2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What's the Strongest Part of your game?

And what do you want to improve?
Hey guys,

What are you guys' strongest and weakest parts of your game. Personally my strongest part is short game, which I think all those years of chipping around the yard with a was a little tike helped with the cause. My weakest part has to be iron play, which is normally contributed by some poor tee shots. I think if I can hit some more greens in regulation, along with a few more fairways next year, my game will be much more consistant.

So, what is your strongest and weakest part of your game?

- Bryan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably my mid irons, I spent my first few golfing years just hitting 7 and 8 irons on some soccer fields by my house. Unfortunantly I don't get to use those clubs very often anymore with the way I drive. I'm either stuck in the rough with a long iron or close enough to hit a wedge. I'd really like to improve my 60 yards and in shots getting them inside of 10 feet, they were really hurting me at the end of the season.

Probably my mid irons, I spent my first few golfing years just hitting 7 and 8 irons on some soccer fields by my house. Unfortunantly I don't get to use those clubs very often anymore with the way I drive. I'm either stuck in the rough with a long iron or close enough to hit a wedge. I'd really like to improve my 60 yards and in shots getting them inside of 10 feet, they were really hurting me at the end of the season.

71396[/snapback]

I agree, those 40-80 yard shots are critical, I could only imagine if I could get them within 5-10 feet everytime :tongue: That day will be the one :help:

Cheers, Bryan

My strongest part of game is my driving, im not the longest hitter in my group but i dont miss many fairways and when i do there usually just off. My weakest part would be my mid iron play and my GIR. I can go a round and hit 13-14 fw's and only 3 or 4 greens which puts lots of pressure on my short game which is solid but im not goin to get up and down 14-15 times in a round.

brent

I am a very strong ball striker. I am long off of the tee, i usually hit about 8-10 fairways a round but when your pumping them out there the few fairways i miss i still dont have more than a 8 iron into greens.

As i said i am a strong ball stiker. I can stripe my long iron high,straight and far. probably why i like my 2 iron. Its not unusual for me to go out and hit 16 of 18 greens in a round. today i played 9 holes hit 9 of 9 greens and shot 2 under.

my short game need some work. Its very solid but it needs to improve for me to be able to shoot the scores needed when the pressure is on.

I have really begun to hone in my wedge game and can consistently stick shots to 15 ft and in...by next spring it should inprove to 10 and in(IT BETTER!!!!)

My Bunker play is VERY strong i can do anything i want out of bunkers.... i actually love being short sided bc i can throw bunker shots straight up into the air and stop them on a dime.

DaN "goose" :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

I am very fortunate to have the ability to hit the long ball off the tee but yet I have great hands around the green for a great short game, like one of the other guys endless days off chipping around the house and at the course have given me this gift.

My long irons need work, 6-5-4 when they are on they are great but when they are off look out!!! :tongue:

If I do say so myslef my short game is very impressive. Good putter (average about 27-28 putts a round) and good wedge player. However driving isn't good. About 265 yards which is okay for length but natural shot shape is duck-hook! That needs improved.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I am a very strong ball striker.  I am long off of the tee, i usually hit about 8-10 fairways a round but when your pumping them out there the few fairways i miss i still dont have more than a 8 iron into greens.

As i said i am a strong ball stiker.  I can stripe my long iron high,straight and far.  probably why i like my 2 iron. Its not unusual for me to go out and hit 16 of 18 greens in a round. today i played 9 holes hit 9 of 9 greens and shot 2 under.

my short game need some work. Its very solid but it needs to improve for me to be able to shoot the scores needed when the pressure is on.

I have really begun to hone in my wedge game and can consistently stick shots to 15 ft and in...by next spring it should inprove to 10 and in(IT BETTER!!!!)

My Bunker play is VERY strong i can do anything i want out of bunkers.... i actually love being short sided bc i can throw bunker shots straight up into the air and stop them on a dime.

DaN "goose"  ;)

71512[/snapback]

So can we take it then that a dose of humility is your weak point? (just kidding - sounds pretty impressive)

My weakness is my driving. Iron play is pretty good. All the way through really. Short game is not bad. Bunker play not fantastic, but I'm blaming that on the bunkers at my track. They're shocking, plus I don't go in them that often. My home club has about 80 bunkers on it and I regularly play without playing from one of them. Putting pretty good, although I have developed a fearsome twitch on any putt where I have to hit it :help: . Managed to calm that for the time being by putting cross handed, but it's a real b****. :tongue:

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Strongest part of my game is irons and short game. I generally hit all my irons well, and I am very confident from my 7 iron on down.

As has been stated by others I have spent a lot of time on my short game hitting pitches and chips which has resulted in a great return on investment.

Weakest is driver off the tee. Some days the confidence and swing are just not there and I will end up hitting a 3 wood off the tee to keep the ball in play. I plan on spending some time at the range and work on developing a consistent ball flight.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

depends on what day you ask me.....

i have gone times where my drives hit every fairway, great distance leaving me a scoring iron or something im comfortable with and my irons are just not on point the.

a month later i work on my irons and im dead on with them, then i cant seem to hit a fairway.

My putting has always been there for me. 3 putts are less than one a round so im happy with that. My wedge play has been fantastic since i got my Y cutters, not just because of that but thats when it started. From 110 and in i can get the ball pretty darn close. Forget trying to hit the green, thats the last thing i think about, im trying to hit 5 feet.

My iron play is good right now, my biggest flaws are the inconsitency with my driver right now and my 3 iron ( still getting used to that thin blade 3 iron sheesh) those i can fix soon, i just need to stay focused with teh rest of my game.

also i neeed to start lifting soon. I used to be a little above average with distance, but now that im getting more accurate ive lost distance, need to hit the gym.

I am never very stisfied with how i play, i always want to do better

• 2 weeks later...

Strong points in my game switch. One day, I can have a great day of putting and short game play, to the next day where I'll hit the ball perfect every time. Never has every aspect of my game come together in one perfect round, but one day... :)

Mostly, my game from 100 yards and in is my strong point. I hit 7-PW great alot of the times. My last 3 rounds, the driver, putter, and short irons were all going good, so hopefully (knockin on wood) things stay like that when the snow melts.

Like alot of other guys have said, i rarely use my long and mid-irons anymore on par 4s. It's always driver wedge on par fours. Par fives alow me to take out a hybrid, but that's it. I can't rememeber the last time I used a fairway wood on a par five.

when i look at my game as a whole, there is nothing that is always(usually) solid or something that always leaves me. its kinda just bla, and usually a couple of aspects of my game are on a day, but i dont say, well im great with my wedges, or putting, irons driving, it all comes and goes, and if something is off, something picks it up.

My strengths are definitely shot making. I hit the ball very long for my age and flush my irons almost all of the time (this has improved since I got my blades, ya, I know how that sounds), but I can not putt to save my life. Just for an example, District III tournament (state championship qualifyer) cut 148. My stats, score = 75 and 74, putts in those rounds = 33 and 34 respectively. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My strongest part of my game woudl have to be around the green (and on it of course). However, that is compromised by the fact that I don't hit that many fairways which leads to bogeys and chip outs from the trees or pichouts from fairway pots. I have found out that when I'm on fire and playing well, I hit around 90% of fairways but when I play bad or average, I only hit around 30% of fairways.

This is OT (sort of but it still is to do with improvement), but do you guys keep records of your stats and score and shots. If you don't you should. It helps you asses your weaknesses and strengths and can determine what is letting you down. This is what separates you from the average joe.

I would say that the strongest part of my game is the GIR i hit. (basically my iron play) anything from a 3-pw is usually on the green. I have to say I have a great imagination from inside the trees (you usually devolop that if you go in there often like me! as I am only 13 and usualy hit it over 270).

The worst part of my game is definatley my putting. I usually have at least 37 putts which is crap considering I hit like 14 greens and never get it up and down. My chipping is not bad always within 10 ft but I always seem to miss the putt. I have tried every thing to improve, putting rails, stupid alignement aids, lines on the ball, hours on the putting green, CHANGING PUTTER (only works for a round or so, that is why I have such a big collection), etc

I have to say my game has completly reversed in the last 2 years. My long game and irons were bad and my short game and putting was good, but now it is the opposite. I don't know why, but I guess it is because I have worked more on my long game and left out my short game.

The strongest part of my game would have to be mhy driver and long irons. I tend to hit 10-12 fairways every round and I can hit my 2 iron as staright as my 9 iron. What I need to work on is my putting and chipping. Short game is the key to success and everyone underestimates it.

Adam

The strongest Part of my game is my putting and chipping. The weakest part of my game would be with the long stick or my own mind which keeps me back from playing the best possible.......... still got alot to work on nothing is even close to good enough

THat sounds exactly like me. You seem to realise that the old saying "drive for show putt for dough" doesn't or usually never applies. It's a good combination of both that gets you the score especially the accuracy of your tee shot. That determines how you play the rest of the hole.

• 2 years later...

From tee to green I am probably the best ballstriker in the junior program at my club. I hit the ball long and straight but now I need new irons, a new driver, but i really need to work on my putting any tips. :russian_roulette:

9.5deg Titleist 913 D3/Tour AD DI 7X
15 Titleist 906f2/MR Diamana Blue 103x
21deg Adams A12 Pro black/Matrix Ozik
4-PWCallaway RazrX MB/KBS C taper Xstiff
Vokey SM4 51, 56, 60/DG X100
Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

long game is my weakness i hit my 3 iron about 180m and 10m less between each club from that i cant hit it that straight either or drive and now come to think of it i cant chit around greens that well

my strength is my driver accuracy but not my length and my 40 yards and out with lob wedge can be deadly