Odyssey Black Series

Gxgolfer

Black Series Putters

Designed for elite performance, the Odyssey Black Series features precision milled putters with traditional styling. Rather than designing a simple, milled steel putter, we used multi-material construction, resulting in a rare combination of beauty, technology and performance. The putterhead has a rich, nickel-plated finish, and is milled from 1025 carbon steel and tungsten to yield a low, deep center of gravity. Each model utilizes the Fine-Tuned Loft System, which optimizes each putter’s loft angle to produce pure roll characteristics.

# Multi-Material Construction The 1025 carbon steel body and the weighted tungsten flange create a low, deep center of gravity to promote true roll.

Precision Milled Head

# Creates optimal balanced weighting to promote a great feeling stroke and amazing accuracy.

Hogged-Out Hosel

# Removes weight from the hosel and allows it to be redistributed to the tungsten flange, creating a low, deep CG and a truer roll.

Urethane Dampening Layer

# The boundary layer between the tungsten and carbon steel dampens vibration at impact to produce enhanced feel.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little background, I've bought and sold a number of Scotty's, still have 2 leaning against the wall in my office.. I had hopes I'd get comfortable with them, never did; ball seemed to come off the face a bit hot for my tastes on fast greens. When realize, I'd immediately go back to my tried and true Odyssey Whitehot #5 CS that I'd been playing since its introduced. :yes: For sometime I had hoped Odyssey would bring a tour level putter to market with their soft insert. At first they introduced the Black Series which is worthy.

Then three weeks back I discovered Odyssey just introduced 3 - [b]Black Series i[/b] putters; [b]all with multi-layer tour inserts [/b]:D I was so excited I ordered the Black Series i #7 a wk ago and it arrived the end of last week.

[b]Black Series i #7 [/b]is milled from solid 1025 block of carbon steel covered with Nickel-plating and has Tungsten wing flanges, a high MOI and low and back COG - which assists in rolling the ball quicker.

What I know so far is the feel is outstanding on fast greens. During initial tests I have greater distance control, can feel the distance more in my stroke/hands and most important, release the putter head more naturally. I've been making more putts from 12-20ft range then ever before, with misses being 1' or less tap in's, no 3 putts in any of my putting sessions using ProV1X ball.

The ball seems to start rolling quicker and stays firmly on line. I believe the heavier weighted head is made of Nickel and Tungsten contributes to feel and affects my take away tempo in a positive fashion. I really believe I am looking at more birdies from now on.

Black Series is in the same league and price range as Scotty putters... Black Series i putters are in a league of their own; for those of us that can benefit from insert technology, heavier overall, perimeter weighting and balance.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• 1 month later...
Can anyone compare it with the XG White Hot or a Scotty Delmar 3.5?

As I stated in another post, I played the XG White Hot #5 for a long time (while 5 SC putters line my office wall:) Comparatively XG White Hot feels much lighter overall and takes a whack on 30-50' putts, which affects keeping the ball on the intended line. Another aspect I noticed over time was I missed my puts left and right of the cup to often, center shaft and light weight played an important roll in that outcome; costing me stokes.

My experience with “all” SC putters has been the same; reason their lining the wall… the ball comes off the face to hot for my liking. I prefer the polymer face material which softens feel for me, verse the solid faces of SC putters. That said, one of my SC putters is the 1999 Teryllium Two Santa Fe., now there is a fine putter. Sadly though I learned the face insert was slightly off which affected my putts; it has been sidelined ever since. Maybe some day I will send them in to SC for refinish, who knows.

My Bi #7 feels completely different; not only does it have a heavier tour weight feel; the multi-layer polymer insert feels a bit different, slightly firmer, that might be due to the heavier materials surrounding it however. Part of the overall heavier feeling comes for the various materials used in the head. More importantly, I seem to see the technology talked about on their website at work; I can actually see the ball rolling off the face, instead of sliding, and the COG/MOI in my putter which is low and behind the face influences the ball quicker. Additionally, it does not take much of a good stroke to get the ball rolling greater distances. It is truly a feel putter that is going to be around for a long time.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Can anyone compare it with the XG White Hot or a Scotty Delmar 3.5?

As I stated in another post, I played the XG White Hot #5 for a long time (while 5 SC putters line my office wall:) Comparatively XG White Hot feels much lighter overall and takes a whack on 30-50' putts, which affects keeping the ball on the intended line. Another aspect I noticed over time was I missed my puts left and right of the cup to often, center shaft and light weight played an important roll in that outcome; costing me stokes.

My experience with “all” SC putters has been the same; reason their lining the wall… the ball comes off the face to hot for my liking. I prefer the polymer face material which softens feel for me, verse the solid faces of SC putters. That said, one of my SC putters is the 1999 Teryllium Two Santa Fe., now there is a fine putter. Sadly though I learned the face insert was slightly off which affected my putts; it has been sidelined ever since. Maybe some day I will send them in to SC for refinish, who knows.

My Bi #7 feels completely different; not only does it have a heavier tour weight feel; the multi-layer polymer insert feels a bit different, slightly firmer, that might be due to the heavier materials surrounding it however. Part of the overall heavier feeling comes for the various materials used in the head. More importantly, I seem to see the technology talked about on their website at work; I can actually see the ball rolling off the face, instead of sliding, and the COG/MOI in my putter which is low and behind the face influences the ball quicker. Additionally, it does not take much of a good stroke to get the ball rolling greater distances. It is truly a feel putter that is going to be around for a long time.

I just bought the Black series i7, the feel is amazing, cant wait to try it out on the course.. I like the look and the feel is great, what else do you have to say about it??

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever seen a Tour Issue #7? I picked one up at the Nationwide Event the other week. All Black no serial number on the sole still 340 grams, but the all Black head is CLEAN! Also the insert is TOTALLY different, no black dots, and no dimples, it actually has the older Odyssey Logo on it as well. I will try to get some pics for you as well. I was told that the insert was Hard/Soft. Was curious if anyone had a idea for a price "IF" I were to sell her....

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I see that it has a milled face but the insert isnt? Will someone explain this to me?

The original Black Series does not have an insert. The face at quick glance might appear to have one, but it's just how it's milled...all one piece.

The newer Black Series-i does however have an insert if that's what you're talking about. Same milled face, just with a recess in it for the insert to be placed.

Love the original Black Series, the insert ones are not for me.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hello, I like the black series very much, in particular the number 2but then I asked odyssey the specs of this putter and they told me that the head weight is 337grams, no matter the lenght of the putter!!!! how is that possible for a $300 stick? the swingweight (and the feel) is totally different, for example at 35" the sw is about D6.5, at 34" is about D1 and at 33" is about C5. there is a difference of 10 sw points between 35" and 33", I think they should choose a swingweight and then make sure that if you buy the putter at 33", 34" and 35" the swingweight does not change, scotty cameron has different headweights for different lenghts. what do you think?

hello, I like the black series very much, in particular the number 2but then I asked odyssey the specs of this putter and they told me that the head weight is 337grams, no matter the lenght of the putter!!!! how is that possible for a $300 stick? the swingweight (and the feel) is totally different, for example at 35" the sw is about D6.5, at 34" is about D1 and at 33" is about C5. there is a difference of 10 sw points between 35" and 33", I think they should choose a swingweight and then make sure that if you buy the putter at 33", 34" and 35" the swingweight does not change, scotty cameron has different headweights for different lenghts. what do you think?

Confused a little by your comments. You said you like the Black series very much but finding out the swingweight is on the light side you now have a different view? Have you actually putted with the Black #2 or did you mean you just like the looks of the putter? Ping Redwoods are designed the same as the original Black Series, they all have the same headweight no matter the length, unless you place a special order. If a putter feels good and you have confidence in making the putts, all the specs in the world should not make any difference.

I'm not 100% sure on the Black Series, but the Black Series "I" have 3 stock headweights 330/340/350grams and can be used with any putter length.

I'd only imagine the regular black series to be the same.....

I know I had no issues when I custom ordered mine.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

In response to your inquiry, the clubhead weight of Odyssey's Black Series #2 putter is 337g regardless of shaft length. Additionally, at this time Odyssey Golf does not have swingweight measurements for our putters. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I do not know if you can custom order or not (I live in italy and here golf fitting is something that nobody knows), but this putter costs $300. If I try in a store a putter at 35" and then I decide to buy it at 34" I expect to have the same feel, 4 swingweight points less make a total different putter.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought four putters this off season. Started with an XG, then an Odyssey Tour, Ping Redwood D66 and the Black Series #1 milled. Also in the mix was the Redwood Anser. After extensive testing (indoors as sadly it's winter up here) it came down to the two Redwoods and the Black.

All three were beautifully balanced. The Redwoods are slightly heavier. I kept the Anser on line better than the D66. So down to Blacky and the Redwood Anser.

The winner. Black Series #1. This surprised me as the Redwood is the newer design of the two, but the Black has just a tad better speed control and aim for me and my stroke. Also, like the weight a bit better in the Black as the 350 gram Redwood could feel a little too cumbersome at times. Not that the Black is light like the XGs. Far from it. I believe it's around 340 grams

But here's the big difference and where the Black shines. Forgiveness and feel. I used to own a Scotty Mil Spec and I left too many lag putts way short (and I'm a good lag putter) mainly because the sweet spot was just too tiny for me.

The flange on the Odyssey seems to expand the sweet spot to where I've yet to really have a mis-hit that didn't at least go 90% of the distance required. HUGE! Also, Blacky milled face has a great buttery feel that just sends those shivers down your spine knowing you hit a beautiful putt that should soon be in the bottom of the cup. Others did have a great feel especially the TM Mia Kia, but the sweet spot again was too small for me and I'd only get that wonderful soft feedback every third or fourth putt.

I look forward to playing this season with the Black Series #1 milled face in the bag.

• 2 years later...

i have a question about opening the head a bit on the #7. if i heat the shaft , will it come off without hurting the insert? is there a male part which keeps the shaft on. how hard is it to get the shaft off? any info would help. as it is, the face feels closed to me because of the big offset. thx in advance to any help on this topic.[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1201583768' post='888267']
A little background, I've bought and sold a number of Scotty's, still have 2 leaning against the wall in my office.. I had hopes I'd get comfortable with them, never did; ball seemed to come off the face a bit hot for my tastes on fast greens. When realize, I'd immediately go back to my tried and true Odyssey Whitehot #5 CS that I'd been playing since its introduced. :man_in_love: For sometime I had hoped Odyssey would bring a tour level putter to market with their soft insert. At first they introduced the Black Series which is worthy.

Then three weeks back I discovered Odyssey just introduced 3 - [b]Black Series i[/b] putters; [b]all with multi-layer tour inserts [/b]:rolleyes: I was so excited I ordered the Black Series i #7 a wk ago and it arrived the end of last week.

[b]Black Series i #7 [/b]is milled from solid 1025 block of carbon steel covered with Nickel-plating and has Tungsten wing flanges, a high MOI and low and back COG - which assists in rolling the ball quicker.

What I know so far is the feel is outstanding on fast greens. During initial tests I have greater distance control, can feel the distance more in my stroke/hands and most important, release the putter head more naturally. I've been making more putts from 12-20ft range then ever before, with misses being 1' or less tap in's, no 3 putts in any of my putting sessions using ProV1X ball.

The ball seems to start rolling quicker and stays firmly on line. I believe the heavier weighted head is made of Nickel and Tungsten contributes to feel and affects my take away tempo in a positive fashion. I really believe I am looking at more birdies from now on.

Black Series is in the same league and price range as Scotty putters... Black Series i putters are in a league of their own; for those of us that can benefit from insert technology, heavier overall, perimeter weighting and balance.
[/quote]

[quote name='golvenlar' timestamp='1327461732' post='4148031']
i have a question about opening the head a bit on the #7. if i heat the shaft , will it come off without hurting the insert? is there a male part which keeps the shaft on. how hard is it to get the shaft off? any info would help. as it is, the face feels closed to me because of the big offset. thx in advance to any help on this topic.[
[/quote]

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but maybe double bend offset doesn't match your putting style. Mine does not appear or feel closed to me. As for your question, I do NOT know. What I know is if any high end putter doesn't set up right in your eye, its the wrong putter. I wouldn't open the face either, it would be too easy to miss align, ruining the putter. Course, there's always the chance it just might be the Indian. :)

fyi: for years I used White Hot #5 CS. My misses were always the same, left and right. Back before buying BS i #7 I discovered and used Odseey's "simple" putter fitting solution on their website. Its slighty different now, but still provides me with the same result. Every time I tried it, it said I should be playing heel toe weighted and one full shaft offset style. I bought BS i #7 and been happy ever since.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• 11 years later...
On 11/6/2008 at 3:36 PM, MchSt805 said:

The original Black Series does not have an insert. The face at quick glance might appear to have one, but it's just how it's milled...all one piece.

The newer Black Series-i does however have an insert if that's what you're talking about. Same milled face, just with a recess in it for the insert to be placed.

Love the original Black Series, the insert ones are not for me.

The original black series 9 DOES indeed have an insert.       I’ve had that putter since it was released.  

22 hours ago, dddoublep1 said:

The original black series 9 DOES indeed have an insert.       I’ve had that putter since it was released.  

First, do you realize that you replied to a post from 2008?

The original Black Series were fully milled and only came in 3 shapes (1/2/3). The Black Series i was released the next year which had the White Hot Tour insert which is what your 9 is.

Edited by storm319
  • Haha 2