Top 100 U.S. Golf Course.... seekers

Hello Everyone,

I'm an avid golfer and enjoy the game very much. Over my time in the sport I come to appreciate the many subtle things the game offers like sportsmanship, finding new and exciting places to play, meeting some wonderful people during a round you would not meet any other way, the planning of the next great golf escape/vacation and counting down the days until it happens. But most of all I enjoy sharing a round of golf with my Dad, for me there is nothing else better in the world than those few precious hours!

Some time ago I decided to see how many courses on the Top 100 in the U.S. I could play. Mind you I’m not a member of any club or have any personal connections to one either. To date I have played 27 and 6 more that have dropped off the list over time. What I enjoy most is the excitement of being at some of the most hallowed grounds the game has to offer.

I would enjoy hearing from others who are on the same road/path and share some stories they have encountered. I’m not asking anyone to share any information on how they got on, just like to hear some tidbits of your travels and how it felt to be at a place you thought you would never get to in your life.

Here are a couple of topics to help and hopefully get a discussion going:

The most OH $H** invitation to get: The Los Angeles Country Club

The course that surprised you the most and became your favorite: Fishers Island

The biggest disappointment: Valhalla

Now the places I would love to play the most (excluding Augusta, Pine Valley and Cypress Point)

1) Crystal Downs

2) National Golf Links

3) Chicago Golf Club

4) Wade Hampton

5) Sand Hills

Thanks for reading!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As regards Sand Hills..Write them a letter..I did this 15 years ago,and started by saying how much of an avid golfer I was,and getting to them wouldn,t be a problem,and hey presto within a month they had written back to me,with a series of dates that they had available.And with instructions of how then to book with them 1,the golf 2,the accommodation..Even now I still remember the rounds like they were yesterday..
It truly is a special place..If you get there you will never forget it.
Best of luck with your adventure.
IAN..J.

[quote name='gooner64' timestamp='1428233737' post='11286985']
As regards Sand Hills..Write them a letter..I did this 15 years ago,and started by saying how much of an avid golfer I was,and getting to them wouldn,t be a problem,and hey presto within a month they had written back to me,with a series of dates that they had available.And with instructions of how then to book with them 1,the golf 2,the accommodation..Even now I still remember the rounds like they were yesterday..
It truly is a special place..If you get there you will never forget it.
Best of luck with your adventure.
IAN..J.
[/quote]

Thank you very much Ian, I really do appreciate your help!

Some of the golf courses I have been able to play have come from writing a simple letter. Over the last couple of years I have written a letter once a year to Sand Hills asking to play at any time they have, for some reason I have never ever gotten chosen, oh well I guess some things aren't meant to be.

Sounds like amazing time you had there, glad you still have those great memories and thank you so much for sharing, that was awesome!!

Surreal invitation: National Golf Links of America

Biggest surprise: Lancaster Country Club - not a top 100 course (anymore) but just an insanely great course that is massively underrated. A classic Flynn design that's both tough and fun at the same time.

The biggest disappointment: Trump National Bedminster - again not a top 100 course (top 200) but I had heard that it was the best Trump course in the US. I loved Doral and loved West Palm, but didn't like Bedminster as much as those other two. A sensational course though, just didn't live up to the billing as Trump's best.

The other top 100 courses that I've played - Merion, Oakmont, Aronimink, Baltusrol, Winged Foot, Maidstone, Garden City Men's Club - have all been ones that have lived up to the high expectations I had going in.

Want to play: Seminole, Shinnecock, Fishers Island, Friar's Head, Shadow Creek

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1428464832' post='11308895']
Crystal Downs isnt that hard to get on if youre in the area, just ask your pro and he probably can get you on
[/quote]

Thanks Alec!! I kind of never thought that route with that caliber of club before, but hey anything is worth a shot!!! Have you played it before? If so how did you like it??

[quote name='Capitalist!' timestamp='1428497771' post='11310171']
Only 5 left on my list...

But Valhalla is one of em'...

hate to hear it was disappointing...
[/quote]

Hey there Capitalist,

I hate to say this but Valhalla was one of the worst courses I ever saw in my life and played like it too!

I mean I could go on for a bit about this place, but I will tell you my basic take away from the place. Just because you have a flat piece of land (the front 9) and grow the grass tall doesn't mean it's a links style course because it's not! The back 9 was a little better but to me (and just me) it didn't seem to flow together or go with the whole layout of the place, just gave you a sense of being fake, you know what I mean?

A funny story when I meet the member I was playing with that day. I meet him for the first time on the driving range and tried to make some small talk just to get a conversation going. I said that you have a very nice club house here, to which he responded "It's a piece of $H** clubhouse and the only good thing about this place is that they make a stiff drink" tell it like it is Sir :)

Have had a lot of fun times playing Top 100 courses. You didn't say which list you were playing but here are some of my thoughts ....

Best
1.Cypress
2. Pebble
3. Chicago Golf
4. Shinnecock
5. Prairie Dunes

Worst
1. Medinah #3
2. Bethpage
3. Valhalla
4. Olympia Fields North

Sleepers (not on all lists)
1. Cal Club San Francisco
2. Brookside Country Club
3. Canterbury GC

Most Want To Play
1. LACC
2. Crystal Downs
3. Fishers Island
4. Augusta National
5. All the Bandon courses lol!

Soon To Rise To A List

Menlo CC (just redesigned)

This should be a good thread to follow.

That Oh $%!T! Invite - Cypress Point
The course which shocked me and became my favorite - Forest Dunes (which has since dropped off the GD Top 100 list)
Biggest Disappointment - Double Eagle Club - It's a very cool place because of how exclusive the club is. But the layout itself is fairly boring and didn't do a ton for me.

Personal Top 5:
1. Cypress
2. Pebble Beach
3. Muirfield Village
4. Erin Hills
5. The Ocean Course

Disappointments:
1. Double Eagle
2. Blackwolf Run - River Course
3. Harbor Town (which I'm not sure is still on the list)

Top places on my list to play:
1. Augusta (a pipe dream)
2. The Golf Club
3. Crystal Downs
4. Sebonack
5. Nat. Golf Links

This summer I am heading to Bandon with my dad and we will be checking a few more courses off the list.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='ggpro' timestamp='1428937930' post='11347609']
Have had a lot of fun times playing Top 100 courses. You didn't say which list you were playing but here are some of my thoughts ....

Best
1.Cypress
2. Pebble
3. Chicago Golf
4. Shinnecock
5. Prairie Dunes

Worst
1. Medinah #3
2. Bethpage
3. Valhalla
4. Olympia Fields North

3. Canterbury GC

Most Want To Play
1. LACC
2. Crystal Downs
3. Fishers Island
4. Augusta National

Soon To Rise To A List

[/quote]

Hiya ggpro,

I'm going by the Golf Digest list, I know everyone has thier own pro's and con's about it.

You have a great list of golf courses you played, very nice!! I completely agree with your call on Olympia Fields, I found that one to be a huge let down as well.

I will say that I do hope you find yourself on Fishers Island some day because you will fall in love with it big time, it's a epic place!!

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1429021396' post='11355569']

The course which shocked me and became my favorite - Forest Dunes (which has since dropped off the GD Top 100 list)
Biggest Disappointment - Double Eagle Club - It's a very cool place because of how exclusive the club is. But the layout itself is fairly boring and didn't do a ton for me.

Personal Top 5:
1. Cypress
2. Pebble Beach
3. Muirfield Village
4. Erin Hills
5. The Ocean Course

Disappointments:
1. Double Eagle

2. The Golf Club
3. Crystal Downs
4. Sebonack
5. Nat. Golf Links

This summer I am heading to Bandon with my dad and we will be checking a few more courses off the list.
[/quote]

Very nice list Silver Bullets, like you I would totally be like OH $H** on Cypress Point too, that is awesome!

Thats great you and your Dad are going to Bandon Dunes together, hope you guys have alot of great memories out there. Never been there but heard super things about it, let us know what you think!

Got a question, I see you are from Ohio. Can I send you a pm and ask you about a course down there I'm supposed to play this summer, I don't have much information on it but was wondering if you played it. If so thanks, if not no biggie.

I've been lucky enough to play all 10 of the top 10, 19 of the top 20, 36 of the top 50 and 61 of the top 100 in the most recent Golf Digest list.

Personal Top 10 USA

1 Sand Hills
2 Cypress Point
3 National Golf Links of America
4 Oakmont
5 LACC
6 Pine Valley
7 Prairie Dunes
8 Shoreacres
9 Shinnecock Hills
10 Merion

Most Overrated

Olympic Club
Inverness
Olympia Fields
Medinah
Pebble Beach

Top 5 want to play

1 Garden City
2 Southern Hills
3 Baltusrol
4 Pikewood National
5 Milwaukee CC

Most under rated courses in the USA

1 Kittanset (MA)
2 Old Town (NC)
3 Orchard Lake (MI)
4 Lawsonia Links (WI)
5 Sweetens Cove (TN)
6 Somerset Hills (NJ)
7 Franklin Hills (MI)
8 MPCC Shore (CA)
9 The Creek Club (NY)
10 Kirtland (OH)

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='snowdayz' timestamp='1429054538' post='11359945']

Personal Top 5:
1. Cypress
2. Pebble Beach
3. Muirfield Village
4. Erin Hills
5. The Ocean Course

Disappointments:
1. Double Eagle

2. The Golf Club
3. Crystal Downs
4. Sebonack
5. Nat. Golf Links

[/quote]

Very nice list Silver Bullets, like you I would totally be like OH $H** on Cypress Point too, that is awesome!

Thats great you and your Dad are going to Bandon Dunes together, hope you guys have alot of great memories out there. Never been there but heard super things about it, let us know what you think!

Got a question, I see you are from Ohio. Can I send you a pm and ask you about a course down there I'm supposed to play this summer, I don't have much information on it but was wondering if you played it. If so thanks, if not no biggie.
[/quote]

For sure, PM away.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Personal Top 10 USA:

1. Sand Hills
2. Bandon Dunes
3. Old Macdonald
4. Pacific Dunes
5. Bandon Trails
6. Oak Tree National

Most Overrated:

1. Kiawah - Ocean

Top 5 Want to Play

1. Prairie Dunes
2. Merion
3. Pine Valley
4. Chambers Bay
5. Pinehurst #2

Most Underrated Course:

1. Wild Horse GC (Gothenburg, NE)

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='FairwayFred' timestamp='1429061626' post='11360863']
I've been lucky enough to play all 10 of the top 10, 19 of the top 20, 36 of the top 50 and 61 of the top 100 in the most recent Golf Digest list.

Personal Top 10 USA

1 Sand Hills
2 Cypress Point
4 Oakmont
5 LACC
6 Pine Valley
7 Prairie Dunes
8 Shoreacres
9 Shinnecock Hills
10 Merion

Most Overrated

Olympic Club
Inverness
Olympia Fields
Medinah
Pebble Beach

Top 5 want to play

1 Garden City
2 Southern Hills
3 Baltusrol
4 Pikewood National
5 Milwaukee CC

1 Kittanset (MA)
2 Old Town (NC)
3 Orchard Lake (MI)
4 Lawsonia Links (WI)
5 Sweetens Cove (TN)
6 Somerset Hills (NJ)
7 Franklin Hills (MI)
8 MPCC Shore (CA)
9 The Creek Club (NY)
10 Kirtland (OH)
[/quote]

WOW Ari that is a very impressive list from top to bottom!!

I have not come close to what you have accomplished but I totally agree with a couple of your top 10 courses that I have been lucky enough to play, that is a solid line-up!

The one course you did mention, Kittansett, IMO is a great golf course and a very special place. The whole atmosphere that surronds you there just makes you feel comfortable and you know your in for a wonderful day!

[quote name='snowdayz' timestamp='1429054538' post='11359945']

Personal Top 5:
1. Cypress
2. Pebble Beach
3. Muirfield Village
4. Erin Hills
5. The Ocean Course

Disappointments:
1. Double Eagle

2. The Golf Club
3. Crystal Downs
4. Sebonack
5. Nat. Golf Links

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please do, always happy to talk about golf courses lol!

[quote name='snowdayz' timestamp='1428806154' post='11337563']
Crystal Downs isnt that hard to get on if youre in the area, just ask your pro and he probably can get you on
[/quote]

Thanks Alec!! I kind of never thought that route with that caliber of club before, but hey anything is worth a shot!!! Have you played it before? If so how did you like it??
[/quote] I haven't played it yet, im going up to play it during the end of may with a buddy who just got in, (been on the list for 11 years). However, my expectations arent outrageously high, as ive heard from many people that the course isnt as good as it was 10-20 years ago. I'm gonna go into the course with an open mind, and after i play it, ill give you guys an honest review.

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1429148783' post='11369805']
[quote name='snowdayz' timestamp='1428806154' post='11337563']
[/quote]

[/quote] I haven't played it yet, im going up to play it during the end of may with a buddy who just got in, (been on the list for 11 years). However, my expectations arent outrageously high, as ive heard from many people that the course isnt as good as it was 10-20 years ago. I'm gonna go into the course with an open mind, and after i play it, ill give you guys an honest review.
[/quote]

Congrats Alec on being able to play that course, I hope you and your buddy have a great day!

Thanks for the little tidbit on the course conditioning, I have not heard anything like that but living in the lower part of Michigan not to many people talk about C.D.. I look forward to hearing your review about the course very much, Hit'em straight!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#282828]Personal Top 10 USA[/color]

[color=#282828]1 Bandon (BD, PD, OM, BT) in that order[/color]
[color=#282828]2 Whisper Rock(AZ)[/color]
[color=#282828]3 Pebble Beach [/color]
[color=#282828]4 Riveria[/color]
[color=#282828]5 WeKoPa (cholla)[/color]
[color=#282828]6 Troon North (pinnacle)[/color]
[color=#282828]7 Arcadia Bluffs[/color]
[color=#282828]8 Forest Highlands [/color]
[color=#282828]9 Spyglass[/color]
[color=#282828]10 The Ocean Course [/color]

[color=#282828]Most Overrated [/color]

[color="#282828"]Whistling Straits (worst conditioned course for the price)[/color]
[color=#282828]Trump National (Renovated Blue monster was blah)[/color]
[color=#282828]Trum National LA (so bad, perfect drives rewarded with severe side hill lie on nearly every hole)[/color]

[color=#282828]Top 5 want to play [/color]

[color=#282828]1 Cypress[/color]
[color=#282828]2 Augusta[/color]
[color=#282828]3 Monterey Peninsula[/color]
[color=#282828]4 Pine Valley [/color]
[color=#282828]5 Sand Hills[/color]

Personal Top 10 USA

1 Sand Hills
2 Cypress Point
4 Oakmont
5 LACC
6 Pine Valley
7 Prairie Dunes
8 Shoreacres
9 Shinnecock Hills
10 Merion

Most Overrated

Olympic Club
Inverness
Olympia Fields
Medinah
Pebble Beach

Top 5 want to play

1 Garden City
2 Southern Hills
3 Baltusrol
4 Pikewood National
5 Milwaukee CC

1 Kittanset (MA)
2 Old Town (NC)
3 Orchard Lake (MI)
4 Lawsonia Links (WI)
5 Sweetens Cove (TN)
6 Somerset Hills (NJ)
7 Franklin Hills (MI)
8 MPCC Shore (CA)
9 The Creek Club (NY)
10 Kirtland (OH)
[/quote]

and AUGUSTA didn't make your top 10????

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

I'm surprised Southern Hills isn't on anyones list. If you ever get the chance Im pretty positive it will be in your top 10.

• Titleist TSR2 9* AD-VF 6x
  • Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Red 7x
  • Titleist T200 3-5 Modus 105T X
  • Titleist 620MB 6-9  Modus 105T X
  • Titleist Vokey- Sm9 Raw 46*/10 50*/12 54*/12  58*/08 DG TI 400
  • Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6.5

I like this thread. A few I have played...Riviera, LACC, Pinehurst, East Lake, Spyglass, Harbour Town, and Pebble.

A few I want to play.... Olympic, Bel Air, Ocean Forest, Yeamans Hall, Congressional, Honors Course, Peachtree, and Pine Valley.

A tip I received and used often is simply asking. The problem/trick is knowing WHEN to ask. Knowing HOW to ask. Knowing a great deal about the club and its history always helps.

Sand Hills is also on my list. Read they have good Tuscan steaks in the clubhouse too.

I have yet to go to Bandon but will knock that out one day.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

[quote name='cradd10' timestamp='1431004129' post='11515899']

Personal Top 10 USA

1 Sand Hills
2 Cypress Point
4 Oakmont
5 LACC
6 Pine Valley
7 Prairie Dunes
8 Shoreacres
9 Shinnecock Hills
10 Merion

Most Overrated

Olympic Club
Inverness
Olympia Fields
Medinah
Pebble Beach

Top 5 want to play

1 Garden City
2 Southern Hills
3 Baltusrol
4 Pikewood National
5 Milwaukee CC

1 Kittanset (MA)
2 Old Town (NC)
3 Orchard Lake (MI)
4 Lawsonia Links (WI)
5 Sweetens Cove (TN)
6 Somerset Hills (NJ)
7 Franklin Hills (MI)
8 MPCC Shore (CA)
9 The Creek Club (NY)
10 Kirtland (OH)
[/quote]

and AUGUSTA didn't make your top 10????
[/quote]

No. I have Augusta towards the bottom of my top 20. It's a great course and obviously quite beautiful but IMO there is better golf out there.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='wingedfoot97' timestamp='1431234607' post='11530816']

A few I want to play.... Ocean Forest, Peachtree

[/quote]

Peachtree is finest course I have played... Get that one for sure...

Was lucky to have played Ocean Forest with Mark Love (Davis Love III's brother) and the tournament director for the McGladrey, Scott Reid... Both excellent gofers... Had a good day and was able to hang with them... It is a top 5 Ocean course IMHO...

Best regards....

[quote name='ggpro' timestamp='1428937930' post='11347609']

Best
1.Cypress
2. Pebble
3. Chicago Golf
4. Shinnecock
5. Prairie Dunes

Worst
1. Medinah #3
2. Bethpage
3. Valhalla
4. Olympia Fields North

3. [b]Canterbury GC[/b]

Most Want To Play
1. LACC
2. Crystal Downs
3. Fishers Island
4. Augusta National

Soon To Rise To A List

[/quote]

Man Glad to see Canterbury CC on your sleeper list. I live literally 2 minutes from it and I work a caddying summer job there. Truly a terrific course.

1 Kittanset (MA)
2 Old Town (NC)
3 Orchard Lake (MI)
[b]4 Lawsonia Links (WI)[/b]
5 Sweetens Cove (TN)
6 Somerset Hills (NJ)
7 Franklin Hills (MI)
8 MPCC Shore (CA)
9 The Creek Club (NY)
10 Kirtland (OH)
[/quote]

Nice to see props being given to my favorite course, Lawsonia Links. Such an amazing course and the improvements they made in the last year only made it better. Looking forward to heading up there Memorial Day weekend for my first of hopefully many rounds there this summer.