2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Whitefish Golf May 1 Weekend

mikedejong

Hi, looking for a little guidance if possible. A group of us from Edmonton, AB, Canada are planning a four day weekend to play some golf. We were considering the Whitefish area. Will courses be open? Will they be in decent shape, or is it still a little sketchy at this time of year? I called one course (Meadow Lake, or something along those lines) and the guy said they were not yet open. This had me worried a bit. Any locals have any suggestions as to courses to play, or should we scrap that idea and plan to come down there at another time of year? Thanks in advance for any input. Mike.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't live up there anymore but still go home to see family. It could be pretty iffy that time of year, would say it is pretty close honestly but you might be able too. Cant speak to conditions since it is really early and depends on how rough the winter was.

I recall some of the courses opening in April.. or the end of it.

You will have to follow up over the next few weeks, almost have to make the call when you get closer to the date honestly if you should scrap it. [i](call some the courses below and they can give you an idea if they will be open....Pretty much the most played ones in the area)[/i]

Courses, [b]Wilderness Club [/b]in Eureka. 35-40 Drive back up towards Canada (NW). Excellent Course...
[i]Edit: Personally one of my favorites and I have been fortunate to play a lot of the top private tracks in a number of states thanks to clientele.[/i]

[b]Whitefish Lake Golf Club[/b]... Pretty good course and great food.
[b]Big Mountain Golf Course[/b]... Not to bad, a links style course south end of Whitefish area.

[b]Buffalo Hills (Championship Course)[/b] and [b]Eagle Bend[/b] are both great and within a short drive of Whitefish.

Wish you luck, I do like Whitefish and the you can have some fun in that place.

Meadow Lake and Eagle Bend are my two favourites. Both nice courses. Eagle Bend is almost a guarantee that they will be open and there's a good chance Meadow Lake will be. I think they always try to open mid April. Of course calling is the only real way to find out for sure.

If you get a chance, stop in at Ciao Mambo for dinner in Whitefish. One of my favourites anywhere.

Try calling...I have relatives who live in Kalispell so we are down there quite a bit. Just call the courses to ensure they are open but I cannot imagine why they would not be. I am down there next weekend and I plan on golfing.

As to courses Whitefish North is a great course...Whitefish South is diabolical!!! If you get a chance to play Wilderness Club in Eureka I highly recommend it. A Faldo designed course that is a great test of golf...although it will be pretty brown this time of year. Eagle Bend is a very nice course and probably my second favourite in the area.

I like Big Mountain which is just outside of Kalispell and maybe 15-20 minutes tops from downtown Whitefish. I play there the most as good practice facilities and I like the course. A lot of people like Buffalo Hills in Kalispell and I play it a couple of times a year. Lots of risk/reward on that course. Meadow Lake is a bit of a drive but another good course. I haven't played there for a couple of years but I have not heard anything bad about the course.

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

Thanks a lot for the responses. I will make some calls as it gets closer. If the weather doesn't look great we may just plan somewhere else. I have heard Whitefish is a fun place, we will go at some point regardless. Thanks again!

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Hey Mike

We go down to Whitefish every may long weekend (we are from Calgary) this will be year 6 for us

I think all courses will be open then,

Here's my input on the courses down there

We usually do Meadow Lake, then Whitefish north/south same day, and then finish on Northern Pines (use to be big mountain)

Meadow lake - I like this course a lot, reminds me of Athabasca ( my all time fav course, and we go up for the mens open in July) Lots of trees, water, pretty course. But they just emailed me this week to tell me that a Wind/Ice storm came through last week and the course is on 14 Temp greens for the next while, so we moved our tee time, I was told that it only affected meadow lake at this time.

Whitefish South - Starts out kinda of boring, first hole is beside the driving range, then you go back and forth for a few, then you get a major dog leg left, and when you get around the corner, about 30 yards behind the green you see this monster house with 20 foot windows (so in the back of your mind your like don't skull your approach) after that you get near Coon lake with is very pretty. Back 9 goes through some houses. all and all its a decent course, we like it since we can do 36 in one day and not leave the course.

Whitefish north - Decent track, lots of trees, no houses to worry about. (I prefer it over south myself)

Northern pines - Front 9 is links style (wide open, fescue, big greens) back 9 is more traditional, really like this course, plus $2 beer!!! Can't complain about that

Buffalo Run - Not my fav, lots of blind tee shots, and approach shots. And there greens must be sprayed with PAM, cause they are slick!!!!

If you do this annually or are going to I'd recommend using Northwest Montana Golf Association, we have a lady we use every year there, and you can book 4 months in advance on the above courses, plus Village greens in Polson and Indiana Springs in Eureka. They charge $5 per person, per round non refundable deposit. But that gets taken off your rounds when you get there, so its really a free service. We just call her and tell her what days and times and courses and she does the rest, and sends me a confirmation letter. I like it a lot since whitefish will only allow you 36 hour advance booking, and since we come from up north I want confirmed tee times.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions

Winky

Hey Mike

We go down to Whitefish every may long weekend (we are from Calgary) this will be year 6 for us

I think all courses will be open then,

Here's my input on the courses down there

We usually do Meadow Lake, then Whitefish north/south same day, and then finish on Northern Pines (use to be big mountain)

Meadow lake - I like this course a lot, reminds me of Athabasca ( my all time fav course, and we go up for the mens open in July) Lots of trees, water, pretty course. But they just emailed me this week to tell me that a Wind/Ice storm came through last week and the course is on 14 Temp greens for the next while, so we moved our tee time, I was told that it only affected meadow lake at this time.

Whitefish South - Starts out kinda of boring, first hole is beside the driving range, then you go back and forth for a few, then you get a major dog leg left, and when you get around the corner, about 30 yards behind the green you see this monster house with 20 foot windows (so in the back of your mind your like don't skull your approach) after that you get near Coon lake with is very pretty. Back 9 goes through some houses. all and all its a decent course, we like it since we can do 36 in one day and not leave the course.

Whitefish north - Decent track, lots of trees, no houses to worry about. (I prefer it over south myself)

Northern pines - Front 9 is links style (wide open, fescue, big greens) back 9 is more traditional, really like this course, plus $2 beer!!! Can't complain about that

Buffalo Run - Not my fav, lots of blind tee shots, and approach shots. And there greens must be sprayed with PAM, cause they are slick!!!!

If you do this annually or are going to I'd recommend using Northwest Montana Golf Association, we have a lady we use every year there, and you can book 4 months in advance on the above courses, plus Village greens in Polson and Indiana Springs in Eureka. They charge $5 per person, per round non refundable deposit. But that gets taken off your rounds when you get there, so its really a free service. We just call her and tell her what days and times and courses and she does the rest, and sends me a confirmation letter. I like it a lot since whitefish will only allow you 36 hour advance booking, and since we come from up north I want confirmed tee times.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions

Winky

Hey that sounds awesome, thanks for the response and the advice! I think we have decided to go into Invermere BC this time... A little shorter drive, and probably nicer weather for this time of year. We will do Whitefish next time I think, and I will use your booking advice for sure, sounds really good. I appreciate it. Mike

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Hey that sounds awesome, thanks for the response and the advice! I think we have decided to go into Invermere BC this time... A little shorter drive, and probably nicer weather for this time of year. We will do Whitefish next time I think, and I will use your booking advice for sure, sounds really good. I appreciate it. Mike

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Switched things up and played Nothern Pines last weekend. $65 prime time on Saturday is a steal!! Course is in absolutely fantastic shape.

I can't see myself paying the extra $$$ for Whitefish Lake again.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what time the Whitefish courses close for the season?

I’m heading down October 22nd and am wondering if I should bring my clubs.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

• 10 months later...