Billy H

Comments

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,523 ✭✭
    These courses are booked years in advance. I'm sure the USGA is a bit disappointed in the greens as well.

Billy Horshel has an opinion, but it wasn't the USGA's fault. Maybe the guys who run Chambers Bay should take some heat on the course conditions.

My wife who knows nothing about golf said "where are they playing, Death Valley?"
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2015 #63
    BMC wrote:

These courses are booked years in advance. I'm sure the USGA is a bit disappointed in the greens as well.

Billy Horshel has an opinion, but it wasn't the USGA's fault. Maybe the guys who run Chambers Bay should take some heat on the course conditions.

My wife who knows nothing about golf said "where are they playing, Death Valley?"

Approving the use of two different grasses that have two completely different growth patterns on the same green is utterly idiotic. The USGA is 100% to blame.
  • Jamboy72Jamboy72 Powered by the old school Members Posts: 5,958 ✭✭

Jamboy72 wrote:

lawsonman wrote:

Veryed wrote:

Jamboy72 wrote:

Taking the PC stance isn't always a cop out and speaking your mind isn't always the right decision - Billy seems to get these confused all the time - There's an awful lot to be said for the guy who can navigate this reality and say what needs to be said w/o coming off as an idiot...

Well said!

What did he say that made him come off a idiot? I thought his antics on the course was over the top acting but he said nothing that most everyone else is thinking but don't have the guts to say it.

The combination of his on course antics and what he said...have to remember the way you say something often has just as much of an impact as how you say it

And sometimes you have to be blunt to get the point across and draw attention to the issue.

Do you really think we need Billy's comments to figure out there are some strong feelings around the course set up and greens?
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,166 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

The USGA dictates course conditions though and I think what we've seen is poor at best.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    prorobo wrote:

Situation 1: Player gives cordial and vanilla corporate responses in interview ("Would've been nice to make a few more putts, just happy to be here").

Wrx response: These guys are robots and have no personality.

Situation 2: Player speaks their mind in the heat of the moment and essentially summarizes the vast majority of their peers' opinions.

Wrx response: He's a tool/fool/whiny b***h/etc.

Can't win here.

It's even funnier coming from a group who would make a 20 page thread about arriving at a course and finding out the greens were punched but they weren't told and their $20 prepaid greens fees weren't refundable.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    Jamboy72 wrote:

Jamboy72 wrote:

lawsonman wrote:

Veryed wrote:

Well said!

What did he say that made him come off a idiot? I thought his antics on the course was over the top acting but he said nothing that most everyone else is thinking but don't have the guts to say it.

The combination of his on course antics and what he said...have to remember the way you say something often has just as much of an impact as how you say it

And sometimes you have to be blunt to get the point across and draw attention to the issue.

Do you really think we need Billy's comments to figure out there are some strong feelings around the course set up and greens?

Who are you to determine what a person should say or not especially when asked a direct question?
  • cheetah440cheetah440 Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Billy who?
    bscinstnct wrote:

Billy see Rory.

Regular Rory or club throwing / breaking Rory?
  • golfcartegolfcarte Unregistered Posts: 3,064
    BMC wrote:

but the fact is, billy, or any other player for that matter, aren't calling out mike davis or robert trent jones jr. or whoever else involved. they are calling out the usga, a nameless, faceless, entity. for how stupid horschel's comments may have been, they could've been worse.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,028 ✭✭
    Hawkeye03 wrote:

Hawkeye03 wrote:
    jdanlaw wrote:

prorobo wrote:

Situation 1: Player gives cordial and vanilla corporate responses in interview ("Would've been nice to make a few more putts, just happy to be here").

Wrx response: These guys are robots and have no personality.

Situation 2: Player speaks their mind in the heat of the moment and essentially summarizes the vast majority of their peers' opinions.

Wrx response: He's a tool/fool/whiny b***h/etc.

Can't win here.

+100

There are ways to express displeasure without making yourself out to be a fool.

Who is more the fool? The person who sees wrong or shortcoming and points it out so next time it can be made better. ! Or the yes man who says " everything is wonderful " so as to cover for the governing body and also pave the way for this to happen again and again. I say the latter is the true fool.

Neither actually. The fool is the one who can't control their emotions and make coherent and logical argument. "I lost a little respect for the USGA this week" added no value to his argument and made him sound like a fool..

He could have said "With the amount of time and resources the USGA had to get this course right. The condition of the greens was a complete disappointment/disaster/abomination/etc"....

I respect your view. But just can't agree. Sometimes it takes a bigger hammer to drive a nail.., and never will you drive that nail with a pillow. Change doesn't come about by staying quiet or saying please. I believe in decorum and manners. But I also think there is a time to call out those in control of the situation. I.e Phil with the Ryder cup etc. you have no idea what private conversations have been had. Maybe way before this week. Obviously none had any effect. Sometimes things have to be said in public to effect change.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Jun 21, 2015 #72
    Sean2 wrote:

caniac6 wrote:

He doesn't have to play. Take a week of vacation Billy.

That is what I have been saying. These guys don't have to play. How about you think about where you are Bill? How about instead of what you are doing you could be putting on a roof in 90+ degree temperatures, or sitting in a cubicle with a boss who won't let up, or collecting someone else's garbage everyday?

The whining ungratefulness of some of these people is simply breathtaking.

The people you mentioned have the same chance to be in Billys position as he did when he spent endless hours working on his game. He wasn't born with the inate ability to make a good living playing golf. He earned his job and success.
  • toprtopr Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭
    The squeaky wheel yo!
    BMC wrote:

The USGA sends their people in to monitor the course as well as advise and support the super. They've known this was coming for years. No excuses for not having better greens.
    these greens are fine. I've seen enough green level camera angles, they are fine. Bunch of f****** whining prima donnas out there. If 95% of us putted on these we would be shaking our heads at how good they are. I've putted on Pebble late in the afternoon penty, same with Torrey, it's simply what happens with poa and it's not even that big of a deal when they are as hard and firm as these are. These guys are whining spoiled brats. That's the real story.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,166 ✭✭
    cheetah440 wrote:

these greens are fine. I've seen enough green level camera angles, they are fine. Bunch of f****** whining prima donnas out there. If 95% of us putted on these we would be shaking our heads at how good they are. I've putted on Pebble late in the afternoon penty, same with Torrey, it's simply what happens with poa and it's not even that big of a deal when they are as hard and firm as these are. These guys are whining spoiled brats. That's the real story.

You need a better TV my friend.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,104 ✭✭
    topr wrote:

The squeaky wheel yo!

It gathers no moss, b.

Billy ho. 9 majors as a pro. MC in 4.

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,179 ✭✭
    Every single thread on the front page of the tour forum is guys hating on every single aspect of the US Open, calling for people to resign from the USGA, the fans are awful, the course is awful, the greens are awful, Mike Davis should be fed to hungry pigs

And Billy Horshel says exactly what 2900 people have said on this forum already

He's horrible!!!!!!!! Feed him to pigs too

We hate everything, Yeah!!!!!! Internet in 2015!!!!!
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • Hawkeye03Hawkeye03 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    prorobo wrote:

I respect your view. But just can't agree. Sometimes it takes a bigger hammer to drive a nail.., and never will you drive that nail with a pillow. Change doesn't come about by staying quiet or saying please. I believe in decorum and manners. But I also think there is a time to call out those in control of the situation. I.e Phil with the Ryder cup etc. you have no idea what private conversations have been had. Maybe way before this week. Obviously none had any effect. Sometimes things have to be said in public to effect change.

I don't disagree.

However, Billy is not an effective hammer. He doesn't have the playing pedigree or the media relationships of a Phil Mickelson.
    what a terrible roll that was...........LOL.
    edited Jun 21, 2015 #81
    Hawkeye03 wrote:
    prorobo wrote:

I don't disagree.

However, Billy is not an effective hammer. He doesn't have the playing pedigree or the media relationships of a Phil Mickelson.

That's probably the truth. I for one wish the winner would call the usga out as well. This could have been a great event. Historical even. But does anyone think any major comes back to chambers again ? I don't. And that's a huge fail in my opinion. No one to blame but the usga.

On top of that there is now the theory that the usga insisted on fescue greens or else they wouldn't give them the U.S. Open. Why? Why not Sod them with something that would stay green and living all summer? Or at the very least like someone else said. Paint them and overseed as southern courses do in winter with Bermuda. If this theory is correct the usga should have all the flack from this.
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    Horschel has always been very intense. Feels like he's never far off flying off the handle.
  • Hawkeye03Hawkeye03 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hawkeye03 wrote:
    prorobo wrote:

I don't disagree.

That's probably the truth. I for one wish the winner would call the usga out as well. This could have been a great event. Historical even. But does anyone think any major comes back to chambers again ? I don't. And that's a huge fail in my opinion. No one to blame but the usga.

On top of that there is now the theory that the usga insisted on fescue greens or else they wouldn't give them the U.S. Open. Why? Why not Sod them with something that would stay green and living all summer? Or at the very least like someone else said. Paint them and overseed as southern courses do in winter with Bermuda. If this theory is correct the usga should have all the flack from this.

I'm not going to be holding my breath for the winner to say anything negative. I think the media is doing a good job of taking the USGA to task.

I wouldn't expect another major to be played there unless they reseed all the greens. It's a shame, having played the course it doesn't deserve the bad rap its getting.
  • matthewsivmatthewsiv Members Posts: 642
    Absolute idiot.

• mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    Cmon Billy Ho. It's not like the USGA purposely let the greens get the way they did. While unfortunate the greens were sub-par everyone has to play the same Horsch chit greens. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • Sorry Billy.....watching this putt putt style of golf around the greens has been awesome
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • Czervik n SmailsCzervik n Smails Banned Posts: 287
    How many majors has Horshel won?
    Hawkeye03 wrote:

Hawkeye03 wrote:
    prorobo wrote:

I don't disagree.

I'm not going to be holding my breath for the winner to say anything negative. I think the media is doing a good job of taking the USGA to task.

I wouldn't expect another major to be played there unless they reseed all the greens. It's a shame, having played the course it doesn't deserve the bad rap its getting.

I believe that is true as well. In a way I could like the course. I imagine green fairways and greens I could differentiate from the rough / collars. And greens that rolled true. Doesn't have to be fast. In fact slower would be better to minimize the slopes a bit.
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,699 ✭✭
    golfcarte wrote:

he can say what he wants, but to think he can say it without consequence, is naive. right or wrong, he may be apologizing for those comments later.

To who? Add in what manner?
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Posts: 898 ✭✭
    cheetah440 wrote:

Billy who?

That would be the guy who won a ten million dollar fedex cup last year. If you're going to dis someone, pick on Tiger like everyone else.