2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Took the re-shafted Maxfli Aussie Blades out after work yesterday

I took out my recently re-shafted Maxfli Australian Blades out to play nine after work yesterday. I work at New Mexico State University and play the course there since it is so close after a work day.

It was rather windy and I went off the back nine. Instead of hitting a driver into the wind I teed off with my 4 iron. Number 10 is a 398 yard uphill to the 150 marker and then downhill to the green. It doglegs right.

My tee shot hit the fairway but took the left to right slope and ended up off the fairway right leaving me a blind shot to the green. I hit a 5 iron that landed in the left greenside bunker. Holed out from there for a birdie.

It was a glorious start to a pretty good nine holes for a duffer like me.

It was nice to use the clubs I had when I first took up the game years ago.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jaworsky,

What model Aussie Blades you playing? There's a few Maxfli fans on here, especially me.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Mr. McTavish ,

I snapped a quick photo with my phone for you to see the model.

My first set were some used ones I picked up when I was working part-time doing club repair at a huge driving range/golf shop in the Buffalo,NY area about 1980.

I sadly traded them later towards something else but lucked out a couple years back snagging an almost mint set on ebay that had frosty faces. I paid $85 for 2-9. I finally got them re-shafted with Nippon NS Pro 950 GH shafts. I only had the 4-9 done.

I am waiting to game the pristine set of MacGregor M85 Iron SET 3 to PW ColorKrom irons I got for...sit down first ..$19.95 !!!!!!

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

Nice clubs guys - think those are from somewhere in the 70s.

Classic, simple, elegant.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I think the next time I take them out I will have to use that sleeve of Wilson Prostaff balata balls I still have been hoarding.

Thanks for the timeline on them.

It's too bad no-one has put together a poster of the aussie blade models.

Good history in this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/170737-the-history-of-australian-blades/

One day I may look for a set of 79-81's with the low muscle. For now, I'll game these guys:

AA548F04-8A78-4B9A-B0B3-7A4250993893_zpshqzpkc3j.jpg

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1430509119' post='11481271']
It's too bad no-one has put together a poster of the aussie blade models.
[/quote]

Yeah we sure need one, as there are a few different models and some confusion correctly identifying them all. I think we might have to undertake that identification poster our selves. I'm sure there are enough knowledgeable folk here to get the job done right.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Hey OT, thought those were different years based on the thread I referenced in my post above. That being said, I am certainly not an expert on this particular model.

The bottom one is the 79-81 model that was my second favorite AB design.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 2 weeks later...

I started when I first went to work with Maxfli to collect irons made by them. The actual made in were two types. One was stainless. I was told only about 300 sets were made, next a very similar in carbon steel. Dunlop was based in Buffalo and built a tennis ball factory in Hartwell Ga? Not sure when but I think 70's??
Golf was done in Buffalo and the guy that ran the golf mfg in Westminster SC in 1989 new the golf history and had some heads of about all sets. My guess the heads after the Aussie heads were made in Japan or UK. I never knew.
The TM92 heads I did were made at Hoffman outside of Memphis. Tour heads made there or Dunlop Japan.
The great 80's heads were not marketed late in 1980's. By the time i got there in 1989 they were gone.
I will try to get some timing etc info so a list can be done. There was a time when in golf the brands Dunlop and Maxfli were licensed to someone and I think when the golf ball plant and club operation came down to Westminster they licensed back Maxfli. That is why all my USA product was Maxfli.
Let's see what I can find

My memory got jogged.
I picked up my original set of Maxfli Aussie blades used when I worked part-time doing club repair at a large driving range/pro shop in the suburbs of Buffalo.

One of the salesmen had worked at the Dunlop facility in Buffalo prior to working at this business. It would stand to reason that the clubs I got that were traded in were of that origin. They had the same markings as the ones I am now playing.

Great to have your input on this thread Tad!
FWIW I've been "entertaining the idea" of picking up a set of DP30's, even my little amount of research has shown up three different stampings for them, it's no wonder we have issues identifying them...

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1431914882' post='11576318']
I started when I first went to work with Maxfli to collect irons made by them. The actual made in were two types. One was stainless. I was told only about 300 sets were made, next a very similar in carbon steel. Dunlop was based in Buffalo and built a tennis ball factory in Hartwell Ga? Not sure when but I think 70's??
Golf was done in Buffalo and the guy that ran the golf mfg in Westminster SC in 1989 new the golf history and had some heads of about all sets. My guess the heads after the Aussie heads were made in Japan or UK. I never knew.
The TM92 heads I did were made at Hoffman outside of Memphis. Tour heads made there or Dunlop Japan.
The great 80's heads were not marketed late in 1980's. By the time i got there in 1989 they were gone.
I will try to get some timing etc info so a list can be done. There was a time when in golf the brands Dunlop and Maxfli were licensed to someone and I think when the golf ball plant and club operation came down to Westminster they licensed back Maxfli. That is why all my USA product was Maxfli.
Let's see what I can find
[/quote]I can shed a little light to go along with what you said. The guy that owns the John Daly golf store here was the SC distributor for Dunlop and somehow JD was in on that deal. My former business partner worked for them in that store briefly before he passed away (way to darn soon). I know they brought down a lot of stuff (about 5 truckloads) from Westminster (Greenville) I know there was a lot of store line Dunlop stuff and a lot of "Redneck Golf" stuff which was Daly's brand. In fact that is where I got the Tad Moore putter covers I sent Scooter and Kathy and he still has a lot of them along with some cheaper Dunlop grips. Never did see any TM putters. Now the ball plant when I knew it and lived in the upstate for years was the Slazenger plant right there on I-85 and then it was Dunlop/Slazenger. I think TMAG bought that plant. I do know Dunlop had that club plant in Westminster which is about 30 miles Southwest of Greenville almost at the Georgia line. I do remember when I got back into the golf business in the mid 90s the course I was working at was selling your wedges in fact we sold quite a few and they were shipping out of Westminster because we could get 1 day service from R&L freight carriers.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here is a shot of one of my Australian blade sets I recently picked up. These are DM-30 Maxfli versions, no Dunlop markings and quite likely a UK product based on some feedback from another WRX member who has a Woosnam set that matches these however his are unmarked.

My set is 2-PW and really clean! The top lines on these is wafer thin and the entire head is not much thinker but when striking the ball, they are pure!

CC

During my recent practice sessions at the range, I brought my Maxfli Australian DP-30 2-iron along to give it some swings. I am happy to say that it felt amazing, true churned butter! Had a nice and higher than expected ball flight and I was able to hit one of the greens on the range which is 225 yards out, so not bad at all! I would say it is very comparable to my current 2013 Callaway X-Forged 3-iron, which flies a little higher but overall distance was similar.

This set is staying with me for sure! Well, at least for a while :)

CC

During my recent practice sessions at the range, I brought my Maxfli Australian DP-30 2-iron along to give it some swings. I am happy to say that it felt amazing, true churned butter! Had a nice and higher than expected ball flight and I was able to hit one of the greens on the range which is 225 yards out, so not bad at all! I would say it is very comparable to my current 2013 Callaway X-Forged 3-iron, which flies a little higher but overall distance was similar.

This set is staying with me for sure! Well, at least for a while :)

CC

As we get older more modern softer shafts are the key for us. I found that out a couple years ago when I reshafted the old VIPs. Do you have a whole set of 2013 callaway X forged Irons? The reason I asked is recently I did some trading and ended up with a set with Rifle PXI 5.5 in them. Man oh man do they hit sweet! Some folks say you can not work any CB like a blade but I am here to tell you I can work the crap out of those. Right now they are in the front line money bag but I am in the process of reworking a pristine set of VIPs that Mitchell sent me. Oh trust me I will never get away completely from Mac blades.

BTW; As many of your posts as I have read in the past I never noticed you are not that far up the road from me in Fuquay. I know exactly where it is at. My old man was originally from Raliegh and I had a great aunt that lived in Fuquay. We call it Fuquay for short of course you know that

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Found this set of Aussie blades back in the spring. Believe them to be of 1981 - 83 vintage (Script Maxfli). Tried to play them, but the TTDG S300 shafts were/are to much for me these days. And didn't need another reshaft project. Narrowest sole I think I've ever seen on a "modern" iron. Were in very nice shape, couldn't hit them worth a lick. Someone else is playing them now. To many clubs, not enough time. Nice ROI though. They were handsome:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Found this set of Aussie blades back in the spring. Believe them to be of 1981 - 83 vintage (Script Maxfli). Tried to play them, but the TTDG S300 shafts were/are to much for me these days. And didn't need another reshaft project. Narrowest sole I think I've ever seen on a "modern" iron. Were in very nice shape, couldn't hit them worth a lick. Someone else is playing them now. To many clubs, not enough time. Nice ROI though. They were handsome:

Doug,

Nice looking musclebacks! I miss the "old school" golf clubs!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Thanks Alan. They were pretty sweet looking. But as I mentioned, they have been sold. Couldn't hit them particularly well. And if I don't get positive reinforcement quickly with a set of irons, they're liquidated. As was the case with these. Furthermore, I still have additional Hogans to try out moving forward. And the Macs that I've yet to play. And the.....well you know. Other stuff.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• 5 weeks later...

I though I 'd better post my latest Maxfli acquisition.. Dunlop / Maxfli Frequency Matched Australian Blades (2-SW). I'm guessing '81- '83 vintage. I'd assumed they'd be shafted with Brunswick FCM's given that they are FQ matched. Was a little surprised to see DG R400U's. All of my other Maxfli blades are taper tip.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's