Gxgolfer

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

My submission for the Z-Star/Z-Star X

Got my both my sample packs on Friday, took them to the course yesterday and did my "usual" ball test. A few variables for you; I'm 2.3index, swing speed with a driver is 105-108mph, carry 260ish and I'm a "digger/driver" with my wedges and spin the ball a TON with them. I play/live in Seattle, so we have pretty soft fairways and greens 9 months of the year. I tested both balls against my current best ball the new Bridgestone B-330.

I threw down 2 of each ball, 6 total, and hit them in random order on my home course's first hole (long par 5) about 1/2 hour before closing so I have the course to myself. Then I take them all to the 100 yard marker and fire in 6 wedge shots to see how much each ball spins and feels. Then a few putts/chips around the green, then I walk up to the tee box for the 9th hole (another long par 5) which is right above the 1st hole's green and do it all again on the way back to the clubhouse. Rinse/wash/repeat

Driver results: VERY surprising. I walked out to the 6 balls and 2 were about 10 yards behind with all 4 DEAD even with eachother. The Z-Star X was the one left behind! The B330 and Z-Star's were all the SAME EXACT DISTANCE within ONE yard of eachother. The Z-Star feels very soft but firm (is that possible?), but not squishy like a regular V1 off the driver face, it makes the B330 feel like a Top Flite, the Z-Star X is in between the two in feel. BUT, the huge thing was that the Z-Star X spun like crazy off the driver! The flight was weird, started low, and climbed the ladder, kind of reminded me of the old Titleist balata flight off old drivers. These results were EXACTLY the same on the 9th hole also!!!

Wedge results: Again, the Z-Star X spun waaaaay too much. I lost 5 yards of distance and spun the ball back (granted, the greens were pretty soft) from a mid-place pin all the way back off the front of the green. So it landed short and spun shorter, not good for me! This is where the Z-Star really stood out. Same exact amount of spin/distance control as the B330 with a pleasing, soft feel instead of that hard "click" you get from the B330 or a Nike Platinum. Chipping and putting around the greens was a joy with all the lively soft feel of the Z-Star.

Verdict: I found a new ball! After Srixon ditched the Z-UR, I had no ball to play. The Z-URS was too soft and squishy off the driver (10 yards shorter than a V1x) and the Z-URC was much like the Z-Star X...spun waaaaaay too much off EVERYTHING. These problems are what led me to the Bridgestone balls, plus my head pro is a staffer. So here's the kicker; I LOVE the performance of the B-330, but not the feel (actually I felt the same way about the Z-UR also). I figured I would just have to "get used to it". Not anymore. The new Z-Star gives me ALL the performance of my current ball with the softer feel I have been dying for. Same distance off the driver, same spin with my wedges, but feels better on all my short game shots and putts. No brainer.

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sirixon Z star

and Nike one tour, one tour D, and vapo

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since we can't get a Nike Tour One review thread going, I'll post my review here.

Played 3 rds with the Nike Tour One. Am usually a ProV1 guy, but the Dicks Sporting Goods sale on the Nikes - $60 for 2 doz forced me to test it out. Below are some thoughts.

Driver - Nike longer than the ProV1...with less apparent sidespin. Distance wise the Nike is about 8-10 yards longer. Moved me from around 245-250 yds to 255-260 yards on most drives. Nike wins here. Was no real wind here for the last few days, so can't comment on wind performance.

FW and Hybrid - about the same. Both workable and feel good off the club. Distance is a wash.

Irons - ProV1 and Nike both feel soft and spin readily. No real change in distance in either with any iron. On a real crisp wedge shot the ProV1 may spin a tad more, but not much. Both can be worked as desired. A draw here.

Chips and Pitches - lower grabbers and others about the same with both balls. Nike had a more predicable roll out on pitches. Seems like the ProV1 would check up unexpectedly on occasion - probably my fault, but it happened none the less. Nike has edge here.

Putting - Nike is hotter off the putter - for me anyway. Not that this is bad, but it took me a while to get used to not having to hit the Nike as hard as the ProV1. Both are soft and feel good of the putter and roll smoothly. Both are good in this aspect. Different but good.

Verdict - Nike Tour One is a keeper for me, especially at the price above. Will likely go buy another couple of dozen Nike balls and use them till they are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ballschwacker' post='1868479' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:25 AM']Since we can't get a Nike Tour One review thread going, I'll post my review here.

Played 3 rds with the Nike Tour One. Am usually a ProV1 guy, but the Dicks Sporting Goods sale on the Nikes - $60 for 2 doz forced me to test it out. Below are some thoughts.

Driver - Nike longer than the ProV1...with less apparent sidespin. Distance wise the Nike is about 8-10 yards longer. Moved me from around 245-250 yds to 255-260 yards on most drives. Nike wins here. Was no real wind here for the last few days, so can't comment on wind performance.

FW and Hybrid - about the same. Both workable and feel good off the club. Distance is a wash.

Irons - ProV1 and Nike both feel soft and spin readily. No real change in distance in either with any iron. On a real crisp wedge shot the ProV1 may spin a tad more, but not much. Both can be worked as desired. A draw here.

Chips and Pitches - lower grabbers and others about the same with both balls. Nike had a more predicable roll out on pitches. Seems like the ProV1 would check up unexpectedly on occasion - probably my fault, but it happened none the less. Nike has edge here.

Putting - Nike is hotter off the putter - for me anyway. Not that this is bad, but it took me a while to get used to not having to hit the Nike as hard as the ProV1. Both are soft and feel good of the putter and roll smoothly. Both are good in this aspect. Different but good.

Verdict - Nike Tour One is a keeper for me, especially at the price above. Will likely go buy another couple of dozen Nike balls and use them till they are gone.[/quote]

My dad recently went out and got the same balls for the 2 dozen for $60. I was not very happy because i have never been a nike golf fan, and coming from playing Pro V1 i thought it wouldn't compare. But after playing some rounds with these balls i found the very similar results as you.

Driver - More carry and way more roll out. I added probably closer to 20-25 yards of the tee.

Hybrids - I usually have a problem with ballooning my hybrids and always thought it was my shaft but with the new nike i picked up prolly 10 yards. and the ball flight was much better.

Irons - Absolutely no feel difference of my forged irons. Still super soft feel. No noticible yardage gain or loss. But The ball spins great coming out of rough.

Wedges - very similar to the Pro V1. Pro V1 might be a touch softer and maybe gets a little more spin around the greens.

Putter - nike ball is hotter off the face but i like not having to take as big of a stroke to get the ball to the same place.

Verdict - Im sticking with the nike balls and going out and buying as many dozen as i can. Good job Nike :good:

[quote name='liu374' post='1774319' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:02 AM'][quote name='ADAMP27330' post='1498386' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:23 PM']How about a review of the new Nike Vapor.[/quote]

+3 Nike One Vapor...

I think I like it more than the Bridgestone e6+...
[/quote]

+4 Nike one Vapor

Great ball... would love a chance to review it.

• 3 weeks later...