2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Senior rates everywhere... What about an active duty rate?

I currently reside in Texas and every course I venture to naturally has a senior rate. I have no issues with that as it is to be expected. I do however wonder how when I ask for a possible active duty military rate, I get the "deer in headlights" look as if they have no idea what that means. I have been active duty with the Navy for over ten years now and have been an avid golfer since I picked up the game almost 2 years ago. I mean absolutely no disrespect towards the elderly, but there isn't a single place on this earth that a senior discount isn't offered, yet a military discount is only offered in restaurants as long as a member is in uniform (because people assume that is the only item of clothing we wear).

Ping G410 Plus 9.0 Aldila Rogue Black 130MSI 70TX 44"
2017 Taylormade M2 Tour (16.5 degree) Aldila Tour Blue 80X
Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 iron Aldila Tour Blue 105TX
Taylormade RSI TP 4-PW PX 6.5 (+1/4”)
Maltby TSW 50, 54, and 60 wedges

"That right there was a sister-in-law shot... you're on top, it feels good, but you know you shouldn't be!"

- Random old guy in Texas

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, my course here had a military rate last year (I assume the same thing this year). Both of my girlfriends brothers (shes american) are active duty in the military right now, ones actually overseas right now, and whenever I was with them and they asked if random places had an active duty discount it seemed like they did, this was in oregon but the nike store had a discount, the movie theater did and other places too.

Personally I think courses should have some kind of military discount.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Usually the courses near fleet concentration areas will have military discounts of sorts. Over here in Hawaii, we get the local rate. That is a huge break from the tourist rate, so no complaining here. If you are at a small base where there usnt much military money in the local economy, the "appreciation" usually is less than you see in areas like San Diego and Norfolk. There was one course that was a hold out on giving military the local rate, and I think a few MWR tournaments there changed the managements perspective.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

I have no problem with military rates & yes, I think it's funny that places want you to be in uniform to get it. I work with the military as a contractor. Nearly every place offers a military discount here in Jacksonville, FL (big Navy town). I've never noticed how many golf courses offer military discounts - but the course on base at NAS Jax is always in fantastic shape. I'd play it more if my friends had access to it.

[quote name='Bigrome26' timestamp='1428902248' post='11345571']
I currently reside in Texas and every course I venture to naturally has a senior rate. I have no issues with that as it is to be expected. I do however wonder how when I ask for a possible active duty military rate, I get the "deer in headlights" look as if they have no idea what that means. I have been active duty with the Navy for over ten years now and have been an avid golfer since I picked up the game almost 2 years ago. I mean absolutely no disrespect towards the elderly, but there isn't a single place on this earth that a senior discount isn't offered, yet a military discount is only offered in restaurants as long as a member is in uniform (because people assume that is the only item of clothing we wear).
[/quote]

I think active military should get a discount everywhere.

So should retired military.

All active and retired police and firefighters & EMT's, too.

All active and retired teachers.

All members of the clergy.

All active and retired Peace Corps volunteers.

All active PGA members.

All employees of the golf course.

All elected officials.

All seniors.

Anyone else that should be added to the list?

Nah, let's just make a list of who should pay "full price".

Almost every, if not every course that I play has a military rate (valid as long as you have a military ID, whether you're active duty, reserve, retired or a dependent).
I don't think there's a soul that wouldn't see it fit to give a member of the armed forces a discount, some places just may not encounter enough military to even think about. The senior discount is an interesting thing. The concept of the senior discount originated from a time where people actually retired around 60 and lived on fixed incomes. Nowadays there are a ton of people over 60 in the workforce, and many of whom are at the pinnacle of their earning capacity. But old habits die hard, and it's just more customary to offer a senior discount as opposed to a military or police/firefighter discount.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

What would a satisfactory discount be? My father did 20 years in the Navy and I have a huge respect for active duty and veterans.

Working in a resort area golf course it is tough. We don't offer an official military or senior discount because that would be about 75% of our guests at least. There is no chance for a senior discount but if I can I take care of active duty military as much as possible.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I almost guarantee that if you use one of the online booking tools like Golfnow, or those TeeTimes books for your area, or whatever other discount programs are available, you will find lower rates than would normally be offered by a "special" rate.

I love showing up at a course on a prepaid "Hot Deal" from Golfnow, where I undercut the rack rate by 55% or more.

I've found that there are generally a lot of discounts offered in areas where there are multiple bases, like Norfolk, or where the existence of the base is the main reason the surrounding town is even there, like Ft. Huachuca in Arizona. If that's not the case, try checking with MWR or the USO. I've seen them have discounted rounds available before.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1428926346' post='11346203']
What would a satisfactory discount be? My father did 20 years in the Navy and I have a huge respect for active duty and veterans.

Working in a resort area golf course it is tough. We don't offer an official military or senior discount because that would be about 75% of our guests at least. There is no chance for a senior discount but if I can I take care of active duty military as much as possible.
[/quote]

I don't know if the OP intended for his asking or this thread to go this way, but I hear what you're saying. Nobody wants to be viewed as being anti-military or not sensitive to the needs and fixed budgets of both our active duty and retired military members. People (business owners) also don't want to feel forced to offer such discounts or else be painted as ungrateful for the sacrifices our military makes for us either. I think asking if there is a military discount is perfectly fine... but being pissed when there isn't one offered is a bit gauche. You can simultaneously be extremely grateful for our military and also sensitive to your bottom line as a businessman.

And not that this matters, but I definitely know of some retired military people that never saw anything close to combat and got government jobs upon retirement paying them twice what they were making in the military to basically do the same work. I'm not hating on that at all... but these people aren't exactly hurting for money either. They have full military retirement and benefits (which they earned, for sure) and well paying jobs with benefits, and can definitely afford to pay the same rate as the other patrons. If someone like that came in and was trying to guilt trip someone into a discount, I'd probably be a bit ticked about that too.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1428918821' post='11345949']
[/quote]

All active PGA members.

All elected officials.

All seniors.

[/quote]

I think you left out people playing golf in clown suits because that would just be fun to watch... I would pay extra to be in a foursome with Bozo.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1428918821' post='11345949']
[/quote]

All active PGA members.

All elected officials.

All seniors.

[/quote]

Woman get paid 80 cents on the dollar (yeah I know it is a bs stat) so they definitely should be getting 20% off. Guys under 5'8 also should get a discount since they get paid less (~10%).:)

Personally I like how the base courses base the discount on pay grade. The private making 24k/yr needs a nice discount. The lt colonel making 100k doesn't.

I by no means am looking for charity or a free handout based on the fact that I am military. I also understand that bases do have courses that we have access to, but why should we be limited to those particular courses? I simply ask if a course offers a discount and if not, so be it. My day is not ruined nor does it change my opinion about that course and/or staff.

Ping G410 Plus 9.0 Aldila Rogue Black 130MSI 70TX 44"
2017 Taylormade M2 Tour (16.5 degree) Aldila Tour Blue 80X
Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 iron Aldila Tour Blue 105TX
Taylormade RSI TP 4-PW PX 6.5 (+1/4”)
Maltby TSW 50, 54, and 60 wedges

"That right there was a sister-in-law shot... you're on top, it feels good, but you know you shouldn't be!"

- Random old guy in Texas

Recently had a related discussion with several military and law enforcement related personnel (class size of about 20) , as a result of my employment, regarding discounts offered by businesses. The consensus was that if a business offered an advertised discount as a form of appreciation for service,then the personal ethics of the individual should determine if taking discount was appropriate. In this particular discussion, no one felt it was appropriate to ask for any discount that was not readily advertised/offered by business. I am not questioning character or integrity of any individual asking for any reduction in fees as a result of status/service, just felt that particular experience may be relevant to discussion.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='UofU02' timestamp='1428933700' post='11346933']
The courses at Hill Air Force base in Utah and Nellis in Vegas are outstanding and inexpensive for military personnel.
[/quote]

I thought the course at Nellis was far from amazing, in fact I'd probably say the opposite. Hill was a pretty good course.

[quote name='Bigrome26' timestamp='1428989115' post='11353951']
I also understand that bases do have courses that we have access to, but why should we be limited to those particular courses? I simply ask if a course offers a discount and if not, so be it. My day is not ruined nor does it change my opinion about that course and/or staff.
[/quote]

You aren't limited to courses on base, who said you are? In fact the opposite is the truth the general public can't play many courses on military bases (some are now open to the public at a higher rate than military pay). You can pay to play any public or resort course you want, similarly you could join a private club. I'm not saying asking for a discount is a bad thing but your posts have come off like you feel you are entitled to a discount. Courses/businesses are out to make a profit, period. I'm not saying discounts aren't given with good intentions but in the age of extreme patriotism showing that you support the troops might get your more than the discount costs you (especially if folks feel they shouldn't ask for them as [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/2251-mitchell/"]Mitchell[/url] posts). I figure senior discounts are given to attract a desired demographic the course wants to attract for financial purposes, individuals who probably have a good amount of free time and disposable income.

All that being said here's some free advertising for a few places I've utilized (or plan to utilize) military discounts:
Bandon OR - Bandon Dunes: Discounted golf
Maui - Kapalua: Discounted golf
Miami FL - Doral: Discounted golf on a few of their courses at twilight (not sure if this is true anymore after the sale to Trump)
Pinehurst NC - Pinehurst CC: Discounted hotel and golf, also has a military day where they offer free golf on one of the course (last year it was on #8) and discounted spa/shopping.
Kiawah: Discounted golf
Harbour Town: Discounted golf
Sawgrass: Discounted golf
Eglin FL area - Bluewater Bay, Shalimar Pointe: Discounted golf, membership fees and initiation fees
Dayton OH - NCR CC: Waived initiation fee
Orlando FL - Disney Courses: Discounted golf
Monterey CA area - Laguna Seca, Bayonet/Blackhorse, Poppy Hills and Pacific Grove: Discounted golf
Auburn CA (Sac area) - Darkhorse Golf: Discounted golf
SF CA - Presidio Golf: Nor Cal golf rate for all military
Napa CA - Chardonnay Golf: Discounted golf
LA CA - Lost Canyons: Discounted golf

BrianL99,
If you choose to be sarcastic in tone, please exclude my posts, especially quoting only portion not reflecting entirety of context, from inclusion in your commentary.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Many courses do if they are around installations or vacation destinations. I never expect one but will ask just in case. At Disney, for instance, it is the same as their Florida resident rate. It all just depends on the ownership/management of the course.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2