DJ vs. DJ, MCS technique levels the playing field between athletic phenom and your average couch po

http://waxgolf.com/2015/04/11/shark-bake-saturday-dustin-johnsons-ball-speed/

I thought this article by DJ Watts is most telling on the value of learning a proper pivot to generate power. DJ Watts is well past his prime athletically in age and in looks appears to be more likely to go to Dunkin Donuts rather than the gym and yet has no problem equaling the ball speed numbers of one of the if not the longest driver on tour on his fist visit to the range after a 6 month layoff. And even more telling is Dustin appears to be trying to get everything out of his effort while Watts' swing appears lackadaisical and for those with an eye to mechanical correctness, will not be getting hurt out there swinging.

The problem with these athletic stretching swings is the golfer has to change his approach as he gets older as the body loses its elasticity or even worse, rubber banding the body into contorted positions without regard to the impact on the joints promotes irreparable degenerative conditions. Why not learn a swing built for a life time of peak performance?

And that has been my experience.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1429137124' post='11368561']
[url="http://waxgolf.com/2015/04/11/shark-bake-saturday-dustin-johnsons-ball-speed/"]http://waxgolf.com/2...ons-ball-speed/[/url]

I thought this article by DJ Watts is most telling on the value of learning a proper pivot to generate power. DJ Watts is well past his prime athletically in age and in looks appears to be more likely to go to Dunkin Donuts rather than the gym and yet has no problem equaling the ball speed numbers of one of the if not the longest driver on tour on his fist visit to the range after a 6 month layoff. And even more telling is Dustin appears to be trying to get everything out of his effort while Watts' swing appears lackadaisical and for those with an eye to mechanical correctness, will not be getting hurt out there swinging.

The problem with these athletic stretching swings is the golfer has to change his approach as he gets older as the body loses its elasticity or even worse, rubber banding the body into contorted positions without regard to the impact on the joints promotes irreparable degenerative conditions. Why not learn a swing built for a life time of peak performance?

[/quote]

Thanks, DJ...uh, I mean Chief Cowpie.

Swing speed radar is a joke of accuracy and not accurate within 10%. I swing 119 with ridiculous numbers on them. In the real world I'm 109 and 161. Guys that are really long are over 200mph and I know a good number that hit 200mph with 45" drivers on a real launch monitor. His numbers would be much lower on a real launch monitor

Speed after a layoff means nothing. Score on the other hand does. And your boy simply isnt very good

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1429145691' post='11369439']
Swing speed radar is a joke of accuracy and not accurate within 10%. I swing 119 with ridiculous numbers on them. In the real world I'm 109 and 161. Guys that are really long are over 200mph and I know a good number that hit 200mph with 45" drivers on a real launch monitor. His numbers would be much lower on a real launch monitor

Speed after a layoff means nothing. Score on the other hand does. And your boy simply isnt very good
[/quote]

Hi iteachgolf,

I can understand your concern with the SSR. It can be off by up to 10% with club speed, which is I use it to measure ball speed alone. There is no distortion of ball speed because it is a round ball and not a club head with the toe passing the center and heel through impact.

I actually have had a Flightscope reading of up 187 mph, or is that not accurate as well? That's the machine DJ is using in the commercial. I could be mistaken, but I will check with my friend. I did that in the presence of the PGA of America pro I was visiting, or would his word not suffice for you as well? Would that soothe you?

The Flightscope swing from back in January.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOL9tl6jXs[/media]

My swing was a little loose as I hadn't had any range sessions since October and I was only in California for two days helping someone with his swing. But if you're comfortable with a Flightscope reading, I was in the high 170's to 187 max with a dozen or so swings.

The swing from the blog posting is after a couple of days back at it this year, and a little tighter.

Now, I'm a swing researcher, not a long drive competitor. If you're so scornful, what might your ball speed be on a given day, might I ask? Since mine are so woeful to you?

Might I ask what your ball speed and or club speed is? Since you're the authority on what is and isn't good enough? A swing researcher getting Dustin Johnson ball speeds doesn't do it for you, what's your ball speed?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isc9v1w9LEg[/media]

I have swung in front of enough people to not ever have to pad my numbers. It's sad that you travel in different company.

If you have anything concrete to discuss regarding swing theory/technique, that would be great, but if you're just going to troll the thread, I won't be responding any further to you.

Best,

DJ

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1429149443' post='11369885']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1429145691' post='11369439']

[/quote]

Hi iteachgolf,

I actually have had a Flightscope reading of up 187 mph, or is that not accurate as well? That's the machine DJ is using in the commercial. I did that in the presence of the PGA of America pro I was visiting, or would his word not suffice for you as well? Would that soothe you?

The Flightscope swing from back in January.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOL9tl6jXs[/media]

My swing was a little loose as I hadn't had any range sessions since October and I was only in California for two days helping someone with his swing. But if you're comfortable with a Flightscope reading, I was in the high 170's to 187 max with a dozen or so swings.

The swing from the blog posting is after a couple of days back at it this year, and a little tighter.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isc9v1w9LEg[/media]

DJ
[/quote]

Again speed means nothing if you can't play. It's not a long drive contest. You're comparing yourself to guys in tournament conditions when having to keep it play for millions of dollars.

You're a big guy who has a really long way past parallel with a longer than standard shaft and take a wipey move at it. Not surprised you have speed but you can't play at a high level. There's thousands of guys who can put up those ball speeds, especially on the range. I teach a few who swing mid 130s if they want and can hit 200mph ball speeds. And they play for a living.

Again you can't play at a high level and are a big dude who hits it pretty far. Dime a dozen and not impressive. Charles Barkley swung at 130ish mph and he can't break 130. Speed isn't a measure of golfing skill or knowledge.

WRX Friends,

With due respect to my friend Chief C, who is actually a living and breathing person and who is not myself, despite some amusing suggestions to the contrary - I assume he wanted to share his thoughts on swinging MCS - I will add that you don't have to swing at 180 mph ball speed to play golf.

I am a swing researcher and so I'm always looking to see what I can do myself with the MCS swing theory. I certainly don't expect everyone to do it, but if someone is looking to swing with power, I believe I know a thing or two.

This is more representative of what someone with the MCS swing can do, as shown by a Flightscope capture below:

bt-drv-1a.jpg

It is one of several swings and the numbers are real, and the details behind this and additional swing captures for anyone who is into Flightscope/Trackman analysis, you can find more on whom and what here.

Note: When I visited my friend in January, he was getting 165 mph readings on his swing, on the same machine that got me at 187 mph max. And he used Flightscope to send me these readings recently. Just saying...

Now, I'll leave Chief to his thread and I thank him for his friendship and the vintage persimmon clubs he keeps sending me to try out.

Best,

DJ Watts

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1429150243' post='11369943']

Again speed means nothing if you can't play. It's not a long drive contest. You're comparing yourself to guys in tournament conditions when having to keep it play for millions of dollars.

You're a big guy who has a really long way past parallel with a longer than standard shaft and take a wipey move at it. Not surprised you have speed but you can't play at a high level. There's thousands of guys who can put up those ball speeds, especially on the range. I teach a few who swing mid 130s if they want and can hit 200mph ball speeds. And they play for a living.

Again you can't play at a high level and are a big dude who hits it pretty far. Dime a dozen and not impressive. Charles Barkley swung at 130ish mph and he can't break 130. Speed isn't a measure of golfing skill or knowledge.
[/quote]

Good point! John Daly and his MCS should rescind his two major victories for breaking the rule of going past parallel.

And for a guy who takes his lineage from Homer Kelly who had no better than a 12 hdcp. who demonstrated what he devised were the appropriate sound golf positions from his backyard shed for you and many, there is an mammoth inconsistency in your logic that DJ Watts swing is nullified because it takes place at a golf range and not in a tournament. There is a process that your teaching career is based on with technology from the laboratory to the field and so too will this technology advent itself in tournaments ignoring the obvious that history is filled MCS champions and the modern swing contortionists are the aberration.

DJ Watt' swing teaching as well is not pinpointed to long driving but covers the gamut of all shots but who out there wouldn't take the extra yards with increased accuracy which is what this is about... not just longer but long and more accurate.

[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1429151820' post='11370123']
Obvious infomercial is obvious.
[/quote]

That would make sense that something obvious is obvious. So what are your ideas on the information without stating the obvious is obvious that so many threads here are infomercials for Monte or iteach?

[quote name='Wooderson' timestamp='1429179517' post='11371409']
Some of y'all need to chill out. Your comments come across as petty ITeach
[/quote]

Then you haven't been around. Not petty at all but you're free to think what you want. I'm just tired of the constant lies these two come up with to try and push their product. If something is good it stands by itself.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1429168105' post='11371213']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1429150243' post='11369943']

[/quote]

Good point! John Daly and his MCS should rescind his two major victories for breaking the rule of going past parallel.

And for a guy who takes his lineage from Homer Kelly who had no better than a 12 hdcp. who demonstrated what he devised were the appropriate sound golf positions from his backyard shed for you and many, there is an mammoth inconsistency in your logic that DJ Watts swing is nullified because it takes place at a golf range and not in a tournament. There is a process that your teaching career is based on with technology from the laboratory to the field and so too will this technology advent itself in tournaments ignoring the obvious that history is filled MCS champions and the modern swing contortionists are the aberration.

DJ Watt' swing teaching as well is not pinpointed to long driving but covers the gamut of all shots but who out there wouldn't take the extra yards with increased accuracy which is what this is about... not just longer but long and more accurate.
[/quote]

I don't take lineage from anyone. Homer catalogued pieces in golf swings. He got a lot correct and also a good bit wrong. And I'd still argue that even if he got it right on paper you can't be a great teacher without actually playing the game at a high level at some point.

DJ, it seems to the casual observer that each one of your 'swing models' is proclaimed as the ultimate, best one only for you to roll out a new and improved one six months later, which naturally, is even better and more 'ultimate' than the last one. It seems you've taken a leaf out of the TaylorMade handbook in that sense.

It also seems you only pop up on here when you have a product you wish to sell.

Just an observation.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1429168680' post='11371225']
[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1429151820' post='11370123']
Obvious infomercial is obvious.
[/quote]

That would make sense that something obvious is obvious. So what are your ideas on the information without stating the obvious is obvious that so many threads here are infomercials for Monte or iteach?
[/quote]

Herein lies the difference between yourself and Monte/Iteach/LV_2_HACK and other high quality instructors on WRX: the aforementioned instructors help people with their individual swings on a regular basis. People ask for help and these guys offer free advice tailored to a person's particular faults. They don't come on to make blanket statements about why their method is better and will give you x amount of yards. It seems as though you and DJ only come on here when you have a new product to try to sell to the masses: a new iteration of the most perfect swing. Perhaps if you contributed more to the board to help folks and gain some credibility people might take you more seriously. If you truly view yourself as a swing researcher DJ that's fine but you can't use it as a shield to hide behind. If your ideas are good they'll hold water. If not, the people here are knowledgeable to know the difference.

Edited for punctuation.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1429137124' post='11368561']
[url="http://waxgolf.com/2015/04/11/shark-bake-saturday-dustin-johnsons-ball-speed/"]http://waxgolf.com/2...ons-ball-speed/[/url]

[/quote]

When has Dustin ever appeared to be swinging out of his shoes or " trying to get everything" out of his swing? Even in his latest commercial he doesn't appear as someone pushing the limits of his ability.

For the record the game is golf, not driving range. I could not possibly care less what someone can do on a range if they can't bring it to the course. Of course long drive is a different animal a day topic.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see something saying that this is the best or ultimate or anything else that is similar, it turns me away. If there was only one way then people like jack, arnie, bubba, jim, are anyone else would not be playing professional golf. While they have things in their swing that are similar, there isn't just one swing. So in conclusion, from the posts here, no one really cares about it. And if you had a swing that is the best shouldn't you be winning all of the professional golf tournaments?