrance believe near 15 green (think that is right). If its still the case they really had 2 major merchandise tents. The biggest/widest selection was off of 1 tee (down the hill) by the club house. The other one was just inside the opposite side entrance where I went it. good selection but not as much as by #1.

They also have smaller merchandise tents on the course and at least on 15 green entrance one tent outside of the entrance. We made the mistake in going in there (did ask) if what they sold was the same inside. They told us yes but definitely a lie. The inside tents have a lot more. They were almost sold out at the time so we got sucked into buying less than stellar stuff

Merchandise has been covered completely well by the others guys.

As far as gates open, it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk to the gates near #15, but you get in easier and less of a bottle neck once in.

Also, gates open at 8 means people are there by 7, and they are open by 7:30ish.

If you see a leather putter cover, I'd love to get one. They sold out last year.

Your options are buy & stow at their "stuff check" or have them ship it.

Went last year. Bought our stuff on the way in, put it all in storage (we didn't want to ship it out because we wanted to give it to people when we got back).

We were there Sunday. Stayed until Bubba was on #17 & it was pretty clear who was going to win. Left when a lot of other people were leaving. The line at the "stuff check" was at least 500 yards long.

Got through it in less than 30 minutes. Those folks know how to organize ...

Really, really, really thankful for the opportunity. Would love to go again some year. Would do the same thing.

Take plastic, not cash, for your gear. Contrary to a previous poster, the stuff is NOT expensive - not when you consider what they could charge (and get it), not considering what a typical Golf Course shop charges for similar items. The reason you're going to spend a lot isn't because of price, it's because of volume - you're going to want to take one of just about everything .....

Food & beverage is very reasonably priced - no "Movie Theater Prices" at The Masters. They have concessions organized within an inch of its life too - in & out like you've been shot out of a cannon.

OK, I exaggerate ... some. Seriously, though, they get you moving no matter what (including bathrooms :)

[quote name='Greyboy' timestamp='1427833423' post='11255303']
Does anyone know if you can access the merchandise tents without a ticket for that day? For example, if I'm in town Thursday but don't have tickets until Friday, can I go there and buy my items Thursday?

Thanks
[/quote]

Here's a satellite shot from Google earth. To the right and below is the driving range and practice greens, the gray/black on the bottom left is the pavement entrance that fans apart at the main gate, at the bottom just above the words "Private Driveway." Outside the gate there is a merchandise tent where you can buy things without having a ticket. I believe this is where the main online retailer gets the majority of their stuff. You can buy stuff there, but when I went it was a madhouse, and it's smaller so the selection is limited.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1427834175' post='11255403']
[quote name='Greyboy' timestamp='1427833423' post='11255303']
Does anyone know if you can access the merchandise tents without a ticket for that day? For example, if I'm in town Thursday but don't have tickets until Friday, can I go there and buy my items Thursday?

Thanks
[/quote]

Here's a satellite shot from Google earth. To the right and below is the driving range and practice greens, the gray/black on the bottom left is the pavement entrance that fans apart at the main gate, at the bottom just above the words "Private Driveway." Outside the gate there is a merchandise tent where you can buy things without having a ticket. I believe this is where the main online retailer gets the majority of their stuff. You can buy stuff there, but when I went it was a madhouse, and it's smaller so the selection is limited.
[/quote]

Awesome thanks!

• 4 months later...

Came across this thread during a search for tips on heading to the Masters. Looking at trying to go to the 2016 Tourney. Gonna revive it for a minute, as I have a question:

What should one expect to pay for aftermarket tickets? We're maybe looking at doing Saturday/Sunday, with the possibility of also doing the Par 3 tourney.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Saturday/Sunday, when are you planning on buying tickets? If you wait till tournament week, especially when you get there, the price depends on the leaderboard. Up front in advance, if you can wait till the initial rush is over, probably a grand to $1500 a day for those 2 days, plus likely a deposit for the badges so you will return them to the badge holder (as many collect or sell them). If you wait till closer to tournament week, it could go up or down depending on if a big name drops out. There's so many factors that go into prices at Augusta.

From what I've heard from friends, expect to pay $300-500 for practice round tickets, and well over a thousand for tournament / weekend tickets. I'm sure those Saturday and Sunday prices can sky rocket depending on who is in the lead, or in the hunt.

I was the OP of this thread, and I have to say thanks again to all that have contributed. This information was very helpful and what an amazing experience it was to go there for the first time. I can't wait to get back there!

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1438663935' post='12074208']
Saturday/Sunday, when are you planning on buying tickets? If you wait till tournament week, especially when you get there, the price depends on the leaderboard. Up front in advance, if you can wait till the initial rush is over, probably a grand to $1500 a day for those 2 days, plus likely a deposit for the badges so you will return them to the badge holder (as many collect or sell them). If you wait till closer to tournament week, it could go up or down depending on if a big name drops out. There's so many factors that go into prices at Augusta.
[/quote]
There's no way we're waiting until the last minute...going to try and jump on this as soon as possible.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Also, just wondering if anyone has some recommended vendors to purchase tickets through. There are a fair amount up on StubHub, but just curious as to whether or not that's the best place to go. I use SH all the time for other sporting events, so I don't have any trust issues with them.