Graphite Iron Shaft Shootout

trhode

For the past couple of weeks, we have been testing graphite iron shafts. The test subject is another WRX member here, Mob. He came to me wanting more consistency and a tighter dispersion with his irons (who doesn't?), so I thought we would post some of the results as of today.

He currently plays UST Recoil Prototype 110-F4, so we used that as the starting point. All the shafts were fit with Club Conex Fuse-Fit adapters. The heads we used were (2) Mizuno MP-59's. He is left handed, so I acquired a couple of heads for cheap. The extra weight of the Club Conex connectors was drilled out of the heads so they were the same to the .1 oz, and the lie angles were bent to fit him. All shots were hit with Titleist Pro V1x balls and measured via Flightscope X2.

Shafts tested:

Recoil Prototype 110-F4

Recoil Prototype 95-F4

Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw - S

Aerotech Steelfiber i95cw - S

Aldila RIP Tour 115 - S

Accra 90i Tour - S

Accra 90i Tour - S (hard stepped)

Accra 100i Tour - S

Accra 110i Tour - X

Veylix Arcane - S

Veylix Arcane - X

Fujikura MCI 90 - S

Fujikura MCI 100 - S

Fujukura MCI 120 - S

We do realize that there are lots of other graphite iron shafts out there, but we narrowed them down to this list.

Day one started with the UST's, Aerotech, Aldila, and Accra shafts.

Day 2 we went back and hit them again, just to confirm the results.

Day 3 we narrow the shafts down from the first 2 sessions and added the Veylix shafts.

Very interesting results. The Veylix X seems to really be a dark horse here. It doesn't feel overly stiff like the Aldila and according to the Veylix spec chart, measures out to a 6.0 FCM, which explains the smooth feel. The Accra 90i Tour was catching our eye after the first two days, so I made up a hard stepped version to throw into the mix via Mob's request, but it didn't give the results we expected. Again, we are looking for a tighter dispersion.

The next session will be today and we will be adding the Fuji's. Stay tuned!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the rest of the results.

Were the swing weights matched through the different selections? Or just the head weights matched?

Although, the only thing I would comment on is that if he's hitting stiff in everything else, you should have tested with the Rip in Reg instead of stiff or at least added it in with the stiff.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1430156646' post='11452025']
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the rest of the results.

Were the swing weights matched through the different selections? Or just the head weights matched?

Although, the only thing I would comment on is that if he's hitting stiff in everything else, you should have tested with the Rip in Reg instead of stiff or at least added it in with the stiff.
[/quote]

Yes, swing weights were matched from shaft to shaft. I had 2 heads so I could be getting the next one ready while he was hitting the other. We went on a recommendation on the RIP. It's really stout feeling. We may add the 95g. and try that.

From what I've seen from Tom's software, the 90 stiff really isn't much softer then the 115 except for a slight firming up at the tip so it's very unlikely that will make it any less stout. Really need to go down a flex. Aldila typically does a pretty good job at trying to keep the flex consistent across different weights of the same model.

[attachment=2731805:rip_stiff_90vs115.jpg]

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1430157876' post='11452185']
The reg starts out fairly 'normal' so doesn't feel as bad as it looks but still gets very stiff in the midsection/tip so can handle quite a bit.

Here is the stiff vs reg vs i110

[attachment=2731807:rip_stif_vs_reg_and_i110.jpg]
[/quote]

I have Tom's software too. I'll see if he's interested in trying it. I can pick these up locally at Swing Science.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1430158259' post='11452229']
I only took a quick look but I didn't notice anything in the results that showed a clear preference for shaft weight (within the range tested) by your subject. There were some good results with both the heavier and lighter shafts. Did you notice anything?
[/quote]

Mainly going off of Player feedback. He currently plays the 110g, but seems to be liking the Accra 90g and Veylix 100g. Last year, his swing speed was up closer to 88mph, but that was in the Fall, so his tempo could be off a bit as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have my shaft profile gauge set up or I would've put those into the software for comparison. Maybe I'll find a place for it.

Other than the Recoil Proto which is spinning more than the others, I'd say all these shafts perform the same. Launch angle is within one degree and spin within a couple hundred rpm's. Play the shafts that feel best. The performance is fine either which way.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Good suggestion on the Regular flex RIP. We will give that a try. We tried the MCI shafts today and they had a really nice feel. Smooth with a nice kick, but tight feel; kind of like a cross between the Recoil and Steelfiber. Unfortunately, the dispersion wasn't a lot different than the others. My main goal was to see if there was a particular shaft that felt good to me (like the MCI described above), but with a tighter dispersion than my 110 Recoil F4 prototypes, but no loss in distance. My significant miss that costs me a few strokes a round, is when I get a little aggressive with a long iron, and pull my shot long and right of the green (I am left handed). The first trial with the Arcane X flex shaft, seemed to eliminate the right side, but I felt like I had to swing a little more aggressively to load the shaft than I really wanted to. Dispersion on the first trial was markedly improved, but feel was not quite as good. When we retried it today, my dispersion was no different than the other shafts. I tried the Accra 90 again today, and really liked it as well. I don't feel like I have found a clear winner yet, but this process has been educational for me. I am willing to give up a little in the feel category, if I can improve the dispersion, and eliminate the right side. We are going to try the RIP 95 in regular flex, and compare it with the Arcane X, Accra 90, and MCI 90 and 100.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

What is the weight of the Arcane shaft in X?

Cobra Speedzone 9.0 Tour AD-GP 6x
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5 Tour AD-TP 7X 
Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5 Tour AD-HD 8x
Tee CB Pro U 21 Tour AD DI 95x
Cobra King Forged Irons 5-G Nippon Modus 130 S
Cobra King Versatile 56* 60* Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Kingston KP001 GSS

[quote name='Kalicardplayer28' timestamp='1430368009' post='11470757']
[/quote]

I asked in another thread and he said 100g.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

[quote name='poppman2142' timestamp='1430401226' post='11472241']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, 100g. Sorry I missed that.

We will be adding the Aldila RIP Tour 90g. in R flex and the new Mitsubishi OT iron shafts to the testing shortly.

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1430403338' post='11472511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

We will be adding the Aldila RIP Tour 90g. in R flex and the new Mitsubishi OT iron shafts to the testing shortly.
[/quote]

trhode
Have you guys thought about trying the AXE tour x iron shaft? This is a great thread and would love to hear how that shaft fits into the mix.

[quote name='mattj' timestamp='1430405373' post='11472781']
[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1430403338' post='11472511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

trhode
Have you guys thought about trying the AXE tour x iron shaft? This is a great thread and would love to hear how that shaft fits into the mix.
[/quote]

I kind of thought about AXE shafts before we started this, but it's not a line I normally deal with. I know they are easy to get, but we had to narrow it down a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore updates guys?

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Sorry, my job has gotten in the way. I am looking forward to trying the RIP 90 regular flex and the Mitsubishi OT. My swing is alittle better with alittle practice; less rusty. When I reflect back on what we have tried so far, I have noticed how good all these graphite iron shafts are. There are so many to choose from. Getting the right weight and bend profile seems to be very important. I would say feel then becomes extremely important. If a shaft feels too stout for me, then it can cause me to alter my swing, in order to try and get the feel that I am loading the shaft. The RIP 115 stiff is the perfect example of this. I think we have been able to narrow down my best performers to: 90-110 gram shafts, nothing that feels to stout for me (subjective), nothing that feels overly lively for me (subjective). Stated flex is not that important. The shafts that seem to match this best so far: Accra Tour, MCI 90 and 100, Arcane. Unfortunately, I wont' get out of work early enough this week to test, but Tony and I are going to shoot for Saturday morning.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

[quote name='PT1911' timestamp='1431470849' post='11548010']
Mob, I know in this test they are not listed but have you tried or heard anything on the Veylix Alpina iron shafts?
[/quote]

I didn't try them, but Tony has them. Perhaps he can tell you a little about them. Tony?

LEFT HANDED

The Alpina shafts are more like the Recoil 660 and 680 shafts. They are lighter weight than most of the shafts we have tested, 63g and 83g. I haven't built that many sets of them. Most guys don't like the white shafts with the gold logo, so they tend to go the Accra route since they are a nice manly black. Lol.

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1431477946' post='11548776']
The Alpina shafts are more like the Recoil 660 and 680 shafts. They are lighter weight than most of the shafts we have tested, 63g and 83g. I haven't built that many sets of them. Most guys don't like the white shafts with the gold logo, so they tend to go the Accra route since they are a nice manly black. Lol.
[/quote]
HA! Yeah, good point, they do look kind of like a womans purse or something. Lol I didn't catch the weights.......not interested anymore. Might have to just go RIP Tour.

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

[quote name='PT1911' timestamp='1431524774' post='11551464']
Changed my mind, I bought a set of Accra Tour 100i based on your posts above.
[/quote]

That is a great shaft and I have been impressed with it, but I wouldn't recommend buying a shaft based on my experience with it. Hope it works for you as well.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1431529803' post='11551986']
[quote name='PT1911' timestamp='1431524774' post='11551464']
Changed my mind, I bought a set of Accra Tour 100i based on your posts above.
[/quote]

That is a great shaft and I have been impressed with it, but I wouldn't recommend buying a shaft based on my experience with it. Hope it works for you as well.
[/quote]
Haha, no worries, I like to buy and try a lot of stuff anyway! I steered clear of the RIP because of SO many reports of stiffnes and feel. After I get done hacking up the Accra's I'm sure they will play great for me. :)

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

So, we have finished our fitting/testing. The RIP Tour 90 had a great showing, but to me personally, didn't have much feel. MOB felt the like the shaft, but the results didn't reflect. The Mitsubishi OT was a great shaft. I thought the R flex felt a little soft for my swing and liked the S flex. MOB was the opposite, and the results were better in the R flex. After testing these new shafts, we went back through the FlightScope log and decided to hit the Accra 90i again and it totally performed. We hit the shaft in 3 different sessions, and it showed the tightest dispersion without loss of distance. I just made up a Accra Tour 90i with a Titleist 690 head provided by MOB for further testing before moving to the whole set.

I have to say, I have been very impressed by the consistency of all of the graphite shafts we have tested. Graphite has gotten a bad rap for a while, but this proves to me that manufacturers have learned to work with different materials to make a very good product that truly performs. But, like steel shafts, there is still a huge difference in feel and performance from brand to brand.

Agree with Tony. I was very impressed with the quality graphite shafts produced by all the companies. I still love my Recoil Prototypes, but want to try something else on one of my other sets. Now that we found the shaft that gave the best numbers (smash, dispersion, total yardage, spin) I am going to test it in the Titleist 690 mb head, both on the monitor, then on the range, side by side with my Epon and Miura 6 irons. Tony will then MOI match the whole set. Looking forward to putting them in play.

It was really interesting to see how important the weight was in choosing the best shaft for my swing. At the end, we tried the Accra in 110, 100, and 90 grams, and it was really interesting to see how the dispersion got worse when I changed from the 90, to the other ones. I am sure that with time, I would get used to whichever weight I chose, but the 90 clearly was the best match during the testing.

Really liked the feel of: the Accra, Recoil, Mitsubishi OT, and Fujikura MCI shafts

LEFT HANDED