Putter Length

Tiger_StudTiger_Stud Members Posts: 73
What lengths you guys playing?
As to " who is playing 33 inch putters" probably many tour players. Very few tour players use a 35" putter once they have been fitted properly. I think Davis Love uses 32" and he is 6'6" or something like that.

Above quoted post by Baimo is out of a proshop thread.

I think it's a quite interesting fact that Love plays such a short shaft in his putter. I can't remember him addressing the ball extremely crouched or widening his stance (which lowers height a bit) like Harrington. So at his height he must have very long arms to play 32" putter.

Is there a trend towards playing shorter shafts in putters?

I am 1,84 cm which, I guess, is about 6'2" and feel much more comfortable with my 35" putter. I do own another one in 34" but am never using it.

What lenghts do you guys feel most comfortable with?

Thanks,

TS

Comments

• zip7111zip7111 Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭
    33" 350g tour cammy image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • Tiger_StudTiger_Stud Members Posts: 73
    zip7111 wrote on May 25 2005, 07:03 PM:
    33" 350g tour cammy image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    »

What's you height Zip7111?
  • 857 Pro-Ti857 Pro-Ti Music Addict Charter Members Posts: 975 ✭✭
    33" Macgregor 6.4K
  • dorfbleedorfblee Custom member title Members Posts: 833
    6' tall using a 33.5" Never Compromise Grey Zone 5. Had it at 35" and choked down most of the time- better head feel with the shortened shaft.
  • IMAGOLFERIMAGOLFER Charter Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭
    33 1/4" Gauge Design GAA3. I'm 6'1"
  • pitbull808pitbull808 Putter Hoarder Marshals Posts: 9,368 mod
    edited May 28, 2005 #7
    I'm 6'2" and for years have been using a 35" putter. Since I've been seeing so many of the pro's go to shorter putters, I've gone to 34".

Edit 5/28/05....I just picked up a Scotty 33" Mil Spec today......so now I'm down another inch. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • kiwidavekiwidave Members Posts: 802
    44 inch maltby center shaft belly, looking at getting a Guerin Rifle 2 bar though in 33 inch prob
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    Tiger_Stud wrote on May 25 2005, 11:50 AM:

I think it's a quite interesting fact that Love plays such a short shaft in his putter. I can't remember him addressing the ball extremely crouched or widening his stance (which lowers height a bit) like Harrington. So at his height he must have very long arms to play 32" putter.

I am 1,84 cm which, I guess, is about 6'2" and feel much more comfortable with my 35" putter. I do own another one in 34" but am never using it.

Thanks,

TS
    »

I recently attended a Dave Pelz short game school. During the putting session, the instructor fitted everyone for putters. The first thing they did for everyone in the class was measure for the proper length. In every case, the fitting showed that we all needed shorter putters. My putter length should be 32". The fitting also revealed that everyone needed their putter to have a more upright lie angle. It was interesting.
  • simmoboysimmoboy Members Posts: 777
    im 6'2" and use a 35" scottie cameron studio stainless neport 2
  • baimobaimo Charter Members Posts: 119
    When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for. I just thought he was wriong. But I have now made the change from 33" and it has been great.

I am 5'8"
    edited May 26, 2005 #12
    When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for.

Man that's quite a short shaft.

What are the Pelz criteria of putter fitting? What is the proper address position for putting according to the Pelz philosophy because all the fittings result in these short shafts?

TS
  • baimobaimo Charter Members Posts: 119
    Tiger_Stud wrote on May 26 2005, 10:29 AM:
    When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for.

Man that's quite a short shaft.

What are the Pelz criteria of putter fitting? What is the proper address position for putting according to the Pelz philosophy because all the fittings result in these short shafts?

TS
    »

They ask yopu to get into a position that you would feel most comfortable in. They then slip your putter into your hands at that position(my hands sat at the very bottom of my grip and the heal of the putter was off the ground.) They measure that spot for the correct legnth, lie and XXXX amount of putterhead legnths(distance) from your feet.

In theory the corrected putter will sit level on the ground with your eyes over the ball(or slightly inside) at your preferred posture.

Pelz does not advocate a shorter putter, but most of the times that is how it works out. One of the guys in our grioup was perfect at 35".

I have heard that the one reason that OEM putters are traditionall 35" is because they do not stand in a golf bag if they are shorter than that. I assume they also find that it is easier to have the putter cut down than legnthened.

Dunno the truth. But at 30.5 inches I have to make sure I have decent headweight on the putter so that I do not lose feel.
  • aussiefreddyaussiefreddy Members Posts: 442 ✭✭
    I'm 5'8 I have a 33" blade putter
  • 1018CS1018CS Irish Member Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    I am 6'3 and am comfortable with any putter from 34.5" to 36" with my playing length being 35.5"
    Cally Epic Custom Black with Diamana Whiteboard
    TM M2 DF 16.5 with Fuji Pro 95
    TM R7 ALE 7 Wood with Fuji Pro 95
    Cobra CBs 3 - 5 & MBs 6 - 9 with C-Taper 120-S
    Scratch 49* 54* 59* TD with DG S-400
    Nike 006 Prototype (No Sightline) / Scotty Button Back
  • JHRJHR Charter Members Posts: 4,347 ✭✭
    I am 5'11" and use a 33" Cameron Del Mar 3.5 Tour Oil Can.
    I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34". You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter. If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.
    IMG5 wrote on May 27 2005, 02:56 PM:
    I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.
    »

has anyone had experience with cutting their 35" to 34"? Any impact on putter?
  • zojozojo Members Posts: 854 ✭✭
    jasirob wrote on Jun 7 2005, 11:37 AM:
    I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.
    »

»

I guess it depends on what putter. It will feel lighter, but I don't think theres a ton of difference, plus you can always fix it by lead tape. I usually use a 34 or 35" putter, and I'm only 6'0"
    jasirob wrote on Jun 7 2005, 08:37 AM:
    »

»

The putter will feel less head heavy. You may tend to leave putts short for a while. You may want to compensate the weight loss with some lead tape on the head of the putter.
    Quote from Scottys FAQ's

Q: Why can you only change length 1/2 inch?

A: We can only add or subtract 1/2 inch because any additional length changes will significantly affect the swing weight and balance of your putter.

So I guess 1 inch will have an impact on your putter.

TS
    whoops, didn't see zojo already responded...
    whoops, didn't see zojo already responded...
  • corkycorky Members Posts: 2,858
    5' 9" and use a 35" (Bettinardi 35")
  • GooseGoose Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270 ✭✭
    Tiger_Stud wrote on May 25 2005, 12:50 PM:
    As to " who is playing 33 inch putters" probably many tour players. Very few tour players use a 35" putter once they have been fitted properly. I think Davis Love uses 32" and he is 6'6" or something like that.

Thanks,

TS
    »

Davis Love III actually uses a 35.25"
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
    6'-3"

34-inch putter(s)

(tried to go up to a 35 over the winter, trying to stand a little straighter and thinking I could practice easier/longer - but it didn't work - "experiment" failed miserably as I saw my putt count rise. went back to a 34 and former putting stats returned)
  • kenfujikenfuji Members Posts: 538
    6'2"

use 37"-38"
  • zojozojo Members Posts: 854 ✭✭
    well, im 6'0" and just got my cameron the other day at 35" inches, and it fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for anything better
  • dorfbleedorfblee Custom member title Members Posts: 833
    33.5" Never Compromise Greyzone 5.

6' tall.
    5'11" using Cameron's 33" 350g putters.