2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2 weeks post first lesson with iteach (Dan C)... update w/ video

I'm starting to see some really positive changes. For years I have chronically had my arms way behind my body which created a whole host of issues in my swing with a wide range of misses from pull hooks to push fades, so it was no surprise that fixing that was pretty much all we worked on in my first lesson with Dan. Like many others have mentioned, Dan had me hit a few shots, all of which were going hooked and then he immediately told me what I needed to do. In my case, he wanted me to feel like I was aggressively rehinging the club on the forward swing almost like a short bunker shot. Seemed like a crazy fix and literally not even remotely close to what I thought needed to happen, but I went with it and my ball flight changed immediately to a slight 5-10 yard pull cut and I've pretty much hit that same shot every day since the lesson. I'm hitting the ball further with less effort with this cut than I did with my old draw and most importantly, my misses are way more playable. On top of that, the sound of my shots is completely different. So much more compression. It's not perfect and this is just the very beginning of working with Dan, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Figured I would post some pics of some of the changes I've made in the 2 weeks.

Old left (8 iron), New right (6 iron).

411308939.jpg411308940.jpg

Arms are much more in front of my body, the right elbow is working in front of my right hip rather than trapped behind it and the hands are now covering my lead thigh at impact. I have more shaft lean with this 6 iron than I did short irons before.

411308937.jpg411308938.jpg

I think this is where you can see the largest change. The amount of extension now is crazy compared to my old swing.

THE BIGGEST CHANGE.... for the first time, my body doesn't feel like I'm 90 years old after a round of golf or a bucket or two of balls. My old swing was really hard on my body especially my back.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference in right arm/elbow at impact and left arm/elbow in the follow through!

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1432859817' post='11646658']
Big difference in right arm/elbow at impact and left arm/elbow in the follow through!
[/quote]
No doubt. The hands are way more forward as well over my left (lead) leg at impact rather than being back by my rear leg. I actually started a thread about that hand position back in November.... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1097281-hands-covering-the-left-lead-thigh-at-impact/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...high-at-impact/[/url]

I honestly think I've seen more visible changes to my swing in the last 2 weeks than anytime in my golfing career.

You could have easily figured all of this out with a simple TPI graph that can be found on google images and a couple of Golf Digest articles. Why the need from an instructor I will never know. Heck, I know guys that have never had a lesson in their life and they are 10 handicaps.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Yea you're covering the ball much better with less strain on the body. Effortless power. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good swings. We all can learn from this.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Looks great. You weren't so bad before if you're a +1.1, but the improvement is significant, at least looking at impact. How are things working out with the longer clubs thus far?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Question for you dornstar: Was your tendency to sway more in the BS and thus you would get more "stuck" on the way down so therefore one of the main adjustments was with getting more rotation during the BS by loading into the right leg to prevent the flip / block? I ask because it looks like you have less moveable parts now allowing you to extend through easier.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1432866097' post='11647334']
Question for you dornstar: Was your tendency to sway more in the BS and thus you would get more "stuck" on the way down so therefore one of the main adjustments was with getting more rotation during the BS by loading into the right leg to prevent the flip / block? I ask because it looks like you have less moveable parts now allowing you to extend through easier.
[/quote]
No, my tendency has always been to stay too centered during the backswing. Outside of Dan, almost every lesson with other instructors has focused on having me get over more to the right side.

[quote name='jbw749' timestamp='1432869612' post='11647640']
Dorn, you mean he's wants you to rehinge it agressivley into the follow through? Like speed up the hands?
[/quote]
Think of a hip high to hip high swing where the club is fully set on both sides. On the through swing though, the hinge is more aggressive. This I suppose got my hands and arms moving faster.

[quote name='pingman35awg' timestamp='1432867413' post='11647452']
Great looking impact position and nice work!. Forgive for asking as I usually just lurk in the Instruction forum and hardly ever post but what do you mean when you say rehinge on the downswing. Is this like Montes "no turn cast drill"? I may be way off base here but Im curious.
[/quote]
I suppose it is similar. Really, I'm just trying to get to this position as soon as possible.

https://www.hititlonger.com/images/uploads/lessons/123.jpg

To me, it "feels" like I'm throwing the clubhead past my hands to get there Like a short bunker shot and that I'm hinging the crap out of the club, but that's not real happening. You know... feel vs real. I end up with more shaft lean and the club isn't hinging nearly as hard as I think it is.

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1432864220' post='11647120']
Looks great. You weren't so bad before if you're a +1.1, but the improvement is significant, at least looking at impact. How are things working out with the longer clubs thus far?
[/quote]
Things weren't bad, BUT if you look at the thread about low handicap score fluctuations, my swing was very volatile. Really, it's smoke and mirrors getting it done by being savvy around the course and finding a way to put a good round together. When the wheels fall off though, it can get ugly.

Long clubs have been fine. Of course when you get it wrong, you're penalized more, but I think I've seen the biggest improvement in that part of my game. I have hit more "big" drives recently than I have in a while.

an amazing difference in such a short time, great work.

id be intrigued to see the whole video of your before and after, is that something you would consider posting?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1432871967' post='11647776']
Great looking impact position and nice work!. Forgive for asking as I usually just lurk in the Instruction forum and hardly ever post but what do you mean when you say rehinge on the downswing. Is this like Montes "no turn cast drill"? I may be way off base here but Im curious.
[/quote]
I suppose it is similar. Really, I'm just trying to get to this position as soon as possible.

https://www.hititlonger.com/images/uploads/lessons/123.jpg

To me, it "feels" like I'm throwing the clubhead past my hands to get there Like a short bunker shot and that I'm hinging the crap out of the club, but that's not real happening. You know... feel vs real. I end up with more shaft lean and the club isn't hinging nearly as hard as I think it is.
[/quote]

Maybe Dan can chime in, but for me the re-hinging lessens forearm rotation, and forces arms forward. When forearms crossover too soon arms get behind and club face shuts. Although re-hinging is a wrist and hand movement (which is why it feels flippy) it's in a direction that influences arms forward, and not crossing over/behind.
Nice work Dornstar, looks much better!

I'll get some video up tomorrow or the next day. I cleared all the videos off my phone before heading out of town. Just wanted to post my scoring since my lesson since that's really what matters.

Rounds since May 12th lesson with Dan...

5/15 74
5/20 69
5/22 68
5/24 78 (76.7 rated course)
5/29 73
5/31 74

Scoring average = 72.7

Rounds after I started working with Wayne Defrancesco (Feb-May)...

88 (first round after lesson)

Scoring average = 78.3

Now, I'm a scratch golfer, so it's not like Dan turned a 10 handicap into a 0, but needless to say that he got me back on track in a hurry and a 5 stroke average improvement is a massive improvement in such a short amount of time, so I thought it was worth posting. The biggest change is not so much that my good shots are better. It's that my bad shots are [b]SIGNIFICANTLY [/b]better and my consistency is so much better than what I had when I was working with Wayne D. Part of that is the swing changes. Part of it was the kick in the a** that Dan gave me about being a perfectionist and feeling like every shot had to be struck perfectly. That talk has really freed me up and has got me focusing on advancing the ball to the target safely rather than trying to hit great feeling shots. In the past, I was routinely the guy that would get pissed as soon as the ball came off the face because it felt awful only for the ball to finish safely on the green 20 feet away. The change in mindset was every bit as important as the mechanical changes that were made. What I really like about Dan is that I saw immediate improvement. Wayne is a great player and teacher, but I struggled big time at first with him and really felt like I lost my feel for what the club was doing in the swing.

Anyways, I have a qualifier Tuesday for the Florida Amateur and I can not wait. It's been a while since I felt like I was ready going into a tournament. Looking at the 6 qualifying sites which are already been done, 76 has qualified at most locations and should give a good indication whether or not the changes are ready for tournament pressure. Wish me luck!!!

[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1432871967' post='11647776']
[/quote]

[url="https://www.hititlonger.com/images/uploads/lessons/123.jpg"]https://www.hititlon...lessons/123.jpg[/url]

[/quote]
Do you think about hinging up as soon as you start your downswing? What does this fix? From time to time in the past I have felt like to wanted to try to get to the 3 o clock position (or the hinge up position) as soon as I start my downswing because I thought that would help with arm rotation on the downswing as I tend to get the clubhead too far inside a behind me on the downswing.

Defrancesco is a joker. That guy made a youtube video advocating hinge and hold for all amateurs and how it was the fail proof method. When i questioned him he said no good pros use the bounce and all use the hinge and hold. I posted vids of Luke Donald and he deleted them along with my comments.

His mini rivalry with Brandel Chamblee is hilarious too. The guy is a quack job. Thank god you went to Dan.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Unlucky. Where were the misses ob?

[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1433123611' post='11663636']
Part of it was the kick in the a** that Dan gave me about being a perfectionist and feeling like every shot had to be struck perfectly. That talk has really freed me up and has got me focusing on advancing the ball to the target safely rather than trying to hit great feeling shots. In the past, I was routinely the guy that would get pissed as soon as the ball came off the face because it felt awful only for the ball to finish safely on the green 20 feet away. The change in mindset was every bit as important as the mechanical changes that were made.
[/quote]

Great changes and improvement. Wish I could get the quoted part into my thick skull, it is absolutely my downfall. The worst part is that it will start chipping away at my confidence on the course with a mindset that says, "that shot didn't feel right, something's wrong with my swing."

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1433272306' post='11676246']
Unlucky. Where were the misses ob?
[/quote]
1. Snap hook which came out of nowhere since I've been playing a fade. Still don't know what in the heck happened on that swing.

2. Next hole had water left and I overcorrected and hit a push fade that finished about a yard OB.

3. Hit the edge of a cart path I think because the ball took an ENORMOUS bounce to the right and then rolled down a hill finishing just barely OB. Definitely got screwed because it wasn't a bad shot.

Not qualifying is heartbreaking since I'm playing so well, but I guess I should take solace in that I am playing so well overall and I feel like I'm on the verge of some great golf. Just wasn't my day I guess.

[quote name='Hoot151' timestamp='1433274780' post='11676560']
Part of it was the kick in the a** that Dan gave me about being a perfectionist and feeling like every shot had to be struck perfectly. That talk has really freed me up and has got me focusing on advancing the ball to the target safely rather than trying to hit great feeling shots. In the past, I was routinely the guy that would get pissed as soon as the ball came off the face because it felt awful only for the ball to finish safely on the green 20 feet away. The change in mindset was every bit as important as the mechanical changes that were made.
[/quote]

Great changes and improvement. Wish I could get the quoted part into my thick skull, it is absolutely my downfall. The worst part is that it will start chipping away at my confidence on the course with a mindset that says, "that shot didn't feel right, something's wrong with my swing."
[/quote]
I hear you on that. I don't know how many times I would hit a good drive right down the middle of the fairway and a playing partner would say "great shot" only for me to respond by saying that it was low on the face or off the toe. Then I would be in the next tee trying to fix that bad contact that just hit the ball right down the pipe the previous hole. I've made a conscious effort to stop myself when I start to say or think something like that and it helps.

[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1433286522' post='11677858']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I hear you on that. I don't know how many times I would hit a good drive right down the middle of the fairway and a playing partner would say "great shot" only for me to respond by saying that it was low on the face or off the toe. Then I would be in the next tee trying to fix that bad contact that just hit the ball right down the pipe the previous hole. I've made a conscious effort to stop myself when I start to say or think something like that and it helps.
[/quote]
this is something I def need to work on, im the exact same as you were

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1433330719' post='11680396']
[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1433286522' post='11677858']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
this is something I def need to work on, im the exact same as you were
[/quote]

Me three. Or four. This is a slippery slope that ends up with you playing golf swing on the course, not golf. I've been struggling with this for years.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach