CSagan's stop sliding log

CSagan

I need to start a log and be accountable for my swing because what I've been doing the past 2 years has killed me.

I visit Shreveport often and may be moving there soon so was glad to see that David Tom's had opened his place up called 265. Also glad to see that I can snag some lessons from Toms' instructor Shaun Webb.

First lesson was about a week ago.

Drove up to 265 in the pouring rain so I was gonna have to have my lesson indoors. I was wanting to be indoors anyways and try out this gearsgolf stuff. I warmed up and hit some balls on trackman. 8 degrees in to out spray city! I kinda already knew that was my problem but if I tried to shift my path left it was just worse.

He put me into the gears outfit (hat/shirt/belt/knees/shoes) and I hit some shots. Now we could see where all I was going wrong. Too much secondary tilt at address, too much tilt at the top, too much tilt at the bottom. Arms were getting stuck behind and hips were sliding towards target, right shoulder dipping, all kind of junk.

Was able to see what some of the better ballstrikers on tour were doing at setup, top of backswing,

and at impact. I noticed that most of them had their spines at close to 90 degrees upright at the

top of the swing and some even were tilted slightly towards the target (I think Rickie Fowler was 87

degrees).

Anyways, he got my hips level at address - right hip high in the backswing - loaded into right leg -

then I had to feel my butt bone rotated away from the target on the downswing (helped stop the hip

slide). Hard to describe these feels in words.

eIg1YJb.jpg

The one on the left is my old and you can see I have less tilt on the right (4 degrees) and hips and shoulders are able to open up more and bring my path more left and square the face easier, arms more in front etc.

(blue is before, gold is after)

MUjAOzu.jpg

0lSbMPP.jpg

We worked together a couple more times later in the week outside on trackman and got to hitting it good. Obviously still a lot of work to do to ingrain this. Will get some video soon.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GEARS golf is some cool looking stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Titleist TSi3 9* Mitsubishi Tensi AV Raw White
Callaway XR Pro 14* Project X LZ Hand Crafted
Titleist U500 2 iron Project X HZRDUS Smoke 90
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*, & 58* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron "Art of Putting" Newport

[quote name='golfperformance' timestamp='1435277100' post='11835878']
Thanks for coming to the academy and working with me Marc. Was great to help you with your game.
[/quote]

Enjoyed it a lot. Will be back soon.

Log update:

Rejoined my old gym. Back when I was around scratch I was squatting regularly and weighed about 30lbs more. Currently weight 165 @ 6'1 and wanna gain a little back to see if I can be more stable through impact.

Played yesterday...didn't keep score. .probably shot around 77-80. Kept the driver on the planet but putted poorly.

Will do range tomorrow. Hard to practice too much it's 112 degrees out.

"then I had to feel my butt bone rotated away from the target on the downswing (helped stop the hip
slide). Hard to describe these feels in words."
What did he do to help you get this feel?

Thanks for posting the review.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1435372230' post='11842624']
"then I had to feel my butt bone rotated away from the target on the downswing (helped stop the hip

[/quote]

He kinda guided me through it more with showing me. At the start of my downswing, I felt like my left knee bumped left a tad and the space between my legs got wider, then the left hip rotated behind me and away from the target...all the while my arms came through first.

https://youtu.be/bCOXxRg-sJQ

This swing is a couple years old but has the same fault. Couldn't find any other face on. You can see on the backswing my hips go towards the target a little (thats me trying to create that space on my trail hip that you'll mentioned in some instructional stuff). You can also see the tilt I have at impact and my head backing out. That swing is with a sand wedge! Just imagine how ugly it gets with a driver. Anyways, when I get right hip high on backswing combined with that feel described above it gets my spine more vertical (still plenty of tilt) and helps me cover the ball better. Hoping it will help with some back soreness I've had for a few years now.

Thanks for asking...good to write this stuff down for myself in the future.

[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435208728' post='11830876']
loaded into right leg -
then I had to feel my butt bone rotated away from the target on the downswing (helped stop the hip
[/quote]
Hi, I am interested in what you said here. I changed my transition a couple of years ago after a Top Gun Coach gave me a couple of lessons. I used to bump left, than close the door hard with my body, causing inconsistent hits.
Now I load right side, right butt is loaded and smoothly make my transition by squatting down and left knee rotating left and forward . Something similar ?

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435376024' post='11842952']

[/quote]

He kinda guided me through it more with showing me. At the start of my downswing, I felt like my left knee bumped left a tad and the space between my legs got wider, then the left hip rotated behind me and away from the target...all the while my arms came through first.

https://youtu.be/bCOXxRg-sJQ

This swing is a couple years old but has the same fault. Couldn't find any other face on. You can see on the backswing my hips go towards the target a little (thats me trying to create that space on my trail hip that you'll mentioned in some instructional stuff). You can also see the tilt I have at impact and my head backing out. That swing is with a sand wedge! Just imagine how ugly it gets with a driver. Anyways, when I get right hip high on backswing combined with that feel described above it gets my spine more vertical (still plenty of tilt) and helps me cover the ball better. Hoping it will help with some back soreness I've had for a few years now.

Thanks for asking...good to write this stuff down for myself in the future.
[/quote]
Reason I asked is you can tell from the first picture that your left hip is further behind. This is a position I struggle to get in.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='32quattro' timestamp='1435406448' post='11843788']
[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435208728' post='11830876']
loaded into right leg -
[/quote]
Hi, I am interested in what you said here. I changed my transition a couple of years ago after a Top Gun Coach gave me a couple of lessons. I used to bump left, than close the door hard with my body, causing inconsistent hits.
Now I load right side, right butt is loaded and smoothly make my transition by squatting down and left knee rotating left and forward . Something similar ?
[/quote]

Pretty similar.

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1435419605' post='11844696']Reason I asked is you can tell from the first picture that your left hip is further behind. This is a position I struggle to get in.
[/quote]

Thats why I love that gearsgolf. Was able to see the feedback on such a minute thing instantly every time. Made it a lot quicker to understand.

[quote name='swats' timestamp='1435441462' post='11846076']
Yeah, the gearsgolf looks cool. I thought you were working with iTeach?
[/quote]

I was. I hurt my back and was out of the game for a while and then just didn't care about my game due to not being able to play but a couple times a month without my back killing me. I would've went back to him in a heartbeat but we just live so far away from each other. Thought about going to Monte but he's a 4 hour drive.

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1435458846' post='11847516']
Gears looks awesome. Wish there was a place closer to me. Are you planning on going back?
[/quote]

Definitely. I travel there a decent amount during the summer so might as well snag some good instruction while I'm there. Probably won't stray as long as he there...the facility/instruction combo is too strong.

[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435347535' post='11840744']
Thanks for coming to the academy and working with me Marc. Was great to help you with your game.
[/quote]

Log update:

Rejoined my old gym. Back when I was around scratch I was squatting regularly and weighed about 30lbs more. Currently weight 165 @ 6'1 and wanna gain a little back to see if I can be more stable through impact.

Played yesterday...didn't keep score. .probably shot around 77-80. Kept the driver on the planet but putted poorly.

[/quote]

Hows your back feeling Marc? Also, Driver feeling any better?

Director of Instruction
David Toms Golf Academy
Shreveport, LA
PGA Class A Member
Trackman, Swing Catalyst
GEARS 3D Motion Capture

www.athleticmotiongolf.com

www.davidtoms265.com

www.shaunwebbgolf.com

[quote name='golfperformance' timestamp='1435502552' post='11849326']
[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435347535' post='11840744']
[/quote]

Log update:

[/quote]

Hows your back feeling Marc? Also, Driver feeling any better?
[/quote]

Back is good. Driver was better the other day but it's been too hot out to practice at all. :/

Hit some balls yesterday. Was hot as .....well hot.

Good news I didn't hit one block out to the right...not one! Main focus was high right hip/ loading into right leg/ more vertical spine through impact. I wasn't striping it but it was encouraging to not hit the huge block/hurting my back.

I think I'm just gonna continue to do some indoor mirror work and play every now and then. Way too dang hot to be hitting balls.

[quote name='CSagan' timestamp='1435858955' post='11877054']
Hit some balls yesterday. Was hot as .....well hot.

Good news I didn't hit one block out to the right...not one! Main focus was high right hip/ loading into right leg/ more vertical spine through impact. I wasn't striping it but it was encouraging to not hit the huge block/hurting my back.

I think I'm just gonna continue to do some indoor mirror work and play every now and then. Way too dang hot to be hitting balls.
[/quote] Great to hear your back is feeling better as that is priority #1.

Director of Instruction
David Toms Golf Academy
Shreveport, LA
PGA Class A Member
Trackman, Swing Catalyst
GEARS 3D Motion Capture

www.davidtoms265.com

www.shaunwebbgolf.com

[/quote] Have to say I stole the tailbone backing up idea from my buddy HalSutton...said he played some of his best golf with only this feel.

Director of Instruction
David Toms Golf Academy
Shreveport, LA
PGA Class A Member
Trackman, Swing Catalyst
GEARS 3D Motion Capture

www.davidtoms265.com

www.shaunwebbgolf.com

[quote name='golfperformance' timestamp='1435954912' post='11883312']

[/quote] Have to say I stole the tailbone backing up idea from my buddy HalSutton...said he played some of his best golf with only this feel.
[/quote]

Hal who? It'd get boring fast watching David and him hit balls I bet.

Here's some film from other day.

Wedge: Still under plane blah.
[media=]http://youtu.be/yEaz_ZxBuaI[/media]

5 iron FO: Just kind of a bunt swing...trying to hit it 100...still went 175 probably.
http://youtu.be/knh9RDTDAew

Feel like since I hurt my back I've lost some shoulder turn. Have been doing some stretches and making mock swings with broom handle on my back to work on that.

Appreciate any feedback Shaun!

• 1 year later...

Have to say I stole the tailbone backing up idea from my buddy HalSutton...said he played some of his best golf with only this feel.

Ok back in the saddle.

So my back was a little tender last winter...then played a little in Jan/Feb and played awful...didn't hit a ball all summer. Not one. Didn't even swing a club indoors. Pretty crazy considering all the money spent (years prior) trying to get better going to see Slicefixer/Iteach/Shaun, doing video lesson with Dan Whittaker...sending Dana Dalhquist emails about rates, watching Monte's videos..wondering what could come of all this if I one day found that magic move. Anyone else get that thought ever?

So some backstory.

I was a typical mid 80's golfer (with blades of course lol). Found a slicefixer thread on a poker forum....which lead me to Encyclopedia Texarkana which lead me to golfwrx eventually. I remember first booking a 3 day school with Geoff. It was August 2011. I can remember it well because it was in the middle of a terrible drought and it was 112-113-112 degrees during my 3 days there. So brutal but I loved it cause no one else would come out and hit in the heat so it was just me and Slicefixer. Geoff was spraying that cooling sunscreen on his face to cool off haha, it was just brutal. Practiced a ton under Geoff and played a lot of tourneys trying to get better. Shot 69 in a tourney...and a 67 one day with 10 birdies (choke city) in a points game. Felt like I was just missing something and wasn't puring enough shots. So two years under Geoff went from an 8 to a +1 although I'd probably say I was a little more like a 1 or a 2.

Starting seeing Dan Carahher post on here and youtube videos. Had another guy in Vegas that wanted to do a school so he flew Iteach out here for 3 days. I got my course to host us and we had a blast. Dan had me hitting it like a star. I was happy. We got along well and he would always respond super quick to any questions or videos. Went down to Jacksonville a little while later and on my last swing of the 3 days I pinched my back and was done for a couple years really. Never saw Dan again due to back being shot and the long distance to see him.

There's before and after with Dan. I guess slicefixer before/dan after..arms more in front with Dan.

Looking back its easy to see the hang back at impact being awful on my back. I still have that move.

Watching ggswingtips awesomeness lately has peaked my interest again and gave me a good feel for the pivot and to get rid of that slide/hangback. Its funny I'm learning something new from gg that Shaun had me doing in June last year. Maybe I should try and be a little more receptive. :/

Lesson booked next Thursday to get back on track.

Enjoyed reading this. Keep it updated.

Thanks Roc.

Hey man saw your post in another thread and wondered how you were doing. I remember seeing your videos on iteach'a YouTube around the same time as Tembolo/Qmany/Lv2Hack. Keep up the good work. I'll be following.

Yeah been a while since tembolina days... What's he up to?

Looks like qmany stuck with it and is looking pretty solid these days.

Enjoyed reading this. Keep it updated.

Thanks Roc.

Hey man saw your post in another thread and wondered how you were doing. I remember seeing your videos on iteach'a YouTube around the same time as Tembolo/Qmany/Lv2Hack. Keep up the good work. I'll be following.

Yeah been a while since tembolina days... What's he up to?

Looks like qmany stuck with it and is looking pretty solid these days.

Yeah man. He's gone radio silent. Last time I spoke to him was probably Summer 2015.

Q's got some real talent. Nice for his hard work to pay off.

Swing looks great! Will be following

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en